ADVERTISEMENT

Penalties and turnovers

chito_and_leon

I.T.S. Head Coach
Dec 5, 2003
I posted on the NIU game thread, one of our biggest problems is turnovers. We are #130 out of 130 for total turnovers (technically we're tied for 129...). 2 of our enemies' 3 TDs (outside WA and OU) were on short fields (our D has only given up 1 long TD drive), and we lost a TD of our own yesterday by fumbling inside the 10 so our margin of victory would be +21 over 2 games if we cut out the TOs. Yesterday would have been 29-7 without 2 of the TOs. That feels pretty different.

The TOs are mainly INTs (10 out of 12). I think this will get better and it'll help us on both sides of the ball. My sense is TOs are mainly discipline and experience, and the other discipline stat is penalties. Penalty yards per game, we're #36 out of 130, so this is not an undisciplined team. I think the INTs will improve with experience.

BTW, in the Monty reign of terror, we averaged 65 ypg of penalties, 22 more than the 43 ypg we average now.

I think the INTs will improve with experience.

BTW, in the Monty reign of terror, we averaged 65 ypg of penalties, 22 more than the 43 ypg we average now.
I think that’s where we are with this right now. The only qb we have on the roster with meaningful game snaps (at the beginning of this season) only played 2 series (very short series). I know it’s definitely been frustrating to see Cardell and Fuller play over the past few games, but a lot of the errors are purely experience related. It sucks to watch it unfold, but it will be valuable for these guys down the road (whether that be here or somewhere else).

I do think a less conservative offensive approach would be more ideal, but Cardell may just not be there, in regard to capabilities, just yet.

I hope we see Braxton on Thursday - that is the good Braxton we saw from the end of last season.

I think that’s where we are with this right now. The only qb we have on the roster with meaningful game snaps (at the beginning of this season) only played 2 series (very short series). I know it’s definitely been frustrating to see Cardell and Fuller play over the past few games, but a lot of the errors are purely experience related. It sucks to watch it unfold, but it will be valuable for these guys down the road (whether that be here or somewhere else).

I do think a less conservative offensive approach would be more ideal, but Cardell may just not be there, in regard to capabilities, just yet.

I hope we see Braxton on Thursday - that is the good Braxton we saw from the end of last season.
Cardell is getting valuable game experience , he will learn to throw intermediate and deep balls
in rhythm . Right now he's hesitant and waiting for the receiver to get open and not throwing
to a spot. It's obvious that Braxton must have a high ankle sprain and takes forever to heal .

We ought to cut our interceptions in half(at least) due to settling down to 1 or 2 QB's, & our QB's getting more experience, & us not playing OU or Wash, & us playing our better QB's. It would be nice to see a game with 0 or 1 interceptions against Temple. The least we've ever had in a game is 2. Temple is a good place to start, seeing as how they've only intercepted 1 pass in four games. Hopefully I won't jinx the game and they get 3 or more.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Cardell is getting valuable game experience , he will learn to throw intermediate and deep balls
in rhythm . Right now he's hesitant and waiting for the receiver to get open and not throwing
to a spot. It's obvious that Braxton must have a high ankle sprain and takes forever to heal .
If we do see him in the Temple game, and it is a high ankle sprain, he won't get much if any real practice before the game. I expect for that reason we'll probably see a pretty heavy mix of the two QBs until the FAU game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT