ADVERTISEMENT

T. U. post spring roster

Anyone know what the stipulations are for applying for the medical redshirt? Does Lucas have to wait til he has exhausted his eligibility before applying, or can he apply in advance?

The school applies on your behalf and if it's straight forward and clearly meets the guidelines then the conference grants the medical hardship immediately. If it's debatable then it goes to the ncaa for review. I think his was very clear cut. First half of season and less than 30% of contests.

Reactions: jesterondirt
I make the same argument for any sport where there is a professional future.

Unless you're chasing an Olympic dream, take the money.

Concussions, permanent damage to their bodies...

You know the only difference in amateur and pro football?

The money.
The fact that educational facilities are involved where not everyone is a football player. That's the main difference. If the Dallas Cowboys want to give me a scholarship to study medicine, and then build medical school... I'm all for it.

I would say it should be need-based if it's provided. They should fill out the fafsa, and any difference between what they would be eligible for via loans, grants, work-study, etc... Could be provided. But, a lot of those players don't need the stipend. They'd use it on excesses, or beer, or pot. It's not fair to the rest of the students that are being gouged on tuition and can barely eat when players are riding scooters to class or listening to beats headphones.

Most normal students don't have 30,000 plus people paying $50 a head and a million people watching big dollar beer ad sponsored telecasts of their weekly literary science tests either.

Grad students get shares of the patents they obtain doing university research... Athletes should share in a portion of the gate, merchandising, and the broadcast rights

Reactions: RealTUTypical
Most normal students don't have 30,000 plus people paying $50 a head and a million people watching big dollar beer ad sponsored telecasts of their weekly literary science tests either.

Grad students get shares of the patents they obtain doing university research... Athletes should share in a portion of the gate, merchandising, and the broadcast rights
They already do. It's called free tuition.

What a college education cost these days?

$150,000.00 - $250,000.00 for four years? And many get a fifth year.

They already do. It's called free tuition.

NFL league minimum salary is $525,000/ yr for an undrafted free agent.

College players get a fraction of that to abuse themselves for 5 yrs... And they don't get the opportunity to go free agent after a couple of years and market their skills to a better organization without losing a year of their lives.. They are the modern equivalent of the indentured servant.

With everything they get (Tuition, room + board, free food, free books, etc...) our players probably have 'income' of 60K+.
And they're lucky they don't have to file with the IRS on their scholarship at TU (or their parents for that matter). However, I believe grad students do have to file taxes on their scholarship(s). Actually I think the cost of attendance stipends everyone is going to will likely have an impact on their taxable income and the need to file a 1040. Students who have work study must stay under 20 hours/wk to avoid income tax (and remain eligible for Fed work study $). If it is taxable income, then they are no longer defined as amateurs and now you have an NCAA issue. It's the same reason NLRB ruled that football players at Northwestern were not considered employees. They are going down a slippery slope with this "cost of attendance" thing.

NFL league minimum salary is $525,000/ yr for an undrafted free agent.

College players get a fraction of that to abuse themselves for 5 yrs... And they don't get the opportunity to go free agent after a couple of years and market their skills to a better organization without losing a year of their lives.. They are the modern equivalent of the indentured servant.
No, the university is trading tuition, books, room, food, and $1,000s of dollars worth of brand name gear for them to play a game. I agree they are getting beat to hell but that part is also a choice on their part. A means to an end maybe. They are being given that choice. Most students don't have the luxury of that choice of accepting a full scholarship in exchange to play a game vs. work a part-time job and take out student loans to get a quality college education.

Many of the players aren't interested in an education and don't benefit from it, so their value is zero. And the "cost" depends on how you think about it - tuition might be $20k but the cost to provide that education is virtually zero for the university since it's the marginal cost of a service they have to provide anyway.

It's such a wonderfully American system - everyone gets rich except the people who do the hard work, like working in a mine or a slaughterhouse. Especially since the NCAA has a monopoly on football playing, it's like people living in the company town.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Many of the players aren't interested in an education and don't benefit from it, so their value is zero. And the "cost" depends on how you think about it - tuition might be $20k but the cost to provide that education is virtually zero for the university since it's the marginal cost of a service they have to provide anyway.

It's such a wonderfully American system - everyone gets rich except the people who do the hard work, like working in a mine or a slaughterhouse. Especially since the NCAA has a monopoly on football playing, it's like people living in the company town.

If they don't like the education, and they just want to go pro, the school is providing them training and exposure for that pro-job. It's still worth it for them to go, or no one would go.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
If they don't like the education, and they just want to go pro, the school is providing them training and exposure for that pro-job. It's still worth it for them to go, or no one would go.

But if they don't like the education then they lose the alleged "pay" they get (the tuition) so they're working for free. And worse, they still have to do the schooling. It's the worst of all worlds. It would be like you having to take 6 hours of semitrailer maintenance and longshoremanship every semester in order to get your accounting degree!

If players had viable options other than college then maybe it'd be ok but they don't. And if they had viable options, then we might say that the tuition is "fair" compensation since the market would set the pay (if tuition weren't enough, they'd work for the other employee that pays cash). But colleges have a monopoly, so there's no way to say the market sets the pay the players get and no way to know if that pay is fair or not. And it's worse because the actual cost to provide the education to the students is very low.

Reactions: noble cane
But if they don't like the education then they lose the alleged "pay" they get (the tuition) so they're working for free. And worse, they still have to do the schooling. It's the worst of all worlds. It would be like you having to take 6 hours of semitrailer maintenance and longshoremanship every semester in order to get your accounting degree!

If players had viable options other than college then maybe it'd be ok but they don't. And if they had viable options, then we might say that the tuition is "fair" compensation since the market would set the pay (if tuition weren't enough, they'd work for the other employee that pays cash). But colleges have a monopoly, so there's no way to say the market sets the pay the players get and no way to know if that pay is fair or not. And it's worse because the actual cost to provide the education to the students is very low.

No one is making them go to school. Just because you don't like your job doesn't mean you deserve more of the profits from the company. Just because the only people hiring grave diggers is graveyards doesn't mean the graveyards should have to pay them any more than they want to.

The players are lucky in the fact that they not only get an education, they also get weekly exposure to prospective employers, and they get a 'fall back' plan. Not many college students get that deal.

No one is making them go to school. Just because you don't like your job doesn't mean you deserve more of the profits from the company. Just because the only people hiring grave diggers is graveyards doesn't mean the graveyards should have to pay them any more than they want to.

The players are lucky in the fact that they not only get an education, they also get weekly exposure to prospective employers, and they get a 'fall back' plan. Not many college students get that deal.

Interesting... But given the monopoly of the NCAA and their imposition of academic standards on eligibility aren't they restricting commerce in denying the non qualifying athletes the same opportunities?

The NCAA makes them go do school if they want to play, it's a completely arbitrary requirement for their "job" that has nothing to do with their "work".

If you're a truly exceptional gravedigger, you can go to a competing cemetery and negotiate higher wages, or different benefits like equity (or not having to do stuff you hate, like go to classes). Because the NCAA is a monopoly, players can't do that - they can't go to a different employer (school) and negotiate better wages or negotiate a waiver from the school requirement. Their pay and conditions of employment are set and fixed and worse, payment is provided in a non-liquid currency (tuition) unlike the gravedigger market. While you or I might think there's value to what they get, it's really not our place to impose our views of value on them - that's the entire concept of the free market, that people can and should be able to make those decisions themselves. IF they have a functioning market where they can negotiate freely. That's what's broken here.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
The NCAA makes them go do school if they want to play, it's a completely arbitrary requirement for their "job" that has nothing to do with their "work".

If you're a truly exceptional gravedigger, you can go to a competing cemetery and negotiate higher wages, or different benefits like equity (or not having to do stuff you hate, like go to classes). Because the NCAA is a monopoly, players can't do that - they can't go to a different employer (school) and negotiate better wages or negotiate a waiver from the school requirement. Their pay and conditions of employment are set and fixed and worse, payment is provided in a non-liquid currency (tuition) unlike the gravedigger market. While you or I might think there's value to what they get, it's really not our place to impose our views of value on them - that's the entire concept of the free market, that people can and should be able to make those decisions themselves. IF they have a functioning market where they can negotiate freely. That's what's broken here.

You do understand that the 'free market' is what has the players in the situation they're in, and you're asking the government to basically step in and say they can't. Honestly, I don't care that players can't 'negotiate'. They shouldn't be able to because it would compromise the system that's giving them the opportunity in the first place. If they want a better deal, do something different. Every occupation has barriers to entry. You have to go to school before you become an engineer. Sometimes you have to take classes that have nothing to do with what you'll do after college. Same thing applies with being a QB.

Just watch and see, the same payouts the NFL is making for concussions and other injuries will hit the NCAA and colleges too.

If you can't remember which of the 3 active threads on this board isn't interesting to you then I'm not sure it's the convo that's retarded.

This sort of snuck up on me:
http://www.underdogdynasty.com/amer...e-to-become-more-than-tulsas-all-time-leading

He'll essentially do this in 3 years and one of those was in a not very efficient offensive scheme. But let's continue to rail on him for not being very good...
Looking at the numbers, Dane could move into the top 25 of all-time passing yards. And that's saying a lot considering the majority of the guys on that list were 4 year starters in prolific air-raid offenses.

Looking at the numbers, Dane could move into the top 25 of all-time passing yards. And that's saying a lot considering the majority of the guys on that list were 4 year starters in prolific air-raid offenses.
He only needs about 2,000 yds to get into 1st at TU. He's going to obliterate the record barring injury. He's going to come close to a 5,000 yd season this year unless our O-line starts moving DL and we run the ball easily.

@Chris Harmon do you see the defense improving in the middle and the secondary?
In the back 7, the starting linebackers return and will add some quality youngsters, so I think it is safe to expect some improvement. The defensive backfield replaces some key players, so it's a little harder to predict, but TU has some very talented and speedy youngsters.

In the back 7, the starting linebackers return and will add some quality youngsters, so I think it is safe to expect some improvement. The defensive backfield replaces some key players, so it's a little harder to predict, but TU has some very talented and speedy youngsters.

I really liked what I saw out of Brady and Whitfield at FS & SS last season. I'm looking forward to Whitfield getting more PT as a starter. I still have the opinion that our team will only be as good as the DT's and the CB's though.

We have two large freshman DT on the way. They will need some seasoning before they begin to be major factors on the DL. Which of the upper classmen are stepping up on the DT?

Yeah can't wait for him to break TU's all-time passing record, and then read about how we need to bench him for President in the same game thread.

No doubt! I've never understood the criticism of him, especially since he literally had no coaching his first couple years. He was the quarterback equivalent of Tarzan, raised in the jungle by wolves. With the most predictable offense in mankind. How many 3rd and 9s did that poor guy have after two dives over guard? cant wait to see him this year with a year of real coaching under his belt.

One argument I never hear in regards to paying stipends is academic performance. Are there any minimum requirements or do they get paid as long as their academically eligible? IMO there should be a standard greater than what is required to remain eligible.

TX

No doubt! I've never understood the criticism of him, especially since he literally had no coaching his first couple years. He was the quarterback equivalent of Tarzan, raised in the jungle by wolves. With the most predictable offense in mankind. How many 3rd and 9s did that poor guy have after two dives over guard? cant wait to see him this year with a year of real coaching under his belt.
All time leader that's saying a lot about a QB at Tulsa. Remarkable given where he was at a skill level just 2 seasons ago.

All time leader that's saying a lot about a QB at Tulsa. Remarkable given where he was at a skill level just 2 seasons ago.
I don't think his skill level has dramatically changed. Maybe his ability to read a defense has grown some but the biggest change has been the quality of QB coaching and an offensive scheme that gives him a better chance to be successful.

Reactions: ShaneB72
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT