ADVERTISEMENT

TULSA 2020 American Conference Men's Basketball C0-Champions (at least)

On ESPN Bubble Watch

Tulsa.
The mock brackets have no problem making room in the projected field for Houston. Yet it's the Golden Hurricane leading the Cougars in the American race and not the other way around. In fact, with a win at Wichita State, Frank Haith's team will reign supreme as the outright American champion.

One factor dragging down Tulsa's at-large chances, however, is an abnormally low NET ranking. While it appears teams like UCLA could compel the committee to enter new territory in low NET rankings for at-large bids, dipping all the way down to the 80s would still be a stretch.

The Golden Hurricane's NET ranking is perhaps equal parts the product of bad losses (Colorado State and, especially, Arkansas State, both at home) and a level of per-possession performance over the season as a whole that's been less impressive than the team's won-loss record in conference play.

My all time favorite Bob Newhart skit was him being at the return counter trying
to get a refund on his "Mr. Wonderful" hairpiece that had fallen into the onion
dip at his Co.'s Xmas party.....

Did he have any RC?

So let me get this straight the game means just as much to shockers if not more because 4th place Wichita is in if they beat regular season champ and champ Tulsa is out doesn’t make sense

November and December games against weak opponents are "Win or you can't go to the NCAA" games. Our team was just not ready for those early season games.....again....and I hope that doesn't prevent the kids from the NCAA experience.

I’m starting to think like II, we win the next three and I think we get the at-large if we lose the championship game. Of course, we have to win Sunday first and WSU is going to be hungry.

It would really suck if we lose Sunday, make it to the championship game then Memphis gets an at-large.

I like our chances to win at least a couple of games in the tournament. We are a tough team to prepare for. We do that and we are going to be hard to leave out.

And our NET is in the 70s. And Co State was neutral site.

So that blurb is basically bull%$#@.

Someone should mention to Lunardi by his logic of not letting in teams with bad losses, Kentucky shouldn't be sniffing the tournament. They have the worst loss in the entire nation. An Evansville team that didnt win a single game in conference.
But wait, they're in the almighty SEC so they get a pass

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
The NET is a joke and is being given way too much importance. The committee will look at other factors than NET.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Can anyone answer this about the tiebreaker? If we lose at WSU snd Cincy snd Houston win, we’ll all tie for 1st. Will we be seeded 3rd since we split with Houston and 0-1 with Cincy?

1 Cincy, 2 Houston, 3 Tulsa 4 WSU. We just need to win Sunday and not worry about it.

Can anyone answer this about the tiebreaker? If we lose at WSU snd Cincy snd Houston win, we’ll all tie for 1st. Will we be seeded 3rd since we split with Houston and 0-1 with Cincy?

1 Cincy, 2 Houston, 3 Tulsa 4 WSU. We just need to win Sunday and not worry about it.
Yes if we lose at WSU we finish 3rd unless Cincy or Houston lose too

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Funny they mentioned UCLA, I have noticed the talking heads fascination with the Bruins for the past two weeks now I also noticed that their NET metric was similar to Tulsa the difference is UCLA was getting the love while we were ignored.

Let's beat Wichita and its a done deal I think we will get Wichita's spot or perhaps Cincy's spot.

GO TU!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Original TULSAFAN
Someone should mention to Lunardi by his logic of not letting in teams with bad losses, Kentucky shouldn't be sniffing the tournament. They have the worst loss in the entire nation. An Evansville team that didnt win a single game in conference.
But wait, they're in the almighty SEC so they get a pass
UK also lost that at Rupp. lol.

Reactions: tulsahurricane0530
A trophy will look just fine, assuming the TU women softballers & volleyballers will give us space in the trophy case.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Out of conf means more under current net system
Arkansas State hurts... two 40 point losses hurt... Kansas state hurts... UTA hurts... I've seen this since 1980, early losses and blowouts hurt because the LOOK bad and give basketball elites a reason to keep teams like Tulsa out

The blowouts only hurt because they kill our net rating. No one on the committee will care about MOV in any particular game

I just don't want to play SMU in the 1st round of AAC tourney in Fort Worth. I hate playing teams in their home area in tourneys. I know SMU isn't next door to Fort Worth, but it is still in the area.

Nobody else worries me. They are all capable, but all beatable.

Winning at Wichita State would solve a lot of problems.

I'd love to play UConn. I know they are playing well, but they trashed talked us after their garbage win without Rachal at end. I'd bet TU would unleash hell on them. Send those jerks off whimpering to their choice conference.

Btw, UConn press people covering game here were a..es. After winning, complaining to TU sid dept. The level of morons rarely seen.

I’d like to play UConn again. Igbanu owns them and we’re a different team with Rachal on the court

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT