ADVERTISEMENT

TU acquires Hardesty Arts Center

Exciting! Yet I hope they looked at the financial impact very closely before doing this.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Exciting! Yet I hope they looked at the financial impact very closely before doing this.
I have a feeling that Mayfest is at least break even, and probably makes money.

The image and prestige in the city will be worth something, in the purchasing of Hardesty. I have a feeling the Museum Curation dept is going to become important, by adding Hardesty to the holdings of Gilcrease management. I guess maybe the Alexander Hogue Gallery might be part time or full time supplanted by Hardesty?

Reactions: drboobay
Wowzers.....this administration is seriously changing things for the better.

I have a feeling that Mayfest is at least break even, and probably makes money.

The image and prestige in the city will be worth something, in the purchasing of Hardesty. I have a feeling the Museum Curation dept is going to become important, by adding Hardesty to the holdings of Gilcrease management. I guess maybe the Alexander Hogue Gallery might be part time or full time supplanted by Hardesty?
We have heard that managing Gilcrease is profitable for TU. So I am pretty confident they thought this through and feel won't be a drain.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
I’m glad TU is changing things up and making good decisions. The arts are important in Tulsa and it’s nice to see us (TU community) embrace that.

We have a perception issue (broke) that still gets spewed by brainless dips!ts in the comment sections under articles about this on Facebook. I’ll never understand why people love to rip on TU so much.

Great opportunity to prominently display the TU brand to many thousands annually at a premier city event.

Wonder if they plan to carry on with Mayfest like it always was, or if they plan to brainstorm some new ideas to introduce?

Wonder if they plan to carry on with Mayfest like it always was, or if they plan to brainstorm some new ideas to introduce?
I bet they keep it pretty traditional in 2023 due to the lack of planning time.

Maybe they will put out donation buckets for a Indoor Practice Facility at Mayfest, lol.
My priorities are different, but I understand it's for the betterment of Tulsa community.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
I bet they keep it pretty traditional in 2023 due to the lack of planning time.
Oh yeah, it's just three months away. They don't really have time to do anything new this year. I was thinking of next year.

I’m glad TU is changing things up and making good decisions. The arts are important in Tulsa and it’s nice to see us (TU community) embrace that.

We have a perception issue (broke) that still gets spewed by brainless dips!ts in the comment sections under articles about this on Facebook. I’ll never understand why people love to rip on TU so much.
They hate us cause they ain't us

It's already changed some. It's no longer on Main St. in the main part of downtown and moved north to Archer along the Brady Arts district. We went last year and they planned it to have it coincide with an FC Tulsa game. It actually was a great time and well laid out, a little more room than in past years. I can see it working well in conjunction with a Drillers home weekend as well.

It's already changed some. It's no longer on Main St. in the main part of downtown and moved north to Archer along the Brady Arts district. We went last year and they planned it to have it coincide with an FC Tulsa game. It actually was a great time and well laid out, a little more room than in past years. I can see it working well in conjunction with a Drillers home weekend as well.
I'm not talking about changes already made to Mayfest under Ahha. I'm talking about changes made to Mayfest after it is under TU's domain.

What would you suggest?
I don't have any suggestions. I just wondered if TU was going to carry on without any drastic changes, or if they were going to brainstorm big changes. Bringing in bigger acts for the music might be nice.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I don't have any suggestions. I just wondered if TU was going to carry on without any drastic changes, or if they were going to brainstorm big changes. Bringing in bigger acts for the music might be nice.
Must promote TU all over the place.

I hate to be negative, but I don’t understand how we can afford this or really what good it does for students. If we want to turn the art program into something akin to Savannah College of Art and Design, that would be interesting. But I just don’t get this. AHHA had management issues, but why take on another failing/ money losing institution? If we get the POP museum, I quit.

I hate to be negative, but I don’t understand how we can afford this or really what good it does for students. If we want to turn the art program into something akin to Savannah College of Art and Design, that would be interesting. But I just don’t get this. AHHA had management issues, but why take on another failing/ money losing institution? If we get the POP museum, I quit.
Just think of it as an endowment investment. Another entity and property TU owns to add to the value of the endowment.

Reactions: TU 1978
That’s not how that works.
On the face of it seems like a great move to enhance our image in the community and have a larger presence where prospective students socialize.

I presume they looked at financial impact.

Did they? Because this feels like the sort of thing that got us in trouble before.

Who is paying for us to have fancy fan experiences at basketball without fielding a D1 basketball team? That’s what I really want to know.

Did they? Because this feels like the sort of thing that got us in trouble before.

Who is paying for us to have fancy fan experiences at basketball without fielding a D1 basketball team? That’s what I really want to know.
ESPN?

I can see it now. TU acquires POP Culture Museum. Can I get an "Umm-Bop."

That’s not how that works.
It is sort of how it works.

I don’t disagree with some of your concerns.

I will say that a properly diversified endowment portfolio includes off campus real estate holdings which show a potential for growth. Especially during a period where the commercial real estate market continues to out gain inflation and other potential investments are volatile. I’m told the amount paid for the building was very favorable to the University and will anchor TU to downtown for decades. The building is already fit to provide industry standard space for the radio station and media labs, which need a new home and will free up space to be used more effectively on campus.

What TU is doing isn’t unusual. And the humanities programming planned for the space will have substantial ties to the educational mission of both the undergraduate students as well as the community. Many of our peers hold real estate which has little educational mission. For instance, Tulane owns and operates a hotel in the French Quarter.

I hope this helps explain the reasoning, as it has been relayed to me. Reasonable minds can certainly differ.

I’m not nearly as bullish on commercial real estate. In fact, it’s an area I would avoid. Hardesty is obviously different than your standard commercial property so I have no idea how rising vacancy rates would affect valuation.

I’m not nearly as bullish on commercial real estate. In fact, it’s an area I would avoid. Hardesty is obviously different than your standard commercial property so I have no idea how rising vacancy rates would affect valuation.
I know that my company has drastically cut back our office footprint worldwide since covid.

I would think the building location substantially mitigates concerns about comm real estate futures.

It isn’t a $100 million currently vacant office tower off 169 or a strip spur of nail salons and Chinese restaurants over by the old Eastland Mall.

I would think the building location substantially mitigates concerns about comm real estate futures.

It isn’t a $100 million currently vacant office tower off 169 or a strip spur of nail salons and Chinese restaurants over by the old Eastland Mall.
I think Liberty's endowment has gone from something like $200m to $2b in the last 15 years, primarily because of investment and development of ... strip malls...

I think Liberty's endowment has gone from something like $200m to $2b in the last 15 years, primarily because of investment and development of ... strip malls...
Liberty has a different business model than most universities. And it's not unlike the business model of the University of Phoenix in terms of product delivery. The major difference between the two is one is for profit (University of Phoenix) vs non-profit (Liberty). But their access points, target audience ,how they deliver their product, etc. are not very different.

Liberty has a different business model than most universities. And it's not unlike the business model of the University of Phoenix in terms of product delivery. The major difference between the two is one is for profit (University of Phoenix) vs non-profit (Liberty). But their access points, target audience ,how they deliver their product, etc. are not very different.
Yea, Liberty has like 100,000 online students. I think there are a lot of ethical boundaries that TU would not be comfortable crossing that Liberty has had no problem with.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I can just see March Madness some years from now. Liberty vs. Grand Canyon for the National Championship.:puke:

• Angry
Reactions: cmullinsTU
I can just see March Madness some years from now. Liberty vs. Grand Canyon for the National Championship.:puke:
Grand Canyon is weird as I believe it has an affiliation with a Christian denomination (or just AG, evangelical) as well as being for profit. Its founding was a but more traditional and not dissimilar to TU's just way more recent as it was founded as a Christian school focused on religious training and moved from it's original small city location in Prescott to its present location in Phoenix. It is now sort of a hybrid between Liberty and UoPhoenix in its current state. I'm sure it and Liberty are fighting for the title of "World's Largest Christian University". GCU boasts 20k traditional students and 70k online students.

Grand Canyon is weird as I believe it has an affiliation with a Christian denomination (or just AG, evangelical) as well as being for profit. Its founding was a but more traditional and not dissimilar to TU's just way more recent as it was founded as a Christian school focused on religious training and moved from it's original small city location in Prescott to its present location in Phoenix. It is now sort of a hybrid between Liberty and UoPhoenix in its current state. I'm sure it and Liberty are fighting for the title of "World's Largest Christian University". GCU boasts 20k traditional students and 70k online students.
I have a friend who is currently with his daughter at Liberty on a soccer recruiting visit.

I have a friend who is currently with his daughter at Liberty on a soccer recruiting visit.
Liberty's brick and mortar campus is more the traditional college campus like ORU. But they figured out how to tap into the online Christian university market before most others...ORU was 10 years late on this and haven't figured out how to do it efficiently and cost effectively.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT