ADVERTISEMENT

Clearly we hired the wrong guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know that, but I'm guessing he got the offer of UNLV later, and liked the opportunity better. Unlv is established more as a program than Texas St. Maybe it was because they both liked the opportunity to coach at TU, and went their separate ways because that was more the draw for Brennan as much as working with Kinne was. I was a little curios about that myself.
Speaking of UNLV, they're 6-2 under Barry Odom, the guy we wanted to hire from Arky but wouldn't pay enough. Their only losses are against #2 Michigan and 7-1 Fresno State. Tho perhaps I should post this on the Rick Dickson thread instead?

Speaking of UNLV, they're 6-2 under Barry Odom, the guy we wanted to hire from Arky but wouldn't pay enough. Their only losses are against #2 Michigan and 7-1 Fresno State. Tho perhaps I should post this on the Rick Dickson thread instead?
And they were on the 8 yd line of Fresno with less than a minute to go, and got intercepted on third down. So the Fresno game was a close one. They just couldn't stop a 3rd quarter comeback of 24 pts by Fresno.

If we see this stuff next year, then yeah it was a terrible hire.
Even next year I give him a pass. Because we lose so very many grads, etc. with all their experience. Next year 's recruiting class will be all his (& going well...so far). Many youngsters are getting PT & valuable experience. For me, it's year 3 for KDub. Didn't it take 3 years for him to start digging Indiana out of a long-term hole?

My only gripe so far is who the heck is calling plays. If it's mostly the HC, I imagine our OC, The O'l Ball Coach, Jr., might start wondering if he could do better.

Y'all need to knock this crap off. He never had the locker room. Monty left the program in shambles, the worst aspect being the absolute lack of respect and discipline by his players. The guy didn't recruit his last season bc he knew was going to get canned.

KW wrote this season off before he took over (see my complaints about him not leaving an OSU during the playoffs to get setup for this season). There's a reason he wouldn't take the job unless it was a 5 year contract. The guy is trying to build something and if that means showing the young guys he won't tolerate the older players bowing up to the coach, then so be it.

If we see this stuff next year, then yeah it was a terrible hire. But there's no point saying we should fire the staff this season. It isn't going to happen. All we can do is hope his recruits he brings in are more talented and the guys who are allowed to stay buy in to what he's doing - the current holdovers clearly don't. I don't think they ever did - how could they when aren't doing yoga with the coaches wife and commiting 10+ PFs per game with no repercussions.
I agree with this... most do not realize or cared enough to understand just how bad the program was. It was a reflection of the poor management of the university overall.

Reactions: TU Pilot
I agree with what you say about timing - but we're stuck with this bc we screwed up our finances, then picked terrible people to fix that issue, leading to other problems. So Monty (and Haith) were here way too long and paid way too much. All we can do is play the cards we've been dealt (partially by ourselves 😂).
This ^^^

Even next year I give him a pass. Because we lose so very many grads, etc. with all their experience. Next year 's recruiting class will be all his (& going well...so far). Many youngsters are getting PT & valuable experience. For me, it's year 3 for KDub. Didn't it take 3 years for him to start digging Indiana out of a long-term hole?

My only gripe so far is who the heck is calling plays. If it's mostly the HC, I imagine our OC, The O'l Ball Coach, Jr., might start wondering if he could do better.
He never dug Indiana out of their hole.

Being competitive at Tulsa within the AAC should not be as difficult as being competitive within the Big 10 as Indiana. We should be allowed to have some higher expectations than two terrible losing seasons and a 6-7 bowl season.

He never dug Indiana out of their hole.

Being competitive at Tulsa within the AAC should not be as difficult as being competitive within the Big 10 as Indiana. We should be allowed to have some higher expectations than two terrible losing seasons and a 6-7 bowl season.
Kind of like 3 winning records in 8 years?

Kind of like 3 winning records in 8 years?
The person you're referring to no longer works at TU. Also, I don't care about "winning records" I care about a bowl game being our minimum not our maximum. Montgomery failed that challenge. Looks to me like Wilson will too.

Dense or just conveniently ignoring words to cut him down more. 'started digging'
G$$$ is the guy on the board who accepts coaches STARTING to suck less, 3 years into the gig.

Low expectations are how you become Tulane under Rick Dickson.

I don't want to mirror the story of "Why does Rice play Texas?". Having a good program shouldn't be considered a moonshot. If you look at it like that you will always be relegated to mediocrity at best and ineptitude at worst. We won't ever be Texas or Alabama.... but we sure as heck could build ourselves into Boise State.

Last edited:
The person you're referring to no longer works at TU. Also, I don't care about "winning records" I care about a bowl game being our minimum not our maximum. Montgomery failed that challenge. Looks to me like Wilson will too.
Always an optimist.

G$$$ is the guy on the board who accepts coaches STARTING to suck less, 3 years into the gig.

Low expectations are how you become Tulane under Rick Dickson.
You have no idea what I want. You want somebody to walk in here and make an immediate turnaround 1st year or can them. That rarely happens, and almost never works.

You have no idea what I want. You want somebody to walk in here and make an immediate turnaround 1st year or can them. That rarely happens, and almost never works.
I don't expect an immediate improvement... but I also don't expect someone to walk into a program with a mediocre (not good but not terrible) squad and somehow make the squad significantly WORSE suffering multiple 50 point beatdowns and making poor personnel decisions.

I don't expect an immediate improvement... but I also don't expect someone to walk into a program with a mediocre (not good but not terrible) squad and somehow make the squad significantly WORSE suffering multiple 50 point beatdowns and making poor personnel decisions.
If Monty had been retained this year, it would have been the same if not worse. Wilson retained most of his players. Football is immensely more difficult to turn around quickly. Hopefully we see signs of it beginning next year. The Monty hangover isn't cured immediately. Wilson is working against a lack of nil. That isn't his fault.

If Monty had been retained this year, it would have been the same if not worse. Wilson retained most of his players. Football is immensely more difficult to turn around quickly. Hopefully we see signs of it beginning next year. The Monty hangover isn't cured immediately. Wilson is working against a lack of nil. That isn't his fault.
For sure. Monty had 2 win, 3 win and 4 win seasons while he was here. Monty would have struggled to win 3 games this year.

If we get our butts kicked this bad 2 weeks in a row next year against that conference lineup and I'll have a difficult time defending it.

Expecting someone, anyone to come in here the first year after mediocre Monty has been here for years, and to win with players primarily recruited under that regime and win the majority of the games is a stretch. Injuries and depth at certain positions have not helped matters. I’ll expect improvement as Wilson and company get their players in the system so improvements in years 2 and 3 will be critical.

Expecting someone, anyone to come in here the first year after mediocre Monty has been here for years, and to win with players primarily recruited under that regime and win the majority of the games is a stretch. Injuries and depth at certain positions have not helped matters. I’ll expect improvement as Wilson and company get their players in the system so improvements in years 2 and 3 will be critical.
If we lose to Charlotte and/or ECU, then I'll be concerned. Win those and get to 5 wins (with 2 top 10 opponents) and I think that's satisfactory. Beat UNT too and make a bowl and I'll be happy.

For sure. Monty had 2 win, 3 win and 4 win seasons while he was here. Monty would have struggled to win 3 games this year.

If we lose to Charlotte and/or ECU, then I'll be concerned. Win those and get to 5 wins (with 2 top 10 opponents) and I think that's satisfactory. Beat UNT too and make a bowl and I'll be happy.
The funniest thread I saw on twitter this weekend was an ex player (punter) saying Monty LOVED Tulsa and the emotion was just different because he really cared! Wahhh blah blah blah. Sorry that our current coach doesn't have his weird wife lead yoga or have a fake book writing name to have discussions about. Man, some Tulsa fans can just be so idiotic.

Thats very speculative. I don’t necessarily think that’s true. I don’t think it takes a lot of talent from the coaching staff or the players to get beat by 50. Which team do you think Monty would have lost to that Wilson beat? N.I. And Temple are atrocious.

• Haha
Reactions: TU 1978
Thats very speculative. I don’t necessarily think that’s true. I don’t think it takes a lot of talent from the coaching staff or the players to get beat by 50. Which team do you think Monty would have lost to that Wilson beat? N.I. And Temple are atrocious.
Are you kidding? Monty had 2 and 3 win seasons my dude. It's weird you ignore that.

Actually I have access to the multiverse and have visited the universes where Monty is still our coach, and I assure you this is not speculative :)

Monty's 2017 team lost to UConn and New Mexico, both of which finished 3-9. Those teams are about on par with Temple this year. NIU is better than either of those teams. I think Monty would have lost at least 1 of those games, as well as Tulane and NT looking into the future. I think Monty would have won 3 or 4 games this year. If/how much we overperform Monty is TBD obviously.

Monty's 2017 team lost to UConn and New Mexico, both of which finished 3-9. Those teams are about on par with Temple this year. NIU is better than either of those teams. I think Monty would have lost at least 1 of those games, as well as Tulane and NT looking into the future. I think Monty would have won 3 or 4 games this year. If/how much we overperform Monty is TBD obviously.
His 2017 team had worse defensive talent and scheme than this one does / Monty’s last one had….also it was missing a QB. You could argue that this team is missing a QB as well, but I think Monty retains his 5th year senior and we win at least the same number of games. Honestly I think Monty might have got to 6 this season with the same team and a weak conference schedule.

His 2017 team had worse defensive talent and scheme than this one does / Monty’s last one had….also it was missing a QB. You could argue that this team is missing a QB as well, but I think Monty retains his 5th year senior and we win at least the same number of games. Honestly I think Monty might have got to 6 this season with the same team and a weak conference schedule.
Good chance we still get to 6, but the fact we are still talking about Montgomery is absolutely pathetic. It's not needed and dumb.

Monty only got to 6 wins in the regular season in 4 of his 8 years. I respect your opinion and value your contribution, but you're delusional.

Our QBs are almost always bad but they're especially bad when it's clear they have to pass. Does Monty's patented run between tackles, run between tackles, pass on 3rd and 8 seem like a recipe for success with this team?

Monty only got to 6 wins in the regular season in 4 of his 8 years. I respect your opinion and value your contribution, but you're delusional.

Our QBs are almost always bad but they're especially bad when it's clear they have to pass. Does Monty's patented run between tackles, run between tackles, pass on 3rd and 8 seem like a recipe for success with this team?
So what you’re saying is that there’s a 50-50 shot that he would have hit 6 wins….

Monty’s play calling, as bad as it was at times, was a lot, lot, lot better than what we’ve seen this season as long as had a QB who could make the throws.

You complain about run-run-pass….. but Wilson is only throwing the ball 37% of the time.

Monty‘s best teams were when he was closer to 50/50 pass attempts to run attempts. His worst (like 2017) were when he was having to call many more run plays than pass plays… just like Wilson this year.

So what you’re saying is that there’s a 50-50 shot that he would have hit 6 wins….

Monty’s play calling, as bad as it was at times, was a lot, lot, lot better than what we’ve seen this season.

You complain about run-run-pass….. but Wilson is only throwing the ball 37% of the time.
At cause of 37%, poor quarterbacks with many, many interceptions. But that probably has nothing to do with it.

I guess I just don't look at this team and think "wow, these guys would have been above average compared to all the Monty teams". They look more like the 2 or 3 win teams than the 6 or 7. But I don't know much tbh.

saupload_lloyd-300x300.jpg

You have a point about run/pass ratio. We can't pass much bc we're so bad at it. But I don't think Monty's offense would be more effective than what we have.

The funniest thread I saw on twitter this weekend was an ex player (punter) saying Monty LOVED Tulsa and the emotion was just different because he really cared! Wahhh blah blah blah. Sorry that our current coach doesn't have his weird wife lead yoga or have a fake book writing name to have discussions about. Man, some Tulsa fans can just be so idiotic.

Yeah many of Monty’s former players have not represented themselves well on social media since he was fired. And someone saying that Monty was still the head coach at Tulsa after 8 years because he loved Tulsa gives me secondhand embarrassment for that person

Yeah many of Monty’s former players have not represented themselves well on social media since he was fired. And someone saying that Monty was still the head coach at Tulsa after 8 years because he loved Tulsa gives me secondhand embarrassment for that person
His ex punter said "He cared, HE REALLY CARED! THAT'S WHY WE LOVED HIM"

Another individual "He freaking lived for Tulsa and wasn't trying to build a resume. He wanted to be in Tulsa for the rest of his career"

bahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhhhahahaha

At cause of 37%, poor quarterbacks with many, many interceptions. But that probably has nothing to do with it.
One QB is significantly worse at passing than the other…. Guess who Wilson has been playing for the majority of the Reps recently?

One QB is significantly worse at passing than the other…. Guess who Wilson has been playing for the majority of the Reps recently?
How has Cardell looked on the road Breh? AWFUL.

He's a freshman and needs time. Neither has been amazing this year and it puts coaches in a tough spot.

His ex punter said "He cared, HE REALLY CARED! THAT'S WHY WE LOVED HIM"

Another individual "He freaking lived for Tulsa and wasn't trying to build a resume. He wanted to be in Tulsa for the rest of his career"

bahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhhhahahaha
Monty was certainly a player’s coach. We saw some of the bad that went with that good though.

You don’t see Wilson doing the “You got me!?” Chants in the locker room though. I’m pretty sure Monty was behind the “Tulsa vs ‘Errbody” shirts as well. If you want to jab Monty, you can easily jab him about end of game decision making, play calling, or staffing. I wouldn’t get hung up on jabbing him about his relationship with the players. The attitude of the players in Monty’s last days vs that or say Graham or BB is night and day. They felt like Graham abandoned them and they thought BB was divisive.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
Monty was certainly a player’s coach. We saw some of the bad that went with that good though.

You don’t see Wilson doing the “You got me!?” Chants in the locker room though. I’m pretty sure Monty was behind the “Tulsa vs ‘Errbody” shirts as well. If you want to jab Monty, you can easily jab him about end of game decision making, play calling, or staffing. I wouldn’t get hung up on jabbing him about his relationship with the players. The attitude of the players in Monty’s last days vs that or say Graham or BB is night and day. They felt like Graham abandoned them and they thought BB was divisive.
Oh please.

How has Cardell looked on the road Breh? AWFUL.

He's a freshman and needs time. Neither has been amazing this year and it puts coaches in a tough spot.
He’s a freshman and he needs to be moved to H back. He’s tremendous with the ball in his hands… he will never be tremendous getting the ball in other people’s hands. Also his dad is absolutely toxic and doesn’t show his face when his son is laying eggs…. Only when other QB’s are doing poorly.

He’s a freshman and he needs to be moved to H back. He’s tremendous with the ball in his hands… he will never be tremendous getting the ball in other people’s hands. Also his dad is absolutely toxic and doesn’t show his face when his son is laying eggs…. Only when other QB’s are doing poorly.
I think we are talking about different people.

Both our QBs are bad, sadly. The question is, which is less likely to make us lose? I think Cardi has more upside with some big plays but more downside too with half his passes being intercepted. Overall I think they're about the same in impact on the game. They both have a net expected value compared to an average QB of about -17 points.

Reactions: dougheffking
Both our QBs are bad, sadly. The question is, which is less likely to make us lose? I think Cardi has more upside with some big plays but more downside too with half his passes being intercepted. Overall I think they're about the same in impact on the game. They both have a net expected value compared to an average QB of about -17 points.
Cardell has a passer rating of 152. Braxton’s is 71.
Cardell has thrown 10 TDs and 7 Ints.
Braxton has thrown 1 TD and 5 Ints.
Cardell throws an INT every 17 attempts
Braxton throws an INT every 8 attempts.

I don’t believe the competition should be close. Cardell the best option today and will be the best option next year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT