ADVERTISEMENT

SMU did not get the P5 bid

This game being set up as a blow out, and the FSU snub is all done to sell the NEXT playoff system which gets the P5 out completely. Watch...

Liberty will put points up on Oregon. Not enough points but enough to look respectable.

How flipping sad is this. Out of 14 teams only 6 are bowl eligible. Sun Belt has 12 of 14 bowl eligible. Even mountain west has 7 eligible. Sad really. American is not that good

Dec. 19
Scooters coffee Frisco Bowl
UTSA vs Marshall

Dec. 21
Roofclaim.com Boca Ratón Bowl
South Florida vs Syracuse

Dec. 26
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl
Texas State vs Rice

Dec. 27
Military Bowl Presented by GoBowling.com
Virginia Tech vs Tulane

Dec. 28
Wasabi Fenway Bowl
SMU vs Boston College

Dec. 29
Autozone Liberty Bowl
Memphis vs Iowa State

Honorable mention

Dec. 23
Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl
James Madison vs Air Force

Last edited:
Two undefeated teams in league = lots of losses for other conference teams. Both the MWC and Sunbelt were better than the American this season :(. Losing SMU doesn’t help future strength either.

Reactions: loca2874
This game being set up as a blow out, and the FSU snub is all done to sell the NEXT playoff system which gets the P5 out completely. Watch...
32 team playoff. Include every fbs conference chanpion. then let the popularity contest begin.

Reactions: TU_BLA
32 team playoff. Include every fbs conference chanpion. then let the popularity contest begin.
Too large. Takes away from the mystery of the bowl games. The lower bowls are there as an added incentive to become a champion for that season. Lump them into games they will not win and it might as well be NIL part 2. Also the players who draw the money (power 5 conferences) won’t allow it as that will now bring the season to a 17 game season. Also if they allow 32 teams in it’s pretty much going to be filled with the power 5 conferences with a couple group of 5 teams. Why even play at that point?

How flipping sad is this. Out of 14 teams only 6 are bowl eligible. Sun Belt has 12 of 14 bowl eligible. Even mountain west has 7 eligible. Sad really. American is not that good

Dec. 19
Scooters coffee Frisco Bowl
UTSA vs Marshall

Dec. 21
Roofclaim.com Boca Ratón Bowl
South Florida vs Syracuse

Dec. 26
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl
Texas State vs Rice

Dec. 27
Military Bowl Presented by GoBowling.com
Virginia Tech vs Tulane

Dec. 28
Wasabi Fenway Bowl
SMU vs Boston College

Dec. 29
Autozone Liberty Bowl
Memphis vs Iowa State

Honorable mention

Dec. 23
Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl
James Madison vs Air Force
Are all the bowls filled?

Because the Army(future) Navy(present) game will make whoever wins bowl eligible.

We can claim 7ish then.

Reactions: el duran
Are all the bowls filled?

Because the Army(future) Navy(present) game will make whoever wins bowl eligible.

We can claim 7ish then.

The Army-Navy Game doesn't count towards bowl eligibility because the​

game is played the week after Conference Championship Weekend and the bowl selections are finalized on the Sunday of Conference Championship Weekend. If Army or Navy wants to be bowl eligible, then both teams MUST have 6 wins going into the game. Both schools knew the price when they decided to move the game to its current weekend.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Looks like they will join this list of teams that didn't get a bowl invite. They need two more bowls. 😁
  • Southern Miss — 6-5
  • Miami (OH) — 6-6
  • Wyoming — 6-6
  • Louisiana-Monroe — 6-6
  • Navy/Army - 6-6
I saw an article yesterday which said JMU and one other team that wouldn’t normally be eligible, as well as 5-7 Minnesota, we’re going to bowls because there weren’t enough eligible 6 win teams. Are you sure those teams were left out?

I saw an article yesterday which said JMU and one other team that wouldn’t normally be eligible, as well as 5-7 Minnesota, we’re going to bowls because there weren’t enough eligible 6 win teams. Are you sure those teams were left out?
He had to mean from previous years as two of those are in bowls and two of those are not bowl eligible

Looks like they will join this list of teams that didn't get a bowl invite. They need two more bowls. 😁
  • Southern Miss — 6-5
  • Miami (OH) — 6-6
  • Wyoming — 6-6
  • Louisiana-Monroe — 6-6
  • Navy/Army - 6-6
Ok, is this joke data? Wyoming and Miami are going to bowls while southern miss and La-Monroe have losing records, Monroe only won 2 games.

Ok, is this joke data? Wyoming and Miami are going to bowls while southern miss and La-Monroe have losing records, Monroe only won 2 games.
Give me a minute to research & post dammit! 😁

I just googled bowl eligible teams this year and didn't specify 2023. I wrongly assumed google would get it right, without checking the year of the first entry. 🤬

So the went beyond the rules for Jacksonville St, Minnesota, and James Madison, but not for Army/Navy.

Huh, great decision for our conference and a stupid move on the bowls part. I think Navy and Army would have brought more fans than Jacksonville St.

Give me a minute to research & post dammit! 😁

I just googled bowl eligible teams this year and didn't specify 2023. I wrongly assumed google would get it right, without checking the year of the first entry. 🤬

So the went beyond the rules for Jacksonville St, Minnesota, and James Madison, but not for Army/Navy.

Huh, great decision for our conference and a stupid move on the bowls part. I think Navy and Army would have brought more fans than Jacksonville St.
They would have drawn more people but they were not eligible and Jacksonville state has 8 wins. If anything we have too many bowls lol

They would have drawn more people but they were not eligible and Jacksonville state has 8 wins. If anything we have too many bowls lol
Neither was Jacksonville St or James Madison eligible. They haven't been eligible yet because they must have more than 2 years past moving up to D1, to become eligible. This is both of their 2nd years after moving up, I believe.

I guess if they gave James Madison a bid they felt the need to do the same for Jacksonville to be 'fair'. Heck I think Army/Navy would've out drawn Minnesota for that matter. But I'm not fully familiar with how well Minnesota travels. Minnesota was 5-7 and also ineligible. Minnesota's record is 5-7 and Army Navy's records are 5-6, but they are given preference because they play in a P5.

The sense of fairness ended with those three teams, and didn't get much pull w/ Army/Navy. When money was there to be lost by exempting Army/Navy from this fairness. I'm alright with it, but I just thought it played into the conversation about us getting 6 bowl bids when Army/Navy wasn't given latitude on bowl bids, when Minnesota, Jacksonville St, and James Madison were.

Poor Slutty Little Pony. Another loss in a bowl game wherever they are.

Neither was Jacksonville St or James Madison eligible. They haven't been eligible yet because they must have more than 2 years past moving up to D1, to become eligible. This is both of their 2nd years after moving up, I believe.

I guess if they gave James Madison a bid they felt the need to do the same for Jacksonville to be 'fair'. Heck I think Army/Navy would've out drawn Minnesota for that matter. But I'm not fully familiar with how well Minnesota travels. Minnesota was 5-7 and also ineligible. Minnesota's record is 5-7 and Army Navy's records are 5-6, but they are given preference because they play in a P5.

The sense of fairness ended with those three teams, and didn't get much pull w/ Army/Navy. When money was there to be lost by exempting Army/Navy from this fairness. I'm alright with it, but I just thought it played into the conversation about us getting 6 bowl bids when Army/Navy wasn't given latitude on bowl bids, when Minnesota, Jacksonville St, and James Madison were.
I kinda agree with you. Since both army and navy are both 5-6 going into this game they should have set one bowl bid aside for whoever wins the game such as the armed forces bowl. That would have kept Minnesota out.

Both were fcs last season.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Liberty did by going undefeated without playing any ranked or P5 opponents

Will get destroyed by Oregon

Sorry for our league’s loss of money but good riddance to the cheating Ponies
SMU would have gotten hammered by Oregon too. Heck, I'm not sure Oregon is not one of the best 4 teams in the country and should be playing the in the CFP. 2 losses, both to UW by a combined total of 6 pts. I for one would have like to see Oregon at 4 and the potential for a UW/Oregon game #3 for the championship.

As it is, we're going to get ESPN's fixed championship game of Alabama vs Texas. Watch the # of calls that go against Michigan and Washington in the semis. Why? Because they are B1G schools and NBC and Fox have their rights. ESPN wants to highlight its property in the SEC.

That's not going to happen for a while unless someone can convince the gov't powers that be that college football is 1) a for profit business and 2) worthy of an anti-trust exemption. While everyone keeps saying this is where we're headed, it's not that easy. The anti-trust lawsuit would be in the 10s of billions and would not only name the individual schools but also ESPN and FOX. Neither network wants to deal with a suit or even settle because the damages, over an infinite amount of time, could be proven. I mean for TU alone, at 10 years would be $80M or more...now multiply that by 75 schools on the wrong side of the split. And every year we have more FCS schools join FBS before the split, that number grows.

Too large. Takes away from the mystery of the bowl games. The lower bowls are there as an added incentive to become a champion for that season. Lump them into games they will not win and it might as well be NIL part 2. Also the players who draw the money (power 5 conferences) won’t allow it as that will now bring the season to a 17 game season. Also if they allow 32 teams in it’s pretty much going to be filled with the power 5 conferences with a couple group of 5 teams. Why even play at that point?
include every D1 conference champion.

That's not going to happen for a while unless someone can convince the gov't powers that be that college football is 1) a for profit business and 2) worthy of an anti-trust exemption. While everyone keeps saying this is where we're headed, it's not that easy. The anti-trust lawsuit would be in the 10s of billions and would not only name the individual schools but also ESPN and FOX. Neither network wants to deal with a suit or even settle because the damages, over an infinite amount of time, could be proven. I mean for TU alone, at 10 years would be $80M or more...now multiply that by 75 schools on the wrong side of the split. And every year we have more FCS schools join FBS before the split, that number grows.
It will happen, the government is good at making legal matters disappear or appear out of thin air to get what they want. Especially if they are paid to do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT