ADVERTISEMENT

TU Women's Soccer Fall 2023

No TN sucks. My personal favorite story was being on an average Oklahoma team and being the Tennesee State Champs Memphis Rangers 4-0. It was a rainy day at the Germantown Tournament. We were smoking their asses, and they were so pissed. They actually got 4 red cards in the game. All came after the fourth goal.

The next day we came out and Scott Gallagher handed out an all-time ass-kicking to us 7-1. I still maintain to this day it is the worst loss I have had at any age because of how outclassed I felt.

No Memphis sucks. Nashville is where it is at now.

I think the South is

1. North Texas
2. South Texas
3. FL
4. GA
5. NC

6,7,8 some order of SC,OK, TN

LA, MS, AL all really really suck
Looks correct to me. The only state I would rank above Texas is California btw (girls side).

Three members of the women’s team received all AAC honors. Can’t link the story. An interesting tidbit….all three are from Oklahoma. Two from the metro. Hope the staff is paying attention.

The ladies play SMU tomorrow afternoon in the first round of the AAC tourney. Looks to be a winnable game.

Reactions: TU_BLA
UAB and Memphis tied @ 1 with about 6 minutes left in the 1st AAC quarterfinal. Would be a monumental upset

Memphis just scored w/ 3 minutes left to go up 2-1. Against the run of play. Since I turned it on it seemed like UAB had been on the front foot of this one.

Memphis just scored w/ 3 minutes left to go up 2-1. Against the run of play. Since I turned it on it seemed like UAB had been on the front foot of this one.
It’s funny how the better teams seem to be able to find a way to score those game winning goals even when they aren’t controlling the game.

It’s funny how the better teams seem to be able to find a way to score those game winning goals even when they aren’t controlling the game.
What I will say is it seems that the UAB coach may have planted a bug in the ref's ear about Memphis' physicality maybe not being within the allowed boundaries of the game. I turned it on with 6.5 minutes left and within 3 minutes I saw 4 fouls whistled on Memphis and the Memphis players were none too happy with one player mouthing "That's BS, that hasn't been called all season".
On Memphis' 2nd goal, UAB completely butchered the entire thing. Memphis was out on a counter, defender made a nice play to poke the ball out for a throw-in but then UAB fell asleep and didn't mark the trailing back who moved up into the attack who was able to serve an unmolested ball into the middle of the box which was then headed home by Memphis. Goal scorer was marked initially but the UAB defender didn't read the play and allowed the attacker to get across her and head the ball home with a clean look.

2nd quarterfinal, #5 Charlotte leads #4 ECU 2-0 twenty minutes in. 1st goal came 45 seconds in on a shot from 22 yards. Went right over the ECU keeper's hand. 2nd goal came on a free kick from about 35-40 yards on the angle. Charlotte player went directly at goal and cleared the ECU GKs hand.

As I was typing this, Charlotte scored a 3rd. This one went upper 90 from the top of the 18. GK had no chance on this one but it's pretty obvious Charlotte's game plan is to shoot high whenever they get a chance as the ECU Gk is not able to cover the bar.

2nd quarterfinal, #5 Charlotte leads #4 ECU 2-0 twenty minutes in. 1st goal came 45 seconds in on a shot from 22 yards. Went right over the ECU keeper's hand. 2nd goal came on a free kick from about 35-40 yards on the angle. Charlotte player went directly at goal and cleared the ECU GKs hand.

As I was typing this, Charlotte scored a 3rd. This one went upper 90 from the top of the 18. GK had no chance on this one but it's pretty obvious Charlotte's game plan is to shoot high whenever they get a chance as the ECU Gk is not able to cover the bar.
D1 goalies who can’t come close to covering the bar are one of my pet peeves. ECU’s keeper appeared woefully short of the bar on a few of those.

Reactions: TU_BLA
D1 goalies who can’t come close to covering the bar are one of my pet peeves. ECU’s keeper appeared woefully short of the bar on a few of those.
I went to ECU's website to see her bio and hoping they listed her height...they did not. She didn't look very tall. She was the SR GK on the roster but honestly there were a number of things she did not do very well IMO. She certainly didn't read plays well and she didn't look terribly athletic. Bad combo for GKs.

I am watching the MIT vs Coast Guard Academy match right now. Quarterfinals of the NEWMAC. One of the weirdest things I've ever seen is a college level GK not setting up his own wall and a field player setting the position of the wall on a free kick. Coast Guard leads 1-0 on a header off a set piece but the MIT butchered the play getting caught in no man's land after initially deciding to come off his line and then deciding that was a bad idea and he was just stuck. Coast Guard's GK has only had to come up with 1 big save and he must be in there for is shot stopping because he's not very good with the ball at his feet (he seems to be treating it like the ball is on fire) and his distribution is meh at best.

TU game should be starting here soon.

Ladies lost 2-1 to SMU. SMU was the better side for most of the game from the looks of things. We really need to sign a few high level girls in the 2024 class to be able to realistically compete for a conference ship.

Ladies lost 2-1 to SMU. SMU was the better side for most of the game from the looks of things. We really need to sign a few high level girls in the 2024 class to be able to realistically compete for a conference ship.
I will say TU is closer to being good than they are to being bad. They were really organized on defense. 1st goal was a little bit of an unlucky break. Some of the issue is TU tends to sit back and absorb pressure hoping to find a counter when the opportunity presented itself. And they were pretty efficient on the counters. Usually when you're unwilling to press it is a sign of a lack of quality depth. I think TU has some good players to build around, they just need more good players.

That said, I still don't think Rhein is the answer for TU. I don't think he has the mettle to recruit at this level and to convince the local talent to stay here. And there's plenty of local talent to be had the next 2-3 years.

Don't follow Womens Soccer much but there was a fine feature article today in The TW on the 3 Fernandez sisters starting for TU, the only uni in the country with 3 doing so. They all appear to be pretty salty with parents who taught them the technical aspect of the game from day 1.

The only problem is that they are all members of the Mexican NT and will no doubt bedevil our gals down the road.

Don't follow Womens Soccer much but there was a fine feature article today in The TW on the 3 Fernandez sisters starting for TU, the only uni in the country with 3 doing so. They all appear to be pretty salty with parents who taught them the technical aspect of the game from day 1.

The only problem is that they are all members of the Mexican NT and will no doubt bedevil our gals down the road.
They’re a great story. Not sure they have the quality to pose the US national teams girls many issues though.

National signing day is Weds. Anyone heard anything about either the men’s or women’s soccer classes ?

National signing day is Weds. Anyone heard anything about either the men’s or women’s soccer classes ?
No, TU usually keeps these things quiet until after LOIs are in. And it's not like a football or basketball player where people are following the recruits and then retweeting. I mean the recruit could have tagged TU in their verbal commitment but unless we're stalking the soccer players. TU's soccer accounts can't retweet or promote those verbal commitments within NCAA rules, and they can't comment on them. My guess is Tom has several lined up both US based players as well as a good crop of international players. Maybe Erling Haaland has a younger sibling who needs to cut his teeth in US college soccer before returning to Europe. This would be a great place for him.

Reactions: lawpoke87
No, TU usually keeps these things quiet until after LOIs are in. And it's not like a football or basketball player where people are following the recruits and then retweeting. I mean the recruit could have tagged TU in their verbal commitment but unless we're stalking the soccer players. TU's soccer accounts can't retweet or promote those verbal commitments within NCAA rules, and they can't comment on them. My guess is Tom has several lined up both US based players as well as a good crop of international players. Maybe Erling Haaland has a younger sibling who needs to cut his teeth in US college soccer before returning to Europe. This would be a great place for him.
I typically see a post by TSC, Energy, etc…of a player or two committing to TU (girls). Haven’t seen anything for this class. Very curious to see our signees on Weds.

Looks like they signed 2. 1 from Eureka, MO (just outside of St. Louis) and one from Charlotte, NC.

Looks like they signed 2. 1 from Eureka, MO (just outside of St. Louis) and one from Charlotte, NC.
Disappointed we didn’t sign any girls from Oklahoma. Kaleigh Hart is from IMG Academy which I thought was interesting. Also…our social media and PR efforts are lacking regarding signing day

Disappointed we didn’t sign any girls from Oklahoma. Kaleigh Hart is from IMG Academy which I thought was interesting. Also…our social media and PR efforts are lacking regarding signing day
I found these on Instagram.

Just FYI….TU women’s soccer is hosting an ID camp on January 20th. 8th grade thru college sophomore’s are invited.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT