ADVERTISEMENT

Student Athletes Closer To Getting Paid!

And let's not underestimate the amount of taxes these kids are now going to pay on this $.
I think their scholarships / financial aid should be taxed as well, since they're clearly using their notoriety as a student athlete to make money.

Reactions: TU Man
Will get destroyed for my opinion on this, but ive always been against college athletes getting paid. Being a former one myself. No one is making you play college sports. You have options. You know going into it you arent getting paid. You're going to be broke, you're going to be busy. If it's too difficult, drop it and either focus on your degree or join the workforce. As far as likeness is concerned I've not once played a college game and thought, hey that looks exactly like so and so. All the video game companies have to do is create different model faces, slap random numbers on them and call it good. How they havent realized that is ridiculous. Being a college athlete is a privilege, not a requirement.

if the NFL and NBA can get the NCAA to allow the shoe companies to pay kids in college, then they have a "minor league" system with zero cost to themselves - perfect for lining their own pockets even more.

Will get destroyed for my opinion on this, but ive always been against college athletes getting paid. Being a former one myself. No one is making you play college sports. You have options. You know going into it you arent getting paid. You're going to be broke, you're going to be busy. If it's too difficult, drop it and either focus on your degree or join the workforce. As far as likeness is concerned I've not once played a college game and thought, hey that looks exactly like so and so. All the video game companies have to do is create different model faces, slap random numbers on them and call it good. How they havent realized that is ridiculous. Being a college athlete is a privilege, not a requirement.
First off, thank you for sharing your opinion. We may not all agree but attacking someone personally for disagreeing with them is unacceptable!

For most college football players, playing college football is the end of the road but many forget that college football is a multi billion dollar industry. This industry is built entirely off of the blood, swear, tears, and hard work of college athletes. In my opinion, a degree was never enough compensation for my personal sacrifice. I believe football players are the equivalent of modern day gladiators. Sure gladiators ate well, women flocked to them, and their reward was freedom and fame but many were irreparably maimed or perished along the way to freedom.

Can the same also not be said for football players? My belief is that the goal in a modern day capitalistic society of obtaining a university degree is to obtain financial freedom. I ask you, should your fellow brother gladiators not be provided every opportunity offered under our capitalistic system to obtain the same financial freedom all westerners seek?

Let us never forget that this sacrifice for financial freedom for football players is manifested through the blood that pours from their bodies as the masses cheers and jeer at their expense. While I agree that Playing this great sport for some is a choice which many freely accept, i do not agree that football players should be denied every opportunity possible to profit from their sacrifice!

First off, thank you for sharing your opinion. We may not all agree but attacking someone personally for disagreeing with them is unacceptable!

For most college football players, playing college football is the end of the road but many forget that college football is a multi billion dollar industry. This industry is built entirely off of the blood, swear, tears, and hard work of college athletes. In my opinion, a degree was never enough compensation for my personal sacrifice. I believe football players are the equivalent of modern day gladiators. Sure gladiators ate well, women flocked to them, and their reward was freedom and fame but many were irreparably maimed or perished along the way to freedom.

Can the same also not be said for football players? My belief is that the goal in a modern day capitalistic society of obtaining a university degree is to obtain financial freedom. I ask you, should your fellow brother gladiators not be provided every opportunity offered under our capitalistic system to obtain the same financial freedom all westerners seek?

Let us never forget that this sacrifice for financial freedom for football players is manifested through the blood that pours from their bodies as the masses cheers and jeer at their expense. While I agree that Playing this great sport for some is a choice which many freely accept, i do not agree that football players should be denied every opportunity possible to profit from their sacrifice!
If the rules that are being put in place hurt competition to the point that it drives fan interest even further into the ground for programs like Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, etc... there won't even be avenues for players (who might not have been able to attend such nice universities on academics alone) to get a scholarship at all. The model that has been in use for decades promoted a system where players who never had a destiny for the pro leagues, benefited from the interest that the superstar players garnered... and the talent disparity was spread out among the various schools. Now, you're going to see consolidation of the talent at the top. If anything this move REALLY hurts the vast majority of the players and benefits a few dozen every season.

You might say that the amount of work you put into football wasn't worth the degree.... but where would a large number of our former players have been if Tulsa couldn't afford to subsidize athletics like it does? A lot of non-athletes would have KILLED to get a full ride to college, no matter how hard it meant they had to work. A lot of them are still trying to pay college debt off, years after graduating.

Part of the entire problem our nation has is that we glorify athletes while ignoring academics. I know that sounds weird to say on a sports board, but gladiators don't help us cure viruses, engineer better programs, or keep the economy going. Instead of complaining about not getting paid to play a game, why don't you complain about the quality of the (free) education you got and become an advocate for improving it. It would be much more beneficial to a larger number of people (especially athletes) if we improved the quality of education that was being provided and lessened the required athletic commitments of the players. We need to go back to "Student-Athletes" not just "Athletes"

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
If the rules that are being put in place hurt competition to the point that it drives fan interest even further into the ground for programs like Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, etc... there won't even be avenues for players (who might not have been able to attend such nice universities on academics alone) to get a scholarship at all. The model that has been in use for decades promoted a system where players who never had a destiny for the pro leagues, benefited from the interest that the superstar players garnered... and the talent disparity was spread out among the various schools. Now, you're going to see consolidation of the talent at the top. If anything this move REALLY hurts the vast majority of the players and benefits a few dozen every season.

You might say that the amount of work you put into football wasn't worth the degree.... but where would a large number of our former players have been if Tulsa couldn't afford to subsidize athletics like it does? A lot of non-athletes would have KILLED to get a full ride to college, no matter how hard it meant they had to work. A lot of them are still trying to pay college debt off, years after graduating.

Part of the entire problem our nation has is that we glorify athletes while ignoring academics. I know that sounds weird to say on a sports board, but gladiators don't help us cure viruses, engineer better programs, or keep the economy going. Instead of complaining about not getting paid to play a game, why don't you complain about the quality of the (free) education you got and become an advocate for improving it. It would be much more beneficial to a larger number of people (especially athletes) if we improved the quality of education that was being provided and lessened the required athletic commitments of the players. We need to go back to "Student-Athletes" not just "Athletes"
Fans are going to and will continue to pay to be entertained no matter what rules are in place for college football. Football players make up less than .05% of the total student population on campuses and in my humble opinion their focus should be on why they are there. To make the University a profit and or to entertain the masses while pursuing a degree.

Don’t forget, the treacherous journey a student athlete has to take to graduate builds immeasurable and unmatched character qualities that are highly coveted universally by almost every company in the world looking for managers to lead their organizations which you personally benefit financially from today!

While you may believe there is an unbalanced glorification of athletes, I see it as kids believe it’s in some cases easier and more profitable to pursue a career being an entertainer or artist than a being a scientist or doctor. While you choose to believe paying football players is bad for smaller programs, I believe there will be some smaller programs who will recognize and take advantage of the opportunity they have to level the playing field more than ever before. Only time will tell who was right and wrong!

In my opinion, everything has its place. When I’m healthy, I value entertainment to help maintain a healthy work life balance. When I’m sick, I value the health care workers because they are keeping me alive. Each has its equal and important place in my life depending on what’s going on with me at that point in time but none is valued above the other.

Fans are going to and will continue to pay to be entertained no matter what rules are in place for college football. Football players make up less than .05% of the total student population on campuses and in my humble opinion their focus should be on why they are there. To make the University a profit and or to entertain the masses while pursuing a degree.

Don’t forget, the treacherous journey a student athlete has to take to graduate builds immeasurable and unmatched character qualities that are highly coveted universally by almost every company in the world looking for managers to lead their organizations which you personally benefit financially from today!

While you may believe there is an unbalanced glorification of athletes, I see it as kids believe it’s in some cases easier and more profitable to pursue a career being an entertainer or artist than a being a scientist or doctor. While you choose to believe paying football players is bad for smaller programs, I believe there will be some smaller programs who will recognize and take advantage of the opportunity they have to level the playing field more than ever before. Only time will tell who was right and wrong!

In my opinion, everything has its place. When I’m healthy, I value entertainment to help maintain a healthy work life balance. When I’m sick, I value the health care workers because they are keeping me alive. Each has its equal and important place in my life depending on what’s going on with me at that point in time but none is valued above the other.
You seem to ignore the point Aston brought up. If the sport of college football consolidates to 60 or 70 teams, what of the college universities forced to a lesser division or out of existence. If this is due in part to pay for play, what of the 50+ programs that don't offer those same scholarships, or offer them without pay in a lesser division? It would defeat the purpose, and allow less opportunities.

Wrestlers are more gladiators than football players. Unless you’re just saying there are people making money off of one and not the other.

Hard for me to compare a wrestler who goes through more in a day or season or lifetime than a football player, and gets nothing but an MMA opportunity, versus one gets paid big bucks before being a pro.

why does the wrestler do it again? For their partial scholarship? Versus a full scholarship for a football player?

I don’t have an issue with someone hating being taken advantage of. Just don’t know what a fair answer is. It seems like the bidding wars are going to start for high school seniors, and that’s very different than someone being taken advantage of.

ready to see a plan and some guidelines for this.

You seem to ignore the point Aston brought up. If the sport of college football consolidates to 60 or 70 teams, what of the college universities forced to a lesser division or out of existence. If this is due in part to pay for play, what of the 50+ programs that don't offer those same scholarships, or offer them without pay in a lesser division? It would defeat the purpose, and allow less opportunities.
I don’t believe that reduction will occur due to the new rule changes however I do believe we will see a reduction in smaller football programs due to the second and third order effects of the Virus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT