ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game!

quincy101

I.T.S. Position Coach
Nov 4, 2007
Here's my $0.02 worth: No running game to speak of. However, a kid named Elijah Lucas got most of the carries-ran hard but not very far. TK got a few carries...not much. As far as Taylor & Brooks-nada,zip, zilch, etc. Brooks might have had a couple of carries in the first series, not sure.. Otherwise, our starting RB's did not play. We may have found a couple guys who can catch it: Sam Crawford might become a star(K. Stokes just about is) & Malik Jackson has a ton of potential. I. Cooksey & Josh Stewart were a combined 2 for ten or so. At least I liked our wideouts blocking on the edge, Stewart was very good blocking. Malik Jackson had 2 or 3 nice catches as well as J.C. Santana & J. Breedlove. Don't think #8 played at all. We just might be OK at receiver.

All kind of combo's on the D front. Trevis Gipson was in our backfield a lot and others on the line did the job. I still say we're deep on the D-line,either that or our run game needs a bunch of work(see above for starters). As for the QB's...Zach Smith threw 2 TD's-he throws on more of a line than rainbow deep balls-good stuff. Boomer started the first drive & did OK with the dink, dunk & short run-although after 45 or so yards, had to punt.. In fact, none of the QB's led a sustained drive except for Smith's 2 bombs. Brin & Marquardt played several series each & IMO, did very well. After this, I would expect Smith to start-but either might give Boomer a run for back-up.

A bunch of walk-ons made some plays like above RB-Lucas, C.J. Larry at LB made some nice hits are what I remember. Treyvon Reeves worked Boomer for a P-6. Our d-backfield is very good & very deep. We've got experienced guys at least 2-deep back there. We know our starting LB's are the best in the AACK! & they didn't disappoint. Kicking game is solid with Bennett booming those 50 yarders- although still a little erratic...he should add a couple yards to his average this year. A new guy is kicking xtra points named Jacob Rainey(another walk-on) & looked solid. Romo never kicked off once-they placed the ball down to start a drive. That's all I remember-someone else fill in the blanks.

Sounds about like last year , afraid it is going to be another long year, way to go Gragg

I am not too worried about the RBs. Both Brooks and Taylor were in no-hit jerseys, so they really could not do much. I am more concerned about the OL with new players at multiple positions. There were not many holes for the RBs to hit. However, I thought they did a good job in pass protection. Play calling was very pass heavy, felt like about 70/30 pass. #8 Keenan Johnson was out injured. He was on the sideline with no pads.

Kinda seems like you were gonna say that no matter what. We might still suck but very little of that sounds like last year
If you want to get your hopes up, go ahead, I hope they make me eat crow, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

We were much more positive last year. This year it seems we are totally apathetic. I’m not saying that in a condescending manner, I feel quite apathetic this season. I’m sure come June or July I’ll be excited about football though.
Has the definite “let’s get this season over with and move in a different direction” feel that we had going into BB’s last year.

We were much more positive last year. This year it seems we are totally apathetic. I’m not saying that in a condescending manner, I feel quite apathetic this season. I’m sure come June or July I’ll be excited about football though.
Very fair take. We're all hopeful, but as the old saying goes:
"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times and your Travis Meyer...."

My $0.01 worth.
As everyone knows we are really good and have depth at LB'er. Corners are bigger and stronger than I ever remember us having. D-line should be good on 1st team and average on 2nd team. The only position I'm worried about is safety. Losing Whitfield left a big hole and I don't see the current starters filling it. There is some hope with the young guys that a couple of them step up and take playing time away from those who won't be named. Overall, we should be good enough on defense to give us a good chance to win. Maybe the best defense we've had in a decade.

Offensively, I like Smith at QB and honestly think Brin should be backing him up. Let Boomer and Marquardt compete for third. We are thin an RB but those we have are pretty good. I am worried about the Oline and WR's. Keenan Johnson has to stay healthy for us to have a chance. IMO, we're just not talented enough on the second string to make this offense work. Someone at WR, and probably 2 someones, are going to have to make a major leap forward this year and surprise us all with their talent or it could be a long year.
But as always, I wear blue and gold tinted glasses so at least am holding out some hope.

We have a chance to be a pretty decent team, but if we aren’t it will be that OL that holds us back. There’s time to improve but things are scary looking on the OL

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
I anticipate (or hope) our offense looks a lot different this fall than the last few years. For us to succeed Monty is going to have to put the ball in Smith’s hands and trust him to get it to our playmakers. We’re going to have to throw the ball to open up the run imo. The deep pass must be an option for no other reason than to keep the safeties out of run support. Our OLine will likes struggle at times. Smith has that talent to overcome a below average run game. Looking forward to a different looking scheme come September.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
I anticipate (or hope) our offense looks a lot different this fall than the last few years. For us to succeed Monty is going to have to put the ball in Smith’s hands and trust him to get it to our playmakers. We’re going to have to throw the ball to open up the run imo. The deep pass must be an option for no other reason than to keep the safeties out of run support. Our OLine will likes struggle at times. Smith has that talent to overcome a below average run game. Looking forward to a different looking scheme come September.
I agree for the most part, as that was the formula when Monty and crew were tearing it up a few short years ago. Where I'm not quite with you is on the run game being below average. I still believe that is a strength of this squad. Now I can see the O-Line creating issues, but improvements at QB should at least tip the balance a bit and open some things up to take a bit of pressure off the line. My two cents for what it's worth....

Reactions: shon46
I agree for the most part, as that was the formula when Monty and crew were tearing it up a few short years ago. Where I'm not quite with you is on the run game being below average. I still believe that is a strength of this squad. Now I can see the O-Line creating issues, but improvements at QB should at least tip the balance a bit and open some things up to take a bit of pressure off the line. My two cents for what it's worth....

I hope you’re right. I know it was a glorified scrimmage but I thought the O line looked below average on Saturday when it came to run blocking.

Reactions: HuffyCane
My $0.01 worth.
As everyone knows we are really good and have depth at LB'er. Corners are bigger and stronger than I ever remember us having. D-line should be good on 1st team and average on 2nd team. The only position I'm worried about is safety. Losing Whitfield left a big hole and I don't see the current starters filling it. There is some hope with the young guys that a couple of them step up and take playing time away from those who won't be named. Overall, we should be good enough on defense to give us a good chance to win. Maybe the best defense we've had in a decade.

Offensively, I like Smith at QB and honestly think Brin should be backing him up. Let Boomer and Marquardt compete for third. We are thin an RB but those we have are pretty good. I am worried about the Oline and WR's. Keenan Johnson has to stay healthy for us to have a chance. IMO, we're just not talented enough on the second string to make this offense work. Someone at WR, and probably 2 someones, are going to have to make a major leap forward this year and surprise us all with their talent or it could be a long year.
But as always, I wear blue and gold tinted glasses so at least am holding out some hope.
I agree although on the defensive side if you can get consistent pressure on the QB,(which unlike last year I’m very confident in our ability to do that), the Lack of experience or playmaking ability is greatly covered up. This is a much more physical team than I saw last year and this year we finally have a QB. Barring significant injuries on both sides of the ball, no reason we won’t win 8+ games next year. Defense will be special and it’s been a long time since I said that!

It’s strange to consider that just a few seasons ago we were talking about our O line having the potential to being the best in the conference and among the best in the nation, to one of the weakest areas now.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
It’s strange to consider that just a few seasons ago we were talking about our O line having the potential to being the best in the conference and among the best in the nation, to one of the weakest areas now.
And we had a defense that we genuinely worried might give up 50 points a game that’s now the strength of the team. It’s weird how it’s changed without a coaching change.

Reactions: astonmartin708
I don't think it will remain the weakest area.

That’s what happens when you have a group that are projected starters for several years out. Recruiting takes a hit because kids want to get on the field quick. Then you get to sell that positions are opening up with graduation and recruiting improves. We aren’t the blue bloods, so we’re not going to be able to recruit the depth.

I am one to be optimistic about the o-line. Looking back at last year our pass protection was lacking. The seniors we lost did have all kinds of experience under there belt and that was the positive. The run game lacked later in the year because it looked like Jr high where defenses put 8 within 3 yards of the ball. We talk a lot about poor QB play and turn overs and remember all of those qb strip sacks for 6. Yes the QB could have avoided some of those but he was running for his life very often. This O line coach has a unique ability to develop his guys and bring them along and the pass protection showed that on Saturday. The defense knew it would see a lot of pass but I believe there was only one sack recorded. Unlike the D line they do not get much game experience because they do not rotate in. I feel this group will be ready come game time just hoping we have some depth and can stay healthy.

Reactions: rusty-c and TU1NNJ
And we had a defense that we genuinely worried might give up 50 points a game that’s now the strength of the team. It’s weird how it’s changed without a coaching change.
There was a coaching change. Norwood left. That was the big coaching change.

Addition by subtraction,

Young was finally free to work his magic, and then Gillespie takes over for him.

There was a coaching change. Norwood left. That was the big coaching change.

Addition by subtraction,

Young was finally free to work his magic, and then Gillespie takes over for him.
So true.

But also true that we will find out in 2019 how much Gillespie had to do with last years success. It may be more than we were giving during Young’s swan song.

Reactions: TU Man
And that’s the trick, isn’t it? Monty trusting the QB. He’s only done that for the last six games of Dane’s career.

Smith had be better be special or this will be a real short season filled with trap and pop plays called from the sideline for no gain as we watch the coaching staff do everything they can to minimize the risk of a breakdown on the line from slow developing plays.

And we kept getting these great recruits like Rowdy Frederick who didn’t pan out for whatever reason.

Someone at WR, and probably 2 someones, are going to have to make a major leap forward this year and surprise us all with their talent or it
Keep your eye on Sam Crawford and Malik Jackson. The stats had Crawford with only 3 catches. Ridiculous. He had at least 3 short catches on the first dang drive & 3 or 4 more after that. Jackson laid out for a very nice catch along the sideline plus 2 or 3 more. Along with Johnson & Stokes, I'm feeling a lot better about our WR's, especially with a guy who can get it too them.

And we kept getting these great recruits like Rowdy Frederick who didn’t pan out for whatever reason.
Rowdy Frederick had an injury and was advised to end his football career. Something with his neck or head maybe?

I’d call it the biggest question mark now. Depth seems limited but a lot of young guys will get opportunities that we haven’t seen before.

I agree although on the defensive side if you can get consistent pressure on the QB,(which unlike last year I’m very confident in our ability to do that), the Lack of experience or playmaking ability is greatly covered up. This is a much more physical team than I saw last year and this year we finally have a QB. Barring significant injuries on both sides of the ball, no reason we won’t win 8+ games next year. Defense will be special and it’s been a long time since I said that!
I hope your right Shon....I will be happy with at least 6 or more wins .

Shon, I hope you are correct. I would like to see TU start having a winning record again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT