ADVERTISEMENT

QB Position Back Open

goldenhurricane2

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 9, 2006
According to Kelly, the competition for starting QB is back open and someone other than Skipper could start at Houston.

Every position should be (open) at this point. This system seems to owe something to seniors and players that have been starters in the past. This isn’t Jr high, the # 1 priority is winning the ———— game. Hopefully the best at each position are in there. If they are not getting it done then let’s see who can step up. I’m sure coaches are hoping that person magically appears in practice this week.

Obviously only Kelly’s opinion, but she thinks Boomer will be the starter. And I do agree with her logic here.

I hope Boomer does get the job and completes 100% of his passes

Reactions: Aboomer and TU405
Boomer is a freshman right? So he could start the next four games. If nothing seems to really change (it's two tough than two easy ones) he can still go red shirt and just pick up valuable game snaps. If he does well you play him out and he can always red shirt next year and probably still play back up if the Baylor transfer beats him out.

President may show to be the better option with our current team strengths. A strong run first team can eat clock time and let a solid defense rest. With the turn overs and poor passing at times a light passing game with out interceptions might produce more positive returns.

Skipper may win the job and regain some confidence knowing he proved himself. Second chances can be motivation for higher levels of play and redemption is always possible in competition.

I would say this is a wise stratigic and tatical decision by Monty and the staff. There seem to be a lot more positives than negative out comes possible. For Monty it also takes some of the pressure off the demand for better qb play. If it is a open competition and not just for show it demonstrates a serious reevaluation of most of the team and positions.

If he gets criticized for poor decisions and process he should be credited when making solid decisions and evaluating issues. It's a smart logical step for the team.

Boomer is a freshman right? So he could start the next four games. If nothing seems to really change (it's two tough than two easy ones) he can still go red shirt and just pick up valuable game snaps. If he does well you play him out and he can always red shirt next year and probably still play back up if the Baylor transfer beats him out.

President may show to be the better option with our current team strengths. A strong run first team can eat clock time and let a solid defense rest. With the turn overs and poor passing at times a light passing game with out interceptions might produce more positive returns.

Skipper may win the job and regain some confidence knowing he proved himself. Second chances can be motivation for higher levels of play and redemption is always possible in competition.

I would say this is a wise stratigic and tatical decision by Monty and the staff. There seem to be a lot more positives than negative out comes possible. For Monty it also takes some of the pressure off the demand for better qb play. If it is a open competition and not just for show it demonstrates a serious reevaluation of most of the team and positions.

If he gets criticized for poor decisions and process he should be credited when making solid decisions and evaluating issues. It's a smart logical step for the team.

Boomer redshirted last year (I’m pretty sure), so nothing to lose by playing him.

He also mentioned the struggles on the O-line so maybe they will take a look at a different combo of Miller-Bowling-Bucktrot and 2 new tackles this week. And I want to see Josh Stewart get some paying time over Hobbs.

Monty needs to realize it doesn't matter if the player is a senior or not. Monty's job is on the line because of said senior's lack of production. Our defense has sorted itself out because we are starting younger players because of their ability to produce. I have a feeling Monty controls most of the who plays calls on offense even taking away that responsibility from Bloesch and Lowry.

Reactions: astonmartin708
I'm not sure who we have behind Willie Wright that's capable of starting though... Not that I like Wright staying in the lineup... I'm just not sure what depth is there.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Obviously only Kelly’s opinion, but she thinks Boomer will be the starter. And I do agree with her logic here.

I hope Boomer does get the job and completes 100% of his passes

Unless it's meant to be a wake up call to the current starter. Telling players they have to win their job all over again isn't uncommon.

I'm not sure what I would think of a QB change other than that it's a signal that the coaches may no longer be focused on "winning now" and shifted to playing for next year.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I'm not sure who we have behind Willie Wright that's capable of starting though... Not that I like Wright staying in the lineup... I'm just not sure what depth is there.
I think Waahid can play both sides. X'Zauvea Gadlin looks like the only other option who is not a true FR right now.

Every position should be (open) at this point.

The positions that should be open are offensive coordinator and QB/WR coach. If we don't have the "Vacancy" light turned on on those positions in particular toward the end of the season, then there needs to be another one opened for HC.

Reactions: TU Pilot
I’m starting to reach the conclusion that we don’t have an OC because there aren’t many people that know the playbook, all of them have worked with Monty and none of them want to work for a control freak.

We have 4 eligible qbs and none are good enough to play.

Did we do a bad job of recruiting?
I actually think Skipper, Boomer, and Brin Davis are all well capable. Davis is likely very capable as well as he is familiar with the system at the college level. Monty always talks about nuances and reads the QB has to make in deciding which play to call. The only way to get that is reps at the college level where D-coordinators keep their cards and tricks hidden until the last possible moment.

Jerry-O mentioned something about the RPO not being about reading the DEs, but more about reading the MLB and the SS and where they are lining up.

I think Boomer and Davis are well capable of making every pass in the book. Skipper is capable of most of those passes as well. Skipper does a good job of reading the RPO pretty well and has proven himself a capable runner. Monty needs to see if Boomer is capable of reading the RPO correctly and as quickly.

Reactions: Aboomer
I’m starting to reach the conclusion that we don’t have an OC because there aren’t many people that know the playbook, all of them have worked with Monty and none of them want to work for a control freak.
There just aren't many people that know the playbook period. USF would be retreads. Briles @ UH isn't going to come here. None of the guys in Syracuse are coming here. The only other program that runs it is Kent State right now.

Plenty of guys in the high school ranks know it. I'm not convinced we need an OC though

Plenty of guys in the high school ranks know it. I'm not convinced we need an OC though
Just the basic package to allow them to develop and feed players into the Baylor system and anything they tack on themselves. Briles is famous for refusing to write anything down. Its learned by rote, as well as visual aids and oral instruction.

Just the basic package to allow them to develop and feed players into the Baylor system and anything they tack on themselves. Briles is famous for refusing to write anything down. Its learned by rote, as well as visual aids and oral instruction.

I would say it's more like teaching guys things, sending them to high school coaching to get experience, and then bringing them back. Even GA's, depending on their role, know the whole offense.

I've never heard much about any of his offense translating to HS besides the couple that guys like Bloesch coached at.

I hope Boomer gets a shot at it. Skipper has not played winning football...too many turnovers, questionable decision making, etc.

I hope he also opens up the WR & OL positions. I trust Neph, Anderson & Stokes to run a good route, fight for the ball & catch the ball. We need to find a few more TE/WRs that can & will consistently do those things.

Reactions: TUGrad06
Skipper is always running for his life guys... I really dont think this is a qb issue. Our O line sucks something awful plus I've seen our receivers drop passes that hit right in the numbers. Now I'm not saying there has been bad passes but from my vantage point the kid is running for his life every snap.

And yes our recruiting has sucked soo bad... I cant even say burns bad because burns actually recruited well.

Skipper is always running for his life guys... I really dont think this is a qb issue. Our O line sucks something awful plus I've seen our receivers drop passes that hit right in the numbers. Now I'm not saying there has been bad passes but from my vantage point the kid is running for his life every snap.

It is a QB, OL, WR, and coaching problem. Giving a new QB a shot is the best option we have mid season.

If our recruiting is so bad someone will have to explain why we haven't been physically whipped.

Texas did not push us around and has some very high ranked classes.

It's not the line who was touted as one of the best in conference preseason, it isn't the QB (we're about to be on number 3), it isn't the receivers who came in (we have never had a receiver problem even durring Burns era). It wasn't the defensive players last year (we returned a bunch and our defense is proving solid).

Our defense didnt try to sub linemen in on a Temple goal line stand and get a 12 men penalty.

Our QB didn't call a jet sweep from our end zone.

Skipper was standing waiting for signals at the end of the game vs Temple down two touchdowns with the ball at the the temple 30. Whose job is it to get the plays in so we can go hurry up?

Our wr didn't use our time outs to freeze a kicker for a 30 yard field goal instead of using them to save time for the offense to have a chance vs UNM.

When we had Evans it didn't help us win close games. 3-10 in one score games. The only wins are overtimes, where game management decisions are taken away and dictated by needing a TD or field goal.

Evans and Skipper don't kick field goals or miss four in a game. Who makes the decision to not bring in a scholarship kicker?

The players (all recruited by this staff) are not the issue. Even if they were the issue that falls back on the coaches who recruited then.

The staff has a few more games to prove they know what they are doing. I'm not holding my breath.

The players (all recruited by this staff) are not the issue. Even if they were the issue that falls back on the coaches who recruited then.

The staff has a few more games to prove they know what they are doing. I'm not holding my breath.

I agree with all of this. Coaching is the biggest issue. I think we have a talented OL but they’re not being coached up to their abilities. I do think we have one of the worst WR corps we’ve had in the past decade, and that’s a recruiting problem.

Not recruiting a talented kicker and the time management are piss poor and have cost us two games this season. Be careful though if we point this out too much more some Monty homers will come call us names.

For what it’s worth I really like Monty, I was super excited about the hire. Now in year 4 I just don’t see enough to think he’s the right man for the job.

Reactions: TUGrad06
We have 4 eligible qbs and none are good enough to play.

Did we do a bad job of recruiting?
TU should have recinded Hefley's scholarship ...he can't play .
Stop being an a$$. For all we know the kid shows up to every work out and practice and works his a$$ off. Just because he hasn’t been the go to guy, you don’t rescind his scholarship. That’s a Florida State, OU bush league move.

Here we go looking for someone to blame. The OL WR or QB now the coaching staff and recruiting. Monty has a offense system his players ran this system in Texas and Oklahoma. Monty need to expand his play calling and use more of his players. He has speed and size at WR RB and TE. He need to find the right combination.

Reactions: TU_BLA and drboobay
We had three skill players (Evans, Garrett, Lucas) who were among the best in the country at their positions. We don't right now. It's not much more complicated than that.

We had three skill players (Evans, Garrett, Lucas) who were among the best in the country at their positions. We don't right now. It's not much more complicated than that.

People are running and catching just fine. We had huge offensive numbers last year vs Toledo, Houston, etc this year vs Texas 200+ yards running, 200+ rushing vs Temple, and near 200 yards passing on average.

Our decision making leaves a lot to be desired. Sometimes when your players are good enough they turn bad decisions into good outcomes.

3-10 in one score games. All three wins in overtime when most of the decision making is taken away.

People are running and catching just fine. We had huge offensive numbers last year vs Toledo, Houston, etc this year vs Texas 200+ yards running, 200+ rushing vs Temple, and near 200 yards passing on average.

Our decision making leaves a lot to be desired. Sometimes when your players are good enough they turn bad decisions into good outcomes.

3-10 in one score games. All three wins in overtime when most of the decision making is taken away.
Toledo was a shootout... they weren't playing good defense at all for most of the game, and when they finally did we ended up losing. 200+ yards rushing alone isn't going to win any games with this offense. Our decision making is fine. Blown protections by our offensive line have led to two defensive touchdowns (one vs. ASU, one vs. Temple), and they've led to several more turnovers due to fumbles. That's the biggest game changer we've had along with some special teams misses.

As you can see, when our line actually protects our QB as they did vs. Texas we had a shot to win the game if our kicking game was up to snuff. When they don't protect the QB we're going to lose by more than a TD. It's pretty simple.

Everything is pointing to Boomer getting the start. It’ll definitely be interesting to see how he does in a trial by fire situation on Thursday.

Normally, I'd say giving a kid his first start and his first snaps against a generational talent like Ed Oliver, Jr. is insane. But doing the same thing we have been doing is more insane.

That said, I think it will be same song, third verse. Lets just hope there isnt the same chorus of turnovers and wild ducks.

You can put Boomer back there, but I still think it will be Montgomery's Gandalf Offense.

latest

Normally, I'd say giving a kid his first start and his first snaps against a generational talent like Ed Oliver, Jr. is insane. But doing the same thing we have been doing is more insane.

That said, I think it will be same song, third verse. Lets just hope there isnt the same chorus of turnovers and wild ducks.

You can put Boomer back there, but I still think it will be Montgomery's Gandalf Offense.

latest
Gave me a good chuckle, thanks.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Toledo was a shootout... they weren't playing good defense at all for most of the game, and when they finally did we ended up losing. 200+ yards rushing alone isn't going to win any games with this offense. Our decision making is fine. Blown protections by our offensive line have led to two defensive touchdowns (one vs. ASU, one vs. Temple), and they've led to several more turnovers due to fumbles. That's the biggest game changer we've had along with some special teams misses.

As you can see, when our line actually protects our QB as they did vs. Texas we had a shot to win the game if our kicking game was up to snuff. When they don't protect the QB we're going to lose by more than a TD. It's pretty simple.

Who recruited the O-line and the kickers (well I guess actually no one on the kickers)?

1)Coaches give your team advantages.

They scheme up attacks on offense or defense that exploit your opponents deficiencies or strengthen your advantages.

They make strategic decisions that lead to opportunistic plays for benefits. Choosing the wind because you know it will change. Standing still on a fair catch because the coverage team tends to get lax on those punts and then running the return. Hidding a small running back in the huddle so the defense can't see him in the formation. Running the ball to keep possession from a high powered offense. Blitzing from the corner because the running back releases late and they can't match up for a delayed blitz.

2) Coaches recruit and develope players.

They get big names. They find diamonds in the rough and polish them. They turn 3 star freshmen in to all conference seniors. Players come in and get faster, stronger, and better.

Please give me examples of 1 or 2

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT