ADVERTISEMENT

Record prediction

The differences in the standard and expectations of OSU football today compared to as little as fifteen years ago is remarkable. Since 2010 OSU has:

Four 10 win seasons
2 BCS Bowl appearances. (That's one every three years on average )
2 top 10 finishes include #3
4 top 20 finishes.

Suppose it's a compliment to the current state of the program that the above is consoderd a disappointment.
Yep, they are a good team and have done very well , all I'm saying is they always seem to have one bag game that always keeps them from championship material

A
You can say that about all but one team every year
Let me remind you I'm not just trying to bash OSU , like I said, I like them, and hope they win all the other games, they are a good program , I hope you know I'm not saying they suck or even average, they are good.

2011 was the only year in that time period that OSU had a team which could compete for a natty. Under today's system they obviously would have been in the playoff. Beat a very good Andrew Luck led Stanford team in the Fiesta. When only two teams received a magic ticket they blew their chance with a flat performance at Ames under very difficult circumstances.

2011 was the only year in that time period OSU had a team which could compete for a natty. Under today's system they obviously would have been in the playoff. Beat a very good Andrew Luck led Stanford team in the Fiesta.
That was with Weeden , correct?

Yes, Weeden. OSU is not a school that gets a lot of publicity in the pre season, OSU and Tulsa both have to have a unreal team to get any respect, you guys get less than us. But, none of these years has OSU had a team that the National pundits rated real high, we always start out low and work our way up , this is one of the few times we are getting talked about

Just for the record, I have a lot of respect for the Tulsa program, I am just glad we didn't play you guys last year. I just think this year with you guys breaking in a new QB and is being what should be one of our best teams, I think we win this year. That does not mean it happens every year

OSU, like us, has to prove themselves. That's why we're playing them again. And, we've upset an allegedly better team before.

I'm curious to see how OU does now, if they have a hard time with Utep ( I seriously doubt it) could be a rough year for the sooners

The differences in the standard and expectations of OSU football today compared to as little as fifteen years ago is remarkable. Since 2010 OSU has:

Four 10 win seasons
2 BCS Bowl appearances. (That's one every three years on average )
2 top 10 finishes include #3
4 top 20 finishes.

Suppose it's a compliment to the current state of the program that the above is consoderd a disappointment.
We could go for hours on this topic. I do not intend to inflame, but OSU has some serious vulnerabilities that their fans rarely admit. Foremost is that it is a one booster program. When Boone dies, it will be back to square one. I know everyone says his money is locked in. We shall see how true that is once his kids start fighting over it and the bills come due. You can make a convincing argument that the only fundamental difference between Kansas State or Iowa State and OSU is Boone. Program like Texas, Alabama, USC and others have several Boones. It stretches credibility when OSU fans compare their program to elite tier programs. On the field performance is one thing, the program top to bottom is another. OSU isn't even close no matter how nice the locker room and film room you build. Second, Gundy has one good year every four or five years. You can take those media guide stats above with a grain of salt. The first BCS appearance, 2011, iirc was legit. That was a great team. The second one is closer to mediocrity and their appearance there has more to do with subtraction elsewhere in the Big 12 and around the country than addition by OSU. They beat one ranked team (TCU) that year. And TCU was overrated at the time. They lost the last three games of the year against the only portion of their schedule that was challenging. Ole Miss blew them out. That game wasn't even close. Between those two seasons, there is sputtering machine of 8-5s and 7-6 seasons. OSU needs to be more consistent before they can justifiably compare themselves to the programs that OSU fans crave parity with. The fact that a state like Oklahoma can put three teams in a bowl is nothing short of incredible. They are in the top half of the second tier of college football. They are not, and likely will never be, in the top tier.

I'm curious to see how OU does now, if they have a hard time with Utep ( I seriously doubt it) could be a rough year for the sooners
As long as OU have coaches on the staff that remember Stoops' 9am to 4pm, six day a week work weeks with time off for the kids I doubt they are ever going to do anything more than win the Big 12 which has rapidly diminishing prestige. Stoops blew the program up in 1999. They need to bring in a coach that takes that program through a Rocky trains in Siberia off season. Riley is not the answer. I've got a fiver that says Stoops is the coach of Iowa no later than 2019.

Reactions: TULSARISING
We could go for hours on this topic. I do not intend to inflame, but OSU has some serious vulnerabilities that their fans rarely admit. Foremost is that it is a one booster program. When Boone dies, it will be back to square one. I know everyone says his money is locked in. We shall see how true that is once his kids start fighting over it and the bills come due. You can make a convincing argument that the only fundamental difference between Kansas State or Iowa State and OSU is Boone. Program like Texas, Alabama, USC and others have several Boones. It stretches credibility when OSU fans compare their program to elite tier programs. On the field performance is one thing, the program top to bottom is another. OSU isn't even close no matter how nice the locker room and film room you build. Second, Gundy has one good year every four or five years. You can take those media guide stats above with a grain of salt. The first BCS appearance, 2011, iirc was legit. That was a great team. The second one is closer to mediocrity and their appearance there has more to do with subtraction elsewhere in the Big 12 and around the country than addition by OSU. They beat one ranked team (TCU) that year. And TCU was overrated at the time. They lost the last three games of the year against the only portion of their schedule that was challenging. Ole Miss blew them out. That game wasn't even close. Between those two seasons, there is sputtering machine of 8-5s and 7-6 seasons. OSU needs to be more consistent before they can justifiably compare themselves to the programs that OSU fans crave parity with. The fact that a state like Oklahoma can put three teams in a bowl is nothing short of incredible. They are in the top half of the second tier of college football. They are not, and likely will never be, in the top tier.

Ok, there is no doubt that TBP's major financial gift(s) changed the trajectory of OSU's program. But I'm not buying that his death will cause the Cowboys to revert back to what you undoubtedly hope for, will be below mediocrity. In the past decade Pickens has never given more than $1 million in a single year to the program. There are several OSU donors who have, and probably even several TU benefactors who have given at least that much to your program.

TBP's support has been transformational.....but most of our opponents' fan bases act like his ongoing donations remains the primary reason we've been competitive in Big 12 football. Perhaps his estate may bequeath additional funds for Cowboy athletics and even academics.....after this death, but your lecturing about OSU's serious vulnerabilities that our fans fail to admit, rings hollow. We understand precisely what limiting factors OSU football has to overcome to achieve even your definition of consistent success. Despite the limiting factors (including the obvious...competing in the same state and conference with the 800 lb gorilla called ou football) going to 11 straight bowl games, posting five, 10-win seasons in the past seven years (only six NCAA teams have equaled or exceeded that) and having the 2nd best winning percentage in the Big 12 over the same period.....is worthy of note. Amazingly in the past decade OSU has a better overall win total than the University of Texas (which has virtually zero limitations to be a top-tier program).

I've got a fiver that says Stoops is the coach of Iowa no later than 2019.

Brian Kelly, the Notre Dame coach, is definitely on the HOT seat,
Stoops just might B on the Irish radar as the next coach in waiting. Plus remember, Stoops & family just added a new "2nd/vacation" home in a Ritzy Chicago Burb & their twin sons graduate from Norman Spring of 2018.

I predict da' TU Men will go 9-3
w/ Losses to the Cow"pukes"
South Florida (My pick 4 AAC Chump & New Yr's Bowl)
& one other AAC Foe

Reactions: tutailgator
We could go for hours on this topic. I do not intend to inflame, but OSU has some serious vulnerabilities that their fans rarely admit. Foremost is that it is a one booster program. When Boone dies, it will be back to square one. I know everyone says his money is locked in. We shall see how true that is once his kids start fighting over it and the bills come due. You can make a convincing argument that the only fundamental difference between Kansas State or Iowa State and OSU is Boone. Program like Texas, Alabama, USC and others have several Boones. It stretches credibility when OSU fans compare their program to elite tier programs. On the field performance is one thing, the program top to bottom is another. OSU isn't even close no matter how nice the locker room and film room you build. Second, Gundy has one good year every four or five years. You can take those media guide stats above with a grain of salt. Tt , since he gache first BCS appearance, 2011, iirc was legit. That was a great team. The second one is closer to mediocrity and their appearance there has more to do with subtraction elsewhere in the Big 12 and around the country than addition by OSU. They beat one ranked team (TCU) that year. And TCU was overrated at the time. They lost the last three games of the year against the only portion of their schedule that was challenging. Ole Miss blew them out. That game wasn't even close. Between those two seasons, there is sputtering machine of 8-5s and 7-6 seasons. OSU needs to be more consistent before they can justifiably compare themselves to the programs that OSU fans crave parity with. The fact that a state like Oklahoma can put three teams in a bowl is nothing short of incredible. They are in the top half of the second tier of college football. They are not, and likely will never be, in the top tier.
It may appear from the outside that Boone Pickens is OSU's only major donor, but that is not the case. Boone Pickens donated around $250 million to OSU athletics ( and another $250 million to academics) but does not donate on a yearly basis, he was a capital donor. But, since Boone gave his largest donation we have had several other capital donations to OSU Athletics. Malone Mitchel gave over $70 million, Sherman Smith $20 million, Brad funk $10 million, Michael and Anne Greenwood $10 million , I can't remember the name but we just received an $18 million donation for the new Cowgirl Soccer stadium and have received over $40 million of the $50 million for the new baseball stadium........those are just some of the largest, all in the last 10 years..............

We could go for hours on this topic. I do not intend to inflame, but OSU has some serious vulnerabilities that their fans rarely admit. Foremost is that it is a one booster program. When Boone dies, it will be back to square one. I know everyone says his money is locked in. We shall see how true that is once his kids start fighting over it and the bills come due. You can make a convincing argument that the only fundamental difference between Kansas State or Iowa State and OSU is Boone. Program like Texas, Alabama, USC and others have several Boones. It stretches credibility when OSU fans compare their program to elite tier programs. On the field performance is one thing, the program top to bottom is another. OSU isn't even close no matter how nice the locker room and film room you build. Second, Gundy has one good year every four or five years. You can take those media guide stats above with a grain of salt. Tt , since he gache first BCS appearance, 2011, iirc was legit. That was a great team. The second one is closer to mediocrity and their appearance there has more to do with subtraction elsewhere in the Big 12 and around the country than addition by OSU. They beat one ranked team (TCU) that year. And TCU was overrated at the time. They lost the last three games of the year against the only portion of their schedule that was challenging. Ole Miss blew them out. That game wasn't even close. Between those two seasons, there is sputtering machine of 8-5s and 7-6 seasons. OSU needs to be more consistent before they can justifiably compare themselves to the programs that OSU fans crave parity with. The fact that a state like Oklahoma can put three teams in a bowl is nothing short of incredible. They are in the top half of the second tier of college football. They are not, and likely will never be, in the top tier.
It may appear from the outside that Boone Pickens is OSU's only major donor, but that is not the case. Boone Pickens donated around $250 million to OSU athletics ( and another $250 million to academics) but does not donate on a yearly basis, he was a capital donor. But, since Boone gave his largest donation we have had several other capital donations to OSU Athletics. Malone Mitchel gave over $70 million, Sherman Smith $20 million, Brad funk $10 million, Michael and Anne Greenwood $10 million , I can't remember the name but we just received an $18 million donation for the new Cowgirl Soccer stadium and have received over $40 million of the $50 million for the new baseball stadium........those are just some of the largest, all in the last 10 years..............

All those other big donations still don't add up to T-Boone.

All those other big donations still don't add up to T-Boone.
No one said they did add up, but OSU is far from being a one donor school. Any of those donations I mentioned on their own would have been the largest single donation in OSU history, and they have all come in the last few years. These donations do not effect our daily program operations aside from the ones put it not endowments for scholarships.

As long as OU have coaches on the staff that remember Stoops' 9am to 4pm, six day a week work weeks with time off for the kids I doubt they are ever going to do anything more than win the Big 12 which has rapidly diminishing prestige. Stoops blew the program up in 1999. They need to bring in a coach that takes that program through a Rocky trains in Siberia off season. Riley is not the answer. I've got a fiver that says Stoops is the coach of Iowa no later than 2019.

OU just had their annual donor golf tournament and no coaches participated in it for the first time ever. The coaches only came by and spoke to the participants for a little while after the round. Riley and the coaches are putting in work. It appears that Riley is not going to be outworked by many coaches. He is also recruiting at a high level. it is all about wins, though, so we will see how Riley does soon enough. I have a feeling he is going to be pretty special but I've been wrong plenty of times before.

OU just had their annual donor golf tournament and no coaches participated in it for the first time ever. The coaches only came by and spoke to the participants for a little while after the round. Riley and the coaches are putting in work. It appears that Riley is not going to be outworked by many coaches. He is also recruiting at a high level. it is all about wins, though, so we will see how Riley does soon enough. I have a feeling he is going to be pretty special but I've been wrong plenty of times before.
IMO, I think OU stays the same in offense and gets a better defense, Mike Stoops does not need to be in charge of the defense. That has been OUs problem, if that gets fixed , they will be a scary team

Reactions: theSeanDon
IMO, I think OU stays the same in offense and gets a better defense, Mike Stoops does not need to be in charge of the defense. That has been OUs problem, if that gets fixed , they will be a scary team

It will be difficult for ou to replace Westbrook, mixon, and perine on O. OU and Tulsa should have two of the best OL in the country, which will help a lot. As far as defense goes, OU set the bar extraordinarily low last season so they could improve and still be crummy. Mike Stoops is going to be playing the 4-3, 4-2-5 a lot more this season which is his forte. I think every coach on staff (except Ruffin McNeil) knows they are playing for their jobs this season since they were all hired by Bob.

It will be difficult for ou to replace Westbrook, mixon, and perine on O. OU and Tulsa should have two of the best OL in the country, which will help a lot. As far as defense goes, OU set the bar extraordinarily low last season so they could improve and still be crummy. Mike Stoops is going to be playing the 4-3, 4-2-5 a lot more this season which is his forte. I think every coach on staff (except Ruffin McNeil) knows they are playing for their jobs this season since they were all hired by Bob.
Definitely agree, OU and TU have monsters on the Oline, what alot of OSU fans don't know is that while yes , we did lose James Flanders, we get Rhamadi Warren back who was just as good if not better then Flanders, we also have Javon Thomas, at his size and speed will be a nightmare to any defense. We return very dangerous receivers with Keenen Johnson and Justin Hobbs. Most of our defense is back ( the same one that didn't give up a TD in the first half to THE OSU. TU has a real shot to become the #2 team in Oklahoma.... Bonus prediction.. OU blasts OSU again in Bedlam

Reactions: theSeanDon
I'm skeptical on the Riley hire due to the lack of success experienced by the coaches coming from the Mike Leach tree. He obviously could be different but the odds are stacked against him. There's no doubt coaching at OU will give him a great shot to succeed if he can find a DC.

I didn't say OSU was going in the wrong direction :)

Well....technically neither did Burns. Said TU and OSU were two programs headed in different directions if I recall...and thanks to Burns he did turn out to be correct.

I'm skeptical on the Riley hire due to the lack of success experienced by the coaches coming from the Mike Leach tree. He obviously could be different but the odds are stacked against him. There's no doubt coaching at OU will give him a great shot to succeed if he can find a DC.

Art Briles was a scum bag but he had a lot of success. Holgerson has had success. Seth Litttrell took over a 1-win north Texas program and made a bowl in his first season. Neal Brown took over a 3-win Troy team in 2015, and they went 10-3 with a bowl win in his second season. Ruffin McNeil experienced a lot of success at ECU, including the most single season wins in school history. He was let go after going 5-7 (8-5, 10-3, 8-5 in the previous 3 seasons), and his successor only won 3 games last year. Dykes and Kingsbury haven't been very good but they appear to be the exceptions unless I'm missing some other ones.

All of that has very little bearing on Lincoln Riley's head coaching future, though.

Holgy would be the one I would point to as the most successful running the Leach system. Briles doesn't run the Leach system so I'm not sure we can consider him.

Dykes
Littrell...too early
Greg McMackin....failed at Hawaii
McNeill.....a few good years then was fired
Holgy....good
Coach Bro...not good
Neal Brown...pretty early in his career

Better than I initially thought if you include Art. About what I thought if you don't.

Following a coaching legend is never easy. Far more have failed in that spot than succeeded. Stoops is a tough act to follow.

While neither is impressive, you can make a convincing argument that Leach's coaching tree is better than Stoops' if you focus solely on head coaches after stops at OU.

While neither is impressive, you can make a convincing argument that Leach's coaching tree is better than Stoops' if you focus solely on head coaches after stops at OU.

Agree..

Leach...good
Mangino....really good coach...fired because he was a bad person
Norvell...to early at Nevada
Pelini.....think he's a pretty solid coach. Nebraska had crazy expectations
Mike Stoops...bad
Sumlin....good at Houston, average at best at A&M
Kevin Wilson...pretty good coach imo. See Mangino for why he is no longer coaching at Indiana. Odd that 3 of the 7 have been fired for how they dealt with their players.

Agree..

Leach...good
Mangino....really good coach...fired because he was a bad person
Norvell...to early at Nevada
Pelini.....think he's a pretty solid coach. Nebraska had crazy expectations
Mike Stoops...bad
Sumlin....good at Houston, average at best at A&M
Kevin Wilson...pretty good coach imo. See Mangino for why he is no longer coaching at Indiana. Odd that 3 of the 7 have been fired for how they dealt with their players.
One is an aberration. Two is coincidence. Three is trend. Disagree on Pelini, he was terrible. But otherwise, you are 100.

I didn't post it, but my thoughts before the OSU game was 8-4. After 7-5. I hope the Canes prove me wrong by a couple games. Go Tulsa! Ready for the home opener to get that taste out of our mouths.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT