ADVERTISEMENT

TU Bowl Possibilities

It is based on APR. Academic progress or graduation rates.

If they go to 5 win teams ECU should get an invite. They beat TU and VA Tech (bowl teams) and lost to bowl teams (Navy, Temple, USF, UConn, CIncy, BYU and Fla). All seven losses to bowl teams and two wins against bowl teams.

It doesn't work that way.

I'm more excited that we GET to play another game this season than who our potential opponent might be. After watching Key that last game, I need one more fix of his Dez Bryant-esque catches in order to enjoy Christmas.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
Just saw a projection for Tulsa in the the Heart of Texas Bowl vs Rice

Love to get that bowl but would rather another team than Rice.

GO TU!!!!!

Mizzou declined to play in a bowl and I thought one other ELIGIBLE 5-7 school also opted out. ECU opted out but they are not in the top 5 APR schools, YET, but if more continue to decline that may push ECU up. Let's pre-emptively decline a bowl...which makes no sense. Understand Mizzou's situation where you have a coach who is leaving, but anyone else in that situation should want to play and their conferences should push them to do so. As we are all excited for 15 extra practices and being able to say we went to the bowl, each game is additional $$$ for the conference to divide up...so I was a bit hasty in rooting against ECU last week realizing that all the 6-6 teams were going to get a bowl game and that TU couldn't be passed over for 5-7 Nebraska

Just saw a projection for Tulsa in the the Heart of Texas Bowl vs Rice

Love to get that bowl but would rather another team than Rice.

GO TU!!!!!
Rice is always a tough game for us. I would hate to play the but it would be an easy game to go to. I am still holding out hopes for the Independence Bowl.

It should also be mentioned that it is the Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl not the Heart of Texas Bowl. The Heart of Texas Bowl is actually two games, one for JuCo teams and one of D-II teams played in Copperas Cove, TX and the Heart of Dallas Bowl is played at the Cotton Bowl.

I've always wondered.....after team expenses, does the conference actually make money from these lower paying bowl games? I've heard no but have never seen anything official and have always viewed these games as a positive for the programs in terms of practices and exposure rather than revenue.

Latest yahoo news report has us in the Dallas bowl on the 26th vs rice. 4 1/2 hrs drive for both teams. Hopefully we can have more fans attend.

OU may be playing at jerry world on the 31st in the "playoff"

Double header

awww man... Rice??
I guess we're not the belle of the ball either when it comes to bowl game opponents...
But Rice!?!?!

I doubt that yahoo sports has more insight than other outlets. They are all reading tea leaves at this point.

Reactions: TUMe and Gmoney4WW
BYU to Las Vegas. So if we go to Hawaii it should be an MWC opponent.

great news that TU will not play BYU. Hawaii vs. USU or CSU is great. Rice in Dallas is even better. Let's just finish 7-6 and let Monty recruit with a winning record and a bowl win.
And, for the league, our NY Day Bowl team (hopefully Temple) needs to win.
Things are looking up here in Dulac (the American).

When will we find out, and when will TU announce travel arrangements / availability?

I'm sure we'll know before the end of the weekend. Once the conference championship games are completed everything will unfold really quickly.

Lower level bowls don't really make money for the conference. The team blows it all going early, staying late, attending dinners, parades, etc., and bringing everyone they can think of. Not there is really much to blow anyway.

But 15 practices, another day of game experience, and me watching more TU football = WIN!

Latest from Hines is TU probably going to either the Cure Bowl in Orlando or Independence Bowl in Shreveport

mwtulsa10_3580551_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Still chuckle at this one...

Latest from Hines is TU probably going to either the Cure Bowl in Orlando or Independence Bowl in Shreveport

It's still not clear how the conference can place a team in the Indy bowl when they don't have an extra team. They would have to leave one of the contracts unfilled which is usually not a preferred option.

An East Carolina win last Saturday sure would have made this easier. We're due for an Indy bowl win. Still can't believe that we lost that first one to McNeese then the refs robbed us in the 2nd one.

Must be some horse trading going on for a contracted bowl to get a different squad they prefer.

BYU accepted Las Vegas so we know TU is not playing them (thankfully).

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Looks like Cinci to Hawaii per ESPN blog. So Hines may be on target.

Georgia State wins their 6th today. Illinois & Rice are eliminated from bowl consideration.

Is that confirmed?

A game in a distant city against a mediocre Sunbelt team is about the only thing that feels like a downer. But maybe it is the basketball me talking. Feeling discouraged this evening.

Reactions: Tulsa76
I'm fine with it, cept not being close to home. We need to win the bowl game to look good to recruits at a crucial time for rebuilding, and that would not happen against somebody like BYU. Worry about a nice bowl location, and a respectable opponent next year. This year, a beatable opponent in a nice location for the players, and Houston winning, in order to guarantee a New Years Day bowl bid, are the best things for TU.

Reactions: TUMe
I will have no complaints, happy to be in the postseason.

A nice trip for these seniors would be good. That and a winnable game are my top wishes this year.

K State wins #6 tonight to secure bowl eligibility. South Alabama is the final team playing for a bowl slot tonight.

As it stands now, three 5-7 teams will go to a bowl game: Nebraska, Minnesota & San Jose St.

How does the bowl even get approved and funded without a tv contract?

CBS Sports network. The one that picks up the AAC leftovers.

I think the Camelia Bowl was in a much worse situation with a new sports network.

In the end though it is probably fair for us to get the bottom of the pecking order for the American bowl games. I am proud of our team but there will be no easy opponent for us in a bowl, not even Georgia State. Just was hoping for a more attractive situation for a fan in location and opponent.

I have not yet seen an official announcement btw.

Georgia State is a big yawn, and our unwhelming basketball team plays at Oregon State the night of that bowl game. I'm not planning to attend either.

Last projection I saw shows us in Boca Raton on the 22nd vs N Illinois!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT