ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Prof Tom Cairns

Babe the Blue Ox

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Oct 3, 2001
i just learned that former Tulsa volleyball coach and math instructor Tom Cairns, known on these boards as TCatTU, has passed away at age 86.

I first met Dr. Cairns when his son and I played jr high basketball together in east Tulsa back in the day. He was a great representative of our school and will be missed.

Sorry to hear this. A number of my relatives were involved in the Tulsa volleyball community long ago and I met him a few times. Nice guy.

I needed a science elective my final semester at TU so I went with intro to sports science. The rest of the class were Freshmen, so I ended up talking with Dr Cairns more than my classmates. Very intelligent, caring, and funny man.

He’s the only person I’ve met that I thought is more TU than I am. Note: I don’t now basically anyone on here in person so that’d change this statement if I did.

He was a great guy. I believe he came in and helped teach some of the intramural refs the finer points of officiating volleyball matches. Of course, recently, they've trashed all the traditional rules of double contacts, etc.

I passed 2 math courses from him as a freshmen, and he gave me the benefit of the doubt both semesters on grades. So I'll always appreciate him.

Last edited:
When I started in 1965 Dr. Cairns was already there. Later he was the head of the math department. He coached TU volleyball for many years. An interesting gentleman. He played senior men's volleyball until he was 68. He was a setter. When I started trying to understand volleyball, I would bother him a few minutes then let him watch the game. He was a true educator. Whether talking differential equations or explaining volleyball statistics.

He was also a graduate assistant to Henry Iba and a Korean War vet. Rest in peace Tom.

Last edited:
Linear Algebra was never more interesting than when he taught it. A true blue and gold TU superman

Reactions: cmullinsTU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT