ADVERTISEMENT

TU Women @ Memphis

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
For anyone who watched, the way they played down the stretch is the exact opposite of what the men do. They make big plays on both ends of the court. Someone steps up if one of the primary scorers isn't scoring. Yesterday, it was Maddie Bittle. I think she had 22 pts including a huge 3 with about 12 seconds left to put TU up 3. Not only that, TU ran the shot clock down as I think they were trying to go to Poindexter inside and Memphis took it away so TU just recirculated the ball and ran a ball screen for Bittle in the corner. The execution of what they want to do is very high right now. TUs biggest problem was hitting layups as they got to the rim for open looks pretty easily against Memphis (who was 9-2 coming in). TU also pushed the tempo in this game to take advantage of some of the brawn Memphis had on the court at times.

This team is fun to watch although it is still under sized a bit. Once Nelp gets the players she wants in, and she will get the players she wants, this team is going to take off as Nelp seems to be a great coach in prep and for in-game adjustments. How long can TU keep her?

Its fun to watch coaches who know how to handle the last two minutes and watch players who will respond appropriately.

Reactions: TU 1978
Its fun to watch coaches who know how to handle the last two minutes and watch players who will respond appropriately.
Bro...I watched the time out huddles late in the game. EVERY player was focused pretty intently on Nelp or the assistant who was talking, Nelp was relatively calm, and everyone seemed on the same page. I frequently see Haith and co. look lost for the 1st 15-20 seconds of the timeout and then frantically try to get a point across while the guys not in the game are looking around the arena.

The difference is evident in the records of the two teams right now. And Memphis wasn't a bunch of slouches. I don't think TU is going to win the conference but they do have a chance to finish above .500 in conference and maybe top 4 in the league and with a roster that is very undersized. Anyone who has not seen Poindexter play needs to and the 2 guys on the ESPN+ call raved about her all night.

Love this team, but they did just blow a 10 point lead in the final 4 minutes against San Fran. If the men's team had a schedule similar to the women's they would probably have a similar record.

Love this team, but they did just blow a 10 point lead in the final 4 minutes against San Fran. If the men's team had a schedule similar to the women's they would probably have a similar record.
I don't blame Nelp one bit for this schedule. In major rebuilds like this, you have to build some confidence. TU is now winning games against teams and in places they would not have won last year. Hell, they destroyed ORU and that game has always been tight and usually goes ORU's way. Beating Memphis on the road is huge for this team. And then they're not only winning games against middling to low level teams, they're blowing those teams out. And I'm not sure the men haven't played a similar schedule...they lost to Air Force and ORU and a couple of other undesirables.

The women did blow a 10 pt lead to San Fransciso at home...they went cold. BUT, this team plays hard til the end, they play focused, and they play with a sense of urgency the men don't seem to get until there are about 5 minutes left. The women's team does have some issues that will be hard to overcome in games against very good teams...I've already mentioned the overall lack of height. This is just the beginning for them...by year 3 for Nelp I wouldn't be surprised if they're in the running for an NCAA bid. That's how good she is and I believe she is going to convince some great players to come here.

Reactions: TU 1978 and Barlass
I don't blame Nelp one bit for this schedule. In major rebuilds like this, you have to build some confidence. TU is now winning games against teams and in places they would not have won last year. Hell, they destroyed ORU and that game has always been tight and usually goes ORU's way. Beating Memphis on the road is huge for this team. And then they're not only winning games against middling to low level teams, they're blowing those teams out. And I'm not sure the men haven't played a similar schedule...they lost to Air Force and ORU and a couple of other undesirables.

The women did blow a 10 pt lead to San Fransciso at home...they went cold. BUT, this team plays hard til the end, they play focused, and they play with a sense of urgency the men don't seem to get until there are about 5 minutes left. The women's team does have some issues that will be hard to overcome in games against very good teams...I've already mentioned the overall lack of height. This is just the beginning for them...by year 3 for Nelp I wouldn't be surprised if they're in the running for an NCAA bid. That's how good she is and I believe she is going to convince some great players to come here.

It was time for a coaching change, but the program was far from being wrecked. Taking both Mayberrys cost us in height. The injury to our only "true" big last year sealed the deal as far as how good that team could be.

Pointdexter has changed this team completely, not only is she a big, she is well on her way to be a dominant Julian type post. It helps that team is virtually the same as last year with a year of playing together, less covid stress. Nelp is an excellent coach and is doing a great job of giving the girls lots of opportunities to do what they are good at. She is definitely getting the most out of them, I expect as she learns them better and they get more comfortable in her systems they will play even better.

I have been buying individual tickets. Conference season tickets are on sale now $25. Basketball is my first love, I will be getting a few. I am going to find the name of the personal contact for my TU stuff and get in touch with him. I would hope others would do the same, I want to support a winner and a program that is doing things right to excell. You won't see me at Skelly, or a men's game, but I will pay for season tickets to our women's program showing it is serious.

Maybe the Athletic Administration will figure it out if there are more season ticket holders for women's basketball then the men or football teams.

Reactions: TU 1978
Just looking the the Net for women's basketball and the whole AAC minus Cincinnati is in the top 150. Most are in the top 100, and a couple in the top 50. Not a bad conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT