ADVERTISEMENT

Temple at Tulsa

TU1NNJ

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2004
Short week. We are favored by 4. Interesting to see if we can get pressure on the QB. On O we need to be better balanced which means - better throws and no drops.

Short week. We are favored by 4. Interesting to see if we can get pressure on the QB. On O we need to be better balanced which means - better throws and no drops.
I think the balance in play calling was there, but yes better execution is needed on the field. So far this season I don't think I've had any "WTF was that play call" moments. There seems to be a rhythm and no indecision...that I've seen.

I think the balance in play calling was there, but yes better execution is needed on the field. So far this season I don't think I've had any "WTF was that play call" moments. There seems to be a rhythm and no indecision...that I've seen.
thank god singing GIF by WE tv

Reactions: HuffyCane
It's easy to forget Temple has a football team
I went to the game there when Luke Skipper was our QB. Their attendance in actual bodies on a Thursday night was less than ours usually is on a week night game. It was made worse by playing in the large NFL stadium. I have also been to BB games at Temple. They are a school handicapped by a city and fans that focus on the pro teams especially the Eagles.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Temple will prolly feel right at home with the TU crowd on Thursday. The Tulsa St. Fair opener ain't gonna help.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Temple will prolly feel right at home with the TU crowd on Thursday. The Tulsa St. Fair opener ain't gonna help.
Holy crap the fair is already here. With that though...they've got a decent line up of concerts:
Unauthorized Journey (Journey cover band), Uncle Kracker, THE SUGAR HILL GANG, .38 Special, The Fray- probably the best lineup of the has-been concerts since I've lived in Tulsa. Add to that all the nasty fried concoctions and yeah, our game is going to be a special kind of empty on Thursday night.

Don't forget the rib-eye sandwiches in the AG barn. Nasty, they are not.
I forgot, Thursday is when they open the birthing center. There are so many people in that place during the course of the fair...I've never understood why.

The Ribeye Sandwiches are OK. My wife always opted for this one vendor that had a garlic steak tips and potatoes combo. I'm kinda over fair food. I can make my own corn dogs that are WAY better than anything you can get at the Fair.

Disagree. There haven’t been any ones that flat out cost us games yet. Recall that we got saved by a game ending interception by a team that didnt have a legit QB.

There have definitely been WTF play calls…. The problem is that the quality of opponent was either completely outmatching is, or outstandingly poor.

Disagree. There haven’t been any ones that flat out cost us games yet. Recall that we got saved by a game ending interception by a team that didnt have a legit QB.

There have definitely been WTF play calls…. The problem is that the quality of opponent was either completely outmatching is, or outstandingly poor.
At least the new coach acknowledges he made a couple of WTF calls which never happened in the last 7 years.

Incorrect again. The play calling, for the most part, has been fine. The WTF moments come in execution. I've seen a number of run plays called where the back starts hitting the hole, sees a safety 4 yds downfield and inexplicable tries to bounce outside and gets dropped for no gain. Braxton's screen pass INT is another one> Then Williams 2 missed passes last week...otherwise this holding on and needing a game ending INT is not a big deal. Those were 2 easy TDs for TU and the defense was playing well enough that the game should have been over about halfway through the 4th.

Again, don't confuse lack of execution for poor play calling.

Reactions: TU 1978
Incorrect again. The play calling, for the most part, has been fine. The WTF moments come in execution. I've seen a number of run plays called where the back starts hitting the hole, sees a safety 4 yds downfield and inexplicable tries to bounce outside and gets dropped for no gain. Braxton's screen pass INT is another one> Then Williams 2 missed passes last week...otherwise this holding on and needing a game ending INT is not a big deal. Those were 2 easy TDs for TU and the defense was playing well enough that the game should have been over about halfway through the 4th.

Has nothing to do with execution. It’s the cadence of the play calls. Completely predictable.

I did realize at one point it was pass, run, pass, run, pass, run, pass, run. It was about a 10 plays called in a row like that. Then he switched it up. It was very predictable at that point but like I said they switched it up and didnt go back to it. That was a big plus for me.

I forgot, Thursday is when they open the birthing center. There are so many people in that place during the course of the fair...I've never understood why.

The Ribeye Sandwiches are OK. My wife always opted for this one vendor that had a garlic steak tips and potatoes combo. I'm kinda over fair food. I can make my own corn dogs that are WAY better than anything you can get at the Fair.
If your using clean oil you could make a boxed corn dog from the freezer section at Walmart.

Seriously, what's your secret?

I did realize at one point it was pass, run, pass, run, pass, run, pass, run. It was about a 10 plays called in a row like that. Then he switched it up. It was very predictable at that point but like I said they switched it up and didnt go back to it. That was a big plus for me.
The real problem that I have is the unwillingness to pass downfield on 1st down. Mediocre play callers are so focused on falling behind a cadence where they might get into a 3rd and long situation that they become predictable.

If the opposing team feels like they should stack the box / play underneath zone on every single first down, then you’ve not done your run game any favors.

Oklahoma was the opposite of this. They came out swinging and executed play action on a significant number of first downs where we had sold out to stop the run. And that was before they even threatened us with any semblance of a running attack.

We are currently #123/133 in terms of percentage of passing plays this year. You might argue that it’s because of our QB woes…. But I would argue the fact that we pass so infrequently actually adds to our QB woes. Basically, we only pass downfield in obvious passing situations (mostly 3rd and long) which allows defenses to sink into a pass coverage and makes finding an open man harder on our QB.

We do occasionally do a RB swing pass or a screen on early downs, but those don’t really threaten a defense in the same way that downfield route combinations do.

The real problem that I have is the unwillingness to pass downfield on 1st down. Mediocre play callers are so focused on falling behind a cadence where they might get into a 3rd and long situation that they become predictable.

If the opposing team feels like they should stack the box / play underneath zone on every single first down, then you’ve not done your run game any favors.

Oklahoma was the opposite of this. They came out swinging and executed play action on a significant number of first downs where we had sold out to stop the run. And that was before they even threatened us with any semblance of a running attack.
Remind us again about your coaching experience?

If your using clean oil you could make a boxed corn dog from the freezer section at Walmart.

Seriously, what's your secret?
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/corn-dogs-recipe-1941945

It's an Alton Brown recipe. I'm a huge fan of Good Eats and have pulled and tried a number of recipes from that show (his CFS is also superb). I saw these and decided to try them once around this time of year and have a "State Fair" night. We all loved them and they are way better than anything you can get from the frozen food section, and IMO, they're better than anything I've had from the Fair or a food vendor like that. It's not something I do a lot but on occasion we'll do it. I also do an Oktoberfest night and I believe the recipe for the potato pancakes I make is also an Alton Brown recipe.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/corn-dogs-recipe-1941945

It's an Alton Brown recipe. I'm a huge fan of Good Eats and have pulled and tried a number of recipes from that show (his CFS is also superb). I saw these and decided to try them once around this time of year and have a "State Fair" night. We all loved them and they are way better than anything you can get from the frozen food section, and IMO, they're better than anything I've had from the Fair or a food vendor like that. It's not something I do a lot but on occasion we'll do it. I also do an Oktoberfest night and I believe the recipe for the potato pancakes I make is also an Alton Brown recipe.
That's weird....I have checked my mailboxes and haven't seen an invite to any of these. I'm sure that's just a mistake.

Reactions: rusty-c

Incorrect. In this offense, most of those flow plays to the boundary side then cuts to the field side/weak side appear to be called plays. He’s watching the safety scrape and then make the cut. It’s setting other plays up for later. And in the second half it’s also designed to tire out the safeties. That’s all you’ll get here.

The conversation about bad play calling and poor execution begins and ends with Wilson calling the 6 yard out pass to the field side against UAPB, then Braxton’s eyes and footwork giving it away, then his arm not having the zip to get the ball there on time after the safety has jumped. Wilson must know he doesn’t have the arm for that pass and should know his player might give such a long developing throw away either pre-snap or in the set up. Dane completes that pass 18/20 times and maybe one of ten is a long gain when the safety commits to the ball and doesn’t get there in time. Which I assume is what we were trying to do, but we have a different breed of horse in the barn now.

See OU last year for what an offense and play calling can look like when the starting QB is hurt, and all of their backups were highly regarded at one point. I’ll give it a little more time before complaining

Remind us again about your coaching experience?
As the many detractors of Phillip Montgomery or Pat Jones on this board will tell you…coaching experience does not make you a good coach. Similarly, a lack of coaching experience does not make you a bad one.

As the many detractors of Phillip Montgomery or Pat Jones on this board will tell you…coaching experience does not make you a good coach. Similarly, a lack of coaching experience does not make you a bad one.
… but lack of coaching experience makes you an unproven one. Your thoughts are nothing more than opinions like others based on a very small sample size. I seriously doubt after four games of watching Spurriers play calling playing, with back up QBs, that you or any of us can judge or fully appreciate what they are attempting to do to set up for longer term team success.

… but lack of coaching experience makes you an unproven one. Your thoughts are nothing more than opinions like others based on a very small sample size. I seriously doubt after four games of watching Spurriers play calling playing, with back up QBs, that you or any of us can judge or fully appreciate what they are attempting to do to set up for longer term team success.
Sure. /s

Let’s see who’s right at the end of the season.

In spite of the QB wheel-of-chance, the defense is getting better. Other than that 2nd quarter drive by NIU that went for an eternity, the guys did a good job of getting NIU to punt or fail on 4th down attempts. That 4th down stop at the end of the 3rd quarter was a real momentum swing (even though we only got 3 points out of it).

In spite of the QB wheel-of-chance, the defense is getting better. Other than that 2nd quarter drive by NIU that went for an eternity, the guys did a good job of getting NIU to punt or fail on 4th down attempts. That 4th down stop at the end of the 3rd quarter was a real momentum swing (even though we only got 3 points out of it).
Agreed. The defense played quite a bit better that they did even in the first game.

Can the admin change Aston’s name to Negative Nancy? Asking for a friend.
    • 9:40 PM
      The Mesaba sends a warning to the Titanic about an ice field that includes “heavy pack ice and [a] great number [of] large icebergs.” Wireless operator Jack Phillips—who works for the Marconi Company—is handling passengers' messages and never passes the warning on to the Titanic's bridge.
    • 10:55 PM
      The nearby Californian radios the Titanic: “Say, old man, we are stopped and surrounded by ice.” An annoyed Phillips responds: “Shut up! Shut up! I am busy. I am working Cape Race.” (A wireless station is located at Cape Race, Newfoundland, Canada.)

Can't speak for the last three pregames, but Braxton took quite a few drills so far. Curious to see if he's starting.

Reactions: HuffyCane
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT