ADVERTISEMENT

Student Athletes Closer To Getting Paid!

I'll support this only if they institute a salary, a salary cap, and a draft. If they obliterate any semblance of competitive balance any more I'll just start watching the NFL and the NBA.

How big can your roster be if you "Hire" walk-ons and scholarship the rest?

let's just get QT to start putting our athletes on TV commercials and paying them big money.

every car dealer in America just found new spokespeople.

Every athletic dept will have "athlete marketing departments" that are all about getting an athlete's likeness out into the commercial world. Recruited athletes will be paraded in front of these PR/marketing gurus on their visits and told that if they come to your university, your "team" will begin to build a brand that couldn't be built elsewhere, complete with clothing, Twitter/Facebook, commercials, and the works.

Where I see the biggest potential area of unfairness is in the non-major sports. For example, if you have an athlete in a non-revenue sport and an alumni that wants that sport at that college to excel, he or she can basically fund it with paid athletes, when no other university may be able to fund the athletes in their sports...think OSU wrestling or golf or OU gymnastics or softball. One wealthy alum can pay a lot for the "likeness" of a lot of minor sport athletes.

let's just get QT to start putting our athletes on TV commercials and paying them big money.

Every athletic dept will have "athlete marketing departments" that are all about getting an athlete's likeness out into the commercial world. Recruited athletes will be paraded in front of these PR/marketing gurus on their visits and told that if they come to your university, your "team" will begin to build a brand that couldn't be built elsewhere, complete with clothing, Twitter/Facebook, commercials, and the works.

Where I see the biggest potential area of unfairness is in the non-major sports. For example, if you have an athlete in a non-revenue sport and an alumni that wants that sport at that college to excel, he or she can basically fund it with paid athletes, when no other university may be able to fund the athletes in their sports...think OSU wrestling or golf or OU gymnastics or softball. One wealthy alum can pay a lot for the "likeness" of a lot of minor sport athletes.
That’s basically what this is. It’s a system for donors to pay the wages/stipends of non-revenue players. Baker Mayfield will make money on his own and doesn’t need or deserve OUs money. Bishop Louie can try to make that money locally. But the girls soccer team is gonna have the same wage demands. It lets the donors off set those costs by buying up the rights. Really bad idea but that’s the reasoning.

Rhett Bomar may have been able to stay at OU under these circumstances

Reactions: astonmartin708
yep...rhett bomar could have done what he did today and Calvin Simpson could have done what he did today.

we call that "advancement" of society. :right:

Reactions: HuffyCane
who pays? the school or the ncaa. only a handful of schools have the budget. are they planning to split D1 FBS into two divisions? paid and unpaid.

So the way I read it, the students will be able to make money themselves, but cannot mention the school or conference affiliation. It all has to be on their own personal recognition, which should be interesting, since it doesn’t cause any more money to be spent by the schools other than understanding and dealing with compliance for this.

yep...rhett bomar could have done what he did today and Calvin Simpson could have done what he did today.

we call that "advancement" of society. :right:
Bomar could have under what we think the new rule will encompass. Samspson's tweeting would no longer be an issue for him...however the assistant coach who paid Tiny Gallon and the PG from Ohio would have still created huge issues. I don't think the NCAA is going to lift the ban on coaches paying players.

So the way I read it, the students will be able to make money themselves, but cannot mention the school or conference affiliation. It all has to be on their own personal recognition, which should be interesting, since it doesn’t cause any more money to be spent by the schools other than understanding and dealing with compliance for this.
That would mean they couldn't wear a team jersey while doing a commercial, signing autographs, appearing in a print ad and supporters/boosters cannot mention the school. So at best Big Red Imports would have been able to say, come down and see us and get local college QB Rhett Bomar's autograph.

Interesting. Most places are more interested in being associated with the local team and want to mention OU, Alabama, etc. Will they back off if they're not going to see a significant boost? Also, if that is indeed the case, you can forget about an EA Sports/NCAA games returning.

How quickly do the local car dealerships looking to cash in on this pull the plug when they realize they have to reshoot a commercial 14 times because there's a team flag in the background and technically violates the rule or because someone slipped up and mentioned the school and noticed it after they wrapped the shoot.

I foresee headaches.

This might warrant it's own thread but we're also closer to the big conferences leaving the NCAA and forming their own association. The AAC is the wild card imo. Would they be invited to the big boy party or stuck with the JV?

This might warrant it's own thread but we're also closer to the big conferences leaving the NCAA and forming their own association. The AAC is the wild card imo. Would they be invited to the big boy party or stuck with the JV?
Stuck imo. The partakers don't want that pie sliced any thinner.

I don’t think that will be allowed.

No be allowed by whom?
I think he's talking about the courts. The congressmen, universities & alumni who would suffer if this were to happen, would stop it/bring forth lawsuits, etc. etc. At least that's what I'm assuming he's talking about.

Reactions: lawpoke87
I think he's talking about the courts. The congressmen, universities & alumni who would suffer if this were to happen, would stop it/bring forth lawsuits, etc. etc. At least that's what I'm assuming he's talking about.

Yes.

There has been talk about an immediate antitrust suit coming against the P5s and the networks if this were to happen. There's also talk about loss of nonprofit status.
I don't think this would be likely to happen. You already have a handful of states that are ommitted from NCAA FBS football. I don't see why creating another division would change how the courts saw this. You don't see NDSU, ND, SDSU, Montana, etc... having any favor from the courts.

I don't think this would be likely to happen. You already have a handful of states that are ommitted from NCAA FBS football. I don't see why creating another division would change how the courts saw this. You don't see NDSU, ND, SDSU, Montana, etc... having any favor from the courts.
B/c there are a 130+ FBS teams and slightly less than half of those are P5s. Add to that the smaller # of schools would then control about 90% of the money b/c of collusion amongst the P5 presidents and you have a pretty strong case of antitrust violations in place. And the only reason there are only 130+ FBS schools is because the P5s have made it nearly impossible for the FCS D1 schools to make the jump because of the level of $$$ commitment needed to compete and they control those purse strings as well.

I thought they did get paid. A 150k - 250k free education, free medical, free meals, free room and board, laundry money, free coaching,

B/c there are a 130+ FBS teams and slightly less than half of those are P5s. Add to that the smaller # of schools would then control about 90% of the money b/c of collusion amongst the P5 presidents and you have a pretty strong case of antitrust violations in place. And the only reason there are only 130+ FBS schools is because the P5s have made it nearly impossible for the FCS D1 schools to make the jump because of the level of $$$ commitment needed to compete and they control those purse strings as well.
The P5's would just argue that the P5's joining/creating their own league wouldn't preclude the smaller schools from creating something similar.... much like they argue with FCS.... much like the pro-sports leagues argue.

I thought they did get paid. A 150k - 250k free education, free medical, free meals, free room and board, laundry money, free coaching,
Which is pittance to what the schools, especially the P5s are making off of their football teams. The B1G is getting like $35M per school this year. SEC something slightly higher than that. Saban makes more $$$ than most NFL coaches. Yet right now an athlete can get the tuition room and board and all the snacks they can eat...plus like $2000-$3000 in stipends to bring it to what they call "the full cost of tuition". The amateur status part has long been gone and we know more and more of these kids are getting paid under the table. Schools are just better at hiding it than they were in the 80s and after SMU got snuffed out. This only means some kids will be able to sign some autographs and get paid for it. But it still sounds as though the schools and NCAA won't be throwing anything else at the kids for this. Kid can't sign a jersey and get paid for it. My guess is most schools will still avoid putting numbers of actual players on jerseys to avoid having to pay for NIL rights to the player directly.

Reactions: shon46
The P5's would just argue that the P5's joining/creating their own league wouldn't preclude the smaller schools from creating something similar.... much like they argue with FCS.... much like the pro-sports leagues argue.
But their collusion has already disrupted and created an unfair disadvantage in the marketplace

Which is pittance to what the schools, especially the P5s are making off of their football teams. The B1G is getting like $35M per school this year. SEC something slightly higher than that. Saban makes more $$$ than most NFL coaches. Yet right now an athlete can get the tuition room and board and all the snacks they can eat...plus like $2000-$3000 in stipends to bring it to what they call "the full cost of tuition". The amateur status part has long been gone and we know more and more of these kids are getting paid under the table. Schools are just better at hiding it than they were in the 80s and after SMU got snuffed out. This only means some kids will be able to sign some autographs and get paid for it. But it still sounds as though the schools and NCAA won't be throwing anything else at the kids for this. Kid can't sign a jersey and get paid for it. My guess is most schools will still avoid putting numbers of actual players on jerseys to avoid having to pay for NIL rights to the player directly.
This isn't just kids signing autographs. If you think this isn't going to have an effect on competitive balance you're nuts. It's ultimately going to end up hurting kids that play at G5 level schools that aren't able to compete with the big schools anymore and support starts to dwindle. In the end, the players that are going to be signing autographs for money tend to be the ones who are going to need the money least. It also creates a HUGE disparity between the living situations of the normal students and the top level athletes. The money should have been redistributed to make the schools better / more affordable... but instead the money was soaked up by the administrations.

I assume conferences are free to join the association of their choosing as long as it doesn’t discriminate against other conferences. The NCAA places certain mandates which must be met in order for a school to be D1. I could see the new association mandating certain requirements before an institution can join.

Reactions: astonmartin708
After being a huge college football and basketball fan for most of my 70 years I am one step closer to closing the door on division 1 sports. The transfer rules in addition to paying players beyond their generous scholarships and benefits is destroying all semblance of amateur competition. Too much money has ruined competitive balance and the spirit of intercollegiate sports.

ok then share and share alike. all monies earned go into an account from which all players get the same amount.

This makes me close to walking away as a fan.
The economic disparity between the Power 5 and the others will only grow.

In 5 years particularly after the Virus,Chapman will be a ghost town.

This makes me close to walking away as a fan.
The economic disparity between the Power 5 and the others will only grow.

In 5 years particularly after the Virus,Chapman will be a ghost town.
And now you know why people question deficit spending now to save it.

This isn't just kids signing autographs. If you think this isn't going to have an effect on competitive balance you're nuts. It's ultimately going to end up hurting kids that play at G5 level schools that aren't able to compete with the big schools anymore and support starts to dwindle. In the end, the players that are going to be signing autographs for money tend to be the ones who are going to need the money least. It also creates a HUGE disparity between the living situations of the normal students and the top level athletes. The money should have been redistributed to make the schools better / more affordable... but instead the money was soaked up by the administrations.
I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment and here is why. If you are an elite athlete under these new rules, why go to a school like Alabama and have to sit behind other elite guys for years when you could go to a place like Tulsa where you have the opportunity to play and build your brand and increase your net worth from day one. This should actually level the playing field to a large degree. Imagine there are four tiers of revenue that emerge from these new rules.

The first tier at the top of the pyramid of revenue are superstars like Zion or Kyler Murray that are Household names both on the national and in some cases international level. These types kids will be multi millionaires before they leave college.

The Second tier on the revenue pyramid are the kids that are good but not superstars like a Sam Ehlinger, Chubba Hubbard, or Jaylan Waddle who are national names but are not on the superstars level. These guys yearly earnings will be mid to upper six figures and have the potential to make in the lower millions during their career.

The third tier of revenue will be regional guys like Tre Brown, Trevis Gipson, and Reggie Robinson. These are guys who play at smaller schools/conferences or schools that don’t get as much media hype to include D2 and D3. Those types of players will ear over $35,000 and have the potential to earn low to mid six figures.

The fourth and lowest tier of revenue earnings are those players who make under $35,000 a year. This may be a local kid from BA, Union, Bixby who has an established name locally but will need to redshirt or a guy who is playing behind a tier three guy.

A kid could now either hire an outside firm or go with the university package deal. The firm and the university could still charge a nominal fee to manage the player. University Sports Marketing departments will need to split their efforts or expand to include a team focused on developing marketing/revenue plans for both the individual athlete as well as the overall program.

For the haters on here who have written that they think this is even more unfair, I ask you this question. Do you complain about the full scholarships the Rhodes Scholars receive? Do you complain at work that you don’t make the same salary as a coworker who brings in more revenue than you?

Many fans have been under the illusion for decades that student athletes are at the academic institutions to obtain a degree first and foremost and play sports as a secondary focus. This new rule finally sheds light on this misconception and shatters that illusion. I hope the doubters finally realize that many Universities are only interested in the revenue stream sports brings. College sports always has and always will be a business!

Reactions: HuffyCane
You are forgetting about the sixth column, which was the column of players the previous rule was designed to address.

In this column, you have the players, mostly transfers that are good enough to play for you, but there isn’t room on the roster. But you don’t want your competition hiring them and you don’t want a lower school improving their play by having access to this player. In this column, there are also under recognized talent out of HS but who excelled there, say Baker Mayfield, your All State player and proven winner from a big program without offers. In this column neither type of player is ever given an opportunity to compete, is listed as a walk-on, or maybe not even that, and is paid a small amount to not play but who never has the chance to develop his talents. But the money is just enough for a poor kid to forfeit his talents to continue in school since he gets no help from family. Not only did it rob the players of their potential back in the day, it hurt the smaller teams like Tulsa who couldn’t attract players that could compete with the larger schools. Teams like OU would have a dorm full of Texas All-State QBs and a few former starting QBs last season at regional powers like TCU, Tulsa, Memphis. All told they would/could be the starter at OU next year, but in reality they are just going to be paid a small amount to sit, so they don’t end up on the Texas roster and turn into Vince Young one to three years from now, or if you are OSU, you take a portion of your tv money and you pay these kids so the don’t go to TU and beat them in their annual Bank of Oklahoma sponsored OOC game and disturb the recruiting balance. The player may or may not get an actual education and will leave the school with no chance at the pro dream that have been forced fed since birth.

And if Tulsa only cared about the revenue stream from football, they would have dropped the program in the early 50’s when it started costing money.

If it does reveal that schools only care about revenue streams, then TU is in trouble because the larger schools with access to larger sums to cover overhead will quickly expand to absorb the revenue stream of small operations like Tulsa.

Stead spent a lot of time on this issue, and was even on an NCAA Commission. In my opinion, the Commission was charged with more than just studying the issue. They were charged with formulating a system where there are roster limits, transaction controls, and a salary cap for an NFL style league with 120 teams with multiple revenue streams they don’t control. No conclusions could be made. He supported players across sports being paid uniform amounts and limited profit sharing for publicity rights with certain categories of players. Costs TU could predict and budget for and compete, while also not tolerating a marketplace where Auburn is telling a booster to build a casino on Indian land for the sole purpose of laundering money to make cash payouts to player’s family members. Players who are never going to play at Auburn and can’t be allowed to play at Georgia Tech or Vanderbilt and embarrass Auburn for the recruiting miss. And that really did happen.

Last edited:
You're right. Someone within the athletic marketing depts. is going to start recruiting businesses to use players.

And let's not underestimate the amount of taxes these kids are now going to pay on this $.

.however the assistant coach who paid Tiny Gallon and the PG from Ohio would have still created huge issues. I don't think the NCAA is going to lift the ban on coaches paying players.

don't believe that was under Sampson

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT