ADVERTISEMENT

The Advocates

astonmartin708

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Apr 17, 2012
My comments about Biden in another thread regarding his apparently historic lisp led me (out of curiosity) to go looking for youtube clips of him as a younger politician to see how noticeable any speech impediment might have been back in his early days. Not that it makes much of a difference, but I think his age has certainly made it more pronounced.

What I came across was a video of Biden on a television program from the early 70's watergate era called 'The Advocates' when he was a 29 year old Senator. I became much more interested in the format of the program and the well versed and issue driven questions that were being lobbed at him from opposing sides, both of whom were represented by seemingly knowledgeable men. I was very interested in the style, of basically putting the interviewee on the stand and having them examined and cross examined.... like the people in the audience were the jury. It's like a higher brow version of crossfire where there's less outright speculation by those doing the questioning and more genuine questions about issues instead. I would LOVE to see this type of program come back in a more modern media format.

I'm sure some of the older people on this board were probably aware of this PBS program from that political era, but I as a youngster am certainly intrigued.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Got any video of him casting that vote in the Senate to restore the citizenship of Robert E Lee?

Reactions: noble cane
Just read that this program won a peabody award and 4 emmy's. It was apparently stopped producing due to the parent broadcasting companies' financial troubles unrelated to the show itself. They should really revive it.

My comments about Biden in another thread regarding his apparently historic lisp led me (out of curiosity) to go looking for youtube clips of him as a younger politician to see how noticeable any speech impediment might have been back in his early days. Not that it makes much of a difference, but I think his age has certainly made it more pronounced.

What I came across was a video of Biden on a television program from the early 70's watergate era called 'The Advocates' when he was a 29 year old Senator. I became much more interested in the format of the program and the well versed and issue driven questions that were being lobbed at him from opposing sides, both of whom were represented by seemingly knowledgeable men. I was very interested in the style, of basically putting the interviewee on the stand and having them examined and cross examined.... like the people in the audience were the jury. It's like a higher brow version of crossfire where there's less outright speculation by those doing the questioning and more genuine questions about issues instead. I would LOVE to see this type of program come back in a more modern media format.

I'm sure some of the older people on this board were probably aware of this PBS program from that political era, but I as a youngster am certainly intrigued.

Odd, that he was a 29 year old Senator, the pesky old Constitution say you have to be at least 30!

Did they get his vote to reinstate Jeff Davis's citizenship as well?
I believe he sided with such great segregationists like Byrd and Tallmadge on that one...

Reactions: HuffyCane
Did they get his vote to reinstate Jeff Davis's citizenship as well?
I believe he sided with such great segregationists like Byrd and Tallmadge on that one...
The vote for Lee was unanimous in the Senate and only had 10 dissenters in the House. Also this was 2 years after his wife and daughter died in a car crash and the only reason that Lee wasn't considered a citizen is that his oath of allegiance didn't reach Andrew Johnson, but was seen by Grant. Why are you bashing him for voting for Lee when the majority of your party supports Lee and the flag for which he fought? Shouldn't you like that about him?

The Jefferson Davis bill was introduced by a Republican from Oregon and cosponsored by Republican Orin Hatch from Utah and another (racist) Republican Strom Thurmond.

Last edited:
The vote for Lee was unanimous in the Senate and only had 10 dissenters in the House. Also this was 2 years after his wife and daughter died in a car crash and the only reason that Lee wasn't considered a citizen is that his oath of allegiance didn't reach Andrew Johnson, but was seen by Grant. Why are you bashing him for voting for Lee when the majority of your party supports Lee and the flag for which he fought? Shouldn't you like that about him?

The Jefferson Davis bill was introduced by a Republican from Oregon and cosponsored by Republican Orin Hatch from Utah and another (racist) Republican Strom Thurmond.
Strom Thurmond was a Democrat. He left the party or was kicked out depending on who you ask because he supported his Senate colleague Barry Goldwater snd he hated LBJ both before and after LBJ was openly racist. Numerous Republicans condemned the switch and the concessions that allowed him to keep his seniority.

I would venture to guess that an equal or greater number of Democrats admire Lee, after all there was one Republican and one Democrat at Appomattox. One had an American Indian on his staff and freed the slave he was given by his father in the law. The other didn’t. What Republicans don’t like is government telling them what to do or how to think. And that includes being told to do things like tear down outdated statues of traitors which were erected by Republicans as good will gestures to help pacify the population since there had to be a standing army commanded by Republicans present to keep Democratic klan members from murdering one fifth of the population.

Strom Thurmond was a Democrat. He left the party or was kicked out depending on who you ask because he supported his Senate colleague Barry Goldwater snd he hated LBJ both before and after LBJ was openly racist. Numerous Republicans condemned the switch and the concessions that allowed him to keep his seniority.

I would venture to guess that an equal or greater number of Democrats admire Lee, after all there was one Republican and one Democrat at Appomattox. One had an American Indian on his staff and freed the slave he was given by his father in the law. The other didn’t. What Republicans don’t like is government telling them what to do or how to think. And that includes being told to do things like tear down outdated statues of traitors which were erected by Republicans as good will gestures to help pacify the population since there had to be a standing army commanded by Republicans present to keep Democratic klan members from murdering one fifth of the population.
At the time of these bills, Strom Thurmond was a Republican. He chose the Republican party of his own volition. That makes him pretty Republican to me. Reagan's line "I didn't leave the Democratic Party the Democratic Party left me"? That perfectly describes Strom Thurmond.

Reactions: Bendman

Wait a minute.. Lee's wife and daughter died in a car crash?

Or are you saying that Biden can be excused for pardoning a traitor because his grief made him an unstable segregationist ally?

Reactions: HuffyCane
Wait a minute.. Lee's wife and daughter died in a car crash?

Or are you saying that Biden can be excused for pardoning a traitor because his grief made him an unstable segregationist ally?
I'm saying that the entire reason he became famous for taking the train was because he was having to split time with being in the Senate and raising his children so he might have been distracted for some of the votes of lesser importance which passed through the Senate unanimously anyways.

I'm saying that the entire reason he became famous for taking the train was because he was having to split time with being in the Senate and raising his children so he might have been distracted for some of the votes of lesser importance which passed through the Senate unanimously anyways.

Still making excuses..

So i guess he was distracted 2x...

Distractions make it all good..

Still making excuses..

So i guess he was distracted 2x...

Distractions make it all good..
Not if that was his only term... but he had how many more? 6 or 7? Plus he campaigned for / with the first African American major party candidate and the first African American President in our nation's history... I think I'll give him a pass on two votes that actually did nothing and passed through congress with near unanimous consent.

(Lee's was justified, even if you don't like him. He took the oath of allegiance to the Union after the war like he was supposed to his citizenship just got bungled and he didn't require proof of it at that time. Davis is a little more complicated in that congress wanted to bar him from coming back into the Senate after the war)

Not if that was his only term... but he had how many more? 6 or 7? Plus he campaigned for / with the first African American major party candidate and the first African American President in our nation's history... I think I'll give him a pass on two votes that actually did nothing and passed through congress with near unanimous consent.

He had 6 or 7 terms and now he thinks he can fix the country?

He had 6 or 7 terms and now he thinks he can fix the country?
He had 1% of power as a senator in that time (1/100) and that's if you assume that the minority party has equal power to the majority party and if you completely disregard the power of the House or the other 2 branches.

In his time in the Senate the R's controlled the chamber 50% of the time. There were R's in the White House more than half the time as well.

Last edited:
He had 1% of power as a senator in that time (1/100) and that's if you assume that the minority party has equal power to the majority party and if you completely disregard the power of the House or the other 2 branches.

In his time in the Senate the R's controlled the chamber 50% of the time. There were R's in the White House more than half the time as well.
He was President of the Senate for two years when the Dems controlled both houses and met with the President each morning during that time. Stop being silly.

He was President of the Senate for two years when the Dems controlled both houses and met with the President each morning during that time. Stop being silly.
Two whole years!? Really? Wow! He really did flub it! I guess dealing with a crippling recession brought on during the previous administration isn't for everybody.

Wait....

Wasn't Trump President of the entire United States for two whole years when he had control of both houses of congress? Why didn't he fix all of our problems? Was he given a tanking economy to start off with? Oh! He wasn't, you say?

He had his chance. He did nothing. He’ll do nothing as President. Maybe that’s a good thing.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
He had his chance. He did nothing. He’ll do nothing as President. Maybe that’s a good thing.

You are right about one thing.. HE will do nothing as president...

I see Mel Brooks in "Blazing Saddles".... "work work work...work work work... " sniffs secretarys hair "whats this, Kamala?"
"Its Cam uh luh"..
"What are you worried about? He's dead.. he cant sue you.. whats this.. ?"
"Its a pen, Mr President"
"Whos the president?"
"You are."
"I am?"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT