ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Football Battles

shon46

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Sep 16, 2008
UK
Who are you most interested in seeing battle it out in the spring? I personally cans wait to see President and Evans battle it out!

Every position on defense and offense should be a battle!
The defense battles definitely needs to be extremely competitive. Offense pulled their weight last year. It's time the defense started pulling theirs. It will be hard to find consistency with so many new faces.

Reactions: jerandlaur
Who are you most interested in seeing battle it out in the spring? I personally cans wait to see President and Evans battle it out!
Uhhhhh ... you do realize that Evans already has the QB battle wrapped up? I know you despise Evans but he finished the year in the top 10 (out of 127) in almost passing statistical category. Unfortunately, he was also sacked more than any other QB in the Country -- 40 times!!. So despite being hurried and running for his life the whole season, he managed to put together a top 10 passing year. I know, I know ... you will criticize his "decision making" and his "poor tackling", but it is apparent you don't realize just how good Evans has become. Is he the best ever at TU ... Not even close. But he has developed into a very good QB who with another year of coaching under PM and staff could be a great one.

Last edited:
Let's not forget about Will Hefley in the battle for 2nd string QB. This kid can fling it & the Prez hasn't proved yet that he can. Wouldn't surprise me to see Hefley become the back-up with CP being used in wildcat & other special situations. TU Football: 1st,last,always!

I think it's great we have more than one QB who is potentially capable of leading this team in the event of an injury. Many teams do not have that capability.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
From what I have heard rubley will be battling president for backup.

Evans is the QB now. President is the future.

GO TU!!!!

From what I saw Evans wasn't really the problem. The offensive line too often released defenders into the back field or just wasn't able to block them period.

Reactions: scotty0912
From what I saw Evans wasn't really the problem. The offensive line too often released defenders into the back field or just wasn't able to block them period.
No one is a "lock" in my opinion outside of our two RB positions. Despite starting for 3 years prior to my senior year, I competed in the spring and enjoyed being pushed to become a better player, leader, captain. I'm not saying I don't acknowledge Evans accomplishments. I'm saying oline is problematic, and to create points, the QB position will have to be more mobile. Let the best man win but let's not get emotional or think Evans is above competition!

He got more mobile in the last few games, especially the bowl game. I'm betting by game 3 or 4 Dane will be a pretty mobile QB. I don't think he will ever be Griffin or Johnny Man(ic)ziel, but I'm thinking the mobility will show improvement throughout most of the season. We don't need him to be Griffinesque, it's his position to lose.

He got more mobile in the last few games, especially the bowl game. I'm betting by game 3 or 4 Dane will be a pretty mobile QB. I don't think he will ever be Griffin or Johnny Man(ic)ziel, but I'm thinking the mobility will show improvement throughout most of the season. We don't need him to be Griffinesque, it's his position to lose.
I think that in itself is a storyline. When you look at the current QB's on Baylors roster who were recruited by Monty and see how athletic they are compared to Evans, it really is night and day. There are very few athletes walking on this planet as gifted as RG3. There is no comparison from point of view but Monty absolutely has a preference and has years of recruiting to prove he has a preference. Evans is a senior so that will work both for and against him. If we struggle due to turnovers and sacks, Evans will be replaced pretty quickly. If the Oline can find a way to protect Evans, it will be an 8 win season.

I think the biggest competition will be in the trenches on both sides.
Big room for improvement in both of those groups and there are some hungry young kids that could come in and make some noise.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
No one is a "lock" in my opinion outside of our two RB positions.

I'm not saying I don't acknowledge Evans accomplishments. I'm saying oline
is problematic, and to create points, the QB position will have to be more
mobile. Let the best man win but let's not get emotional or think Evans is
above competition!

Dane's mobility is unquestionably a problem...He has learned to buy time in
the pocket, and probably rolled out more later in the year to avoid the rush...
Our O-line let too many blitzers come in unabated, and also too often, our
RBs whiffed on their blocking assignments....3.8 sacks per game, or what
ever it figured out to be, are way too many......Granted!

Both Rubley and President offer much more mobility, and have the ability
to avoid the rush, and potentially turn a scramble into positive yards... Both,
however, are also light years behind Evans in the passing game(timing,
decision making, reading the defense, accuracy,.... you name the skill)....
They are so far behind Evans in that respect, that their wheels can't
possibly close the gap...

I can't imagine Giving up 4000+ passing yards, and how much that threat
enhances the running game, to gain even a lot of inexperienced mobility....

Above competition? NO......A lock to start at QB? Yes.......

Given a red shirt year, Skipper may end up strongly in the mix in 2017....
He seems to have a pretty complete skill set.....

Last edited:
Dane's mobility is unquestionably a problem...He has learned to buy time in
the pocket, and probably rolled out more later in the year to avoid the rush...
Our O-line let too many blitzers come in unabated, and also too often, our
RBs whiffed on their blocking assignments....3.8 sacks per game, or what
ever it figured out to be, are way too many......Granted!

Both Rubley and President both offer much more mobility, and have the
ability to avoid the rush, and potentially turn a scramble into positive yards...
Both, however, are also light years behind Evans in the passing game
(timing, decision making, reading the defense, accuracy,.... you name
the skill)....They are so far behind Evans in that respect, that their wheels
can't possibly close the gap...

I can't imagine Giving up 4000+ passing yards, and how much that threat
enhances the running game, to gain even a lot of inexperienced mobility....

Above competition? NO......A lock to start at QB? Yes.......
I don't think Dane's mobility is a problem necessarily...it doesn't allow you to do some things you'd like, but it didn't stop the offense from being effective. And I can't even attribute the sacks to blitzes...many of those came on individual breakdowns up front...we were just poor up front.

Baylor may have had a bunch of mobile quarterbacks, but it seemed most of them finished the year on the bench. Dane's health has been remarkable!

Reactions: scotty0912
I don't think Dane's mobility is a problem necessarily...it doesn't allow you to do some things you'd like, but it didn't stop the offense from being effective. And I can't even attribute the sacks to blitzes...many of those came on individual breakdowns up front...we were just poor up front.
The center and right guard both had an average year, hope the offensive line will be much better

The center and right guard both had an average year, hope the offensive line
will be much better

Would you like for your OL to be greener, younger, bigger, more talented????
Apparently we will be all of the above, and may have to play a few folks
before they are really ready to play....We could possibly apply those same
adjectives to the back seven on defense.....

However, the good news is that we will get better and better as the season
progresses....If Evans can survive the early onslaught, and the young defense
can stay relatively healthy, we should be an improved ball club over last
season....

Obvious keys to this coming season's success?? Keep Dane and his receivers
healthy!

Kelly Hines is reporting that Tavarreon Dickerson is not returning to TU, Tyler Wilson has left, and Chris Wallace who started 12 games last season graduates in May and has decided to not finish out his eligibility. Maybe Rowdy has a chance to play after all.

No one is a "lock" in my opinion outside of our two RB positions. Despite starting for 3 years prior to my senior year, I competed in the spring and enjoyed being pushed to become a better player, leader, captain. I'm not saying I don't acknowledge Evans accomplishments. I'm saying oline is problematic, and to create points, the QB position will have to be more mobile. Let the best man win but let's not get emotional or think Evans is above competition!

You have a point Evans could definitely be more mobile, that is his Achilles'.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT