ADVERTISEMENT

QB Race News

Who will start at QB for Tulsa against Michigan State?

• Zach Smith

Votes: 41 66.1%
  • Seth Boomer

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Davis Brin

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Li'l Eric Coley

Votes: 11 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hurricanetown1

I.T.S. Sophomore
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2017
According to Jonathan Huskey at NewsOn6Sports he spoke with Montgomery yesterday and Davis Brin is in the QB race and 1 of 3 that might play. Anybody know anything about this development -

LOL. Good grief. He’s not going to reveal anything until gameday. It’s going to be smith, so stop buying into coach speak and the media nonsense.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I personally hope it’s Brin. Sounds like the other two weren’t ready last week.

The more I hear about the struggles at the position, the more I feel like this season could be really bad again....

Ugh...

Reactions: Weatherdemon
I agree it will be Smith. He has the arm and experience. A lot of pressure to start with him. If he does well-great. If he does not -nobody will fault Montgomery for trying him first. It will be interesting to see his decision making, mobility and accuracy. You have to assume he will not have much time to pass unless the o-line does a great job.

I agree it will be Smith. He has the arm and experience. A lot of pressure to start with him. If he does well-great. If he does not -nobody will fault Montgomery for trying him first. It will be interesting to see his decision making, mobility and accuracy. You have to assume he will not have much time to pass unless the o-line does a great job.
And the last sentence is likely of the most concern based on previous reports regarding the nearly completely retooled unit. If the line can’t hold up and the qb is fleeing for his life then it will definitely be a very ugly season. Hey, I’ll be a “the glass is half full guy” and say that I think the pieces will come together with the o-line and that we’re way ahead of where we were last year in regard to where we finished at the qb position.

With Smith's arm and ability to stretch the field (with ample passing attempts) it should soften the defense a bit and let our running game work. We have to pass on 1st and/or second down enough to be unpredictable.

With Smith's arm and ability to stretch the field (with ample passing attempts) it should soften the defense a bit and let our running game work. We have to pass on 1st and/or second down enough to be unpredictable.
Many of us have been saying this for 2 years. And the results are there when we actually do...see SMU game last year as well as the 1st half of the USF game before Monty went to sleep and stopped doing what got us a 21 pt lead.

Reactions: TU 1978
Many of us have been saying this for 2 years. And the results are there when we actually do...see SMU game last year as well as the 1st half of the USF game before Monty went to sleep and stopped doing what got us a 21 pt lead.

Maybe our OC will buy a clue.

Or grow a pair.

Maybe our OC will buy a clue.

Or grow a pair.

At this point I would prefer the second. He seems to go into a shell regularly.

Although he failed to play to our strengths for a majority of last year.....

Either works for me actually.

There is no QB issue. Scrimmages are always weighted toward the defense because they know the plays and there are quick whistles. Smith has been the QB since he stepped on campus.

Reactions: Buzzy56
You can have all the arm strength in the world, but if you aren’t doing what you need to do with your feet, eyes and decision making, you aren’t going to play in this offense if there are other less talented options available without those bad habits. Your quick release can somewhat make up for delayed decision making but it won’t solve bad decisions.

If Smith was the clear starter, he would be taking the majority of the 1 reps at this point. We aren’t hearing that.

Reactions: TU 1978
You can have all the arm strength in the world, but if you aren’t doing what you need to do with your feet, eyes and decision making, you aren’t going to play in this offense if there are other less talented options available without those bad habits. Your quick release can somewhat make up for delayed decision making but it won’t solve bad decisions.

If Smith was the clear starter, he would be taking the majority of the 1 reps at this point. We aren’t hearing that.
Which is what worries me. In part, I think our defense might have gotten too good for our offense. I wish they allowed each team a preseason scrimmage with another program.

Unless Smith has regressed since his time at the Baptist Correctional Institute the problem is unlikely him. We didn’t have receivers running crisp routes nor a line that was so dominant that it allowed for the deficiencies at qb to stay hidden last year. The play calling sucked and when the receivers did get the ball delivered more often than not they didn’t make the catch. There has been a culture of piss poor play and a string of excuses for why that has been the case. There’s a lot of coaching that needs to go on with our offensive players, and I’m not sure we have the staff in place to get it done. Time will certainly tell.

Unless Smith has regressed since his time at the Baptist Correctional Institute the problem is unlikely him. We didn’t have receivers running crisp routes nor a line that was so dominant that it allowed for the deficiencies at qb to stay hidden last year. The play calling sucked and when the receivers did get the ball delivered more often than not they didn’t make the catch. There has been a culture of piss poor play and a string of excuses for why that has been the case. There’s a lot of coaching that needs to go on with our offensive players, and I’m not sure we have the staff in place to get it done. Time will certainly tell.
Hey guy's let's give out coaches a break on this! They know their jobs are on the line and they will come up with the right QB soon!
Monty will name the QB in time and has his reason for not doing it sooner, just wait and see!

Reactions: astonmartin708
Hey guy's let's give out coaches a break on this! They know their jobs are on the line and they will come up with the right QB soon!
Monty will name the QB in time and has his reason for not doing it sooner, just wait and see!
If they’re coaching this year because their jobs on the line and took the last couple years off then I’m going to be really pissed. I do think they have the qb figured out already and he’s being tight lipped about it. I just believe their are so many other issues that needed to be addressed as well that qb May be the least of our concerns on that side of the ball (minus running backs which are solid).

Last edited:
Monty says he wants to throw it more this year=Smith. Last year there could have been a lot more interceptions but balls right in the hands of defenders were thankfully dropped. I predict he is ready to try something new.

According to my sources, there is a dark horse surprise in the QB race. Don’t be surprised when the starter is named and it is none of the above. Cannot tell you who it is, but his initials are L. E. C.

Put the women and children to bed and go lookin’ for dinner!

Reactions: HuffyCane
Monty says he wants to throw it more this year=Smith. Last year there could have been a lot more interceptions but balls right in the hands of defenders were thankfully dropped. I predict he is ready to try something new.
Last year we couldn’t run half the offense because no QB on the roster could throw the extended hand off passes out beyond the numbers that makes the offense work by forcing who the defense to expose which player is going to key the slot and therefore give away who the edge rusher is going to be. If Smith can make that throw consistently, that will certainly help. But the reality is that this offense is a run oriented veer look high school offense that was adapted to the college game 15 years ago. Defenses have adapted and our run first Oline struggles with pass protection off pre snap stances that show run, something you also have to be able to do to make this offense run properly if you watch the gurus on YouTube that expose how to beat this offense using Big12 tape. I’ve never thought we could attract the OL talent to do what this offense requires and I think we will always struggle finding and holding onto a dual threat QB with the skills to take the offense to the 10 victory seasons we want. We have always been a passing school. We need to get back to that. I’m hoping we get back to that this year, but I’m not optimistic.

And for the record before you stats guys start thumbing through Baylor history, throwing the ball somewhere between -2 and 2 yards down field 25 times netting 250 yards to set up 10 yard runs and 2 deep shots a game netting 125 yards does not make us a 375 yards passing team. It makes us a high school veer option team that overhand laterals the ball off out wide from a presnap read, which if you can’t throw deep is about as effective today as Switzer’s wishbone postsnap reads and under hand laterals. And equally boring but far less successful due to lack of talent.

Last year we couldn’t run half the offense because no QB on the roster could throw the extended hand off passes out beyond the numbers that makes the offense work by forcing who the defense to expose which player is going to key the slot and therefore give away who the edge rusher is going to be. If Smith can make that throw consistently, that will certainly help. But the reality is that this offense is a run oriented veer look high school offense that was adapted to the college game 15 years ago. Defenses have adapted and our run first Oline struggles with pass protection off pre snap stances that show run, something you also have to be able to do to make this offense run properly if you watch the gurus on YouTube that expose how to beat this offense using Big12 tape. I’ve never thought we could attract the OL talent to do what this offense requires and I think we will always struggle finding and holding onto a dual threat QB with the skills to take the offense to the 10 victory seasons we want. We have always been a passing school. We need to get back to that. I’m hoping we get back to that this year, but I’m not optimistic.

And for the record before you stats guys start thumbing through Baylor history, throwing the ball somewhere between -2 and 2 yards down field 25 times netting 250 yards to set up 10 yard runs and 2 deep shots a game netting 125 yards does not make us a 375 yards passing team. It makes us a high school veer option team that overhand laterals the ball off out wide from a presnap read, which if you can’t throw deep is about as effective today as Switzer’s wishbone postsnap reads and under hand laterals. And equally boring but far less successful due to lack of talent.
I'm not sure I understand the part about a dual threat QB. I wouldn't consider Dane Evans a dual-threat, but he did get us to 10 wins. I always thought the 1st requirement for this offense was a QB with a great arm. If they're mobile that's icing on top (more dangerous on qb keepers on option plays).

I'm not sure I understand the part about a dual threat QB. I wouldn't consider Dane Evans a dual-threat, but he did get us to 10 wins. I always thought the 1st requirement for this offense was a QB with a great arm. If they're mobile that's icing on top (more dangerous on qb keepers on option plays).
And neither matters if you have WRs who cannot create more than a step of separation in the 3 seconds they have to find space. As Huffy pointed out, we need to screen passes to work and they can't because opposing DBs press our WRs almost every play. This is why Skipper would double and triple pump the ball before throwing out there for the pick 6. It's not like having a Keyarris Garrett, Keevan Lucas, Josh Atkinson, and a Justin Hobbs in your 4 WR set where if you press and you're wrong, there's a 50 yd TD happening. Outside of Stokes who do we have that WE KNOW can create that separation? Even if we do have 2-3 guys who can will they get on the field because they're only FR/SO? Hell,we could have Brett Favre at QB and our offense might still look anemic in the passing game because our WRs simply can't get open.

They've been practicing against a top 10 back line which will surely be improved this year with all their experience. If the WR's haven't improved running routes against these guys, I guess we really are screwed.

Dane was here before the offense arrived. My point was about recruiting a dual threat QB and keeping him. We’ve only found one, he decommitted quickly to be QB3 at UNC. But to answer your question. Dane was not a dual threat guy but most of us recall that the defenses didn’t really loosen up until mid-season when Dane started keeping the ball more or even doing designed runs on third and short. You gotta have a guy that can run at an elite level, that knows this niche offense, and can pass with speed and accuracy outside the numbers before the secondary can jump the ball. There aren’t many high school offenses running this offense, and virtually none outside TX and OK, but there are several schools that are elite running it like FSU. so amongst the half dozen or so kids across America QBing this offense at the high school level with the talent and grades to play FBS, we are going to be a recruits four or fifth choice at best before other schools come out of the woodwork looking to poach the skills you have to have to make this offense work. Anybody we sign out of high school that hasn’t run this offense is a recruiting crap shoot, as we’ve seen before. So drastically smaller recruiting pool with even more pressure to locate “the guy.” The offense also requires defensive play at an elite level to keep scoring close and forcing turnovers to make up for offensive breakdowns and punts. This isn’t a come from behind offense.

In contrast, the Gus offense didn’t care how many points the other side scored by definition and design. Also by design, it didn’t matter whether your QB had an elite accurate arm. You needed a deep threat WR and a 3rd down WR. That’s it.

Which hire was better given TU’s struggles to attract elite defensive talent? The offense that didn’t care how many points are scored by the other team and can come from 28 points down in 5 minutes or the offense that needs the defense to hold the other team to 24 or less in today’s pass happy world and rules favoring the offense?

So our already handicapped recruiting situation has even more pressure put on it unnecessarily because we lacked the football knowledge and foresight on the search team to hire a coach with the knowledge and experience to locate players that we can sign and who can adapt situationally to our offensive and defensive philosophies to ensure success. That’s the difference between Kragthorpe and this hire. We beat ourselves with this hire. We need to stop acting like junkies hoping one thing or another will turn our life around.

Last edited:
Based on what I’ve seen, I would be shocked if Brin is in the mix.

I’m sure it’s Smith. If it’s not, we need to be concerned.

The primary issue will be the o-line and receivers...for those of you intimate with the program over the last 10-15 years, the current group of receivers are orders of magnitude less talented than what we’re used to seeing.

We’ll need to run the ball and play D.

Based on what I’ve seen, I would be shocked if Brin is in the mix.

I’m sure it’s Smith. If it’s not, we need to be concerned.

The primary issue will be the o-line and receivers...for those of you intimate with the program over the last 10-15 years, the current group of receivers are orders of magnitude less talented than what we’re used to seeing.

We’ll need to run the ball and play D.
Then we're in for trouble considering the experience of our O-Line. It seems that we didn't learn anything in the past 3 years regarding the need to throw the ball reliably to have success in Monty's offense.

Dane was here before the offense arrived. My point was about recruiting a dual threat QB and keeping him. We’ve only found one, he decommitted quickly to be QB3 at UNC. But to answer your question. Dane was not a dual threat guy but most of us recall that the defenses didn’t really loosen up until mid-season when Dane started keeping the ball more or even doing designed runs on third and short. You gotta have a guy that can run at an elite level, that knows this niche offense, and can pass with speed and accuracy outside the numbers before the secondary can jump the ball. There aren’t many high school offenses running this offense, and virtually none outside TX and OK, but there are several schools that are elite running it like FSU. so amongst the half dozen or so kids across America QBing this offense at the high school level with the talent and grades to play FBS, we are going to be a recruits four or fifth choice at best before other schools come out of the woodwork looking to poach the skills you have to have to make this offense work. Anybody we sign out of high school that hasn’t run this offense is a recruiting crap shoot, as we’ve seen before. So drastically smaller recruiting pool with even more pressure to locate “the guy.” The offense also requires defensive play at an elite level to keep scoring close and forcing turnovers to make up for offensive breakdowns and punts. This isn’t a come from behind offense.

In contrast, the Gus offense didn’t care how many points the other side scored by definition and design. Also by design, it didn’t matter whether your QB had an elite accurate arm. You needed a deep threat WR and a 3rd down WR. That’s it.

Which hire was better given TU’s struggles to attract elite defensive talent? The offense that didn’t care how many points are scored by the other team and can come from 28 points down in 5 minutes or the offense that needs the defense to hold the other team to 24 or less in today’s pass happy world and rules favoring the offense?

So our already handicapped recruiting situation has even more pressure put on it unnecessarily because we lacked the football knowledge and foresight on the search team to hire a coach with the knowledge and experience to locate players that we can sign and who can adapt situationally to our offensive and defensive philosophies to ensure success. That’s the difference between Kragthorpe and this hire. We beat ourselves with this hire. We need to stop acting like junkies hoping one thing or another will turn our life around.
It helped having a WR with elite speed along with a H-back with NFL speed and talent, and followed by a P5 level QB with an NFL speedster at WR along w/ some good possession guys...oh, and some defenses who could make plays when needed.

It helped having a WR with elite speed along with a H-back with NFL speed and talent, and followed by a P5 level QB with an NFL speedster at WR along w/ some good possession guys...oh, and some defenses who could make plays when needed.
And we got those guys because we were running an offense that would get all of them on tape. We haven’t had guys like that before or since. You could sell the program because 8 guys were going to be thrown to and be given a chance to make some tape that will get them to the league. It’s chapter 1 of Gus’ book. Players want to play in that offense. Now we are running an offense where you won’t catch a ball for three years, then if you see the field, you are out there blocking 30 times a game and catching 2-4 passes, if you can catch. It’s great for unrecruited local running backs tho.

Reactions: TULOYAL
I would expect Monty to name Smith as the starter next week. The fact that he has not ran away with the competition is a bit concerning.

Reactions: Buzzy56
He told Dane twenty minutes before the game began his first year.

From what I remember, Dane was the well established starter by that point. I don't remember any QB controversy whatsoever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT