ADVERTISEMENT

Clearly we hired the wrong guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardell has a passer rating of 152. Braxton’s is 71.
Cardell has thrown 10 TDs and 7 Ints.
Braxton has thrown 1 TD and 5 Ints.
Cardell throws an INT every 17 attempts
Braxton throws an INT every 8 attempts.

I don’t believe the competition should be close. Cardell the best option today and will be the best option next year as well.
My guess is Braxton won't be here next season.

• Haha
Reactions: TulsaAM
Monty was certainly a player’s coach. We saw some of the bad that went with that good though.

You don’t see Wilson doing the “You got me!?” Chants in the locker room though. I’m pretty sure Monty was behind the “Tulsa vs ‘Errbody” shirts as well. If you want to jab Monty, you can easily jab him about end of game decision making, play calling, or staffing. I wouldn’t get hung up on jabbing him about his relationship with the players. The attitude of the players in Monty’s last days vs that or say Graham or BB is night and day. They felt like Graham abandoned them and they thought BB was divisive.
There is plenty more to jab Montgomery about… and likely some of it is connected to why players supposedly loved him:

Played favorites (those on the short end of that left or don’t comment about how much they loved him)

Held no one accountable

Let academics slip to embarrassingly low levels

Toxic lockeroom

Backhanded shots at TU before he was even on the hot seat

I could go on… but yeah, dudes who weren’t made to go to class, held accountable for their bs, etc probably did like the coach. But it was to the detriment of the program.

I don’t believe the competition should be close. Cardell the best option today and will be the best option next year as well.
That’s what I’m seeing as well. I don’t understand Wilson’s decision to start one over the other at all.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
There is plenty more to jab Montgomery about… and likely some of it is connected to why players supposedly loved him:

Played favorites (those on the short end of that left or don’t comment about how much they loved him)

Held no one accountable

Toxic lockeroom

I could go on… but yeah, dudes who weren’t made to go to class, held accountable for their bs, etc probably did like the coach. But it was to the detriment of the program.
Finally some common sense. I don't know why his name is even brought up around TU anymore. I want that baylor stench gone, completely.

Reactions: TulsaAM and TU 1978

Held no one accountable

Toxic lockeroom

Monty saw relatively few players leave who ended up being any good, the ones who did leave and were good elsewhere tended to be starters (like the 2 CB’s or Devin Lamp). The only other one I can recall who didn’t get a good enough shot was the DB who ended up at Georgia.

Wilson needs to do what Konkol did after his 1st season and send most of that team packing and start from scratch!
Hard to do with the NIL budget we’re likely to have. Colorado tossed so much money at Prime. I don’t think we can do the same

Monty saw relatively few players leave who ended up being any good, the ones who did leave and were good elsewhere tended to be starters (like the 2 CB’s or Devin Lamp). The only other one I can recall who didn’t get a good enough shot was the DB who ended up at Georgia.
Ok?

Wut.

That literally has nothing to do with what he's talking about.

Wut.

That literally has nothing to do with what he's talking about.
It does. He was talking about playing favorites. Sometimes there are reasons people play favorites.

I’m sure Braylon’s dad was saying Monty played favorites when he started Brinn over Braxton. Now we see why.

As far as academics goes, that’s somewhat of an institutional problem as much as a coach problem. It’s also one that people care a lot less about when you’re winning.

It does. He was talking about playing favorites. Sometimes there are reasons people play favorites.

I’m sure Braylon’s dad was saying Monty played favorites when he started Brinn over Braxton. Now we see why.
Ronnie says all kinds of stupid sh!t. That wasn’t really what I was talking about, but ok, I’ll concede on that one point. My other points still stand.

The ability and leadership that led us to a great victory over UH is hiding somewhere in BB and if anyone can dig it out of him, it's KDub. I think it's mental after the 1st Q of the 1st game...... the picks plus injury. Get his head straight & he's our starter for 2 more years. That's no knock on Williams who is very good.

The ability and leadership that led us to a great victory over UH is hiding somewhere in BB and if anyone can dig it out of him, it's KDub. I think it's mental after the 1st Q of the 1st game...... the picks plus injury. Get his head straight & he's our starter for 2 more years. That's no knock on Williams who is very good.
Idk man… he has looked absolutely terrible outside of 1-2 decent plays. Stranger things have happened, but I just don’t think he has what we need to run a high level offense.

I agree, but I don't think his dad is of the mindset that would allow a change like that.
I never quite understood that mindset. You could be a QB who is destined to play at a lower division or get no playing time, or you could be a football player who might have a shot at being pro some day. Which should you choose?

At a certain point if I were Braxton, I would be suggesting it to the coaches. Heck, put me in alongside Williams and we can really mix things up from a scheme standpoint!

I never quite understood that mindset. You could be a QB who is destined to play at a lower division or get no playing time, or you could be a football player who might have a shot at being pro some day. Which should you choose?

At a certain point if I were Braxton, I would be suggesting it to the coaches. Heck, put me in alongside Williams and we can really mix things up from a scheme standpoint!
Based on Ronnie's Twitter shenanigans, I'm not sure he has the foresight for something like that.

I still think it's a little too early to completely judge Wilson at this point. I'm willing to let him continue to recruit... which he's done at a level we haven't seen here for quite some time. 247 has us at 7 and even though I wouldn't consider that good, it's higher than we've been in a long time... even though their metrics weight number of recruits as opposed to quality of recruits. Rivals and On3 have us at 3 in the conference - which is pretty damn good... Even if Cincinnati, Central Florida, and Houston were still in the conference, we'd be sitting at 5 (ahead of Houston)... which isn't bad at all (and much better than the 11ish we usually come in at).

Now are there some things Wilson has done that I don't like? Yes. Most of those have been discussed at length both here and in the Alley. However, it is difficult to distinguish at this point, if those items are related to lingering issues from the previous staff or if they are 100% Wilson's doing. Likely a mixture if we're being honest with ourselves. Wilson will have to adapt some of his approach if he wants to see success sooner rather than later, but the talent deficiencies at many important positions make it difficult to place all the blame on him.

Bottom line is, unless he's just a 100% inept coach, if he continues to recruit at this level, it would be difficult to see us continuing to suck this bad.

I still think it's a little too early to completely judge Wilson at this point. I'm willing to let him continue to recruit... which he's done at a level we haven't seen here for quite some time. 247 has us at 7 and even though I wouldn't consider that good, it's higher than we've been in a long time... even though their metrics weight number of recruits as opposed to quality of recruits. Rivals and On3 have us at 3 in the conference - which is pretty damn good... Even if Cincinnati, Central Florida, and Houston were still in the conference, we'd be sitting at 5 (ahead of Houston)... which isn't bad at all (and much better than the 11ish we usually come in at).

Now are there some things Wilson has done that I don't like? Yes. Most of those have been discussed at length both here and in the Alley. However, it is difficult to distinguish at this point, if those items are related to lingering issues from the previous staff or if they are 100% Wilson's doing. Likely a mixture if we're being honest with ourselves. Wilson will have to adapt some of his approach if he wants to see success sooner rather than later, but the talent deficiencies at many important positions make it difficult to place all the blame on him.

Bottom line is, unless he's just a 100% inept coach, if he continues to recruit at this level, it would be difficult to see us continuing to suck this bad.
Of course we can't completely judge Wilson. I will completely judge him in year 3

Reactions: rusty-c
Likely a mixture if we're being honest with ourselves. Wilson will have to adapt some of his approach if he wants to see success sooner rather than later, but the talent deficiencies at many important positions make it difficult to place all the blame on him.

Cardi cleaned up against Pine Bluff and Temple - he was nearly perfect in those 2 games, 27 of 31 for 477 yards, 6 TDs and 0 INTs.

Against everyone else, he's 46 of 90 for 611 yards, 4 TDs and 7 INTs. On the other hand, Braxton is averaging 4.6 yards per rush and Cardi 3.0, tho Cardi's rushing numbers are once again skewed by Temple, where he was 10 rushes for 90 yards. Otherwise, he's at 40 rushes for 59 yards.

Cardi's numbers are overall better than Braxton but he's not going to win games for you unless you're playing the Pine Bluffs and Temples of the world. Cardi certainly hasn't played well enough to keep someone else on the bench that's for sure. I imagine if Braxton keeps like he is, Cardi will take over but I don't think it was irrational for the staff to give Braxton some consistent reps to see if he could be an improvement since QB was certainly not a strength otherwise.

Remember Cody Green was going to be drafted in the NFL, according to his camp. Never underestimate the irrationality of people.

Cardi cleaned up against Pine Bluff and Temple - he was nearly perfect in those 2 games, 27 of 31 for 477 yards, 6 TDs and 0 INTs.

Against everyone else, he's 46 of 90 for 611 yards, 4 TDs and 7 INTs. On the other hand, Braxton is averaging 4.6 yards per rush and Cardi 3.0, tho Cardi's rushing numbers are once again skewed by Temple, where he was 10 rushes for 90 yards. Otherwise, he's at 40 rushes for 59 yards.

Cardi's numbers are overall better than Braxton but he's not going to win games for you unless you're playing the Pine Bluffs and Temples of the world. Cardi certainly hasn't played well enough to keep someone else on the bench that's for sure. I imagine if Braxton keeps like he is, Cardi will take over but I don't think it was irrational for the staff to give Braxton some consistent reps to see if he could be an improvement since QB was certainly not a strength otherwise.
To be fair, Braxton was 1-4 with 2 interceptions against that Pine Bluff squad :).

The funniest thread I saw on twitter this weekend was an ex player (punter) saying Monty LOVED Tulsa and the emotion was just different because he really cared! Wahhh blah blah blah. Sorry that our current coach doesn't have his weird wife lead yoga or have a fake book writing name to have discussions about. Man, some Tulsa fans can just be so idiotic.
Bennet wasn’t it ? ( not sure if I spelled the name right )

His ex punter said "He cared, HE REALLY CARED! THAT'S WHY WE LOVED HIM"

Another individual "He freaking lived for Tulsa and wasn't trying to build a resume. He wanted to be in Tulsa for the rest of his career"

bahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhhhahahaha
Ya… he wanted to stay here because he didn’t know if he would be able to get another job… but auburn was even dumber then us and took him

I always got the sense that the players loved Monty and respected him. They played hard. The team never gave up. If Monty had an OC he would still be here and we would all love him.

Im not real sure about the meeting and its implications. I bet half the team is in the portal next year.

This is probably going to get a lot worse. The team gave up on Saturday. Period.

That wouldv'e never happened with Monty.

We are going to get beat badly by Charlotte on Homecoming and then the wheels are going to come off.

I always got the sense that the players loved Monty and respected him. They played hard. The team never gave up. If Monty had an OC he would still be here and we would all love him.

Im not real sure about the meeting and its implications. I bet half the team is in the portal next year.

This is probably going to get a lot worse. The team gave up on Saturday. Period.

We are going to get beat badly by Charlotte on Homecoming and then the wheels are going to come off.
LOL!

A. The team absolutely quit in Montgomery on more than one occasion.

B. You whined just as loud as anyone to fire Montgomery.

You’re a special cat, friend. The AAC board deserves you and you deserve those fools. So I think you’re better off dragging TU through the mud there than you are here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Henry Kendall

So we're saying we don't mind losing a lot like Monty did as long as the guys try hard? Are we in Pop Warner again? Stars for everyone! But what about the fights and penalties? Those are ok as long as the guys are playing hard, too? The guy fielded a team that was an embarrassment as well as being a bad coach.

FWIW, KW went 1-11 his first season at Indiana before delivering 2 of the 5 bowl seasons they've had in the last 30 years.

LOL!

A. The team absolutely quit in Montgomery on more than one occasion.

B. You whined just as loud as anyone to fire Montgomery.

You’re a special cat, friend. The AAC board deserves you and you deserve those fools. So I think you’re better off dragging TU through the mud there than you are here.
Half the posters on here are like "KW needs to drive off most of the players!" and half the posters are like "KW is too mean, he drives off players!". I guess that's life when you're a college coach who isn't winning.

Half the posters on here are like "KW needs to drive off most of the players!" and half the posters are like "KW is too mean, he drives off players!". I guess that's life when you're a college coach who isn't winning.

Gonna be funny seeing these idiots reactions when we start winning next season big time. Will be hilarious

Reactions: TU Sepp
All things considered, even some of our most obnoxious posters are pretty tame compared to some of the larger fanbases in the SEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT