ADVERTISEMENT

QB Race News

Who will start at QB for Tulsa against Michigan State?

• Zach Smith

Votes: 41 66.1%
  • Seth Boomer

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Davis Brin

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Li'l Eric Coley

Votes: 11 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, I don't think it has been the "Baylor" offense for 4 years now. Right now it's the "Tulsa" and "Syracuse" offenses as I think we might be the only 2 in the country running it...and maybe USF (aren't the 2 OL coaches who Texas came and begged there now?)
Florida State will be running it.

Smith has a big arm and will get the nod but he may not have time to throw it more than 20 yards and I wonder about mobility. I actually think Brin is best suited for an up tempo passing game because he can read the defense and anticipates where the ball should go. I kinda liked how he used a lot of the field in the 2nd scrimmage. He is also very accurate-some drops in scrimmage but placement was good. I wonder if Monty will see what he can do against a lesser opponent.

Reactions: TU 1978
Smith has a big arm and will get the nod but he may not have time to throw it more than 20 yards and I wonder about mobility. I actually think Brin is best suited for an up tempo passing game because he can read the defense and anticipates where the ball should go. I kinda liked how he used a lot of the field in the 2nd scrimmage. He is also very accurate-some drops in scrimmage but placement was good. I wonder if Monty will see what he can do against a lesser opponent.
Well, that wouldn't be week 1 against a highly touted defense. Week 2 against San Jose St might be the better option to get Brin some in game snaps.

I’m sorry but you don’t just bench a QB to see what another guy can do for no reason. Also, are we really good enough to call anyone on our schedule a lesser opponent? Not until I see it.

When they announce Smith (and they will) do you think it will cause any problems with Boomer?

Maybe we ought to play the best QB, regardless of whether he played at Baylor or not.

I don’t have a lot of confidence in our OC making that decision based on past history.

Reactions: TULOYAL
Boo
Where would he go? NSU? Who would take him?
Boomer is a heckuva good athlete, that operated a running offense in high school. He's got a good set of tools, but has needed time to develop into a qb Monty's system requires. Throwing it 10 or 12 times a game in HS isn't like getting immersed in the fire like he was last year. If he decided to leave I don't believe he would have a problem finding a place. He seems to be a good kid, from a good family, that represents the university well and thus I'm in no rush to move him out the door.

Boo

Boomer is a heckuva good athlete, that operated a running offense in high school. He's got a good set of tools, but has needed time to develop into a qb Monty's system requires. Throwing it 10 or 12 times a game in HS isn't like getting immersed in the fire like he was last year. If he decided to leave I don't believe he would have a problem finding a place. He seems to be a good kid, from a good family, that represents the university well and thus I'm in no rush to move him out the door.
Our new motto, 'We eat our own."

Asking a rhetorical question regarding whether another FBS program would offer him a place since he wasn’t recruited by anyone else and struggled amongst poor playing calling and an inconsistent supporting cast isn’t an attack on the kid’s personality or good citizenship. I was a good kid from a good family in college and nobody said I should be QB or gave me much of anything for that matter.

I don’t think he’s going anywhere. His best chance to play is here at TU. If he has any sense, he knows that, no matter who is the starter.

Asking a rhetorical question regarding whether another FBS program would offer him a place since he wasn’t recruited by anyone else and struggled amongst poor playing calling and an inconsistent supporting cast isn’t an attack on the kid’s personality or good citizenship. I was a good kid from a good family in college and nobody said I should be QB or gave me much of anything for that matter.

I don’t think he’s going anywhere. His best chance to play is here at TU. If he has any sense, he knows that, no matter who is the starter.

Preach it!

Smith was just named the starter by Dantonio at his weekly press conference. Good to know.

That’s good he thinks that since it will be Brin. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I did find Dantonio's press conference interesting in that they mentioned the MSU vs Baylor Cotton Bowl Matchup in 2014. Interestingly, that was Monty's last game at Baylor before coming to Tulsa. The Bears ended up losing a close one 41-42.

Baylor had Bryce Petty at QB and KD Cannon and Corey Coleman out wide. MSU had Connor Cook and Tony Lippett. Cannon was able to score on some long bombs, but Baylor's defense wasn't able to stop Connor Cook.

Bryce Petty ended up passing for 550 yards in the game! Montgomery didn't get anything going in the run game and eventually abandoned it all together. Baylor ended with 22 rushes for -20 yards due to sacks on Petty.

I did find Dantonio's press conference interesting in that they mentioned the MSU vs Baylor Cotton Bowl Matchup in 2014. Interestingly, that was Monty's last game at Baylor before coming to Tulsa. The Bears ended up losing a close one 41-42.

Baylor had Bryce Petty at QB and KD Cannon and Corey Coleman out wide. MSU had Connor Cook and Tony Lippett. Cannon was able to score on some long bombs, but Baylor's defense wasn't able to stop Connor Cook.

Bryce Petty ended up passing for 550 yards in the game! Montgomery didn't get anything going in the run game and eventually abandoned it all together. Baylor ended with 22 rushes for -20 yards due to sacks on Petty.
D'Antonio always seems to have quality DL and LBs. Tough to run consistently against that. I remember watching that game too. Baylor's D was a special kind of bad. But if I recall correctly, MSU's DBs couldn't tackle in that game.

Whoever the heck our starting QB is, I hope they got ALL the snaps this week before leaving today. BTW, if you think +23 is a ridiculous line from Vegas, our new Tulsa World (nose) Picker has us losing to MickSt by 29. Does this guy have a clue?

Whoever the heck our starting QB is, I hope they got ALL the snaps this week before leaving today. BTW, if you think +23 is a ridiculous line from Vegas, our new Tulsa World (nose) Picker has us losing to MickSt by 29. Does this guy have a clue?
In the Picker's defense, he did say it was hard to go with TU until he could "see evidence that playmaking on offense has been upgraded"

Reactions: TU 1978
In the Picker's defense, he did say it was hard to go with TU until he could "see evidence that playmaking on offense has been upgraded"

I agree, but he totally discounted their defense, which shows little research. Losing by 29? I will streak through the quad if that happens.

Michigan State didn't win a single game last season by 21 points. Love TU +23.

Back on topic. LEC will you be on the team flight? If so sticking with my pick of you as the starter ; )
If he is on the flight, I doubt he's going to remember much of it.... He's got to be sloshed come Friday night when he trots onto the field. He's the quarterback equivalent of Jackie Chan in Drunken Master.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
Michigan State didn't win a single game last season by 21 points. Love TU +23.

Correct. This is the smart pick. Wouldn’t surprise me to see that line come down a smidge in the morning back to 21 or so either.

If he is on the flight, I doubt he's going to remember much of it.... He's got to be sloshed come Friday night when he trots onto the field. He's the quarterback equivalent of Jackie Chan in Drunken Master.

I dance kinda like that when drunk. I am the Tasmanian devil in a tight space, so as not kick somebody in the wrong place.

In the 60s the Tulsa World College football preview was one of the best. It covered pro, local and national college, and high school.

The World published a 28 page football preview on Sunday. 16 pages for college and 12 for high school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT