ADVERTISEMENT

South Miami mayor talks about rising sea levels, steps being taken

STODDARD: [SIGH] I mean, I despair, quite frankly. You know, this is the largest threat that the planet has ever seen. I mean, you know, if we thought for instance that there was a Death Star posed over the Earth, and they said, "We're going to send a big tube down into your atmosphere and pump it full of carbon dioxide until we cook you guys out of there." Well, we would mobilize all of the forces we could as a civilization to fight back. "Oh no, you're not going to cook us out of here."
confused0024.r191677.gif

I mean, you know, it's like a Death Star totally came here and I'm going like 'wow, I'm like the mayor of South Miami, and well, you know, get that Death Star out of here.'[SIGH]

Is this a Sara Palin moment?

A mayor from a town of 2.3 sq miles and 11,000 people.

Does South Miami = Wasilla, Alaska ?

Let me know if a Senator from Florida comments.

GO TU!!!!

OMG we're all going to drown!!!!!!! Get out the lifeboats!

STODDARD: The scientists believe now that there's enough heat already stored in the oceans to melt the polar ice sufficiently to put probably 60, 70 feet of water over the planet. That takes out all of South Florida, we don't have any land that's above 25 feet above sea level. So in the long run, we're all gone, and then the question is how long are you talking here?

CURWOOD: Yeah, how long are you talking here?

STODDARD: I think we'll be looking into -- in about maybe 100, 200 years before we start seeing total inundation on that scale

He's predicting sea levels to rise by 60 to 70 feet in the next 100 years which would put basically all areas of the state south of Orlando underwater not to mention New York City, LA, San Diego, San Francisco, Boston, Houston, etc....

Originally posted by lawpoke87:

STODDARD: The scientists believe now that there's enough heat already stored in the oceans to melt the polar ice sufficiently to put probably 60, 70 feet of water over the planet. That takes out all of South Florida, we don't have any land that's above 25 feet above sea level. So in the long run, we're all gone, and then the question is how long are you talking here?

CURWOOD: Yeah, how long are you talking here?

STODDARD: I think we'll be looking into -- in about maybe 100, 200 years before we start seeing total inundation on that scale

He's predicting sea levels to rise by 60 to 70 feet in the next 100 years which would put basically all areas of the state south of Orlando underwater not to mention New York City, LA, San Diego, San Francisco, Boston, Houston, etc....
Like I said no matter what side you are on in the climate change debate consider the source this guy is the Mayor of an insignificant 2.3 sq mile city of 11,000.

Would you take Mayor of Glenpool's word on climate change?

Stupid.

No matter who is correct on climate change these kind of articles/interviews hurt the exchange of ideas on the subject IMHO.

GO TU!!!

East,

Thanks for posting. I thought this link in your article was also helpful.

I have a number of friends who may be affected by this in their lifetimes.

Climate impacts

Why isn't the sea level rise equal throughout the US?

When you fill a bathtub.. doesn't the water rise equally once the basin is filled?
NationalSLR-large.jpg

The article WATU2 referenced at least has more gravitas than the article about the mayor. Note the quote:

"For example, coastal Louisiana has seen its relative sea level rise by eight inches or more in the last 50 years, [2] which is slightly faster than twice the global rate. Subsiding land in the Chesapeake Bay area is also projected to worsen the effects of relative sea level rise, increasing the risk of flooding in cities, inhabited islands, and tidal wetlands."

Eight inches in 50 years being double the average rate means that the average has been 4 inches. It's a long way from four inches to 60 feet.

This post was edited on 7/22 3:35 PM by TUMe

I believe it has to do with which areas have land thats subsiding (ie...sinking). It appears they are taking into account areas with subsiding land in the caculations regarding rising sea levels per a particular local. Where the net effect would be that the ocean level is say 8" higher along a subsiding body of land the actual sea level may have only risen 4" give or take.

To those smarter than myself....is this correct?

Originally posted by noble cane:
Why isn't the sea level rise equal throughout the US?

When you fill a bathtub.. doesn't the water rise equally once the basin is filled?
ec
I believe that they are saying that different tectonic plates are moving in different directions relative to each other. But that has nothing to do with Global Warming/ocean temperature. That has to do with plates floating on magma over each other. Once again we see that there are many factors effecting sea to land levels.

Subsidence of tectonic plates will continue at an extremely slow pace without regard to climate. It may be added or subtracted in some areas but it will not contribute any rapid component to local water level rises.
This post was edited on 7/22 4:28 PM by TUMe

Have noticed some conservatives have come out recently and shown their rational and scientific thought bonafides concerning our warming earth, especially four EPA chiefs under Republican presidents Nixon, Reagan, and both Bush presidents. Even Henry Paulson, former Treasury secretary under W, recently gave a speech where he advocated a conservative approach to the warming of our earth, by advocating private markets to use risk management strategies in an insurance approach. Paulson also strongly advocated that the federal government immediately phase out subsidies for carbon-based energy, allowing renewables to compete on a level playing surface for once.

The US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) published its assessment of sea level rise in 2012 as part of the National Climate Assessment. Including estimates based on limited and maximum melt of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets, it anticipated a ocean rise of two foot by 2050 (36 years bandidios), three foot by 2075, and 4.1-6.6 by 2100. Well, a two foot rise is going to make barrier islands unlivable, and flood the world's delta regions, where hundreds of millions now live, and create havoc in low lying areas like SE Florida, where it will become increasingly difficult to provide infrastructure services going forward, let alone the increased degradation of coastal areas due to hurricanes and intense storms.

The flooding of Florida will begin in earnest within the next 25 years. Peter Harlem, Florida International

This post was edited on 7/22 5:49 PM by eastcane

Originally posted by eastcane:

The US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) published its assessment of sea level rise in 2012 as part of the National Climate Assessment. Including estimates based on limited and maximum melt of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets, it anticipated a ocean rise of two foot by 2050 (36 years bandidios), three foot by 2075, and 4.1-6.6 by 2100. Well, a two foot rise is going to make barrier islands unlivable, and flood the world's delta regions, where hundreds of millions now live, and create havoc in low lying areas like SE Florida, where it will become increasingly difficult to provide infrastructure services going forward, let alone the increased degradation of coastal areas due to hurricanes and intense storms.

The flooding of Florida will begin in earnest within the next 25 years. Peter Harlem, Florida International

This post was edited on 7/22 5:49 PM by eastcane
But here we go again with the projections. Its a bogus argument because noone can accurately predict the future. Its science fiction and the above map is just a Hollywood special effect. Back in the 70's most predictions were of a new ice age by now.

The lie has become ridiculous. The lieberals will go to any extreme to prove the stupid as somehow smart. And the appeal is always to those who simply won't question them and their "vision".

This post was edited on 7/23 11:52 AM by rabidTU

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT