ADVERTISEMENT

TU Schedule Additions:

astonmartin708

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Apr 17, 2012
According to this site: https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/...vents-mte-neutral-site-showcases-thanksgiving

The Vandy game will be part of their "Vanderbilt Invitational" which seems to involve a couple of low level campus games for us. Namely:

Sat., Nov. 16
Austin Peay Governors (OVC) at Tulsa Golden Hurricane (American)

Tue., Nov. 19
Southeastern Louisiana Lions (Southland) at Tulsa

Wed., Nov. 27
South Carolina State Bulldogs (MEAC) at Tulsa

Sat., Nov. 30
Tulsa at Vanderbilt Commodores (SEC)

We also play at home against ORU Nov. 12 according to their website. (Seems like this might be our opener)

If we play Peay, SELA, and SCSU there better be some Alabama, Iowa State, and USC games mixed in as well.

Schedule so far looks like this:

Nov 12 vs. ORU
Nov 16 vs. Austin Peay
Nov 19 vs. SE Lousiana

Nov 27 vs. SC State
Nov 30 @ Vandy

Dec 21 vs. CSU (BOK Center)
Dec 29 @ K State

Last Year we played 14 non-conference games.... I expect 7 to 8 more to be announced. Maybe one or two prior to ORU and a couple in early December.

Last edited:
That’s a pretty boo boo slate. Hopefully there will be some better opponents announced soon.

I want early games we have a good chance to win. It will give this new bunch time to gel.
So far, the only real contests I see are CSU (maybe?) and @KState. If we were playing KState at home, I would peg it for a victory too.

I hate playing ORU in the opener here or there. Hopefully, there is at least one game - perhaps the kiddo game.

At first glance, there's only one team on that schedule which finished with an RPI above 200.

I hate playing ORU in the opener here or there. Hopefully, there is at least one game - perhaps the kiddo game.
After looking at last years schedule, there were 3 games before Nov. 12. (I'm guessing maybe 2 prior to that this year)

I'm not sure those Vanderbilt associated games with Austin Peay et al are considered a tournement or not. The rules on early season tournaments changed this year and it made certain scheduling things harder for some schools. But you wouldn't think 3 home games and an away game would count lol. Maybe we'll still see another multi school event lined up in early December.

I want early games we have a good chance to win. It will give this new bunch time to gel.

The team can't afford to take anyone for granted lest they get "Lamar'd." Almost lost to Cal-Bap last year. We seem to struggle in front of the Rugrats.

My sources tell me we are at Arkansas this season and hosting them the next, as well as trying to get more games done with them.

Reactions: drboobay
My sources tell me we are at Arkansas this season and hosting them the next, as well as trying to get more games done with them.

Nolan played us but I'm not sure Mike Anderson ever played us.

Did we still owe WoDick money and he's building this years schedule?

Projected Ranks
42. KState
122. Vanderbilt
180. Oral Roberts
221. Colorado State
244. SE Louisiana
285. SC State
298. Austin Peay

Projected Ranks
42. KState
122. Vanderbilt
180. Oral Roberts
221. Colorado State
244. SE Louisiana
285. SC State
298. Austin Peay

Hmm...180 for ORU seems optimistic; 250 or worse perhaps more likely.

Your source for these projections?

Projected Ranks
42. KState
122. Vanderbilt
180. Oral Roberts
221. Colorado State
244. SE Louisiana
285. SC State
298. Austin Peay
CTT, I hope you do your player previews and projections again this year as I really enjoy that. I’m dying to see how your projections for Horne matched reality. I found him a fascinating player last year because he was kind of a silent killer in my mind. I would be watching the game and following the game thread on the board at the same time. Horne would come in and people would say he’s not doing much and I would kind of feel the same way then I would look at his stat line and it would be something like 15 pts, 8 boards, 3 assists, and 2 steals.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
CTT, I hope you do your player previews and projections again this year as I really enjoy that. I’m dying to see how your projections for Horne matched reality. I found him a fascinating player last year because he was kind of a silent killer in my mind. I would be watching the game and following the game thread on the board at the same time. Horne would come in and people would say he’s not doing much and I would kind of feel the same way then I would look at his stat line and it would be something like 15 pts, 8 boards, 3 assists, and 2 steals.

He turned out to be a better shooter than I projected, which you correctly questioned at the time.
Proj.: 26.0mpg, 11.5ppg, 5.4rpg, 1.2apg, 0.4spg, 1.0bpg, 1.3topg, 51.6% 2PT, 29.5% 3PT, 68.5% FT
Act.: 22.1 mpg, 10.1ppg, 4.9rpg, 1.0apg, 0.7spg, 0.5bpg, 1.3topg, 50.4% 2PT, 37.4% 3PT, 81.8% FT

Stat sites absolutely love the Nzekwesi/Obanor combination. He's got you guys projected for a top 100 offense. But you'd know better than I would.

http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Oral+Roberts&year=2020

The offensive projections may all be true, but until ORU can improve its ranking as one of the worst perimeter-defense teams in the country the past two years running, it still spells a lot of 88-78 losses.

Thanks for the link!

I would love to have Nzekwesi on our team he always seems to shoot like Stef Curry against us.

The offensive projections may all be true, but until ORU can improve its ranking as one of the worst perimeter-defense teams in the country the past two years running, it still spells a lot of 88-78 losses.

Thanks for the link!

This is the inverse of such threads from 13 years ago. Good to hear from you.

This is the inverse of such threads from 13 years ago. Good to hear from you.

Thirteen years ago, ORU basketball (like it or not) was arguably relevant.

Now, not so much.

Hard to stay snarky following three straight 20-loss seasons and attendance figures worse than the NAIA days.

But, I like to think I could still muster up some smack should conditions ever warrant it...time will tell!

We need to figure out a way for you guys to beat UCONN. There’s special joy in watching them get angry and find new things to blame. And it’s not that hard to beat them.

We need to figure out a way for you guys to beat UCONN. There’s special joy in watching them get angry and find new things to blame. And it’s not that hard to beat them.

I can see it now an article “UCONN can’t win or recruit with ORU on their schedule, that’s the only reason they lost. It’s not fair we had to play a team with far less resources, if they had as much money as us we’d win. We are the best!!!!!1111”

Gawd I hate UCONN fan.

I can see it now an article “UCONN can’t win or recruit with ORU on their schedule, that’s the only reason they lost. It’s not fair we had to play a team with far less resources, if they had as much money as us we’d win. We are the best!!!!!1111”

Gawd I hate UCONN fan.

They are the worst on twitter

Full non-con slate:

2019-20 Tulsa Men's Basketball Non-Conference Schedule

Nov. 5 Houston Baptist
Nov. 9 at UT Arlington
Nov. 12 Oral Roberts%
Nov. 16 Austin Peay^
Nov. 19 Southeastern La.^
Nov. 27 South Carolina State^
Nov. 30 at Vanderbilt^
Dec. 4 Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Dec. 7 Arkansas State
Dec. 10 Boise State
Dec. 14 at Arkansas
Dec. 21 vs. Colorado State#
Dec. 29 at Kansas State

Reactions: TUcandoit
Really weak home slate. One game against Boise at the Don Rey and another against CSU at the BOK and that's it. No neutral site tournament either. No real RPI (NET) boosters among those either. A lot will depend on Arkansas and Vandy improving under new coaching.

Full non-con slate:

2019-20 Tulsa Men's Basketball Non-Conference Schedule
Nov. 5 Houston Baptist

Nov. 9 at UT Arlington
Nov. 12 Oral Roberts%
Nov. 16 Austin Peay^
Nov. 19 Southeastern La.^
Nov. 27 South Carolina State^

Nov. 30 at Vanderbilt^
Dec. 4 Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Dec. 7 Arkansas State
Dec. 10 Boise State

Dec. 14 at Arkansas
Dec. 21 vs. Colorado State#
Dec. 29 at Kansas State
Could be better, could be worse. Nice to see BSU, CSU, Arkansas, and K-State in December. We should be 9-0 or at worst 8-1 going into those games. That gives us time to gel as a team and have a solid shot at being 13-0 heading into conference play. Worst case scenario should be 10-3, same as last year. K-State should be the toughest as they should be pissed after losing to us two years in a row. Arkansas should be next but they have a new coach. I think I would put BSU and CSU above Vandy. The rest shouldn’t be close.

Really weak home slate. One game against Boise at the Don Rey and another against CSU at the BOK and that's it. No neutral site tournament either. No real RPI (NET) boosters among those either. A lot will depend on Arkansas and Vandy improving under new coaching.
That’s the interesting thing about the NET. Winning and how you win are much more important than who you play which is kind of the opposite of the RPI. If you blow out bad teams and look good in certain stats (turnovers, rebounds, etc.) you can have a great NET rating without playing a highly rated team. That’s what USF did last year to get their top 100 rating. With RPI you could blow out a bad team and drop 20 spots, not so with the NET. We just have to win these games while valuing the ball and rebounding well. I know, that’s a tall order considering past seasons but I think we have the players to do it.

Think the fact we have a transfer from one of our opponents will affect the eligibility ruling ?

That’s the interesting thing about the NET. Winning and how you win are much more important than who you play which is kind of the opposite of the RPI. If you blow out bad teams and look good in certain stats (turnovers, rebounds, etc.) you can have a great NET rating without playing a highly rated team. That’s what USF did last year to get their top 100 rating. With RPI you could blow out a bad team and drop 20 spots, not so with the NET. We just have to win these games while valuing the ball and rebounding well. I know, that’s a tall order considering past seasons but I think we have the players to do it.
Q1 and Q2 wins are still big deals come March though. You can't get a Q1 win against a bad team no matter how bad you beat them into the ground.

Think the fact we have a transfer from one of our opponents will affect the eligibility ruling ?

I doubt any effect. If we are starting a series with them he would have to play against them next year. We can't hold him out until Arkansas is off the schedule. I wonder if the Arkansas game will be in Little Rock. Some of the December games have been in the past.

I doubt any effect. If we are starting a series with them he would have to play against them next year. We can't hold him out until Arkansas is off the schedule. I wonder if the Arkansas game will be in Little Rock. Some of the December games have been in the past.
Seriously doubt the game will be in Little Rock unless it's some type of college showcase at AllTel (or whatever the name is now). That'd be a missed opportunity ofr UA as well. Saturday night game, it's a good opportunity for UA to get some TU fans at the game to fill out the arena when students might not be around.

Seriously doubt the game will be in Little Rock unless it's some type of college showcase at AllTel (or whatever the name is now). That'd be a missed opportunity ofr UA as well. Saturday night game, it's a good opportunity for UA to get some TU fans at the game to fill out the arena when students might not be around.[/QUOTE

The reason I thought it might be a possibility BLA is that the last three or four years, that game has been in NLR.
Sat Dec 15- UTSA
Sat Dec 16- Troy
Sat Dec 19- Mercer

Nearly every season that game is in NLR. for the Central Arkansas fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT