ADVERTISEMENT

To the "Dane Sucks" crowd ...

barrister1602

I.T.S. Head Coach
Jan 24, 2007
After Dane's strong performance yesterday, he has moved to No. 5 in the Country. Here are the numbers:

RK PLAYER TEAM COMP ATT PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RAT
1 Matt Johnson, QB BGSU 343 498 68.9 4465 9.0 94 41 6 33 168.9
2 Patrick Mahomes, QB TTU 336 517 65.0 4283 8.3 90 32 14 21 149.6
3 Luke Falk, QB WSU 418 591 70.7 4266 7.2 75 36 8 35 148.8
4 Brandon Doughty, QB WKU 322 444 72.5 4184 9.4 78 42 6 13 180.2
5 Dane Evans, QB TLSA 278 441 63.0 3958 9.0 80 22 8 35 151.3

I've said all along that Dane is no world beater, but he is an above-average passer. He has risen to No. 5 despite being sacked 35 times which is the 3rd most in the country!! In other words, Dane has managed to have a fantastic year despite having a VERY porous Oline protecting him. We have far bigger problems on defense and the Oline than we do at QB. The numbers prove that to be accurate. Me thinks the "Dane sucks" crowd has TulsaGrad06 as its only member.

Last edited:
You could really see the discrepancy between the two O-lines last night. Tulane's QB had at least 5 seconds on each snap to get the ball downfield and hit his targets. Dane didn't have time to scan the field and do check-downs, he had to get that ball out within 3 seconds or the pocket would collapse on him. He made some amazing passes last night. I think he's really developed dramatically this year over the last two, I hope he can keep it up next year and shock the world against Ohio State.

Our team doesn't seem to be centered around any particular player. each week it seems that a differnt group of players step up.

Reactions: XOut88
I'm very proud of how much Dane has developed over the past 3 years. He finally has the right coaching, has learned to play within the game plan for the most part and has enough talent around him to be a top 5 QB.

Dane, thank you for sticking around, blocking out the noise from the haters and working hard on improving your game. I can't wait to see what you'll do in the bowl game.

Go TU!

Last edited:
Go be a damned rice fan, I'm sure the other one would love your company for at least a minute.

Nearly all the TV color guys go on about Dane's arm strength and these are ex players, most Ex NFL guys. And he can make some very nice throws, tough ones. If he can continue improving on forcing it and not holding the ball too long he could have a shot in an NFL camp. Of course our oline has not given him much time this year.

His height is a bit of a detriment though.

Arm strength is meaningless unless you have the poise to go through the progressions and the vision to use it.

Reactions: TUGrad06
You need time to go through your progressions too. Hard to judge Dane this year with the poor protection he has gotten.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Even when he's had time, he's been locked in. It ain't all on the big guys.

Ferrotte absolutely SUCKED for most of his career at TU. He didn't necessarily have the best supporting cast, but it seems to me he through more interceptions than touchdowns at least one of those years.

Dane is way better than Ferrotte comparing their collegiate careers head-to-head.

15 years in the NFL tells me that Ferrotte was a pretty good QB. Yeah he did the stupid head butt thing which lead to him being a journeyman but I would take 15 years. Comparing Dane to is a compliment.

NM... ranking is based on total yards. Found it myself.

Ferrotte absolutely SUCKED for most of his career at TU. He didn't necessarily have the best supporting cast, but it seems to me he through more interceptions than touchdowns at least one of those years.

Dane is way better than Ferrotte comparing their collegiate careers head-to-head.
Gus was better prepared for the NFL because of the style of offense Rader ran here when Gus played QB. You all need to go look at Gus' record in the NFL. He was surprisingly efficient for a journeyman and the number of teams he helped make the playoffs was a lot comparatively. In '93 Gus had 21 TD passes, 15 INTs.

It is hard to compare Dane and Gus because the style of offenses are so different. In '93 Gus had 383 pass attempts in 11 games. By contrast Dane has thrown the ball 441 times in 12 games. Dane's completion % is much higher (63-56). He has thrown one more TD pass and 8 picks. Gus was 6'4", Dane is 6'1". Can Dane play in the NFL...sure but he's going to need to be able to show he can study film, break it down, and understand what he sees when he steps to the LOS. How many of the run and shoot style college QBs ever made a big impact in the NFL? We'll see what Mariota does but the run and shoot guys always seem to struggle in the NFL style of offense.

Cody was kind of a Chad President in the sense that he was a great athlete with good speed, but likely shouldn't have been throwing the football. Not to say he was AWFUL at it, just likely not his optimal position on the football field.

After Dane's strong performance yesterday, he has moved to No. 5 in the Country. Here are the numbers:

RK PLAYER TEAM COMP ATT PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RAT
1 Matt Johnson, QB BGSU 343 498 68.9 4465 9.0 94 41 6 33 168.9
2 Patrick Mahomes, QB TTU 336 517 65.0 4283 8.3 90 32 14 21 149.6
3 Luke Falk, QB WSU 418 591 70.7 4266 7.2 75 36 8 35 148.8
4 Brandon Doughty, QB WKU 322 444 72.5 4184 9.4 78 42 6 13 180.2
5 Dane Evans, QB TLSA 278 441 63.0 3958 9.0 80 22 8 35 151.3

I've said all along that Dane is no world beater, but he is an above-average passer. He has risen to No. 5 despite being sacked 35 times which is the 3rd most in the country!! In other words, Dane has managed to have a fantastic year despite having a VERY porous Oline protecting him. We have far bigger problems on defense and the Oline than we do at QB. The numbers prove that to be accurate. Me thinks the "Dane sucks" crowd has TulsaGrad06 as its only member.
Look, I like what Dane has done this year but lets not over exaggerate his accomplishments. Dane had two of the best WR in country hands down making him look way better than he actually is. My three yr old son could throw the ball up and those two WR's and they would find a way to come down with the ball. In today's game to be considered an elite QB, you need to be mobile, which is what I assume is the argument you are trying to make for Dane. Dane is not a mobile guy and when you look at the guys we have returning on the OL next year, Dane will struggle even more next year to avoid sacks. Im going to predict it now, without the duo of KG and KL, Dane will struggle and President will be our guy by the third game of the season next year.

Look, I like what Dane has done this year but lets not over exaggerate his accomplishments. Dane had two of the best WR in country hands down making him look way better than he actually is. My three yr old son could throw the ball up and those two WR's and they would find a way to come down with the ball. In today's game to be considered an elite QB, you need to be mobile, which is what I assume is the argument you are trying to make for Dane. Dane is not a mobile guy and when you look at the guys we have returning on the OL next year, Dane will struggle even more next year to avoid sacks. Im going to predict it now, without the duo of KG and KL, Dane will struggle and President will be our guy by the third game of the season next year.

Why would it be any different than this year. KL will be back, close to an even swap out for KG. Belcher will be back, close to an even swap out for Stafford. I'm not questioning your premise that Pres will be in, just that u seem to think it will be tougher to run the offense than this year. I'm not going into who will be added and/or subtracted at WR and OL other than the two in question.(But we will have to find a sure route runner to replace Floyd.) Just wanted to hear what makes u think it will be more difficult for whoever the QB is?

The way I see it, guessing skipper is discounting the strides all the other quarterbacks will make. Hefley and Pres will probably make leaps and bounds improvement. Not saying whether it will be enough to make either starters. But I am saying a guess for skipper is a pretty side blind guess, considering.

Dane has also made several perfect throws in stride this year, like one of the TD passes in the most recent game.

It would take a fantastic camp by one of the other QBs to displace him as starter next year. If that happens, the other player will have truly earned the job due to outstanding work.

The most mobile QB is Rubley and he isn't even in the discussion.

Who ever wins the job will not win it based on individual physical talents alone.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
QB who recently committed to us. (Next year's raw meat,)

Last edited:
Oh yeah, forgot about him. We have so many QBs, I can't keep any of 'em straight. I'd completely forgotten about Hefley until he was mentioned a few posts back.

Look, I like what Dane has done this year but lets not over exaggerate his accomplishments. Dane had two of the best WR in country hands down making him look way better than he actually is.

You're right. Dane is the only QB with good receivers; thus, his accomplishments are meaningless.

You're right. Dane is the only QB with good receivers; thus, his accomplishments are meaningless.
Ok......lets make this point a different way. When you evaluate the current offense we run, it is built on spreading the defense out with motion and wide WR splits, forcing the defense to choose to play the run or pass, to set up the run underneath, all while running vertical routes from the shotgun almost every play to wear out the opposing teams DB's. We arguably barring immediate JUCO help will have a worse OL next year than we did this year. If that is the case, Monty will have to adjust the scheme and move the pocket like he did at Baylor to help avoid costly sacks and turnovers. We have seen Dane struggle in yrs past when he had to move outside the pocket. With that logic, Danes leash will be very limited next year with so many other more mobile young QB's on the roster so close to his talent level. So to sum this up, if we get immediate quality JUCO help on the OL, Dane has a sligh chance to keep his job bc Monty won't have to tweak the offense and ask Dane to be mobile, but if the OL does not get immediate help, Dane will be replaced with Monty's guy!

I doubt President is the QB by game three. That would most likely mean Dane is hurt. But even if that is the case Burgess or Hefley would be my guess.

Shon if you're correct, which is fine with me, then Chad would really have improved over the off season.

Time will tell.

GO TU!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT