ADVERTISEMENT

Shaq

ctt8410

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
I can't remember the last time a TU player took over a game in the last 5 minutes like that. Take a look at this stretch of 5 possessions from 4:30 to 1:30 in the second half:

81-75 Ohio
Shaq steal, Shaq dunk
Shaq steal, Shaq dunk
Shaq closes down the baseline, driver falls and Shaq strips (?), Shaq to Woodard. Woodard fouled on the fastbreak
Shaq steal. Shaq to Curtis. Curtis fastbreak layup
Simmons tries to take Shaq off the dribble, falls down and throws the ball out of bounds. Shaq starts a drive, defense collapses, kick to Birt for an open 3.
86-81 Tulsa

Starts here:

I just watched those 3 minutes. Shaq was absolutely possessed. Does it seem like he's increased his vertical over last year? Two-handed slams and many in traffic in the last two games and they're done so effortlessly.

Reactions: TU405
Eric Coley had some stretches like that. He wouldn't even have to score and he absolutely controlled the game

Don't get me wrong...Shaq can do a lot of the things Coley did and has the added skill of at least a serviceable outside shot. Shaq is who will determine how far TU goes this year. As he, Curtis, and Birt hit more shots, defenses will start to soften their aggressiveness towards Juice

Reactions: el duran
One of the all time best performances in the last 10 minutes.

Reactions: TU 1978
Heck I'm still over here marveling at his performance vs WSU on replay. That alleyoop. The circus layups. THREES!

Phenomenal athlete and works as hard as anyone to keep getting better.

Are we sure he has Division 1 talent????????
I remember that stupid argument but don't remember who was the one making it. After seeing him play in Manning's first preseason open practice and then him leading the upset of a pretty good ORU squad... it was ridiculous that anyone should say that.

One thing I noticed after Birts 3, the only one not celebrating was coach Haith, he was trying to setup the defense. Good stuff.

One thing I noticed after Birts 3, the only one not celebrating was coach Haith, he was trying to setup the defense. Good stuff.
The great thing about Haith is he will show the appropriate amount of emotion, fire, etc. at the appropriate moment. What you pointed out is a coach makin sure his players know the game's not over and to continue playing the hard nosed defense that got you back in the game. He is balanced in that respect. Woj went over the top too much. Manning didn't seem to get after it enough (IMO).

Again, this thread is about Shaq and Inwill stick by my point earlier, this team goes as far as Shaq takes it. If he is playing well, it is going to open up a ton of options on offense regardless of who is in the game with him.

I remember that stupid argument but don't remember who was the one making it. After seeing him play in Manning's first preseason open practice and then him leading the upset of a pretty good ORU squad... it was ridiculous that anyone should say that.

The crazy thing is it didn't stop after his first, second, or third season. This is the 1st season I haven't seen it thrown out about Shaq. It's completely ridiculous but some people think they understand basketball much more than others and would prefer to look stupid for years instead of admit they're wrong.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Shaq plays harder than anyone. But we depend on Juice so much that when he is not scoring, we tend to fall behind. Shaq reliazes this and knows he has to take control. I'll still put those two guards up against anyone.

pretty sure it was either Bigzit or Bigdad.

Juice is such a selfless player. Looks for any possible way to contribute if he's being doubled.

Again, this thread is about Shaq and I will stick by my point earlier, this team
goes as far as Shaq takes it. If he is playing well, it is going to open up a ton
of options on offense regardless of who is in the game with him.

I agree, up to a point.....I thought our strength in the WSU game was that
we did a great job of sharing the BB.....Sharing the ball got us open shots,
and we hit them with enough regularity to win handily....

When I got back from a Dr.s appt. and saw the half time score of the Ohio
game, I couldn't believe it....When I saw the first five or six minutes of the
second half, I understood how we had ended up where we were.....We
weren't sharing the ball.....

Shaq or Juice, depending on who had the ball, were simply going one on
one, driving into the lane, whether there was a good chance to finish or
not, and seemingly oblivious to our spot-up shooters (Birt, Ray,or Curtis)....
Way too many, I thought, ended up in turnovers.....

Driving the BB, and Shaq has prob. more experience than anyone in the
AAC in doing that, does not have to be a suicide mission....If the drive is
not going well, dish the darn thing....Our outside shooting has been good
so far, and missed opportunities to shoot at all add up quickly.....

Shaq is the best driver of the ball at TU since Eldridge Webb, and that's
fifty odd years ago.....Both he and Juice have the experience to abort the
bad ones, and give our spot-up players a chance....

Picky?? Yep!.....But, if we had indeed lost, That, and a passive first half
defense, would have been my choice as reasons one and two.....:confused:

Reactions: Bill Lowery
I'm at the under 12 of the first half v Ohio and I think we are playing good team ball just not finishing.

I'm guessing by second half a little panic might have cause some more selfishness.

But so far it hasn't been one on one to me.

The whistles though GAH. No rhythm possible.

On the contrary, Ohio hasn't run any plays in a while. Just driving straight in or pulling up for a jumper. Little passing.

Shaq is a special player. I've always enjoyed watching him play and get better each year.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Hey now.... not me. I thought it was Tulsa Teen or someone.

Secondly.... Shaq without an outside shot = dime a dozen. Shaq with an outside shot = NBA 2nd round pick. BIG DIFFERENCE. Players have to be able to shoot the ball from the outside. Shaq knows this.

As for who will take us deep... it's on Woodard and Shaq equally. And then either Wright or Swannegan must have big games too.

I wonder who's going to figure out how to defend the inbounds alleyoop to Shaq. Seems we can do this at will so far.

And related, we have more than a few spot-on passers these days, and not just from the guard positions.

Hey now.... not me. I thought it was Tulsa Teen or someone.

Secondly.... Shaq without an outside shot = dime a dozen. Shaq with an outside shot = NBA 2nd round pick. BIG DIFFERENCE. Players have to be able to shoot the ball from the outside. Shaq knows this.

As for who will take us deep... it's on Woodard and Shaq equally. And then either Wright or Swannegan must have big games too.

And either Curtis, Ray or Burt need to make a couple of open threes when left alone. Agree its hard to win without Woodard and Shaq both aggressive.

I was concerned about how our season would go with the projected improvements of other teams in the league but seeing Birt, Taplin, and even Kajon Brown in limited minutes has made me very optimistic. We wore Ohio out. By those last 5 minutes they didn't have the energy to even try and keep up with our guys. Being able to go 11-12 deep without a significant drop off could be the definitive factor in our March destination.

It would be nice to go 12 deep, but that would require we not redshirt Edogi. I can't wait for late December, and January games when Taplin and Brown should be experienced enough that they start getting some extended playing time. By tournament time they should be ready! Would be nice if Big E could make some strides before tourney time.

I was skeptical about RS Edogi but Wright, Swannegan and Smith all look to be playing smarter so far this season.

So far so good, but I'm betting there is at least one or two games that foul trouble would let Edogi win the game if he played.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT