ADVERTISEMENT

To the "Dane Sucks" crowd ...

I doubt President is the QB by game three. That would most likely mean Dane is hurt. But even if that is the case Burgess or Hefley would be my guess.

Shon if you're correct, which is fine with me, then Chad would really have improved over the off season.

Time will tell.

GO TU!!!!
I agree. Nobody really has seen Chad or for that matter any of the other QB's on the roster to evaluate their ability to take the throne next year but Chad's playing time this year was a nod of confidence from Monty that Chad is making significant strides. It's going to be fun in spring to see who emerges!

I agree. Nobody really has seen Chad or for that matter any of the other QB's on the roster to evaluate their ability to take the throne next year but Chad's playing time this year was a nod of confidence from Monty that Chad is making significant strides. It's going to be fun in spring to see who emerges!

Or put another way, the fact that he refused to allow President to throw the ball showed a complete lack of confidence. He's a freshman, he'll get there. But not by next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Look, I like what Dane has done this year but lets not over exaggerate his accomplishments. Dane had two of the best WR in country hands down making him look way better than he actually is. My three yr old son could throw the ball up and those two WR's and they would find a way to come down with the ball. In today's game to be considered an elite QB, you need to be mobile, which is what I assume is the argument you are trying to make for Dane. Dane is not a mobile guy and when you look at the guys we have returning on the OL next year, Dane will struggle even more next year to avoid sacks. Im going to predict it now, without the duo of KG and KL, Dane will struggle and President will be our guy by the third game of the season next year.
Then why didn't Dane have the same type of success last year? He had every one of those WRs for the entire year last year. There are probably several answers why. 1) Better scheme for WRs to get into space 2) Dane has better mechanics that last year in terms of setting his feet and thus he has better accuracy which has resulted in a higher completion percentage.

Both of these are due to the new staff. Dane is having a better than average season DESPITE the deficiencies in the OL protection.

Reactions: barrister1602
He should improve slightly on reading his progressions as well by next season. I bet he figures a way to be a little more mobile next season too. IE working on his lateral moves, improving his speed running etc. Don't think he doesn't see the competition that will be coming down the pike next year for the starting QB. He won't be light years more mobile, but it might not take that drastic an improvement to cinch the starting spot.

I know $$$'s you know everything. Skipper could see the field. There are 7 QB's if they were a next level guy they would be starting by now, IMO. I may be off the mark with Skipper, but again I may not be too. we'll see.

I distinctly remember watching Baylor play the third or fourth game of RGIII true freshman year when he first took the field after an injury to the starter. He didnt look much more disoriented than President in the WildCane. Give Prez time. Maybe not next season time, but time.

Christ almighty, how the hell can you tell anything about Pres and Hefley. Christ almighty again, they are freshmen. Give them a chance to catch their breath, move into the summer, and show what they can do in their second year in the program. Tons of progress comes in between year 1 and 2. Don't get your panties in a wad TU...Warn... Hell, we'd give up on all our freshman with that attitude. What I was doing was giving more credit to what usually happens between year 1 and 2 for any recruit. I'd of said the same thing about Skipper in year 2, if we were having this debate in a year, over whatever new chippie that Montgomery recruited next year.

My knowledge of football is so minimal it's not even funny. And in so many words, I have stated as such on this board in the past. So if u think I am being a know it all, let me correct u, I know nothing. But here are some things which might be tripping u up on this, today, and in the past. I give TUBla a hard time every once in a while, cuz his lack of reading comprehension is sometimes equal to his verbosity, or typaciousness. But I am chuckling under my breath every time I type my responses to this. The only other posters I am negative with, on a regular basis, are the Glass Half Empty boys, whose co grandmeister elects are TUGrad06 and BigZit.(Who ruins my good feelings about Animal House every time he posts.) Every time we are having a bad game, or half, or quarter, they talk bad bout every player and coach on our team. That bugs me, and I think at a minimum 75% of the posters on the board. So this is just to provide some clarity for TU...Wa..., and whoever else might have misconstrued my posts, past, future, and future...

And in the spirit of this post, and the season,
To all a good night....
God Bless us every one...(...
cept BZit & Grad006, maybe.)

Last edited:
Christ almighty, how the hell can you tell anything about Pres and Hefley. Christ almighty again, they are freshmen. Give them a chance to catch their breath, move into the summer, and show what they can do in their second year in the program. Tons of progress comes in between year 1 and 2. Don't get your panties in a wad TU...Warn... Hell, we'd give up on all our freshman with that attitude. What I was doing was giving more credit to what usually happens between year 1 and 2 for any recruit. I'd of said the same thing about Skipper in year 2, if we were having this debate in a year, over whatever new chippie that Montgomery recruited next year.

I remember hearing about Hefley being some amazing quarterback out of Arkansas I believe, and how President was going to be Baylor's qb but we snagged him. I think President is a really versatile athlete from what I've seen. When the formation became old hat around the league, he couldn't do much because the offense dropped their pants and said "here's what's coming" and the defenses easily defused the play. Coach used him as a WR in the last game on a play or two, so he might be molded to play a different position better suited for his skill set than QB, it's just too early to say as you indicated G$. Wonder what happens to the Rubleys, Hefleys, Calcagnis of the world who come here expecting to get game time as a QB and never get a sniff. It's gotta be one of the worst positions to be scouted for as a prospective player.

Nothing ever was wrong with Dane's arm. His judgement isn't always the best.

The biggest weakness is that he is simply not very athletic. If he had the mobility of Kinne, he would be an exceptional QB.

Nothing ever was wrong with Dane's arm. His judgement isn't always the best.

The biggest weakness is that he is simply not very athletic. If he had the mobility of Kinne, he would be an exceptional QB.

I would say he's athletic just not elusive enough to escape when the pocket caves in. If he had more time which he really hasn't had consistently in his time here he might develop and look unstoppable. If he had the line that David Johnson had I think he would be very effective.

I'm just really impressed with the skipper kid. Who knows I just like what I saw on film.

I would say he's athletic just not elusive enough to escape when the pocket caves in. If he had more time which he really hasn't had consistently in his time here he might develop and look unstoppable. If he had the line that David Johnson had I think he would be very effective.

I'm just really impressed with the skipper kid. Who knows I just like what I saw on film.
Agreed. The 2005 or 2008 lines and Evans has closer to 5000 yards already. Tough to believe that this corps of WRs may be overall better as a group than the corps on either of those 2 teams. I realize that's up for debate. Those teams also had great RBs which this current team does not...yet. Warren may prove to be as good as Adams. OL is the biggest difference between those offenses and this year's.

Agreed. The 2005 or 2008 lines and Evans has closer to 5000 yards already. Tough to believe that this corps of WRs may be overall better as a group than the corps on either of those 2 teams. I realize that's up for debate. Those teams also had great RBs which this current team does not...yet. Warren may prove to be as good as Adams. OL is the biggest difference between those offenses and this year's.
Truff. Ppl don't understand that a good offense starts with a good Oline.

We just really need defensive talent. We have very little to none. Dane is average. He very rarely makes plays when a play breaks down and has decent accuracy with a strong arm. He's just not a playmaker like we see from the QBs in Houston, Memphis or Navy.

I swear every season on this board people claim the next 2* recruit QB we get is a diamond in the rough...and yet we never see them. I watched Chad's highlights the other night...I was honestly not impressed. If he's a bad passer, which it seems he may be, he's really not all that fast or elusive, just faster and more elusive than Dane, and that's not saying much. I hope I'm wrong, but Helfey was supposed to be awesome, Burgess was supposed to be awesome, this new Skipper kid is supposed to be awesome, and Chad was supposed to be awesome.

Right now, i'm preparing myself for 2 more years of Dane staring down his first read, throwing bombs for 4000 yards on 60% completion and maybe at some point getting a defense to help us get to 8 wins. I'm not banking on any of these 2* QBs to make any push to get past Dane. I really want us to find a diamond in the rough stud QB that's mobile and can throw decently, but I doubt we find it.

Quote from TuGrad06
Right now, i'm preparing myself for 2 more years of Dane staring down his first read, throwing bombs for 4000 yards on 60% completion and maybe at some point getting a defense to help us get to 8 wins. I'm not banking on any of these 2* QBs to make any push to get past Dane. I really want us to find a diamond in the rough stud QB that's mobile and can throw decently, but I doubt we find it.

You can relax on that 2 year preparation. Dane will be a senior next year.

Reactions: TUGrad06
Right now, i'm preparing myself for 2 more years of Dane staring down his first read, throwing bombs for 4000 yards on 60% completion and maybe at some point getting a defense to help us get to 8 wins.

Dane's got 1 year of eligibility left.

Grad06, don't compare Dane and Keenan Reynolds. Reynolds is a RB who will occasionally throw. Don't get me wrong, Reynolds is an outstanding player and runs that offense as close to perfectly as you can do it. He rarely misses a read on who should get the ball, when to pitch and when to keep. Trying to compare him and Dane is like trying to compare an apple and a pear for roundness. They're just not the same.

Fair point...but I'd rather have Reynolds with the triple option than Dane with this offense, lol. At least for this year. And not sure how I forgot he was a Junior. That's a relief. Although at least we know what we're getting from Dane most days...the other backups, who knows if they can even throw.

That was basically a very ignorant thing to say there grad06. We have none of the supporting staff on hand to play option, none.

That was basically a very ignorant thing to say there grad06. We have none of the supporting staff on hand to play option, none.
I was saying swapping offenses with personnel. Obviously we can't run the triple offense with what we have.

Anyway, hopefully Dane keeps getting better and the defense gets some JUCO's with size and speed to get us to 8 or more wins next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT