ADVERTISEMENT

Tulane Game Thread

If Monty starts Chad next game. That would be gross negligence for showing unusual preference for a QB that can't throw and not able to get the job done. In fact he could accused of that for the last two games.

Last edited:
Skip should and I think will start next week. Been a tough situation, loyalty to Pres as first recruit and having been here 2 years in the waiting. Don't disagree with giving him a shot, but agree the change should have been made halftime vs UNM.

President has to play in some way. Some type of package that features Pres with run/pass option. Iowa St's been successful today with Lanning, who also starts at LB.

At least we won the 2H 21-14!~~
Our D can stop their 2nd and 3rd team and scout team offenses. Damn, I’m pretty sure Rudy and his tutor both got carries on that last drive.

Also, we need some changes in the OL. Willie and Uhles aren’t getting it done

ISU!! I love the underdogs! I guess that’s why I love TU and that I’m an Alumni and supporter for life! Better seasons always come.

Reactions: TULSARISING
My only hope is that this complete embarrassment causes Montgomery to do an honest evaluation of the personnel he's recruiting and more importantly the coaches on his staff.
Nick Saban couldn't make this bunch a winning program. We have inferior talent at defensive tackle (there's not a single run stopper and we get no push up the middle). I didn't realize what we had last year with Hayden Carmen and the Baylor transfer at D-Tackle,but what we have now is D-2 caliber. This staff needs to recruit, recruit and recruit. The one overall strength of Todd Graham's tenure was bringing quality football talent to TU's program. Right now they need to find another Tyruun Walker, Cory Dorris, Dexter McCoil and some fast linebackers. If you think the attendance has been bad just wait for these last three home games. God its hard to stick with a loser but I've been coming to TU games since I was a kid (Billy Van Burkleo and Jerry Rhome days), so I've always had that underdog mentality and I'll keep rooting for little old TULSA HURRICANE !

Agree, obviously the players are not responding to these defensive coaches. Extreme situations call for extreme actions.
There's alot of QUIT in this defense. Posters here want Young and Norwood fired , well name me one credible coach who could turn this bunch around. What could he do ? "Hey guys, if you don't mind how about playing today's game with some passion and maybe just a little nasty in your repertoire. Pretty Please?" A coach can make a difference in one or two ballgames, but if you don't have the horses your going to get your ass beat. Even by Tulane Green Wave.

There's alot of QUIT in this defense. Posters here want Young and Norwood fired , well name me one credible coach who could turn this bunch around. What could he do ? "Hey guys, if you don't mind how about playing today's game with some passion and maybe just a little nasty in your repertoire. Pretty Please?" A coach can make a difference in one or two ballgames, but if you don't have the horses your going to get your ass beat. Even by Tulane Green Wave.
I agree but he has the responsibility to recruit those players and bench them

Watching u old guys like each others posts is funny, since I've said the same thing the last few games and get ridiculed by the big bad cyber bullies for saying the exact same things. Cracks me up.

Skipper should have played the last 3 games. Monty is stubborn, a poor recruiter, a poor talent evaluator, and clearly plays favorites. He has no control of his defense, doesn't make changes, clearly can't motivate his players, lacks good play calling, etc. I really can't name one good attribute about him so far this year, other than finally playing the superior QB in game 6.

He doesn't need to be fired this year. But if we win less than 6 games next year, he should be gone.

Now, continue to bash me. And in 2 games repeat what I've already said and stroke each other's cyber ego then.

Also, skipper could win us 2 more games. Though the defense will likely lose it for him.

I like you. I don't know y I get so much hate here, lol. I just want us to be relevant. Watching the student section at Kyle field tonight made me so envious. Such pride, great tradition, I wish Tulsa had that. Tulsa will always be my #1 team. I just want us to at least be competitive.

Watching u old guys like each others posts is funny, since I've said the same thing the last few games and get ridiculed by the big bad cyber bullies for saying the exact same things. Cracks me up.

Skipper should have played the last 3 games. Monty is stubborn, a poor recruiter, a poor talent evaluator, and clearly plays favorites. He has no control of his defense, doesn't make changes, clearly can't motivate his players, lacks good play calling, etc. I really can't name one good attribute about him so far this year, other than finally playing the superior QB in game 6.

He doesn't need to be fired this year. But if we win less than 6 games next year, he should be gone.

Now, continue to bash me. And in 2 games repeat what I've already said and stroke each other's cyber ego then.

Also, skipper could win us 2 more games. Though the defense will likely lose it for him.
I hate to say it but I completely agree with you on your post. If Skipper had started 3 games ago this would be a better team. Not great but better. You know Monty was waiting to see if Chad would ever get better at throwing. (Wasn't going to happen) In stead he proceeded to get worse especially in this last game.

I like you. I don't know y I get so much hate here, lol. I just want us to be relevant. Watching the student section at Kyle field tonight made me so envious. Such pride, great tradition, I wish Tulsa had that. Tulsa will always be my #1 team. I just want us to at least be competitive.

Well.. if Tulsa graduated goose stepping morons by the thousands every year, we could be like A&M..

You have no ability to understand the difference between what you post, & what others post. You think because there is some bit of similarity between the posts that they are saying the exact same thing. They are not.(Timing is everything, and how you say something is important.)

Also you contribute nothing to the conversations about how to build that tradition of which you are so envious. You just bitch when you don't like what you see on the field. Which is pretty darned often. You don't have anything constructive to say you just criticize, and say things like let's fire him. (And there are reasons for that tradition that you don't always seem to be very aware of.)

You seem to be saying some things now that are more in the vain of thinking before you post, that is not usually the case. You are an extremely rash, reactionary poster who often doesn't appear to think before typing.

And you just 'wanting us to be competitive' is not the thing people get out of your posts. That is why you get so much hate mail on here.

Last edited:
You have no ability to understand the difference between what you post, & what others post. You think because there is some bit of similarity between the posts that they are saying the exact same thing. They are not.(Timing is everything, and how you say something is important.)

Also you contribute nothing to the conversations about how to build that tradition of which you are so envious. You just bitch when you don't like what you see on the field. Which is pretty darned often. You don't have anything constructive to say you just criticize, and say things like let's fire him. (And there are reasons for that tradition that you don't always seem to be very aware of.)

You seem to be saying some things now that are more in the vain of thinking before you post, that is not usually the case. You are an extremely rash, reactionary poster who often doesn't appear to think before typing.

And you just 'wanting us to be competitive' is not the thing people get out of your posts. That is why you get so much hate mail on here.

Dilly! Dilly!

Reactions: TU_BLA

I'll never agree with this boards "Negative Nancy". Fire Phil Montgomery ? We're lucky to have him . Coach Montgomery will get us past this freefall.

Ahh, I see what you did, that was awesome. You went from saying something dumb and naive (fire Monty now) and now are suddenly saying the grown up, mature things that the rest of us have said all along (give the young coach a chance to work his way through it), and better yet, you're rewriting history to say it's what you said all along, and best of all, now you're claiming it was your idea from the beginning! That was cute. When you get a little more experienced you'll figure out better when you can get away with those little tricks and when you can't but kudos for trying.

Meh, I'm still ok with him leaving, just being a realist that he won't be fired at the earliest to after next season. As I said before, he's a stubborn, bad coach unwilling to make adjustments. He has little to no fire or drive, at least it appears that way. I'd rather take the Graham F bombs and anger over Monty's passive ho-hum attitude towards losing to TULANE. It'll be great if I'm wrong and he gets us a conference championship next year with Skipper, but with this defense, and his poor recruiting/motivational skills...I doubt it.

Did you watch the Coach's show on youtube? He looked like he could care less about coaching and losing that game. Just a ho-hum guy who looks like he accepts the losses at the coin flip.

Meh, I'm still ok with him leaving, just being a realist that he won't be fired at the earliest to after next season. As I said before, he's a stubborn, bad coach unwilling to make adjustments. He has little to no fire or drive, at least it appears that way. I'd rather take the Graham F bombs and anger over Monty's passive ho-hum attitude towards losing to TULANE. It'll be great if I'm wrong and he gets us a conference championship next year with Skipper, but with this defense, and his poor recruiting/motivational skills...I doubt it.

Did you watch the Coach's show on youtube? He looked like he could care less about coaching and losing that game. Just a ho-hum guy who looks like he accepts the losses at the coin flip.
I don't think you really know what a stubborn coach is. A stubborn coach is looking at your terrible offense and bringing in your kid as WB coach the next year. Stubborn coach is refusing to play zone and then when you finally do, rolling it out in a way to make sure it fails so you can say "I told you so". Waiting a few games longer than optimal isn't stubborn as far as coaches go. As I recall, Graham Cracket called plays the entire year his team sucked and we thought he was too stubborn but gave it up the next year. So you never know, but if Monty really makes the switch now, then that's not really stubborn. Especially if he also opens up the playbook some for Skipper.

I'm much more concerned about not having any accountability for the D failures. I don't see how you just keep going after that disaster.

Coach is very energetic. He also realizes a 1-5 team is fragile and is looking to the coach for some sense of confidence.

He makes 7 figures a year. He should be energized and excited every damn day he wakes up or checks his bank account. It'd be great to see locker room celebrations again like we did last couple years. 10 wins kinda spoiled us, only 1 at this point in the schedule seems cataclysmic.

Better yet - Tulsa used to have swagger. I know its not really possible anymore this season, but we used to expect to win. When we won at home, we played "Another One Bites the Dust." When we went on the road to Arkansas, we expected to win (and should have but for an absolute obsession with the stupid wildcat). That made every loss devastating and drove us to do better. Now getting blown out by Tulane is embarrassing, but I can't say its devastating.

We started the year without any attitude that I could pick up on. The most energized part of our team is the enormous crowd of red shirts freaking out before every kickoff. We need to find our swagger back - if Skipper provides that spark, God bless him.

Better yet - Tulsa used to have swagger. I know its not really possible anymore this season, but we used to expect to win. When we won at home, we played "Another One Bites the Dust." When we went on the road to Arkansas, we expected to win (and should have but for an absolute obsession with the stupid wildcat). That made every loss devastating and drove us to do better. Now getting blown out by Tulane is embarrassing, but I can't say its devastating.

We started the year without any attitude that I could pick up on. The most energized part of our team is the enormous crowd of red shirts freaking out before every kickoff. We need to find our swagger back - if Skipper provides that spark, God bless him.
Ah yes I remember those days well. Long, long ago in the good old days, when we'd win 10 games a season, 12 if not for crooked refs. Thinking we could beat anybody and almost doing it. Funny as you get older your memory plays tricks on you. That almost seems like just last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT