ADVERTISEMENT

California Allowing College Athletes To Be Paid

Philosophically I have no problem with players being allowed to make money. On some level it seems wrong not to allow them to, considering what they're doing to their brains. But as a fan it will suck.

Reactions: TU_BLA
You're jumping around. To be fair that soccer player or softball player wouldn't likely be playing D1 ball but for the football and basketball players funding their sport. The money currently being made by those revenue sport players is being distributed to the players you mentioned.
Ok, then you move from tier 1A to tier 1B and start distributing the leftovers to the student body. But, you'd have to mandate that initial levels of funding couldn't be lowered (without athletic penalty) so as to prevent what has happened with state lotteries where the states used the cash for education only after cutting primary education funding.

Major League Baseball operates an extensive minor league farm system to develop players of high school and college age. I don't know what the cost to MLB is, but it has to be huge. I can't believe the NFL and NBA would do anything to jeopardize the current system in which the colleges in effect operate their farm systems, with no investment by the professional leagues. (The NBA does have its developmental teams but they appear to be showcases rather than places where players are actually taught the skills of the game.) Anything that causes cataclysmic changes in college sports would upset that system.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
Philosophically I have no problem with players being allowed to make money. On some level it seems wrong not to allow them to, considering what they're doing to their brains. But as a fan it will suck.
I think we are all on board with this assessment really. But if the NCAA allows this in this format, it's a weapon in recruiting. Alabama can take the 4* kid who was thinking about A&M or Auburn or Miss State and tell him, "We've got some local companies who advertise on a national level. You can sell yourself more at Alabama than those other places". Guarantee you CA lawmakers didn't think about that at all. It worries me because this will destroy TU athletics. We've been hanging on for all these years and finally get to a competitive conference which should give us an advantage, and I fear this will absolutely beat us down

Major League Baseball operates an extensive minor league farm system to develop players of high school and college age. I don't know what the cost to MLB is, but it has to be huge. I can't believe the NFL and NBA would do anything to jeopardize the current system in which the colleges in effect operate their farm systems, with no investment by the professional leagues. (The NBA does have its developmental teams but they appear to be showcases rather than places where players are actually taught the skills of the game.) Anything that causes cataclysmic changes in college sports would upset that system.
The NFL won't change what they're doing because it really works for that league. The NBA is doing away with the one and done in the next CBA and they should honestly install the same rule as MLB...if you get drafted and don't sign and go to college, then you're there a minimum of 3 years.

I heard this..

If the NCAA enforces the current rules and excludes the CA schools... they (the NCAA) would be accused of being an illegal monopoly.

I personally disagree... they could set up a CA division... or separate college athletics from this new semi-pro league.

A federal bill similar to that passed by California is going to be introduced in the next 6 months. Buckle up....this is happening.

In his weekly radio appearance on the Buzz, Gragg mentioned that Title IX implications would be a big concern of how this gets implemented. He was also concerned because it also opened up another door for nefarious boosters to cheat the system.

Gavin Newsome said CA's bill didn't have a start date until 2023 to allow the NCAA proper time to study it and put in a proper response as well as how it would be regulated. Anthony Gonzalez (former WR at Ohio St and current congressman from that state) is introducing a NIL in the House soon.

You may think this is fair to the individual players, but it is going to wreck the actual sports with regards to being "college" athletics.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
If this happens, then all money from their endorcements and the scholarship should be taxable
I don't think there's any question about that actually. Gragg and Poplin actually talked about that and how many of the student athletes probably aren't prepared that the NIL money would be taxable income. Plus they'd have to pay an agent or representative. How many of these athletes are going to declare bankruptcy before they leave college because of shifty agents that take advantage of this?

If this happens, then all money from their endorcements and the scholarship should be taxable
Endorsements yes, scholarships no. They don't have the ability to benefit in dollars from the scholarship until they graduate.

If we're going to pay them, I say just take the scholarships and let them pay their own way. The stars will get 100K a year plus, the no-name backups will get 25K. None of them even need to show up to class anymore. Just make them into minor league teams. Don't keep up a charade that they're affiliated with the school anymore.

Reactions: jesterondirt
I havent read much about it. Can one assume those that hire agents/sign likeness contracts will be labeled as walk-ons? Will the NCAA reduce scholarship numbers to keep roster sizes in check?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT