ADVERTISEMENT

PJ

TUcandoit

I.T.S. Senior
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2011

"At the charity stripe, Haggerty probably isn't going to challenge Zach Edey for the national lead in made freebies. But at 64-for-78 through nine games, he's on track to score at least 215 points just in free throws.

And with 22 steals, he entered Tuesday night's game against Mississippi Valley State roughly on pace for 75 takeaways. (Assuming Tulsa plays 31 games, which would mean an immediate exit from the AAC tournament and no postseason tournament.)

If Haggerty were to hit each of those marks (215 free throws and 75 steals), he would become just the fifth non-senior in the past three decades to do so.

The others? Allen Iverson, Stephen Curry, Kemba Walker and Russ Smith."

Article is 3 weeks old...but that is kinda cool. Might do something that only 4 other freshman have done in last 30 years. What a list of names!!!

"At the charity stripe, Haggerty probably isn't going to challenge Zach Edey for the national lead in made freebies. But at 64-for-78 through nine games, he's on track to score at least 215 points just in free throws.

And with 22 steals, he entered Tuesday night's game against Mississippi Valley State roughly on pace for 75 takeaways. (Assuming Tulsa plays 31 games, which would mean an immediate exit from the AAC tournament and no postseason tournament.)

If Haggerty were to hit each of those marks (215 free throws and 75 steals), he would become just the fifth non-senior in the past three decades to do so.

The others? Allen Iverson, Stephen Curry, Kemba Walker and Russ Smith."

Article is 3 weeks old...but that is kinda cool. Might do something that only 4 other freshman have done in last 30 years. What a list of names!!!
Updated stats as of the UTSA game. PJ has 119 made FTs and 36 steals. He'd have to avg. almost roughly 3 steals a game here in out and 10 made FTs per game to hit the marks they mentioned. And it seems the AAC referees have decided that he shouldn't be shooting that many FTs in games. He was among the national leaders in FTA but that pace has slowed since the start of conference play. They're allowing defenses to body him up on his drives. In the NBA he gets those calls but apparently the AAC doesn't want Tulsa crashing to basketball party.

Updated stats as of the UTSA game. PJ has 119 made FTs and 36 steals. He'd have to avg. almost roughly 3 steals a game here in out and 10 made FTs per game to hit the marks they mentioned. And it seems the AAC referees have decided that he shouldn't be shooting that many FTs in games. He was among the national leaders in FTA but that pace has slowed since the start of conference play. They're allowing defenses to body him up on his drives. In the NBA he gets those calls but apparently the AAC doesn't want Tulsa crashing to basketball party.
The UALR officials so far are the only ones that would not call fouls when he drove.

The UALR officials so far are the only ones that would not call fouls when he drove.
Eh. 0 (zero) FTs vs ECU, 3 vs UTSA. He hit his avg vs Tulane and Memphis.

I doubt he wasn't getting fouled vs ECU. We only shot 9 as a team. We were whistled for 14 fouls in that game and ECU only 13 meaning I doubt either team was in the bonus for much of either half.

And UTSA may have been a product of us shooting so well from outside.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
We just need to concentrate on a good post this offseason and I think we will be good.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
We just need to get him some help.
Reed and Archie have potential !
We just need to concentrate on a good post this off season and I think we
will be good.
Hmmm...If you assumed that we will lose one player to the portal, we will have
four scholarships to give, including Smikle...

I would also like to see them (the coaches) find a good scoring, rebounding
wing....You might consider Barnes one, but his rebounding results have been
erratic, and Carlous has also not found consistency....If Barnes got stronger
and a little heavier over the off-season, it would help him a lot...He gives a
really good effort....

We will have 4 guards (barring portal entry by any of them) returning..Willis
and Mcwright are definitely two guards, leaving Archie and PJ as potential
points...If I were the coach, I wouldn't want PJ burdened with the point
position, so a PG might be used for the final scholarship as the total now
stands....

Overall, our "bigs" need to be stronger to better match most of the front
line players in our conference....Hall needs all the coaching they can give
him on the defensive end, as he apparently didn't get much in HS on
this defensive scheme....He seems to get lost sometimes...

A five, a wing, a PG, and the already signed five, Smikle, which would be a
good class!

Last edited:
Player retention is the buzz word in AAC basketball. Keep the good ones together for 4 years. A Monumental task in today's world.
And the courts just affirmed, for now, that the G5s can essentially be treated as a developmental league. Wonder if the schools can implement a 4 year letter of intent with buyout clauses since the courts are essentially saying limiting transfers is a violation of antitrust and some other business. If that's the case, make the players sign binding contracts, have the NIL collectives put the terms in for 4 years and what it means if you breach said agreement. If the players want to be treated as free agents, then the schools should have them sign contracts so it is not so one sided. And if you want to add the clause that if the coach leaves (on his own) and the student athlete wishes to terminate the agreement at that time, there will be no penalty, fine. Let's dispense with the whole amateur thing from the NCAA. It disappeared a long time ago.

That's how they are keeping contracts out of this...the "NIL" isnt from the school but from a collective of people outside the school.

That's how they are keeping contracts out of this...the "NIL" isnt from the school but from a collective of people outside the school.
But the open transfer does affect the schools and has nothing to do with the NIL (or isn't supposed to per the NCAA). And the court ruling is basically stating the NCAA limiting # of transfers is violating the players free business/antitrust rights, then why can't the schools protect their legitimate business interests by making the LOI a contract agreement and putting terms in there that require full repayment of the cost of attendance given to them. It has to be a two way agreement and right now these players want the rights of a contract agreement, free trade and free agency but all of the benefits are with the player and schools get screwed.

Is Henry Premieux still around for NIL $$? going to get expensive for haggerty. Does he get free burnco and coneys with a few Instagram posts here and there?

But the open transfer does affect the schools and has nothing to do with the NIL (or isn't supposed to per the NCAA). And the court ruling is basically stating the NCAA limiting # of transfers is violating the players free business/antitrust rights, then why can't the schools protect their legitimate business interests by making the LOI a contract agreement and putting terms in there that require full repayment of the cost of attendance given to them. It has to be a two way agreement and right now these players want the rights of a contract agreement, free trade and free agency but all of the benefits are with the player and schools get screwed.
Unless (or until) Congress steps in and passes legislation dealing with NILs, transfers, etc…this is the landscape.

I swear I saw a TU Basketball/athletics graphic either on Twtter/X or Instagram in the last couple days that had PJ as the #1 FR in the country right now

I also saw speculation that he might be national freshman of the year. If so I’m not feeling good about our chances of keeping him.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I also saw speculation that he might be national freshman of the year. If so I’m not feeling good about our chances of keeping him.
He has been seen by every "agent" in the country so it doesn't matter if he is national freshman of the year. If he appreciates the way his coach has let him "play his game" , enjoys the school and his teammates and is fairly compensated he may be comfortable that his gateway to the NBA is as good here than anywhere. You never know about kids. All the FAU kids came back this year after agents descended on them. We just can't dwell on this to raise our blood pressure.:)

He has been seen by every "agent" in the country so it doesn't matter if he is national freshman of the year. If he appreciates the way his coach has let him "play his game" , enjoys the school and his teammates and is fairly compensated he may be comfortable that his gateway to the NBA is as good here than anywhere. You never know about kids. All the FAU kids came back this year after agents descended on them. We just can't dwell on this to raise our blood pressure.:)
It is a fair topic for discussion though despite dough’s efforts to keep us from discussing anything except rainbows.

McClellan and Clarkson left but they both had to sit out a year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT