ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Giorgio

Li'l Eric Coley

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2004
I just saw where the great Giorgia Chinaglia passed away yesterday. Giorgio was always the first to remind anyone and everyone that he was the NASL's all-time leading scorer. We loved to hate him and I'm pretty sure that's the way he wanted it. Dude was a prima donna, a butthole, and a goal-scoring machine.

On the clip, he scores against Tulsa starting about the 1:12 mark.

50 goals

I think he scored seven in one night against the Roughnecks. It was brutal.

RIP, Chinaglia.
This post was edited on 4/2 1:06 PM by 'Cane-man

Originally posted by Li'l Eric Coley:
Dude was a prima donna, a butthole, and a goal-scoring machine.

Yeah, he was tailor made to be a New York Cosmo. I did love watching him play the beautiful game though.

Giorgio tore up the Roughnecks & everyone else in the NASL. Sad about his passing. I still love me some Mithchell,Wallace,Daniafard,Moreland,Skotarek,etc., being an old Roughneck fan & a NY Cosmo hater.
This post was edited on 4/2 8:25 PM by quincy101

I can't believe we used to play this sport on that painted green concrete.

Yeah, Skelly was certainly a dump back then. But it was our dump and by gawd, we loved it. Probably b/c we didn't know any better.

It was so weird to here him last week on the football show sounding weak and then to hear he passed. I hated the Cosmos, but he was the only pure goal scorer most kids were to able to watch and look up to back then. I remember practicing that receive, juggle, pivot and volley move he did for hours on end in my backyard as a kid.

They've had guests call in all week on his show on xm telling stories all week.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

My favorite georgio story was during the playoffs one year against Fort Lauderdale, the coach told the players after the walk through that nobody would be allowed out of the hotel the night before the game. If they did leave, there would be a $1000 fine. Georgio turned to the team, asked who was going out that night and five or six hands went up. so georgio took out his wallet, produced thousands in cash paid everyone's fine on the spot while telling the coach he was welcome to come out and georgio would pay his fine too. I've heard that story several times over the years and I laugh my arse off each time.

I was kicked in the face by a errant Ron Futcher penalty kick while seated in row B of the old north end zone.

I can't remember why I hated Ron Futcher so much-he was a dirty player, took dives,etc., but when he became a Roughneck & scored both goals on headers in the last championship game, all was forgiven.

He was basically the Minnesota Kicks entire franchise before he wore the Roughnecks jersey. Screw the Kicks!

If you think Crazy George and Ronnie Roughneck are hot, then we probably dominated the league.

Originally posted by Li'l Eric Coley:
Yeah, Skelly was certainly a dump back then. But it was our dump and by gawd, we loved it. Probably b/c we didn't know any better.
Those were great summer nights....hated the Cosmos....RIP Georgio...

GO TU!!!

On the floor: One night they had a oldies concert after the game and my son (age 6) and I sat on the field. It was like sitting on slate, the high that day was about 106 in a drought, and the band sand "I'm awalkin in the rain." I can't imagine being taken down on that rock.

Novocaine: You sat in B in the North endzone? I sat in about D or E dead center. Where you smaller then? But for some reason everything seemed out of focus!

The Cosmos: Giorion and don't forget Franz Beckinbauer and Carlos Alberto. I hate them all.
This post was edited on 4/25 7:50 PM by TUMe

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT