ADVERTISEMENT

Clearly we hired the wrong guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUFan1981

I.T.S. Junior
Apr 27, 2006
It’s not disputable. The team has quit on KW and we’ve been humiliated in consecutive weeks. The guy acts like no one could possibly know more about football than him.

His qb management has been a disaster…his handling of the DC situation was a disgrace and his play calling stinks!

I’d say fire him, but I don’t think they’ll have to…I think Wilson will quit! Wishful thinking I know.

Y'all need to knock this crap off. He never had the locker room. Monty left the program in shambles, the worst aspect being the absolute lack of respect and discipline by his players. The guy didn't recruit his last season bc he knew was going to get canned.

KW wrote this season off before he took over (see my complaints about him not leaving an OSU during the playoffs to get setup for this season). There's a reason he wouldn't take the job unless it was a 5 year contract. The guy is trying to build something and if that means showing the young guys he won't tolerate the older players bowing up to the coach, then so be it.

If we see this stuff next year, then yeah it was a terrible hire. But there's no point saying we should fire the staff this season. It isn't going to happen. All we can do is hope his recruits he brings in are more talented and the guys who are allowed to stay buy in to what he's doing - the current holdovers clearly don't. I don't think they ever did - how could they when aren't doing yoga with the coaches wife and commiting 10+ PFs per game with no repercussions.

I could seriously see him leaving for a job as an OC after this season at a Big 10 school. No way he is enjoying this. Most of our coaches that we fired at least had a decent first season. This is just embarrassing.

I'm not writing him off, just a feeling.

Reactions: TulsaAM
I mean...I'm not that far yet. But yikes he definitely doesn't instill confidence. Has anything gotten better in scheme, penalties, discipline, anything??

Reactions: drboobay
I've always thought that unless there is cause (more serious than losing), a head coach hire should get three years to turn things around. Maybe I should think again.

Y'all need to knock this crap off. He never had the locker room. Monty left the program in shambles, the worst aspect being the absolute lack of respect and discipline by his players. The guy didn't recruit his last season bc he knew was going to get canned.

KW wrote this season off before he took over (see my complaints about him not leaving an OSU during the playoffs to get setup for this season). There's a reason he wouldn't take the job unless it was a 5 year contract. The guy is trying to build something and if that means showing the young guys he won't tolerate the older players bowing up to the coach, then so be it.

If we see this stuff next year, then yeah it was a terrible hire. But there's no point saying we should fire the staff this season. It isn't going to happen. All we can do is hope his recruits he brings in are more talented and the guys who are allowed to stay buy in to what he's doing - the current holdovers clearly don't. I don't think they ever did - how could they when aren't doing yoga with the coaches wife and commiting 10+ PFs per game with no repercussions.
^This^ is bullcrap.

Cmon guys give the man a chance! We knew that Monty left us with a mess.

Please elaborate
Mostly I was talking about the first paragraph. Bad HS recruiting classes aren't felt immediately because freshmen rarely play immediately. They're felt years later.

Wilson had plenty of time to fill holes where they existed with the portal. He went out and grabbed the wrong guys and encouraged guys to go that he shouldn't have. This season isn't a program discipline problem.... it's a leadership / scheme / personnel decisions problem.

My biggest gripe with Wilson right now isn't even his on the field performance.... it's his off the field demeanor combined with his performance. He was an A-hole this offseason to the media and people took that to mean he was a disciplinarian. He was fired at Indiana for being an A-hole to his injured players. I don't think he's going to stick around long unless he makes DRASTIC changes to his own demeanor as well as the way the program runs from the top down.

Mostly I was talking about the first paragraph. Bad HS recruiting classes aren't felt immediately because freshmen rarely play immediately. They're felt years later.

Wilson had plenty of time to fill holes where they existed with the portal. He went out and grabbed the wrong guys and encouraged guys to go that he shouldn't have. This season isn't a program discipline problem.... it's a leadership / scheme / personnel decisions problem.

My biggest gripe with Wilson right now isn't even his on the field performance.... it's his off the field demeanor combined with his performance. He was an A-hole this offseason to the media and people took that to mean he was a disciplinarian. He was fired at Indiana for being an A-hole to his injured players. I don't think he's going to stick around long unless he makes DRASTIC changes to his own demeanor as well as the way the program runs from the top down.
I was, and am, critical of his decision to not immediately start as the Tulsa HC. He phoned in the first couple weeks and it was definitely not his priority with them being in the playoffs. That, combined with the insistence on a 5 year contract (not the norm), I think he wrote off this year. Yeah he did what he could, but the main goal was un-f**king the mess Monty left (discipline, academics).

You should go to the games all the time and chat with players parents. You'll learn a lot.

I was, and am, critical of his decision to not immediately start as the Tulsa HC. He phoned in the first couple weeks and it was definitely not his priority with them being in the playoffs. That, combined with the insistence on a 5 year contract (not the norm), I think he wrote off this year. Yeah he did what he could, but the main goal was un-f**king the mess Monty left (discipline, academics).

You should go to the games all the time and chat with players parents. You'll learn a lot.
You're not going to get many people to go to games when we're setting FBS records for futility in a half. Only people in the stands will be the parents of those players.

You're not going to get many people to go to games when we're setting FBS records for futility in a half. Only people in the stands will be the parents of those players.
I'm not entirely sure why y'all think I'm defending his means. I'm not. Once again, I'm still pissed at the way he joined the team. But it is what it is. And he isn't getting fired in season 1. Or 2. Or 3. So y'all might as well just try to understand the end goal and see if his course of action works.

He's been around big programs a long time and was brought in to not only win, fix other things that went completely ignored for like 8 years. It's going to take time to see if what he's doing will work.

I don't know what else to do other than try to understand the "why" and then wait and see what the results are end of next year.

I'm not entirely sure why y'all think I'm defending his means. I'm not. Once again, I'm still pissed at the way he joined the team. But it is what it is. And he isn't getting fired in season 1. Or 2. Or 3. So y'all might as well just try to understand the end goal and see if his course of action works.

He's been around big programs a long time and was brought in to not only win, fix other things that went completely ignored for like 8 years. It's going to take time to see if what he's doing will work.

I don't know what else to do other than try to understand the "why" and then wait and see what the results are end of next year.
Wasn't impeaching your post; just pointing out the fact that attendance is going to plummet with what KW is putting on the field. If the season is lost and the players have quit, punt those clowns outta the locker room and find players with some backbone. Tulsa fans aren't going to show up to watch this team get smoked by Rice and SMOO... And we're out of do-overs, it's now or never... The college football landscape doesn't afford us the convenience of being "patient". No other profession affords this courtesy when you really think about it

Reactions: TU Pilot

Not everyone voicing concerns thinks or even wants him fired. But a lot of people spend thousands of dollars a year in athletics, and I think we deserve to voice a little bit of worry about the current ROI. Things need fixed. Talking about it versus not talking about has the same end result, sometimes one of them makes you feel a little better 🤣

Wasn't impeaching your post; just pointing out the fact that attendance is going to plummet with what KW is putting on the field. If the season is lost and the players have quit, punt those clowns outta the locker room and find players with some backbone. Tulsa fans aren't going to show up to watch this team get smoked by Rice and SMOO... And we're out of do-overs, it's now or never... The college football landscape doesn't afford us the convenience of being "patient". No other profession affords this courtesy when you really think about it
Our attendance is better than SMU. I've been going to the SMU games a long time and actual butts in the seats are always less than what we have - those were all against us with the one exception of Army in a bowl game (still terrible crowd).

To your point, we aren't the only ones with attendance issues. And I'm sure it'll suffer, just like it did under Monty. But he gets buy from the few guys worth keeping/developing and a solid recruiting class, who knows? Maybe jump up to 20k average attendance next year. Then the year after it's a couple sell out games. And so forth.

I agree with what you say about timing - but we're stuck with this bc we screwed up our finances, then picked terrible people to fix that issue, leading to other problems. So Monty (and Haith) were here way too long and paid way too much. All we can do is play the cards we've been dealt (partially by ourselves 😂).

Not everyone voicing concerns thinks or even wants him fired. But a lot of people spend thousands of dollars a year in athletics, and I think we deserve to voice a little bit of worry about the current ROI. Things need fixed. Talking about it versus not talking about has the same end result, sometimes one of them makes you feel a little better 🤣
I understand sport bitching, but "Reeeee!!1 FIRE THEM ALL", halfway through our first season with this staff is too much. And there's a lot of it right now.

To switch topics a bit, I'm shocked that there are more people calling for KW's head than for Konkol's. The FB team might literally win more games than the BB team did, and we know they'll have a better winning %, and FB has occasionally achieved mediocrity, which is more than the BB team managed. I know I'm damning KW with faint praise by saying he's better than Konkol (it would literally be almost impossible to have a worse first season than Konkol) but I don't get the different treatment.

To switch topics a bit, I'm shocked that there are more people calling for KW's head than for Konkol's. The FB team might literally win more games than the BB team did, and we know they'll have a better winning %, and FB has occasionally achieved mediocrity, which is more than the BB team managed. I know I'm damning KW with faint praise by saying he's better than Konkol (it would literally be almost impossible to have a worse first season than Konkol) but I don't get the different treatment.
It's football season........ just give it a few weeks, we'll shift gears soon enough 🤣

All jokes aside, I don't know enough about basketball to criticize. I just cheer and boo with everyone else and drink beer.

Difference for me is konkol’s roster was pretty bad. Haith left him a very bad team.

Kevin Wilson has a roster with talent.

Assume a lot of it is “like ability”.

Assume a lot of it is “like ability”.
And we have a significant portion of fans who excuse or tolerate losing in football as unavoidable. Everyone expects to win Basketball. So two different standards for losing means different lengths of tolerance for coaching.

Like I said in another post, our problems are cultural. And that’s part of our culture.

• Sad
Reactions: TulsaAM and TU 1978
And we have a significant portion of fans who excuse or tolerate losing in football as unavoidable. Everyone expects to win Basketball. So two different standards for losing means different lengths of tolerance for coaching.

Like I said in another post, our problems are cultural. And that’s part of our culture.
Wouldn’t that mean more people would be calling for Konkol’s head and not KW’s?

That explanation would explain the exact opposite of what chito mentioned.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Talent? Wilson knew this roster was depleted, especially at Quarterback. Just go back and listen to his comments about the throwing abilities. Wilson will need to recruit an actual QB that can throw.

he should get a chance to get his players in, then if its not working.

Have we had a quality qb since Paul Smith?

he should get a chance to get his players in, then if its not working.

Have we had a quality qb since Paul Smith?
Exactly. The locker room and culture that Monty left behind was completely toxic. These Monty worshippers just make me roll my eyes. He’s got a top 3 class in the conference coming in. Have the last 2 weeks sucked? Clearly, but this is a long play. If next year is just as bad then I get it, but this roster is not good.

i think we still have 3 winnable games, Charolette, NT, and ECU.
I’m not so sure about North Texas. They had Memphis beat, scoring a TD with less than a minute left. Then Memphis drove 75 yards in 29 seconds to score the winning TD. Final score 45-43.

Reactions: okie51
I’m not so sure about North Texas. They had Memphis beat, scoring a TD with less than a minute left. Then Memphis drove 75 yards in 29 seconds to score the winning TD. Final score 45-43.
Memphis had them down 31-7 also. Not sure what happened there

That begs the question why didn’t Marion go to Texas St as O-coordinator? Just curious.
Don't know that, but I'm guessing he got the offer of UNLV later, and liked the opportunity better. Unlv is established more as a program than Texas St. Maybe it was because they both liked the opportunity to coach at TU, and went their separate ways because that was more the draw for Brennan as much as working with Kinne was. I was a little curious about that myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU1NNJ
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT