ADVERTISEMENT

T. U. post spring roster

okie51

I.T.S. Junior
Dec 4, 2003
Some nice weight gains for the RS freshmen. Several of the upper class also show improvement. Harding up to 235, Whitfield 212,Plagg 292,Shindelar 276 and Martin down to 232 which might help his foot speed. The size of the RS corners excite me. DT is still small for the American hoping Stevenson is ready to contribute as an incoming freshmen, nice to dream about.

I think they are wanting to use Shindelar as a move all over the place type of guy. Edge rusher on 1st 2 downs, and a DT that could drop on zone blitz situations like he did against Tulane. His size, speed, and arm length make him a beast.

@Chris Harmon is there a shift to 5'9 speedy running backs in the upcoming recruiting season. Next question, are we looking for incoming starters DTs this recruiting season.

@Chris Harmon is there a shift to 5'9 speedy running backs in the upcoming recruiting season. Next question, are we looking for incoming starters DTs this recruiting season.
TU is looking at a large number of RBs in 2017 right now, and they vary in size and ability...so hard to say they are keying in on small speedsters. As for 'starting DTs', TU is looking at some jucos...I'll have a short story on one soon.

I also have a spring roster analysis coming too.

Thats great Chris. There not many D1 size DTs in this year recruiting class. I seen some good running backs in Louisiana Oklahoma and Texas. We need backs who run with speed and power.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Thats great Chris. There not many D1 size DTs in this year recruiting class. I seen some good running backs in Louisiana Oklahoma and Texas. We need backs who run with speed and power.
Another Tarrion Adams would be nice...

On the radio Coach Monty said RS freshman cornerback Reggie Robinson has been clocked several times at 4.2 40. Coaches didn't believe it at first. He said the young guys are pushing the older guys in the D backfield. He also said Cannon RS freshman Lb is showing up can really move. Noticed he is up to 230#s from 210 as a true freshman. Mentioned true freshman Maney Bunch as being able to run with the upper class and has already improved his size up to 192# as I remember. He was listed at 181 when committed. Rowdy, coach said has made almost all the practices this spring and coach wishes he could suit him up now.

We have some attitudes in the secondary. A LB hungry for a starting position. I love it

OK, I'm confused on Harding. Is he going to play this year and what class is he in now?

Monty did not mention Harding, he did discuss Martin being banged up and that Wilson is getting a ton of reps said he has lots of talent. He did mention all of last years LB starters CJ Gooden and of course Cannon. It was quick but I think he said Michael Thomas also as a contributor. Guess we will see if Harding plays in the spring game, I had high hopes for Harding he is listed as a Junior on the roster. If the coach brings up your name in an interview in context to the team being better its a good thing IMO.

Last edited:
I had high hopes for Harding he is listed as a Junior on the roster. If the coach brings up your name in an interview in context to the team being better its a good thing IMO.

Me too, of all the good things I was hearing from Coach Monty there was only a couple 'non-mentions' that disappointed me, and that was one of them.

Reactions: okie51
Anxious to see what Javon Thomas can do! I like Warren, but we need more depth at RB.

I knew we had some players graduating and transferring but to have starters with eligibility not finishing is unbelievable. This recruiting season should be Outstanding.

Ron, seems like we always have one guy on the OL who packs it in with a year left. Since Jody Whaley quit, it doesnt surprise me much anymore.

I knew we had some players graduating and transferring but to have starters with eligibility not finishing is unbelievable.

Played the right way, the game takes an unbelievable toll on your body. I wasn't an OL, but through 4 years of college ball my body felt like I was 50 when my eligibility was up at 21. Would I have walked away with a year left? No. But was I glad I hadn't redshirted after 4 years? Absolutely. I don't fault anyone for deciding they have played enough football.

Played the right way, the game takes an unbelievable toll on your body. I wasn't an OL, but through 4 years of college ball my body felt like I was 50 when my eligibility was up at 21. Would I have walked away with a year left? No. But was I glad I hadn't redshirted after 4 years? Absolutely. I don't fault anyone for deciding they have played enough football.

I agree 100%. I wouldn't knock anyone for walking away. My cousin walked away from D2 after his freshman year b/c he was tired of getting his head kicked in.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
He didn't feel like he was going to get a shot in the league and decided to move on with his career. Nobody should fault him for that. Looking forward to a bright future for football players with a little saavy, is probably more prevalent at institutions like TU. No complaints that he put it to pluses and minuses, and decided to move into the career phase of his life.(minus his final year of eligibility) Seeing as how we have higher academic standards than the majority of Division I football, it probably happens a little more at TU, than state schools and such.

Pay?

Go to class and get your FREE college education.

Shut up and think for once.

You obviously don't consider that everybody else makes millions upon millions on these kids abilities and hard work. You must never have played football to even come close to knowing what the meat shredder sport of football puts their bodies through, not to mention the trauma it puts on their brain. You have no concept of where the majority of these kids come from, or the fact that they don't have the time to get a job to make up for their other expenses.

If u would think about something for more than 3 seconds before spouting off something ridiculous it would help u immensely.

For one time in my life I'm with aTUfan.

The players even at Tulsa have much much better college lives than I did in college as far as livability. They get free school, free food, free clothing, free housing, free tutoring, free books.

As a person not far out of school (and with tens of thousands in federal student loan debt that helped pay for TU) I would have happily played any sport the school wanted me to and attended practices etc... For all of my school being paid for. Players have a great gig... Especially when most of them wouldn't be in college due to academics if sports scholarships didn't exist.

Thank u for the other side of the argument, instead of a hollow aphorism. But I still believe a small stipend is not too much to ask for the abuse they put their bodies through, and the millions made off of their backs.

Thank u for the other side of the argument, instead of a hollow aphorism. But I still believe a small stipend is not too much to ask for the abuse they put their bodies through, and the millions made off of their backs.

I would say it should be need-based if it's provided. They should fill out the fafsa, and any difference between what they would be eligible for via loans, grants, work-study, etc... Could be provided. But, a lot of those players don't need the stipend. They'd use it on excesses, or beer, or pot. It's not fair to the rest of the students that are being gouged on tuition and can barely eat when players are riding scooters to class or listening to beats headphones.

U put forth some valid ideas. But they were probably never considered as part of the equation, due to the stipend's use as a political tool for the P5's to try and keep the rest of the non P5's from competing as easily. But I would like to have seen CTE studies on college players that never make the pros as a piece of those debates that will now never happen. I am sure we will start to see those studies sometime in the next decade.

I would say it should be need-based if it's provided. They should fill out the fafsa, and any difference between what they would be eligible for via loans, grants, work-study, etc... Could be provided. But, a lot of those players don't need the stipend. They'd use it on excesses, or beer, or pot. It's not fair to the rest of the students that are being gouged on tuition and can barely eat when players are riding scooters to class or listening to beats headphones.

Some people, athletes or not, will continue to spend any money they have on "excesses," and giving them more or less won't change that.

I'm not arguing for paying athletes as I'm not sure if that's the answer or not. But I will tell you that while you would gladly trade your tens of thousands in student debt for playing ball, I can give the other perspective. I'm in my mid 30s, and have never had student debt thanks to athletics. However, I have MAJOR memory issues to go along with chronic shoulder, knee and foot pain. And as someone who is married with 3 small children I also seriously worry about the uncertainty of what that will look like in the next ten to twenty years. Very difficult to put a definitive value on that.

While I believe football helped teach me lessons that couldn't be taught in a classroom, I'd be lying if I didn't at least acknowledge that I have some reservations about my two boys playing ball as they get older.

Some people, athletes or not, will continue to spend any money they have on "excesses," and giving them more or less won't change that.

I'm not arguing for paying athletes as I'm not sure if that's the answer or not. But I will tell you that while you would gladly trade your tens of thousands in student debt for playing ball, I can give the other perspective. I'm in my mid 30s, and have never had student debt thanks to athletics. However, I have MAJOR memory issues to go along with chronic shoulder, knee and foot pain. And as someone who is married with 3 small children I also seriously worry about the uncertainty of what that will look like in the next ten to twenty years. Very difficult to put a definitive value on that.

While I believe football helped teach me lessons that couldn't be taught in a classroom, I'd be lying if I didn't at least acknowledge that I have some reservations about my two boys playing ball as they get older.
I get what you're saying (I also think the CTE thing is a football problem more than a basketball one obviously) I don't mind putting money earned by institutions into funds that help former athletes deal with major injuries sustained while they played at schools; be that from the neck up or down. (Knees, feet, concussions, etc...)

It is a bit hard to assess though because some injuries are build ups that kids have had in different forms since they were in middle school. (Repeated torn muscles, broken bones etc...)

As far as how athletes use whatever funds you give them.... I don't think people like Johnny Manziel or Jordan Clarkson really needed the school bankrolling their party habits which is what about half of the program would turn into.

If an athlete can't afford the computer he needs for class... I'm all for giving him cost of attendance if he (and his family) fill out the Fafsa and are determined to be "in need". It would also allow the school to pay the athletes in non-revenue sports that go through similar hardships (practice, training, etc...) with fewer rewards... Simply because every football player wouldn't warrant a stipend.

They have always received "laundry money".

I have never been in favor of paying college athletes. But I will also never hold it against them if they decide to walk away and leave eligibility in the table once they have their degree in hand whether it takes 2,3,4 or 5 years. The large overwhelming majority of players in any sport will not be playing pro ball once they graduate. For that majority, athletics is simply a means to an end. If they achieve that end, good for them. I hate what the televised and media version of college athletics has become which is nothing more than a minor league feeder system. The Duke and Kentucky basketball programs, Alabama and Ohio State football. If the NCAA wants to combat that, impose scholarship penalties for kids who leave WITHOUT A DEGREE on the schools. Eliminate the one and done's in basketball and the minor league football development. Make John Calipari actually coach kids rather than sweet talk the NBA future stars by promising that they will never have to set foot in class because their eligibility won't matter at the end of season 1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT