ADVERTISEMENT

Selective Service

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Can anyone tell me if this is still the law for 18 year old males? I remember when I was getting ready to turn 18 I got a postcard in the mail and had to fill it out and mail it back. I know my son has not received a postcard, nor has he received any sort of reminder. I mean, they used to scare the hell out of you that they could throw you in jail if you didn't register with SS but now it seems way more like a law on the books that no one, including the Federal Gov't really care about.

I'll be honest, I dont remember doing it myself at that age. Im sure I did though because even then it was still pretty much "scare" tactics they used....Now I dont even know if most kids know what a draft is.

According to online he has 30 days from his 18th bday to sign up for SS. It is still the law, just dont know how much it is actually enforced.

Reactions: lawpoke87
It’s a felony not to register. Assume the Fed’s aren’t currently prosecuting. However, the individual may be denied student loans as well as other benefits if they haven’t registered.

I remember those calls in high school. A bunch of my buddies would tell them they were gay and wouldn’t ever get a call back. My dad made me register even though I probably would have never passed the entry requirements due to a variety of things (not being gay).

I don’t think it is enforced. I do wonder if we end up with some sort of mandatory service, including non-military service.

I remember having to register for the draft on my 18th birthday. I was sweating the draft lottery, my birthday was 180, (for 1955 YOB) so I felt pretty safe. The week before I actually registered, they suspended the draft.

It’s a felony not to register. Assume the Fed’s aren’t currently prosecuting. However, the individual may be denied student loans as well as other benefits if they haven’t registered.
I am pretty sure that NJr had to attest to registering when he signed for his Baseball schollie.

Reactions: HuffyCane
It can have catastrophic consequences long term if he misses the deadline. Lifetime disqualification from security clearances, obstacles to federal employment, denial of student financial aid, suspension of drivers license, etc.

The criminal penalties are absolutely enforced but in typical fed gov fashion, there’s an 8 year grace period. After age 26 it’s essentially presumed you knowingly and willingly failed to register and then you are looking at prison and most who are convicted go.

Though that’s few in number, something like 1 million men, mostly over age 70 now, suffer from denial of some type of federal benefit as a result of a past refusal to register.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT