ADVERTISEMENT

The Supremes say you can't limit Church attendance

The thing that I don’t understand is why churches which have been famous for the last 50 years for having evangelical services on tv, can’t have a service online and request donations electronically. If you belong to some tiny church or synagogue that doesn’t have the means to do that, then fine but. Those haven’t been the churches raising the most furor about this. God doesn’t only exist in the building with the steeple.
Do you not read our posts? Some can and some cannot for reasons that have existed for 3000 years. They knew that. They did it anyway. Good luck with your political future Mr. Mayor. You better hope acupuncturists vote more than pissed off grandmothers.

Why can’t all sports just be played and watched on TV instead of allowing fans to attend games? 😂 When we didn’t have the info on Covid, it was temporarily acceptable. That excuse is no longer acceptable.

I am not an attorny, but the post was mine so I will defend it.

Regardless of what was in the mind of the Justices, I still think it is not good to start ignoring the Bill of Rights. I think this was argued in the abstract and there was lots of points both ways like why the number was 10 in some places.

I also think there are churches who have self limited. But other churches whose dogma just doesn't allow it. If everyone wanted to work together I blieve something more than 10 or 30 could be done in a safe manner. If we have a vaccine soon the problem will go away, but if this drags on there will be contined controversy.
It's definitely a hornet's nest of an issue, and I completely understand why. Banning religious ceremonies that can't be done except in person, even temporarily, is hard to square with the 1st Amendment.

There is at least some precedent for suspending rights during an existential national emergency, such as Lincoln suspending habeus corpus during the Civil War. But it's a reach, and I am not sure if we should open that can of worms or not.

My argument was mostly about my reading of what the SCOTUS actually said, which seemed to me to say: "If you are going to restrict in-person religious services, you'd better be careful that they are restricted in similar ways to virtually every other activity regardless of the 'safety' of the other activities. Be ready to defend your actions in that light or we will strike it down like we did this one." I think that is fair. They are leaving the door open for restrictions in the interest of public health, but they are being clear that you can't broadly allow some secular activities while disallowing religious ones, even if the secular ones are "safer".

I do think that the vast majority of churches are voluntarily being reasonable and are doing tele-services and masks indoors with minimal capacity for those that want to attend. It's just a few that are causing issues, mostly either very orthdox sects, and some other churches that just like to thumb their nose because they can. I have a lot of sympathy for one, but not the other.

In either case, I think the SCOTUS decision is understandable and fair. It was never going to be noncontroversial no matter how they ruled.

Reactions: TUMe
My only issue is that they did not seem to account for the stationary placement of people for some length of time. (1+ hour) They treated it as if walking in a store and moving around people for brief periods of 'contact' with their air space was the same risk as sitting motionless for a length of time. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My only issue is that they did not seem to account for the stationary placement of people for some length of time. (1+ hour) They treated it as if walking in a store and moving around people for brief periods of 'contact' with their air space was the same risk as sitting motionless for a length of time. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Airlines have been operational this entire time, correct? That is way more of a confined space than any church I’ve ever been to. And the flights I’ve been on were only limited to ~2/3rds capacity (middle seats left open). Don’t know if that was a government imposed restriction or a voluntary decision by airlines.

Reactions: URedskin54
Airlines have been operational this entire time, correct? That is way more of a confined space than any church I’ve ever been to. And the flights I’ve been on were only limited to ~2/3rds capacity (middle seats left open). Don’t know if that was a government imposed restriction or a voluntary decision by airlines.
The argument can be made that this is more of a necessity and that remote church services would take care of that necessity for the church. Not all passengers are traveling out of necessity, but some are. Those that are traveling for business purposes that cannot be dealt with remotely, or certain activities for legal reasons that cannot be handled remotely. I am not supporting these points, just pointing them out as the devil's advocate.

The argument can be made that this is more of a necessity and that remote church services would take care of that necessity for the church. Not all passengers are traveling out of necessity, but some are. Those that are traveling for business purposes that cannot be dealt with remotely, or certain activities for legal reasons that cannot be handled remotely. I am not supporting these points, just pointing them out as the devil's advocate.

That brings us back to the point that it's not just a science based decision. It's a subjective values based decision, and you simply can't say "x risky activity can continue but church service cannot because we think x is important and church isn't."

That brings us back to the point that it's not just a science based decision. It's a subjective values based decision, and you simply can't say "x risky activity can continue but church service cannot because we think x is important and church isn't."
Cannot one ask why it is wrong to relegate church services to functioning remotely? Certain legal and business related functions need the person there more than a person needs to be at a church service, as opposed to watching it remotely. One cannot service a mechanical unit or install a system remotely. As opposed to one being able to get almost everything out of a church service remotely. Only some of the Sacramental Rites could have arguments made for being present.(Eucharist, Initiation/Confirmation, Baptism, Anointing of the sick, etc)

Cannot one ask why it is wrong to relegate church services to functioning remotely? Certain legal and business related functions need the person there more than a person needs to be at a church service, as opposed to watching it remotely. One cannot service a mechanical unit or install a system remotely. As opposed to one being able to get almost everything out of a church service remotely. Only some of the Sacramental Rites could have arguments made for being present.(Eucharist, Initiation/Confirmation, Baptism, Anointing of the sick, etc)

The answer is simple for me: it's not up to anyone else what a person "needs" to do to practice their religion.

Doesn't mean restrictions can never be imposed but the justification, at least from my point of view (this is not a legal analysis), should never be any variation of "that's non-essential" including "you don't need to do that." I don't get to tell a Muslim he doesn't need a beard or a Jew that he doesn't need to fast on Rosh Hashanah, and I don't get to tell a Catholic that they don't need to go to church and receive Communion.

And I say this as someone who has not been to church in person since January. Whether that's because I'm trying to do the right thing or just because covid is a convenient excuse not to get up early on sunday, you decide.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
I am keeping the business functions separate from these conversations, but that is an issue. Just like an airline needs to function to meet costs, so does a church. And each business unit(am placing the church in there as well) has offshoots that stop other business units from functioning as well. For instance certain printing companies income is reduced because they do not print church bulletins/in house use of ink & paper. The airlines would have similar services and supply chain that would interrupt other business units. Things the church uses whether doing the service remotely or not, might be impacted with lesser offertory donations.

True, but regulating flight capacity also isn't something that the governors can control (except maybe for intrastate travel?) so using it as an example shouldn't really be considered when talking about the fairness of the state shutdowns vis a vis religion vs. secular businesses.

Edit: Internal trains and subways, on the other hand...

Reactions: URedskin54
True, but regulating flight capacity also isn't something that the governors can control (except maybe for intrastate travel?) so using it as an example shouldn't really be considered when talking about the fairness of the state shutdowns vis a vis religion vs. secular businesses.

Edit: Internal trains and subways, on the other hand...

Very true. Definitely doesn’t apply to the Cuomo case before the court.

The thing that I don’t understand is why churches which have been famous for the last 50 years for having evangelical services on tv, can’t have a service online and request donations electronically. If you belong to some tiny church or synagogue that doesn’t have the means to do that, then fine but. Those haven’t been the churches raising the most furor about this. God doesn’t only exist in the building with the steeple.
You know that last sentence speaks volumes , I think a lot of people forget that the “ Church” is not a building. The Church is the followers of Christ . You can have that anywhere, it seems like nowadays some people have wanted to turn it into a country club. Aston , I do not know what your beliefs are and that’s fine , but I understand why so many people get fed up with “ Christians “ . A lot of them have an attitude that they are better than other people and that’s not right. Being a Christian means you know you are not perfect but accept the Grace of God. If you wonder what Jesus would think of all of these “ mega churches “ I would suggest to look how he reacted to the people selling items at the Temple

is it bad that every time I open this thread I think that Diana Ross said we couldn’t close churches?

Reactions: Clong83a
You know that last sentence speaks volumes , I think a lot of people forget that the “ Church” is not a building. The Church is the followers of Christ . You can have that anywhere, it seems like nowadays some people have wanted to turn it into a country club. Aston , I do not know what your beliefs are and that’s fine , but I understand why so many people get fed up with “ Christians “ . A lot of them have an attitude that they are better than other people and that’s not right. Being a Christian means you know you are not perfect but accept the Grace of God. If you wonder what Jesus would think of all of these “ mega churches “ I would suggest to look how he reacted to the people selling items at the Temple
I think he would flip some tables and break some things if he saw these churches. Same thing goes for the sheer amount of grandiose catholic cathedrals though.

Reactions: TULSARISING
(Gmoney, I do see your caveat in your last sentence, so don’t take this post personally as an attack against you!)

No politician/bureaucrat/scientist/anyone else has the right to tell me that someone else’s business trip is more “essential” than my church service. Period. End of story. Full stop.

Reactions: maverickfp
(Gmoney, I do see your caveat in your last sentence, so don’t take this post personally as an attack against you!)

No politician/bureaucrat/scientist/anyone else has the right to tell me that someone else’s business trip is more “essential” than my church service. Period. End of story. Full stop.
This is the problem with people who put religious belief above science and logic. Maybe that person’s business trip is to keep the electric grid that powers the respirators at the hospital going as well as a host of other things. There are absolutely essential workers with essential tasks that have a greater priority than 20 of the 1,000’s of church services you might attend in your life being canceled.

Religion has largely been a thorn in the side of science for so long and in many cases its immobility has been detrimental to believers and non-believers alike for centuries. When you believe that your personal conversations with a omniscient invisible power are more valuable than the actual tangible lives of those around you, we have a problem.

Last edited:

You hurt my feelings, and my grief overcame me you piece of shi*e. 😜

Last edited:
This is the problem with people who put religious belief above science and logic.
I’m not putting religious belief above science and logic (as if those were inherently at odds or mutually exclusive).

I’m putting my 1st Amendment rights above the petty tyranny of politicians/bureaucrats/etc.

I’m not putting religious belief above science and logic (as if those were inherently at odds or mutually exclusive).

I’m putting my 1st Amendment rights above the petty tyranny of politicians/bureaucrats/etc.
Firstly, science and logic are absolutely at odds with all major modern religions and it has been for centuries. The church dogma has lagged behind science for centuries. Celestial Astronomy, Biology, Evolution, Basic Health, etc... the church has failed to adopt observable and proof based conclusions for centuries. Heck there are still religions (Amish) that strive to ignore technological advancements.

Science and logic say that certain necessities supercede your first amendment rights... like the rights of others to have a sustained life. The most fundamental rights of man according to Jefferson, were life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Those were rights he listed as unalienable meaning they were fundamental to humanity. He was also the author of the Bill of rights including the constitution. And he believed that your first amendment rights should be protected, but that doesn’t mean they should be protected at the cost of other men’s unalienable rights.

Heck there are still religions (Amish) that strive to ignore technological advancements.
What they strive to do is not let those technological advancements rule/control their lives. Otherwise they wouldn't use such things as batteries, or farm equipment, which they do. They let those technologies into their lives which they feel wouldn't cause them to be further from God and further from each other. If the entire world were Amish, then we wouldn't have the virus to deal with.

You scoff off religions that have philosophies that could teach you something. Temporarily joining a circle of friends/taking a tour of amish country can be of great benefit even to those who don't intend to commit themselves. The same can be said for a severe visit to a monastic retreat in which you commit to their living and prayoral practices for the week you are there. That takes great fortitude to adapt to that within a few days. Those experiences can be life molding. Even for those who never carry a belief in the constructs of the religion they are participating in, for those few days.

If you were dismissing the Amish way of life as being backwards, I wouldn't be so quick to do so. It is an honorable life to live.

Preacher Aston is giving a great evangelical atheist sermon. Unfortunately I don't think there's anyone in the pews

What they strive to do is not let those technological advancements rule/control their lives. Otherwise they wouldn't use such things as batteries, or farm equipment, which they do. They let those technologies into their lives which they feel wouldn't cause them to be further from God and further from each other. If the entire world were Amish, then we wouldn't have the virus to deal with.

You scoff off religions that have philosophies that could teach you something. Temporarily joining a circle of friends/taking a tour of amish country can be of great benefit even to those who don't intend to commit themselves. The same can be said for a severe visit to a monastic retreat in which you commit to their living and prayoral practices for the week you are there. That takes great fortitude to adapt to that within a few days. Those experiences can be life molding. Even for those who never carry a belief in the constructs of the religion they are participating in, for those few days.

If you were dismissing the Amish way of life as being backwards, I wouldn't be so quick to do so. It is an honorable life to live.
I don’t find honor in picking and choosing which technology you think HOF would be ok with you using. I just think it’s a bit presumptuous to believe that you know exactly how the world should operate in terms of what you should or shouldn’t utilize. Moreover the Amish aren’t the only sect that shuns scientific evidence. Go ask a Baptist Preacher in Broken Arrow how old the earth is. You should get a good laugh out of that.

I don’t find honor in picking and choosing which technology you think HOF would be ok with you using. I just think it’s a bit presumptuous to believe that you know exactly how the world should operate in terms of what you should or shouldn’t utilize. Moreover the Amish aren’t the only sect that shuns scientific evidence. Go ask a Baptist Preacher in Broken Arrow how old the earth is. You should get a good laugh out of that.
I should have made it clear, and did not. I was posting this separately from the issue of meeting for church or not. You lambasted the Amish, and I made a separate point, but did not make that evident.

On a separate note I have a feeling the virus hasn't hit the Amish.

And now that I have made you aware that I was not talking about the Amish in relation to the virus, and now that we have established that they are the least likely sect to be affected by the virus... What right do you have to go tell a sect of people that can leave at any time past the age of consent, you don't have the right to determine how you want to live your life. If they want to take certain technologies out of their lives then it's none of yours or my business. We both know it will probably not affect our lives related to the virus.

Why should we care how they live their lives. They don't drive cars because it would cause their communities to separate beyond what they feel is the best ways for their communities to exist. They don't just drive horse and buggies for no reason. It is to keep their communities tightly knit. That doesn't work for the world, but it works for them. More power to them. And you didn't even get the things you could gain from their philosophy. Those lessons can go beyond living their way of life. You can use some of those lessons in your everyday life, even with technology.

The same thing applies towards their lives, as does to the LGBT community, and you are lambasting it? They have the right to live their life the way they see fit, just like the LGBT community.

Do you realize how hypocritical that makes you sound?

I should have made it clear, and did not. I was posting this separately from the issue of meeting for church or not. You lambasted the Amish, and I made a separate point, but did not make that evident.

On a separate note I have a feeling the virus hasn't hit the Amish.

And now that I have made you aware that I was not talking about the Amish in relation to the virus, and now that we have established that they are the least likely sect to be affected by the virus... What right do you have to go tell a sect of people that can leave at any time past the age of consent, you don't have the right to determine how you want to live your life. If they want to take certain technologies out of their lives then it's none of yours or my business. We both know it will probably not affect our lives related to the virus.

Why should we care how they live their lives. They don't drive cars because it would cause their communities to separate beyond what they feel is the best ways for their communities to exist. They don't just drive horse and buggies for no reason. It is to keep their communities tightly knit. That doesn't work for the world, but it works for them. More power to them. And you didn't even get the things you could gain from their philosophy. Those lessons can go beyond living their way of life. You can use some of those lessons in your everyday life, even with technology.

The same thing applies towards their lives, as does to the LGBT community, and you are lambasting it? They have the right to live their life the way they see fit, just like the LGBT community.

Do you realize how hypocritical that makes you sound?
The Amish were just one example out of hundreds of Christian Protestant sects shunning scientific provable and explainable observation / prediction or certain modern innovations. (Though it’s not only Christians or Protestants that tend to do this) I have no vendetta against the Amish. I appreciate their dedication to detailed craftsmanship and their camaraderie in their community.

Yes, there are times when a return to a simpler lifestyle is good for human well being in terms of emphasizing appreciation for life’s finer details, but in instances when complex science / reasoning becomes important to physical safety, faith should not outweigh reason. I don’t care how much you believe that your God will protect you... if someone is about to infect you with a new chemical superbug, you should probably trust the people who are able to repeatably replicate lifesaving results using modern medical technology more than you trust your local faith leader who might profess to allow you some cosmic / divine intervention in cases like this, but in reality has not shown any actual replicable proof that you will be spared via said intervention.

Maybe if there is actually a divine being existing in the ether (which I find plausible though unprovable) their provision of the mental facilities and physical laws of our reality is their way of keeping us safe and prosperous in a dangerous and difficulty existence.

Maybe what ‘God’ (whichever one you might pray to) actually wants is us to use the brains, created as a result of whatever evolutionary process kicked off after the inception of life, to keep ourselves safe rather than praying for miraculous and superfluous cosmic intervention during times of crisis. How selfish of us that we think that the mental gifts we’ve been given as humans (in comparison to those in other species) were not already blessings enough. In cases of contagions, that might mean following altered courses of action rather than instructions that a may-or-may-not-be false prophet (not from any particular religion or denomination) wrote in a book 200 to 2000+ years ago before we knew anything significant about molecular biology.

This situation reminds me of a story about a religious man, drowning in the ocean, who refuses boat after boat that comes by him offering to save him by saying “I have prayed to my god and he will save me from this situation”. Then when he finally drowns and sees his god in the afterlife and asks why he was allowed to die, his god says “I sent multiple vessels to save you”. At some point your faith can blind you to the science/ technology that might be meant to help you survive. If you willfully neglect science and reason and you die because of it, it’s your own fault... and if other people die because of your willful and self righteous neglect then it’s tantamount to murder in my eyes. That means that when you go and talk to your god after you die, that you get to answer to your God as to why you chose to disregard all the scientific warnings he provided to you and why you eliminated one or more of his creations prematurely and why you caused them to suffer as a result of your selfishness.

Last edited:
The point is not whether or not a religious person does/doesn’t use modern technology or modern medicine. The point is that governments don’t have the right to shut/limit capacity at churches, synagogues, mosques, etc when other places/activities can continue to operate under fewer/lighter restrictions.

The point is that if a government (at any level), is going to infringe on anyone’s freedom of religion or association, they better have a extremely good reason (strict scrutiny) and they better not be privileging other, non-religious activities in the writing or implementation of their rules.

The problem we’ve run into (and that the SCOTUS is addressing) is that many politicians/bureaucrats have demonstrated that they cannot be trusted to be neutral referees, and that they are showing prejudice in their rule making/enforcement based on the religious or secular nature of the activity. That must stop.

The Amish were just one example out of hundreds of Christian Protestant sects shunning scientific provable and explainable observation / prediction or certain modern innovations. (Though it’s not only Christians or Protestants that tend to do this) I have no vendetta against the Amish. I appreciate their dedication to detailed craftsmanship and their camaraderie in their community.

Yes, there are times when a return to a simpler lifestyle is good for human well being in terms of emphasizing appreciation for life’s finer details, but in instances when complex science / reasoning becomes important to physical safety, faith should not outweigh reason. I don’t care how much you believe that your God will protect you... if someone is about to infect you with a new chemical superbug, you should probably trust the people who are able to repeatably replicate lifesaving results using modern medical technology more than you trust your local faith leader who might profess to allow you some cosmic / divine intervention in cases like this, but in reality has not shown any actual replicable proof that you will be spared via said intervention.

Maybe if there is actually a divine being existing in the ether (which I find plausible though unprovable) their provision of the mental facilities and physical laws of our reality is their way of keeping us safe and prosperous in a dangerous and difficulty existence.

Maybe what ‘God’ (whichever one you might pray to) actually wants is us to use the brains, created as a result of whatever evolutionary process kicked off after the inception of life, to keep ourselves safe rather than praying for miraculous and superfluous cosmic intervention during times of crisis. How selfish of us that we think that the mental gifts we’ve been given as humans (in comparison to those in other species) were not already blessings enough. In cases of contagions, that might mean following altered courses of action rather than instructions that a may-or-may-not-be false prophet (not from any particular religion or denomination) wrote in a book 200 to 2000+ years ago before we knew anything significant about molecular biology.

This situation reminds me of a story about a religious man, drowning in the ocean, who refuses boat after boat that comes by him offering to save him by saying “I have prayed to my god and he will save me from this situation”. Then when he finally drowns and sees his god in the afterlife and asks why he was allowed to die, his god says “I sent multiple vessels to save you”. At some point your faith can blind you to the science/ technology that might be meant to help you survive. If you willfully neglect science and reason and you die because of it, it’s your own fault... and if other people die because of your willful and self righteous neglect then it’s tantamount to murder in my eyes. That means that when you go and talk to your god after you die, that you get to answer to your God as to why you chose to disregard all the scientific warnings he provided to you and why you eliminated one or more of his creations prematurely and why you caused them to suffer as a result of your selfishness.
Im confused. Are you saying most christians dont believe in science and are that man in the story not accepting help from the boats? Because i believe youre wrong. The point is some people prefer to live their life rather than stay home. There is a risk inherant to living life. Some view this as another risk but they prefer to keep living. That's not my or your or the governments job to stop them from living their life. I personally, a christian who doesnt believe in macro evolution, believe god did give us brains to invent vaccines and medications and ct scans to solve our medical issues. There is reason to stay home and isolate, and protect ourselves and others from potential hospitalization. However, we are free. And freedom needs to be maintained.

This also coming from a nurse, married to a nurse who just took care of 2 patients on 6+ drips each, on rotoprone beds for 13 hours yesterday because of covid. These are usually 1 to 1 patients because its so intensive and time consuming to take care of them

Firstly, science and logic are absolutely at odds with all major modern religions and it has been for centuries. The church dogma has lagged behind science for centuries. Celestial Astronomy, Biology, Evolution, Basic Health, etc... the church has failed to adopt observable and proof based conclusions for centuries. Heck there are still religions (Amish) that strive to ignore technological advancements.

Science and logic say that certain necessities supercede your first amendment rights... like the rights of others to have a sustained life. The most fundamental rights of man according to Jefferson, were life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Those were rights he listed as unalienable meaning they were fundamental to humanity. He was also the author of the Bill of rights including the constitution. And he believed that your first amendment rights should be protected, but that doesn’t mean they should be protected at the cost of other men’s unalienable rights.
Your first sentence is just so so wrong. Its incredibly ignorant. Educate yourself. Look up ravi zacharias. Science actual proves the existence of god if youd allow yourself

Your first sentence is just so so wrong. Its incredibly ignorant. Educate yourself. Look up ravi zacharias. Science actual proves the existence of god if youd allow yourself
Yeah. No it’s not. Ask Galileo. Ask Darwin. Ask the folks that are saving themselves with vaccines made from research that used stem cell embryo’s.

This thread has really gone off the rails. I agree with the Supreme court decision but would like to see some restrictions put in place for safety. As an example, I recently saw a video of worship at one of the large non-denominational megachurches in Tulsa that was completely full with no masks or social distancing. That is unacceptable and not safe.

Like a few others on here, I too am Catholic, the Bishop in St. Louis has provided a Dispensation throughout the entire pandemic and most parishes offer mass via live streams of some sort.

@maverickfp Darwin was aware of the Cambrian explosion, though it didn't have that name during his time, he even wrote about it in his book. Even if he didn't know about it, that doesn't have much to do with Aston's point that religions disagreed with Galileo and Darwin during their lifetimes.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW

Oh you mean this science?

This thread has really gone off the rails. I agree with the Supreme court decision but would like to see some restrictions put in place for safety. As an example, I recently saw a video of worship at one of the large non-denominational megachurches in Tulsa that was completely full with no masks or social distancing. That is unacceptable and not safe.

Like a few others on here, I too am Catholic, the Bishop in St. Louis has provided a Dispensation throughout the entire pandemic and most parishes offer mass via live streams of some sort.

@maverickfp Darwin was aware of the Cambrian explosion, though it didn't have that name during his time, he even wrote about it in his book. Even if he didn't know about it, that doesn't have much to do with Aston's point that religions disagreed with Galileo and Darwin during their lifetimes.
Darwin was unaware of dna, amino acids, proteins, etc. I believe astons point was that modern day theists are too stupid to follow science and instead rely on god to save them from everything, i.e his man drowning story. I completely disagree.

"Firstly, science and logic are absolutely at odds with all major modern religions and it has been for centuries." -aston

They WERE at odds. They arent anymore. Watch the video, the more the learn about dna, proteins, etc the more it points to a creator more than random chance from primordial ooze. Hes trying to paint a picture that theists are dumb and dont follow science. Im refuting that point.

Reactions: shon46
Darwin was unaware of dna, amino acids, proteins, etc. I believe astons point was that modern day theists are too stupid to follow science and instead rely on god to save them from everything, i.e his man drowning story. I completely disagree.

"Firstly, science and logic are absolutely at odds with all major modern religions and it has been for centuries." -aston

They WERE at odds. They arent anymore. Watch the video, the more the learn about dna, proteins, etc the more it points to a creator more than random chance from primordial ooze. Hes trying to paint a picture that theists are dumb and dont follow science. Im refuting that point.

Ah, I misunderstood your point. I do agree, religion is not at odds with science anymore. Individuals and certain sects? Definitely are, but as a whole, not so much.

I think you're living in the distant past. Heard of the Cambrian Explosion?
In a review published by The Skeptics Society titled "Stephen Meyer's Fumbling Bumbling Amateur Cambrian Follies",[61] paleontologist Donald Prothero gave a highly negative review of Meyer's book. Prothero pointed out that the "Cambrian Explosion" concept itself has been deemed an outdated concept after recent decades of fossil discovery and he points out that 'Cambrian diversification' is a more consensual term now used in paleontology to describe the 80 million-year time frame where the fossil record shows the gradual and stepwise evolution of more and more complicated animal life. Prothero criticizes Meyer for ignoring much of the fossil record and instead focusing on a later stage to give the impression that all Cambrian life forms appeared abruptly without predecessors. In contrast, Prothero cites paleontologist B.S. Lieberman that the rates of evolution during the 'Cambrian explosion' were typical of any adaptive radiation in life's history. He quotes another prominent paleontologist Andrew Knoll that '20 million years is a long time for organisms that produce a new generation every year or two' without the need to invoke any unknown processes. Going through a list of topics in modern evolutionary biology Meyer used to bolster his idea in the book, Prothero asserts that Meyer, not a paleontologist nor a molecular biologist, does not understand these scientific disciplines, therefore he misinterprets, distorts and confuses the data, all for the purpose of promoting the 'God of the gaps' argument: 'anything that is currently not easily explained by science is automatically attributed to supernatural causes', i.e. intelligent design.

In his article "Doubting 'Darwin's Doubt'" published in The New Yorker,[62] Gareth Cook says that this book is another attempt by the creationist to rekindle the intelligent design movement. Decades of fossil discovery around the world, aided by new computational analytical techniques enable scientists to construct a more complete portrait of the tree of life which was not available to Darwin (hence his "doubt" in Meyer's words). The contemporary scientific consensus is that there was no "explosion". Cook cites Nick Matzke's analysis that the major gaps identified by Meyer are derived from his lack of understanding of the field's key statistical techniques (among other things) and his misleading rearrangement of the tree of life.[63]Cook references scientific literature[64]to refute Meyer's argument that the genetic machinery of life is incapable of big leaps therefore any major biological advancement must be the result of intervention by the 'intelligent designer'. Like Prothero, Cook also criticizes Meyer's proposal that if something cannot be fully explained by today's science, it must be the work of a supreme deity. Calling it a 'masterwork of pseudoscience', Cook warns that the influence of this book should not be underestimated. Cook opines that the book, with Meyer sewing skillfully together the trappings of science, wielding his credential of a Ph.D. (in history of science) from the University of Cambridge, writing in a seemingly serious and reasonable manner, will appeal to a large audience who is hungry for material evidence of God or considers science a conspiracy against spirituality.

From a different perspective, paleontologist Charles Marshall wrote in his review "When Prior Belief Trumps Scholarship" published in Science that while trying to build the scientific case for intelligent design, Meyer allows his deep belief to steer his understanding and interpretation of the scientific data and fossil records collected for the Cambrian period. The result (this book) is selective knowledge (scholarship) that is plagued with misrepresentation, omission, and dismissal of the scientific consensus; exacerbated by Meyer's lack of scientific knowledge and superficial understanding in the relevant fields, especially molecular phylogenetics and morphogenesis. The main argument of Meyer is the mathematically impossible time scale that is needed to support emergence of new genes which drive the explosion of new species during the Cambrian period. Marshall points out that the relatively fast appearance of new animal species in this period is not driven by new genes, but rather by evolving from existing genes through "rewiring" of the gene regulatory networks (GRNs). This basis of morphogenesis is dismissed by Meyer due to his fixation on novel genes and new protein folds as prerequisite of emergence of new species. The root of his bias is his "God of the gaps" approach to knowledge and the sentimental quest to "provide solace to those who feel their faith undermined by secular society and by science in particular".[65]

You post pseudoscience that ignores actual science and clearly make my point. They allow their faith to drive their search for answers rather than actual reason, logic, and scientific modeling. They look for answers that will agree with their religious pretext rather than actual observations regarding what is happening or what has happened. Hence, the man drowning. He ignores reality because he wants something that will match his pretext of faith.

Religious philosophers will point out any small item that is currently unexplained by science and say that it’s a divine intervention and then two hundred years later we will learn that it was actually the way that atoms interacted, or it was actually germs that were causing disease rather than the wrath of god. I’m not even saying that god doesn’t exist. Just that religion and science should be considered disparately because it is very unlikely that any of our scientific finding will prove the existence of god because they haven’t for 1000’s of years even though what was previously believed to be divine turned out not to be.

Space wasn’t divine. We figured out the relationships between the physics that govern celestial movement and interaction. The human body wasn’t divine. We figured out the relationships between the body’s various systems and its interaction with the outside world. Nature wasn’t divine. We figured out the processes that drive natural disasters, earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, etc... those were all things that different societies believed were controlled by the gods. Even the formerly divine concept of ‘luck’, we have more or less explained with statistics and probability and more complex mathematics.

Last edited:
The only real BIG question we have left is how these relationships came to be and why out of all the planets in all of the seemingly endless reaches of space that we are the only place we’ve observed carbon life. Someday we will probably find that out too.

Reactions: shon46
You post pseudoscience that ignores actual science and clearly make my point. They allow their faith to drive their search for answers rather than actual reason, logic, and scientific modeling. They look for answers that will agree with their religious pretext rather than actual observations regarding what is happening or what has happened. Hence, the man drowning. He ignores reality because he wants something that will match his pretext of faith.
No issues at all from me on the structure of your argument. It’s logical and is a good rebuttal. Im my opinion, only when we get full disclosure from the Vatican, can we be 100% accurate in our assessment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT