ADVERTISEMENT

3-point/Free Throw Shooting

Bill Lowery

ITS Recruiting Analyst
Staff
Sep 29, 2001
I doubt we can keep up the great 3-point and free throw shooting throughout the season but we can hope. After 3 games, we’re #40 in the nation at 40.3% on 3-pointers and 19th, 79.7% on free throws.

If we maintain those percentages we’ll win a bunch of games. In 3-point shooting, Griffin is shooting 10-23, 43.5%, Betson 7-11, 63.6%, Embery-Simpson 5-12, 41.7% and Dalger 5-10, 50%.

In free throw shooting Dalger is 8-10, 80%, Griffin 8-9, 88.9% and Betson 11-13, 84.6%, Gatson-Chapman 8-10, 80%, Selebangue 11-15, 73.3% and Embery-Simpson 3-4, 75%.

I’m really pleased to see our 2 big men Dalger and Selebangue shooting free throws so well, since they most likely will get to the line often.

Job well done last night. I wasn’t able to watch or follow the game due to helping out a friend but I’ll try to watch the game today.

Shooting a high percentage in both areas have definitely been points of emphasis for the staff. It's been mentioned time and again by players during interviews and is certainly paying dividends.

Konkol builds confidence in the players by allowing them to play through their mistakes. None of that crap of 1 mistake and your on the bench. I think he might jerk a player for loafing, but I haven't seen any lazy players on the court yet. That confidence is seen in the shooting percentages that we are seening. Players are more relaxed and wanting to play for Konkol. They seem to really enjoy the new coaching style on both ends of the court.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Konkol builds confidence in the players by allowing them to play through their mistakes. None of that crap of 1 mistake and your on the bench. I think he might jerk a player for loafing, but I haven't seen any lazy players on the court yet. That confidence is seen in the shooting percentages that we are seening. Players are more relaxed and wanting to play for Konkol. They seem to really enjoy the new coaching style on both ends of the court.
The effort is certainly there...no one can fault what they are seeing from that standpoint. The difference in that area from a guy like KES is night and day and I think you get a much more effective version of KES. Now, some of the effort and hustle leads to breakdowns defensively at times as I have seen 2-3 guys chasing the ball down on screens, although I did like the fact that we tried to go over the screen almost every time on the perimeter instead of the Haith trademark of going under and leaving an open 3. The extra energy/effort has also led to some quick and somewhat questionable shot choices...but it's born from guys trying to make plays vs guys trying to pad their stats expecting a loss.

It's just a different mindset out there and you can see the difference in the mindset of the players and the team as a whole. I mean, they almost look like they're enjoying the game again...the wins are a bonus. The only time I think I saw pure joy on our players' faces last season was the half court buzzer beater from Horne.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT