ADVERTISEMENT

SMU TO THE ACC STARTING 2024-25

Reactions: TU_BLA
Meh. The conference got worse when UCF, UC and "University" of Houston left. The conference is not worse without SLP. They're a filler program for the AAC.

It must feel good knowing they're with a bunch of schools who only took them because they got paid to.

Reactions: URedskin54
I'm truly dumbfounded by this. I know SMU doesn't care to be associated with other members of the American, but the math is crazy... If the story is correct Slutty Little Pony is going to give it up for free for nine years. Between additional travel and no media rights payments it's likely going to require their boosters to outlay $100 mil to keep them at the same level of funding they currently are at. To pretend to belong in the ACC they're likely going to need to double that.

I'm truly dumbfounded by this. I know SMU doesn't care to be associated with other members of the American, but the math is crazy... If the story is correct Slutty Little Pony is going to give it up for free for nine years. Between additional travel and no media rights payments it's likely going to require their boosters to outlay $100 mil to keep them at the same level of funding they currently are at. To pretend to belong in the ACC they're likely going to need to double that.
seven years

Apparently the non TV revenue distributions are more than trivial so they will come out ok compared to their take in the American.

That said I wonder if they can be competitive versus so many schools with 3x revenue or more.

That said I wonder if they can be competitive versus so many schools with 3x revenue or more.
And they've barely been competitive in the AAC receiving the same money as everyone else. Nobody can do less with more than SLP.

This is almost a desperation move, but SMU has been unable to handle TCU’s success in the Big XII.

I don’t view this as devastating news for TU. Devastating news would’ve been Stanford & Cal leading a PAC rebuild that would’ve poached the perceived top athletic programs in the MWC & the AAC, with Tulsa not being included.

I think there will be a pause in conference movement. This gives Tulsa a chance to improve football and basketball from this current generational valley of performance we have been in. We don’t know how long this pause will last. We know conference realignment is only paused, it isn’t over. We must have a sense of urgency to improve as soon as possible.

So... this means the 14,000 people that go to SMU home games to watch 'em play Tulsa and Tulane will now be able to watch 'em play Duke and Wake Forest. Right? But, instead of resceiving $7M a year in media rights, they will instead get $0. Right?

Oh, I get it now....

The tops dogs in the AAC are gone in less than 2 years. Big 10 and SEC will expand to include NC, Clemson, FSU and at least 1 or 2 others.

So... this means the 14,000 people that go to SMU home games to watch 'em play Tulsa and Tulane will now be able to watch 'em play Duke and Wake Forest. Right? But, instead of resceiving $7M a year in media rights, they will instead get $0. Right?

Oh, I get it now....

The tops dogs in the AAC are gone in less than 2 years. Big 10 and SEC will expand to include NC, Clemson, FSU and at least 1 or 2 others.
Not exactly. SMU conference schedule will be significantly more attractive in the ACC. They will sell more tickets and suites and at a higher price point. I would also anticipate their total conference revenue share will be higher (maybe significantly) in the ACC than the AAC. No clue how long those dissenters stay in the conference but I believe it will be substantially longer than two years.

Not exactly. SMU conference schedule will be significantly more attractive in the ACC. They will sell more tickets and suites and at a higher price point. I would also anticipate their total conference revenue share will be higher (maybe significantly) in the ACC than the AAC. No clue how long those dissenters stay in the conference but I believe it will be substantially longer than two years.
Let's see how this plays out for them....

Something tells me that they bought on the HIGH side! ;-)

I think this is overrated. FSU and Clemson and maybe Miami are legit second tier programs that draw some casual fans, they're not Alabama or Michigan or USC but there is some draw for hardcore football nerds. Otherwise, nobody in the ACC is interesting for casual fans. You'll get the N. Carolina and Virginia etc. grads living in Dallas, which will be some increase, but not many people other than alums are drawn by their cache, much less BC, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, GaTech, Cal, etc.

They probably sell more suites but not bc of the quality of opponents but bc Dallas socialites like nothing more than showing off bling, and having SMU tix will be more bling than now. But most suites will sit empty or be given to the receptionist at the office and her boyfriend, who will go for the free hotdogs and beer not the game.

I'm envisioning an excited 8 year old in Dallas when he opens his Xmas card and gets tix to Syracuse at SMU. "Daddy, we really get to see the school where Jim Brown played in the 50s?!"

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TU 1978
Let's see how this plays out for them....

Something tells me that they bought on the HIGH side! ;-)
It feels like a McKinsey "solution" for the ACC. their problem is they're a bad football conference. So they add 3 teams that collectively are 179 - 180 in the last 10 years. Problem fixed!

300px-Gnomes_plan.jpg

I just saw that it was nine and not the seven I was told. My bad.

I don't get this comment, "Per Thamel, the annual Army-Navy game would potentially be played as a non-conference game in order to preserve its traditional designation as the FBS’s final regular season game."

I would hope Army would receive the same revenue share and scheduling concession as Navy, playing in Texas each year. If divisions are resurrected then Army would also be in the West division.

Why can't this be played as a conference game keeping the same date? The Conference championship game is the week before, if one of them qualifies for that game then they play the Army-Navy game the following week. If they both qualify for the conference championship game then it's held on the date of the Army-Navy game, played at the predetermined neutral site.

Playing a non-conference game with 2 members is simply strange. However, if not doing that is a deal breaker for Army then I suppose you do it. IMO, Army would be an upgrade over SMU in terms of branding and media rights. I believe North Texas has a much larger following in the Dallas metro area compared to SMU.

TX

Not sure I get the army love. They play one game a year which draws eyeballs and we already have a conference team in that game. They add nothing in any other sport.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Let's see which Texas teams have a bigger share of the Dallas market then SMU.... all of them except Houston and UTEP! Even LAMAR might give smu a run for their money in the Dallas market!

LOL, it was five, then five to seven, then seven, then seven to nine, then nine. It's classic keystone cops negotiating,
"I'll give you 10"
"100"
"30"
"110"
"80"
"120"
"Fine, 120".
For a hamburger today I will gladly repay you on Tuesday.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
I don't get this comment, "Per Thamel, the annual Army-Navy game would potentially be played as a non-conference game in order to preserve its traditional designation as the FBS’s final regular season game."

I would hope Army would receive the same revenue share and scheduling concession as Navy, playing in Texas each year. If divisions are resurrected then Army would also be in the West division.

Why can't this be played as a conference game keeping the same date? The Conference championship game is the week before, if one of them qualifies for that game then they play the Army-Navy game the following week. If they both qualify for the conference championship game then it's held on the date of the Army-Navy game, played at the predetermined neutral site.

Playing a non-conference game with 2 members is simply strange. However, if not doing that is a deal breaker for Army then I suppose you do it. IMO, Army would be an upgrade over SMU in terms of branding and media rights. I believe North Texas has a much larger following in the Dallas metro area compared to SMU.

TX
They like being the only game on tv.

Maybe we did and it didn't work out? Aresco doesn't exactly have a history of big wins for the conference...
Aresco is weak sauce... He couldn't rouse a campfire sing-a-long let alone conference expansion. He just goes from press conference to press conference touting "we have a strong partner in ESPN and a solid regional footprint poised for growth"...

I say we stay put. Let’s face it… we don’t have a fan base, the University just kind of cares about football. We need to accept that. While all the schools were hiring coaches and making all the right moves to get a better offer we were hanging onto bad coaches.

I say we stay put. Let’s face it… we don’t have a fan base, the University just kind of cares about football. We need to accept that. While all the schools were hiring coaches and making all the right moves to get a better offer we were hanging onto bad coaches.
If you’ve paid any attention lately, you know none of what you said is true outside of hanging on to bad coaches too long.

Smells like some rando fan from another school trolling.

Don't include Janet administration policies in your accounting of TU. That was TU's darkest days.

for whatever reason I can’t log onto HURRICANE_WATCH account so I had to make this one but honestly. Can you say we’ve been making all the right moves in the last 5 years? No. We held onto both our basketball and football coach nightmares way too dang long and that’s been our MO since Dave Rader. Literally kills every bit of excitement when you give coaches these long contracts and allow year after year of bad coaching.

Since some are trying to convince me that the new crew cares. Where’s the indoor practice facility we’ve heard about since TG?

So you made an account just to come here and bring up things we’ve discussed, in depth, many times?

Still smells funny. Trolls are always the ones with a post count of 1 or 2 who come and try to pretend to be fans while taking shots about as many things as possible.

Reactions: drboobay
for whatever reason I can’t log onto HURRICANE_WATCH account so I had to make this one but honestly. Can you say we’ve been making all the right moves in the last 5 years? No. We held onto both our basketball and football coach nightmares way too dang long and that’s been our MO since Dave Rader. Literally kills every bit of excitement when you give coaches these long contracts and allow year after year of bad coaching.

Since some are trying to convince me that the new crew cares. Where’s the indoor practice facility we’ve heard about since TG?
This post is SO 2021.

If you’ve paid any attention lately, you know none of what you said is true outside of hanging on to bad coaches too long.

Smells like some rando fan from another school trolling.
I've been watching TU football for over 40 years and Hurricane-watch is correct. The fan base is not what is necessary for a successful program, the school has actively tried to kill athletics multiple times, and Dr. Donaldson was the WORST hire in school history which has led to the structural issues the university has today.

But go ahead and call this original AZ board member and former student a troll...

I've been watching TU football for over 40 years and Hurricane-watch is correct. The fan base is not what is necessary for a successful program, the school has actively tried to kill athletics multiple times, and Dr. Donaldson was the WORST hire in school history which has led to the structural issues the university has today.

But go ahead and call this original AZ board member and former student a troll...
if the shoe fits?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT