ADVERTISEMENT

G5 realignment, playoffs

chito_and_leon

I.T.S. Head Coach
Dec 5, 2003
I mean, has private equity ever done anything but improve things?

This idea sounds pretty interesting, I have to say. I get the "we don't want to label ourselves as second tier" but G5 conferences are second tier and will only become more so as money becomes even more unevenly distributed. I'm honestly not interested in watching teams with $5m NIL players, that's just pro ball. I'd like a real college football system again.

"The idea of G5 reorganization or the creation of a G5 football-only Super League consisting of the top handful of programs was informally discussed among some administrators when the current wave of conference realignment kicked off in 2021. Former Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany presented to leagues an idea of the three G5 leagues with southeastern footprints (AAC, CUSA, Sun Belt) reorganizing geographically. A few weeks later, the AAC added six schools from CUSA. The AAC earns millions more per school than other G5 leagues."

Instead of them forming their own league, let's form our own league. How is that any different. Yeah, we should do exactly what they've been wanting us to do, and never compete with any of them again. Become 2nd tier, which essentially makes us no better than 3rd tier. D2 and D3 are synonymous. This isn't improving things, it is giving in to what they have always wanted, us on the outside, and them eliminating us from sharing ANY of their money. It's going in this direction anyway, but we should never see it as a good solution to accept what is probably going to happen eventually. Just because we are trying to dress the wolf in sheeps clothing doesn't suddenly make it good.

Last edited:
Instead of them forming their own league, let's form our own league. How is that any different. Yeah, we should do exactly what they've been wanting us to do, and never compete with any of them again. Become 2nd tier, which essentially makes us no better than 3rd tier. D2 and D3 are synonymous. This isn't improving things, it is giving in to what they have always wanted, us on the outside, and them eliminating us from sharing ANY of their money. It's going in this direction anyway, but we should never see it as a good solution to accept what is probably going to happen eventually. Just because we are trying to dress the wolf in sheeps clothing doesn't suddenly make it good.
It's not what anyone would want but sometimes you have to live in the world you have, not the world you dream of having. If they wanted us on the outside, they'd just do it. They want to be able to play G5 teams to fill out their schedules, pad their records, have cheap games, etc. It's the same reason the NFL keeps the Jets and Commanders :)

The system the P2/3/4 prefers is the one they're building, with them "financing" with tiny rev shares a set of lower league teams (the G5) to do player development and offer scheduling benefits. That's what the people in the article are reacting to, do you want to be what the P2/3/4 wants, constantly saying "thank you sir, may I have another" for any scraps they throw, or do you want to have control over your destiny to the extent possible? I don't know the answer but I think it's fanciful to think we'll have a world where the G5 teams are in any meaningful way able to compete with the P2/3/4.

don-quixote-charging-windmills-2-1080x665.png

Like them forming their own league would stop them from playing us, with the money they offer. That wouldn't change because they formed their own league. The only way they don't play us is if we refuse the money offered. It has to do with playoff access(money) and regular season money. That is not stopping them from forming their own league.

There was talk of an alternative league with late nights on Fox and ESPN being the main draw. The idea being edgy branding and innovative rules to draw in gamblers and viewers. The Borg absorbed the West and that was the end of that. Assuming we got the invite, and we likely would have, the number being thrown around was a modest increase in our current revenue guaranteed for five years. Maybe as much as $2.5 million.

You can assume they’ve run the numbers on a stand alone G5 league and they realize it’s viable but not advantageous. Now.

There was talk of an alternative league with late nights on Fox and ESPN being the main draw. The idea being edgy branding and innovative rules to draw in gamblers and viewers. The Borg absorbed the West and that was the end of that. Assuming we got the invite, and we likely would have, the number being thrown around was a modest increase in our current revenue guaranteed for five years. Maybe as much as $2.5 million.

You can assume they’ve run the numbers on a stand alone G5 league and they realize it’s viable but not advantageous. Now.
Yep, and that is still scraps. A little bit more scraps, but only a little.

If they formed their own league, we would then form our own league by default. I think it is almost a matter of semantics whether we form our own leagues. It changes the playoffs and whether we are allowed in their playoffs in some menial way. It affects how the money is allocated for the playoffs, but only in a menial way. Doesn't really change much.

If they formed their own league, we would then form our own league by default. I think it is almost a matter of semantics whether we form our own leagues. It changes the playoffs and whether we are allowed in their playoffs in some menial way. It affects how the money is allocated for the playoffs, but only in a menial way. Doesn't really change much.
Yes. In the end, that was the rub I imagine. The dozen or so teams worth starting an alternative league would rather take a lower payment in a lower league for a shot at the playoff payout than take a sustained amount of money in their own sandbox.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Yes. In the end, that was the rub I imagine. The dozen or so teams worth starting an alternative league would rather take a lower payment in a lower league for a shot at the playoff payout than take a sustained amount of money in their own sandbox.
I’m to the point now that I’m just going to watch and cheer for TU no matter what league they are in , piss on everyone else , especially the greedy power conferences or whatever they are called now

Reactions: HuffyCane
I have always been a go big or go home guy.

But this is such a weird time. Not sure how I will feel about things when it sorts out.

If we get relegated to where we don’t have the option to play at the highest level, it’ll be the beginning of the end. In fact, it might as well just be the end of it for us.

If 32 B1G/SEC teams wanna do their own the thing, fine - but if it’s a 60-70 team breakaway, we’re screwed. Whatever bs they push about how it’s “better” for the g5 is just that… bs. It will be no better than FCS… which no one outside Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota give a flying eff about.

I’m hopeful that somehow, some way, we’re able to get a seat at the table.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
We have a short term lifeline
A home and home with OSU
Ark here in 2026 (?)
Those games help keep TU relevant
Outside of last years disaster here vs OU
TU has been very competitive with the top leagues
OSU Washington Ole Miss Texas

We have a short term lifeline
A home and home with OSU
Ark here in 2026 (?)
Those games help keep TU relevant
Outside of last years disaster here vs OU
TU has been very competitive with the top leagues
OSU Washington Ole Miss Texas
But no wins in a decade. Need to find one.

Reactions: TULSARISING
If we get relegated to where we don’t have the option to play at the highest level, it’ll be the beginning of the end. In fact, it might as well just be the end of it for us.

If 32 B1G/SEC teams wanna do their own the thing, fine - but if it’s a 60-70 team breakaway, we’re screwed. Whatever bs they push about how it’s “better” for the g5 is just that… bs. It will be no better than FCS… which no one outside Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota give a flying eff about.

I’m hopeful that somehow, some way, we’re able to get a seat at the table.
We lose all those fans that never went to college. That's a lot of fans. Our fan base for the league suddenly becomes G5 alumni at best. A lot of the G5 alumni will abandon ship for the power conferences if it splits like that though. That shrinks the eyes on the sport immensely. Vindictively, I hope they lose a lot of $ from those alumni that don't watch football any longer, if they force a split.

No matter how it sorts out, I just hope it sorts itself out enough to give TU the same visibility to prospective students as they have now. Even if I don't follow TU sports anymore. But if me, myself, and I translates to the royal I, then the golden goose just got made into crappy pate.

If the “big 2” conferences try this you can expect that lawmakers will get involved and it will get ugly.

Private equity would be a disaster. The dudes would load up the leagues with debt and contracts that would give little flexibility. I hope they don't go that route.

But no wins in a decade. Need to find one.
I have told everyone of my OSU brethren that OSU better take the Tulsa game seriously this year or we will be sent home with our tail between our legs........I think Tulsa will make huge improvements this year.....Wilson is an awesome coach and the biggest improvements are usually made between the first and second years

I have told everyone of my OSU brethren that OSU better take the Tulsa game seriously this year or we will be sent home with our tail between our legs........I think Tulsa will make huge improvements this year.....Wilson is an awesome coach and the biggest improvements are usually made between the first and second years
We've got some problems right now though. We need to pick up 2 or 3 OL and 1 or 2 DT minimum, this offseason. If we can make some decent pick ups there we will probably be much improved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT