ADVERTISEMENT

Running of the Bulls 2024

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
So the annual Festival de San Fermin, including the 7 days of the running of the bulls in Pamplona kicked off Sunday/Monday. Back when I was younger (and AESPN would show the final day's running live on ESPN) I used to host a watch party that began at midnight because the actual running occurred at 8am local Spanish time (2am Tulsa time). ESPN's production was always done right too...they'd have a "Starting Line Up" of the 6 bulls including weight, breeder, horn span (tip to tip), etc. Then they'd recap the previous day providing stats (total run time, injuries, # of gorings). Most of the run last between 2:15-2:30 and anything over 3 minutes and you knew there was some nastiness along the course.

Anyway, there is a YouTube has a channel called RTVE where you can watch live or for us old farts who can't stay up that late anymore, you can watch the next day. They don't do the starting lineups or stats, but they do have a highlights clip of each day called Los Mejores Momentos (Major Moments).

I am thinking about posting the YouTube links from the previous days here. We'll see. The last couple of days have been boring...no major injuries to speak of. I think one guy yesterday got lightly grazed by a horn and then curled up in a ball like they tell you. There were a couple of morons who ran for about 10 yards between a bulls' horns before jumping out of the way. There were also a couple of moments I thought would lead to a Darwin Award moment....guy is running directly in front of a bull when 2 other bulls pull up beside him and he was right behind one in front of him...it's like the Toyota Prius that gets boxed in by the semis on the interstate....you know it's probably not going to end well. Somehow this dude escaped that gauntlet without getting trampled or gored.

I am thinking about posting the YouTube links from the previous days here. We'll see. The last couple of days have been boring...no major injuries to speak of. I think one guy yesterday got lightly grazed by a horn and then curled up in a ball like they tell you. There were a couple of morons who ran for about 10 yards between a bulls' horns before jumping out of the way. There were also a couple of moments I thought would lead to a Darwin Award moment....guy is running directly in front of a bull when 2 other bulls pull up beside him and he was right behind one in front of him...it's like the Toyota Prius that gets boxed in by the semis on the interstate....you know it's probably not going to end well. Somehow this dude escaped that gauntlet without getting trampled or gored.
Give them a ball they have to throw in a net and this would be the entertainment equivalent of hockey in my opinion.

Shoot I thought this was about Spain France yesterday.

Never mind.

To any locals thinking about traveling to Spain to “run with the bulls”, I have a buddy in Kiefer who will let you run through his bull pasture for $59.99 plus a 12 pack of natty light. Just passing along info
Prior to his death, Jim Shoulders had a ranch down in Henryetta that he raised and housed his bucking bulls. If that place was still raising rodeo stock it would be one helluva experience.

Just after I graduated from HS in '87 myself and a friend did some work on a place west of Collinsville, off of HWY75 where the one and two year olds were kept. We were welding some pipe fence and building a HEAVY duty corral. His brother was one of our teachers in school, and he and the ranch hands asked if we wanted to make a few more bucks and help them load bulls that were going to Henryetta. They didn't tell us that those damn beast hadn't ever been loaded, didn't interact with horses or people during their time there, and weren't scared of anything other than the 4-wheelers engines. Big suckers were trying to crawl over each other in the loading chute, tryed to brak through the corral, and a couple went after horses until the hands roped them and chocked them out. Made for a sphincter tightening afternoon...

So the annual Festival de San Fermin, including the 7 days of the running of the bulls in Pamplona kicked off Sunday/Monday. Back when I was younger (and AESPN would show the final day's running live on ESPN) I used to host a watch party that began at midnight because the actual running occurred at 8am local Spanish time (2am Tulsa time). ESPN's production was always done right too...they'd have a "Starting Line Up" of the 6 bulls including weight, breeder, horn span (tip to tip), etc. Then they'd recap the previous day providing stats (total run time, injuries, # of gorings). Most of the run last between 2:15-2:30 and anything over 3 minutes and you knew there was some nastiness along the course.

Anyway, there is a YouTube has a channel called RTVE where you can watch live or for us old farts who can't stay up that late anymore, you can watch the next day. They don't do the starting lineups or stats, but they do have a highlights clip of each day called Los Mejores Momentos (Major Moments).
Great channel. They deliver news based on facts, too — not some corrupt link to Sanchez & the rest of Europe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT