ADVERTISEMENT

The Sheriff

Never met the guy. He seems to be a piece of crap in regards to his actions as the sheriff.

I knew him when I was a kid through Boy Scouts. He's actually a good man.

I think he got long in the tooth for that job and hired some bad people to do bad jobs that people don't want to talk about, like running the jail. He trusted them and they burned him. He also was too protective of some volunteers and partisans. Then again, while I was amused by the names on the list of appraisers (and had always wondered about that when I went to sheriff sales), he was completely correct that that those were patronage positions. He probably should have left office long ago, but I wonder if there are more skeletons in the closet.

I think this whole thing raises a lot of bigger issues. The sheriff has too much power, as does the county as a whole. They are flush with cash to pay private law firms, but the court can't pay for counsel for indigent people and the schools are way behind. Why do we even have a sheriff in a city that is almost entirely incorporated? Why do we even have county government? Most of the public has no idea what they do, but they have this fiefdom that is hard to hold accountable and leads to disasters like this.

We could use this moment to change some things. We probably won't.

I saw him once at Oktoberfest, standing just a few feet away. He and his wife were 2 sheets to the wind. He had slurred speech and was cussing so bad I walk away. TPD tried to get his keys from him and drive him home. He told them what they could do with themselves. A friend on TPD then told me, he gets in a wreck and kills someone and we will bury his a$$. TPD offered him the same curtesy drive home they offered many others. After that moment I had a very low opinion of the man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT