ADVERTISEMENT

Structuring future BB & FB Coaches Contracts

Tulsa Guy

I.T.S. Redshirt Freshman
Aug 11, 2018
Guz Malzahn received a $20 million buy out from Auburn. Texas bought out Tom Herman's contract for $15.4 million. Texas is also paying the buyout at Alabama for the new coach the Horns hired. South Carolina boought out Muschamp for $15 million. What is the lesson learned? Actually, there are two lessons learned.

One, Tulsa is never going to have a sufficient buyout in its head coaching contracts to deter a P5 school from hiring a Tulsa head coach. It appears to me that Tulsa might be putting a high buyout in the coach's contract to deter a P5 school....but that is just not going to be a deterrent with the P5 schools with all their millions of dollars.

Two, and this is the most important lesson, Tulsa should never put a buyout in a coaches contract so large that it would deter Tulsa from firing the coach when it is obvious the coach has/is failing.

A sort of example of this is Guz Malzahn's UCF contract for $2.3 million annually for five years.

UCF can buy out Malzahn each of the five years as follows:

2021: $7M
2022: $5M
2023: $3M
2024: $2M
2025: $500,000

None of us know what the buyout amount is in Haith's contract. It might be high enough to deter firing Haith this year. Who knows?

It takes a while to build a football team. But not so much in basketball. Based on an assumed $1.3M salary paid to Heath, perhaps the buyout could have been structured this way:

FIrst Year: $2.6M
Second Year: $1.3M
Third Year: Nothing

But include a buyout the coach has to pay if they take a position with another school maybe like this:

First Year $7M
Second Year: $7M
Third Year: $5M
Fourth Year: $4M

Tulsa and most all other G5 schools do not have the financial capability to compete with the P5 schools and will continually be losing coaches. So there is no reason to put a high buyout for a G5 school to fire their unsuccessful coach. Guarantee a new coach a few years to build the team, and put incentives in the new contract for the new coach to make more money. It appears to me that hiring a new coach that will be successful has a 50/50 success rate in the long run. So don't put large buyouts into coaches' contracts starting the 3rd year.

Like the idea, don’t think candidates would agree to the buyout amounts they would have to pay if hired elsewhere.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Like the idea, don’t think candidates would agree to the buyout amounts they would have to pay if hired elsewhere.
Exactly. The market dictates the prices. No coach is going to come to Tulsa unless the amount is easy to overcome if they do well. You can’t have it both ways. You can’t say you want to hire a young up and coming coach and then structure the buyout in such a way that they can’t continue to up and come back out the door in a year or two.

You have to incentivize coaches to come here. Money is tight so favorable contract terms are easier to add. Low buyouts, lengthy contracts, guaranteed money, no offset, etc.

Ok,then, change the buyout to make it more attractive to hire a new coach, maybe something like this:

First Year: $7M
Second Year $7M
Third Year: $4M
Fourth Year and following years: $2.5M

At least get away from the situation like Buzz Peterson and Danny Manning....one and done.

Tulsa will always be a desired spot for any up and coming coach, with TU's great tradition, top notch facilities, and an outstanding conference. The past Tulsa record, UNFORTUNATELY, has shown time and time again, if you are a good coach, P5 opportunities are going to open up for you.

Make the contract with a base salary of more than what they were previously paid and then add a bunch of incentives to reach $1M or $1.3M. The second largest bonus is making the NCAA tourney and the largest bonus for each NCAA win.

Haith has now had 7 years....but his buyout keeps TU from getting rid of him. That's got to stop in future TU Coaching contracts, both basketball and football. The buyout is not going to deter P5 schools or young and upcoming coaches from taking the TU job. How much money do P5 schools have?

Annual salaries:

John Calipari, Kentucky: $8.2M
Mike Krzyzewski, Duke: $7.3M
Mike Cronin, UCLA: $5.5M plus $2M signing bonus
Rick Barnes, Tennessee: $4.7M
Chris Beard, Texas Tech: $4.4M
Jay Wright, Villanova: $4.4
Tiom Izzo, Michigan State: $4.2M
Roy Williams, North Carolina: $4.1M
Chris Mack, Louisville $4.1M
Bill Self, Kansas: $4M
Bob Huggins, West Virgina: $4M
Buzz Williams, Texas A&M: $3.8M
Bruce Pearl, Auburn: $3.8M
Lon Kruger, Oklahoma: $3.3M
Mike Boynton, Oklahoma State: $1.7M
Eric Musselman, Arkansas: $2.5M

Last edited:
Exactly. The market dictates the prices. No coach is going to come to Tulsa unless the amount is easy to overcome if they do well. You can’t have it both ways. You can’t say you want to hire a young up and coming coach and then structure the buyout in such a way that they can’t continue to up and come back out the door in a year or two.

You have to incentivize coaches to come here. Money is tight so favorable contract terms are easier to add. Low buyouts, lengthy contracts, guaranteed money, no offset, etc.

That's got to stop! No more Buzz Petersons or Danny Mannings.

Since I am on a rant, let me add I would look first to a TU grad as a future basketball coach.

No thank you to the TU Grads unless they are inherently talented coaches. We saw what happened with BB.

Question for the board... are basketball coaching contracts laced with incentives like football coaching contracts are? “Make a bowl game = 20K, 10 win season = 50K” etc...

Why can’t we do that with a young coach where it really makes it worth their effort to perform, get to tourneys, win non-conference games, finish in the top 75 RPI etc..

My list of incentive goals:
1. Make the NCAA tournament round of 64.
2. Win 1 NCAA tourney game 10K. Win 2 NCAA games 50K. 3. 100K etc...
3. Finish the season ranked in AP or Coaches or NET top 25
4. Finish the season in the NET top 50
5. Finish with a +.500 OOC record against the season end NET tier 1 and 2.
6. Win a conference championship
7. Win a conference tournament championship
8. Win a 3 game early season tournament.
9. Drive a ___% increase in home attendance year over year.
10. Finish in the top 4 in conference recruiting per rivals or 247.
11. Make the NIT: 5K

Not only can those incentives be used as rewards, but missing them year after year will also justify the coach’s performance evaluation.

No thank you to the TU Grads unless they are inherently talented coaches. We saw what happened with BB.

Question for the board... are basketball coaching contracts laced with incentives like football coaching contracts are? “Make a bowl game = 20K, 10 win season = 50K” etc...

Why can’t we do that with a young coach where it really makes it worth their effort to perform, get to tourneys, win non-conference games, finish in the top 75 RPI etc..

10k is absolutely nothing for winning an NCAA tournament game. Should be at least 100k. Winning an NCAA tournament game is something we haven’t done in a long time

Reactions: TUMU
10k is absolutely nothing for winning an NCAA tournament game. Should be at least 100k. Winning an NCAA tournament game is something we haven’t done in a long time

And winning a play-in game, shouldn't be included in the bonus eligibility.
Never understood all the accolades given a few years ago, when we won a play-in game.

Those were just random
Those were just random numbers which could of course be adjusted. You also have to think that simply making the tournament is a significant incentive. That one would probably be the largest in the coach’s contract. Winning the game that you play there should be almost expected (at least in the earliest round)

100K is pretty significant though for just one game.

I’d also add an incentive for beating traditional rivals who finish the season over .600 (ORU, Memphis, Wichita, Houston, SMU) and one for having players drafted to the NBA.

Never understood all the accolades given a few years ago, when we won a play-in game.
When did we win a play in game ?

My mistake. Even worse, all the glory given for getting to the play-in game.
Even if we won the play in game, part of the responsibility goes to the NCAA for possibly including that in a bonus. It is set up to protect and nourish all the underperforming P5's in that some of the play in games are legit, and some are not. Our bid was not, even if we had won it. We were the exception to the rule. Most teams that get a play in game illegitimately are underperforming P5's. We obviously did not fit into that category. Normally a non P5 deserves a 'play in' game, and a P5 usually doesn't. As I said before, we were an completely unusual exception. Normal practices of the NCAA makes a play in bonus legit in most non P5 situations.

Not only can those incentives be used as rewards, but missing them year after year will also justify the coach’s performance evaluation.
So far, off the top of my head, Haith has accomplished just 2.5 of the goals I listed above (one conference ship, one tournament appearance though it was a full round of 64, one NIT appearance) we might have made the NIT last season. I’m not sure about what records he has posted against rivals per season or his record against Tier One and Two teams every season. If you’re encouraged to do as many of 11 or so goals every season for seven seasons and you’ve accomplished no more than 4 or 5, it’s probably time to part ways. 5/77 isn’t good enough.

There are also some basic qualifications that should just be expected not incentivized.

1. No public embarrassments to the university by the coach or staff.
2. No Excessive NCAA violations
3. Maintaining a certain student athlete APR
4. No excessive number of student athlete disciplinary (intra school or full on legal) issues.
5. Refrain from alienating fans. Year over year declines in attendance need to be researched and addressed on a 3-5 year basis.

If any of those goals aren’t met, then I think there should be a stated salary reduction depending on the severity of the transgressions.

Grads with college head coaching success: Mike Anderson? Not sure why we wouldn’t kick the tires on him.

Speaking of BB, there is another Blankenship who graduated from TU and is coaching college basketball. 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT