ADVERTISEMENT

SMU TO THE ACC STARTING 2024-25

Leon Russell had concerts at Oiler Park before it collapsed.

leonrussell-oilerpark.jpg
When he had Shelter Records here I guess.

I think I got a free album on Shelter during a baseball game when I was 8 or 9.

The Board delegates the management and promotion of university athletics to the President.

What you see and hear from Carson has the value added of his natural skill as a communicator and native Tulsan. But make no mistake, the messages he conveys are wholly the policies and parameters set by the officers and Board, to whom he reports. Including what you refer to as the “tone” around athletics.
I have a lot of trouble seeing Brad as the Board's errand boy. I suspect that Brad would not have taken the job without assurances about his ability to set policy and direction. Any decent CEO would require that and I would be surprised if Brad didn't also, especially since I doubt he was desperate for work. I imagine Brad knew the direction and goals before taking the job, or was actively involved in setting them as a condition to taking the job.

I have a lot of trouble seeing Brad as the Board's errand boy. I suspect that Brad would not have taken the job without assurances about his ability to set policy and direction. Any decent CEO would require that and I would be surprised if Brad didn't also, especially since I doubt he was desperate for work. I imagine Brad knew the direction and goals before taking the job, or was actively involved in setting them as a condition to taking the job.
In the ideal setting in higher ed, the president and board actually work together. And the politics surrounding that relationship can be high stress on both sides depending on the nature of the relationship. I only know of the one between Lawless and the board when he was president. They seemed to have a nice working relationship. I think Upham had a good friend on the board when he was hired (maybe Collins?, maybe Mike Case, I don't know for sure) because he seemed to have a lot more freedom to do things and not necessarily tied to the board's whims. And I think Donaldson ran an end around and pissed the board, faculty, and students off. And I think Clancy and Levit were hired to be yes people for a couple of the power brokers on the board.

Reactions: HuffyCane
In the ideal setting in higher ed, the president and board actually work together. And the politics surrounding that relationship can be high stress on both sides depending on the nature of the relationship. I only know of the one between Lawless and the board when he was president. They seemed to have a nice working relationship. I think Upham had a good friend on the board when he was hired (maybe Collins?, maybe Mike Case, I don't know for sure) because he seemed to have a lot more freedom to do things and not necessarily tied to the board's whims. And I think Donaldson ran an end around and pissed the board, faculty, and students off. And I think Clancy and Levit were hired to be yes people for a couple of the power brokers on the board.
This is correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT