ADVERTISEMENT

TU basketball

Oh a little birdy flew by my office and told me. Actually from a very reliable source that is all I will say.
I am sure that birdie has flown away, but I would have loved to have game statistics. I'm very curious how Reed, Archie, and our freshman played.

Reactions: TULSARISING
You'll have a hard time finding out any statistics from the scrimmage. Usually the winner leaks out and by how much or approximately how much. Not much else leaks out if it is not a charity event. Is against the rules to leak anything, but they usually ignore leaks of the winner & the score.

Do you guys realize that Archie had a better PER than Clarkson, Harrison, or Woodard when they were Freshman?

He didn’t play the minutes that those guys did, but he quietly had one of the most efficient and productive freshman seasons in needlessly limited minutes in TU history.

Do you guys realize that Archie had a better PER than Clarkson, Harrison, or Woodard when they were Freshman?

He didn’t play the minutes that those guys did, but he quietly had one of the most efficient and productive freshman seasons in needlessly limited minutes in TU history.
I honestly thought Archie was one of our best players last year

Reactions: TU_BLA and TU 1978
Anyone heading to the open practice?
I plan to. I'm going to pick up my season tickets at the same time. And yes, I am an old fogie who still likes his tickets printed. Eager to see what we have. I hope we have enough balanced scoring to make up for the loss of Polly Jean.

Does anyone know if the game vs Missouri Rolla (Missouri S&T) be broadcasted on ESPN+ or on the radio?

Anyone go to the scrimmage?
I stayed for about an hour. It was in the practice gym as the main floor is set up for tonight's volleyball match. It was a normal practice with lots of drills and running. I'm not much of a scout but the team does look a bit more athletic this year. I didn't see Justin Amadi in the practice and Jared Garcia didn't participate in all of the drills.

Tyshawn Archie looks as smooth as ever. He nailed a rainbow three that got my attention. Jaye Nash and Dwon Odom both look like very physical players. Ian Smikle is big and athletic with long arms. I bet he plays quite a bit. Matt Reed actually looked too skinny to me, but the baby fat is gone. Braeden Carrington is a little taller than I thought. I think that Jesiah McWright can be the Darien Jackson of this team. Isiah Barnes is still pretty slim but he's more of a slasher than interior player.

After this dismal football season, I'm really looking forward to hoops.

There used to be two exhibitions and the first was not on radio but I expect this one will be.

There used to be two exhibitions and the first was not on radio but I expect this one will be.
Hard to say since the TU website doesn’t even have times for half the schedule listed, let alone and media or radio broadcast info. The tip times and tv designations for conferences games has been out for over a week and the TU website still isn’t updated.

Hard to say since the TU website doesn’t even have times for half the schedule listed, let alone and media or radio broadcast info. The tip times and tv designations for conferences games has been out for over a week and the TU website still isn’t updated.
New media relations leadership this year since DT is gone. We also had some longtime SID’s leave in the past few years. No idea who is doing it now, but that was their old job. Seems like they need to get it together.

Arkansas just destroys number one Kansas 85-69 with their new 5 million dollar coach and 5 million NIL bucket of cash.

Arkansas just destroys number one Kansas 85-69 with their new 5 million dollar coach and 5 million NIL bucket of cash.
Yes, but most of KU real starters were being rested on the bench. Some of players that started vs Arkansas will barely play this year. Kansas has the luxury of being able to not only pay their starters, but also pay there bench players well. Bill Self can then red shirt guys, but also really develop players without having to worry much about them hitting the transfer portal.

Reactions: I.I. and TU 1978
I stayed for about an hour. It was in the practice gym as the main floor is set up for tonight's volleyball match. It was a normal practice with lots of drills and running. I'm not much of a scout but the team does look a bit more athletic this year. I didn't see Justin Amadi in the practice and Jared Garcia didn't participate in all of the drills.

Tyshawn Archie looks as smooth as ever. He nailed a rainbow three that got my attention. Jaye Nash and Dwon Odom both look like very physical players. Ian Smikle is big and athletic with long arms. I bet he plays quite a bit. Matt Reed actually looked too skinny to me, but the baby fat is gone. Braeden Carrington is a little taller than I thought. I think that Jesiah McWright can be the Darien Jackson of this team. Isiah Barnes is still pretty slim but he's more of a slasher than interior player.

After this dismal football season, I'm really looking forward to hoops.
The Jesiah McWright comment is the only one I really have trouble with. Him necessitating playtime because other guys were underperforming really hurt us for the past two seasons. He's someone I would have asked to transfer because many players (even some high schoolers) would probably have been an upgrade.

Jackson barely played his Freshman season, but in his sophomore season when he was pretty bad offensively, his PER was still 13.8 because he had decent shooting splits outside of his 3 point shots and he had a sky high defensive plus minus because of his ability to steal the ball.

McWright at the same time is worse or much worse in every statistical category on defense (He rebounds worse even though he's 2 inches taller than Jackson was and he's much worse at steals) and offensively he is an efficiency black hole at 5.2 PER. If this team is going to win, he either shouldn't play or he HAS to make more of the baskets he takes, get his teammates better looks and up his defensive game substantially (basically learn to play basketball).

Good news, there are a couple of players who were around that bad early on and managed to be decent by their Junior / Senior seasons. Korita & Joiner were both statistically terrible early, but ended up being okay.

Last edited:
Yes, but most of KU real starters were being rested on the bench. Some of players that started vs Arkansas will barely play this year. Kansas has the luxury of being able to not only pay their starters, but also pay there bench players well. Bill Self can then red shirt guys, but also really develop players without having to worry much about them hitting the transfer portal.
Well as much as I hate it, my eldest son is a UofA grad and seems to always be well informed about the goings on of the athletic department. The way he tells it is that Cal is just getting started and that he has a pretty much a blank check.

One less transfer from here In April. One less plane ticket and a spot on the bench for our 9 th manager. 😊The 13th scholarship player would rarely see the court. Other schools are beginning to do the same. I would have rather seen the NIL budget of each of the AAC teams and compare that with the finish in March.

One less transfer from here In April. One less plane ticket and a spot on the bench for our 9 th manager. 😊The 13th scholarship player would rarely see the court. Other schools are beginning to do the same. I would have rather seen the NIL budget of each of the AAC teams and compare that with the finish in March.
According to the above graph, no one in our conference is following that strategy. Plus it just robs one kid of a potential opportunity. Not every player merits a large NIL immediately btw. Also, I disagree that they would rarely see the court. I bet we would be happy to have some extra experienced / big bodies in practice these days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT