ADVERTISEMENT

Possible Contract extension for Haith

According to the coach, our biggest problem is parking.
If this is seriously the deal, we need a new athletic director, I definitely understand not firing him right now, but a contract extension without even sniffing an NCAA appearance or making the NIT with his own players is flat out dumb.

According to the coach, our biggest problem is parking.
No doubt the parking sucks, and I don’t doubt that there is a certain segment that don’t make it to games when the wether is cold or wet or windy or icy or.... The walk from the south is poorly lit and on campus isn’t always easy.

Attendance problems are way more complicated than that. Parking is just the low hanging fruit.

There is a very good thread about this in the Alley.

Here is an alternative thought: if the deal is we are saying it’s an extension to keep recruits on board, doooo eeeeeet.

There is a very good thread about this in the Alley.

Here is an alternative thought: if the deal is we are saying it’s an extension to keep recruits on board, doooo eeeeeet.
Maybe we should actually get one of them to commit before we commit to anything

Parking didn't keep the fans away during the Self years. I think our biggest problem is not going to any post season play like the NCAA or the NIT. However, what do I know I have only been going to the games since around 1960!
Agree, this will be the worst decision since giving Doug an extension. Gragg needs to go if this is true

Parking didn't keep the fans away during the Self years. I think our biggest problem is not going to any post season play like the NCAA or the NIT. However, what do I know I have only been going to the games since around 1960!
Agreed, but it’s amazing how soft today’s consumers are. If it’s not convenient the fair weather crowd thinks a 10 minute walk in any form or condition is just too much.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Weird that 10k+ can find parking for a football game, but no more than 5k can find parking for a basketball game...

I think it’s weird that this is even an issue at all. I’ve been to college games at many different venues and the parking situation we have around TU isn’t bad. Could it be better? Sure, but the parking excuse is just that: an excuse. I think the only place where I’ve seen a game with easier access from the parking lot was ORU... and that’s because there were probably 1000 people at the game and half were TU fans. Not sure we want to emulate that..,

There’s this little guard named Cook . . .

I thought you were not following us anymore because of extension.
Cook? We're going to extend Haith for a 5'10 guard? I don't care if he ends up being as good as Fred Van Vleet you don't do that.

Reactions: TULSARISING
I assume the logic is that Frank will stay and if he can get over the hump it’ll be a game changer for us. So make sure you give him every reasonable chance so we avoid losing out on what could be a great thing. I’m personally skeptical but I understand the thinking. Hopefully it’s got an annual renewal requirement on our favor so it’s really a series of 1 year extensions and not really 3.

From the online article it seemed that Holstein drummed up the parking issue to cause trouble. Frank kind of went along with it but it didn’t seem to me that Frank was making a big deal about it, he just agreed.

I thought you weren’t following TU basketball anymore.
As I said on the other thread; you dunce. When they announce an extension for our mediocre coach I'll be gone. I have to have a little bit of hope that Gragg will listen to somebody that's smarter than you.

Yes. I know. You'll dance a little happy dance when I'm gone. Then you'll watch crap basketball for 4 more years and I will laugh at you.

As I said on the other thread; you dunce. When they announce an extension for our mediocre coach I'll be gone. I have to have a little bit of hope that Gragg will listen to somebody that's smarter than you.

Yes. I know. You'll dance a little happy dance when I'm gone. Then you'll watch crap basketball for 4 more years and I will laugh at you.

You said you weren’t going to post about basketball.

Also, bells, brau brau. Bells.

Nah, he actually does know about basketball.

You on the other hand need to gtfo and go back under your bridge. Indefinitely, preferably.

Even if that happens, I’m not sure laughing about it is the appropriate emotion... unless of course you’re like a few others here who’d rather pat themselves on the back than see TU succeed.

Last edited:
I actually think the extension will be the right move. Our program seems to be on solid footing now since losing 9 seniors in that ridiculous class. Next year is the year I’ll judge more harshly.

Reactions: Clong83a
Aston no one will miss you. Bye Felicia
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Even if that happens, I’m not sure laughing about it is the appropriate emotion... unless of course you’re like a few other here who’d rather pat themselves on the back than see TU succeed.
No, I'd rather see TU succeed; which is why I am vehemently against even talking to Haith about an extension yet.

This is the same exact mistake we made with Wojcik.

No, this is nothing like wojcik.
Yeah. Because Wojcik was handed a truly crap situation where the program was coming off of its worst performances in decades. Then he proceeded to move us into mediocrity. Haith was handed a slightly above average program and proceeded to take it back to mediocrity. At least Wojcik could make it at large to the NIT with his own guys. Haith can't even do that.

Haith took us to the tourney already, did Doug? He couldn’t take 2-3 nba guys to the tourney...amirite? You’re an idiot.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Yeah. Because Wojcik was handed a truly crap situation where the program was coming off of its worst performances in decades. Then he proceeded to move us into mediocrity. Haith was handed a slightly above average program and proceeded to take it back to mediocrity. At least Wojcik could make it at large to the NIT with his own guys. Haith can't even do that.

I shouldn’t even continue to fan this fire, but dude come on... Douglas maxed out his potential with an NIT bid. His crowning moment at TU was getting a win in the NIT, because “we’re just Tulsa”. You don’t have to like frank or the direction of the program but to compare Doug to Frank is like saying steel reserve and Marshall’s beers are on par...

Haith took us to the tourney already, did Doug? He couldn’t take 2-3 nba guys to the tourney...amirite? You’re an idiot.
Haith did it with guys who weren't his players. In fact, he probably hindered what those guys could have done by making terrible additions to the teams like Sterling Brown and Keondre Dew. He also redshirted TK when we needed bigs and then TK left as a graduate transfer and helped another team get to the tourney.

It's been mismanagement from Haith's first season. Pretty much anyone (EVEN YOU!) could have done what Haith did with the kids he was handed. Haith squandered what he was handed. Shaq + Juice could have been where Houston is now if they had been helped with a couple other pieces by Haith.

Please don't leave asston...you are a great source of humor...we wouldn't have anyone else to pick on...and I would have nothing to nuke in the off season!! Stick around you big silly!!

Nuke em :nukem:

Reactions: Bill Lowery
I shouldn’t even continue to fan this fire, but dude come on... Douglas maxed out his potential with an NIT bid. His crowning moment at TU was getting a win in the NIT, because “we’re just Tulsa”. You don’t have to like frank or the direction of the program but to compare Doug to Frank is like saying steel reserve and Marshall’s beers are on par...
Let me be clear. I'm not saying Doug was a good coach. I'm just saying that when you compare what Doug did with the guys he recruited it's been superior to what Haith has done with the guys he recruited.

I would almost argue that Doug recruited better players overall; although I am pleased with Jeffries so I'll hold off on that statement.

Haith's teams are a lot better than Wojcik's. We play in a conference that is at least 3-4x better than C-USA if not greater than that.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Haith's teams are a lot better than Wojcik's. We play in a conference that is at least 3-4x better than C-USA if not greater than that.
That is true, but we are also paying Haith at least $1.3 million. We need to be in or at least in the conversation of the NCAA every year. Until he gets to that level, there should be no talk of extending his contract.

I don't see it. At all. The "year we've been waiting for" team would have beaten this team. Doug's third year squad (after coming off of the worst period in the program's history) would have easily trounced Haith's 3rd year.

It's hard to believe that anyone that was around during the Woj years would suggest he's a better coach than Haith.

This year's win against Kansas State is better than any single win Wojcik had during his entire tenure.

We've beaten two top 15 teams under Haith including the highest ranked team ever beaten at the Reynold's Center. We've finished in the upper half of a much better conference 3 out of 4 years under Haith. We received an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament and collected an NIT win (which was Woj's high water mark as Tulsa's coach) under Haith.

Do I think we should give Haith a contract extension? No. Is it ridiculous to compare his tenure with that of Doug Wojcik. Yes.

The "year we've been waiting for" team would have beaten this team

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Wojcik didn't know how to coach against a Zone AND that team had Wheatley at the 3. Jordan would've barely been able to touch the ball against the zone, with both inside men on him. And then they would leave Wheatley on an island.

It's hard to believe that anyone that was around during the Woj years would suggest he's a better coach than Haith.

This year's win against Kansas State is better than any single win Wojcik had during his entire tenure.

We've beaten two top 15 teams under Haith including the highest ranked team ever beaten at the Reynold's Center. We've finished in the upper half of a much better conference 3 out of 4 years under Haith. We received an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament and collected an NIT win (which was Woj's high water mark as Tulsa's coach) under Haith.

Do I think we should give Haith a contract extension? No. Is it ridiculous to compare his tenure with that of Doug Wojcik. Yes.
I didn't suggest he's a better coach than Haith. I just suggested they're BOTH mediocre coaches. Haith has won some big games. He has also lost to some TERRIBLE schools and blown a ton of games he should have won. Haith finished highly in the first two seasons in spite of his coaching not because of it.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Wojcik didn't know how to coach against a Zone AND that team had Wheatley at the 3. Jordan would've barely been able to touch the ball against the zone, with both inside men on him. And then they would leave Wheatley on an island.
And Hurtt + Uzoh + Medder would have destroyed us from outside with wide open shots and probably won on a 29 foot runner that Taplin didn't defend appropriately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT