ADVERTISEMENT

Penny and Memphis

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
So Penny just picked up a verbal commitment from the #1 player IN THE COUNTRY! How much is are the UM boosters paying this kid?

Derrick Rose all over again. (to be fair IDK about the kid's academic aptitude, just that there's something fishy going on)

Haith has to recruit better to keep us competitive in years to come. The level we're recruiting at right now isn't going to cut it in years to come... if our goal is to make NCAA tournaments that is.

Derrick Rose all over again. (to be fair IDK about the kid's academic aptitude, just that there's something fishy going on)

Haith has to recruit better to keep us competitive in years to come. The level we're recruiting at right now isn't going to cut it in years to come... if our goal is to make NCAA tournaments that is.
I'm thinking Bryce is an almost must-have right now to remain competitive in the AAC for the next 4-5 years.

Reactions: astonmartin708
Kid played in Memphis. Kid played for Penny. He's a one and done...why not stay close to home and play for a coach you know and trust. Memphis will be favored to win the conference next season. They are going to be good for the foreseeable future.

Interested to continue to watch Penny’s coaching ability.

My initial impressions aren’t overly positive.

He basically rolls the ball out and says “go play really really fast, hectic, and disorganized”.

I'm thinking Bryce is an almost must-have right now to remain competitive in the AAC for the next 4-5 years.
That was my thought as well. Haith better be recruiting him harder than anyone Tulsa has recruited before. If we could sell him on being the beginning of another AAC powerhouse team in what could become a powerhouse conference with Memphis, UConn, Cincy, WSU, and resurgent Houston we might be able to translate his commitment into other bigtime commitments from top 150 level players.

In a way, this could be good news for TU. It signals to recruits (like Bryce) that we are in a legit conference with high-profile players.

In a way, this could be good news for TU. It signals to recruits (like Bryce) that we are in a legit conference with high-profile players.
I'm just worried about Memphis becoming too powerful and making it look like we should be a 1 bid conference like in the C-USA days. With Cincy and UConn in the conference I feel like that's less likely to happen, but still. I'm wary.

I'm just worried about Memphis becoming too powerful and making it look like we should be a 1 bid conference like in the C-USA days. With Cincy and UConn in the conference I feel like that's less likely to happen, but still. I'm wary.
That's not even possible with Uconn and Cincy. Having Memphis in the top 10, if that happens isn't going to stop Uconn or Cincy even if they are only in the top 20. And I think Hurley will be closer to top 10 in a couple of years.

And WSU will be competing with them after he rebuilds this year and maybe next. Just isn't a worry. Duke, Kentucky, Kansas don't hold their conferences back.

The idea that a great team in your conference holds the other teams back is a bill of goods sold by coaches like Wojcik who need an excuse for underachieving.
I agree because he could never win quality OOC games.

I think it will work the opposite with teams raising their levels up to Memphis. That just wasn't possible in C-USA because some of the schools were just not even close. We were easily the next best school in C-USA in terms of overall basketball tradition and being the most recent one (Houston was from the mid-80s and hadn't done anything since) except we got good players and a coach who didn't know what he was doing in the last 5 minutes of close games.

I think Memphis being good, UCONN getting better and the overall AAC being closer to one of the major conferences makes it easier for Tulsa, Houston, Temple to recruit up and get better.

I think it will work the opposite with teams raising their levels up to Memphis. That just wasn't possible in C-USA because some of the schools were just not even close. We were easily the next best school in C-USA in terms of overall basketball tradition and being the most recent one (Houston was from the mid-80s and hadn't done anything since) except we got good players and a coach who didn't know what he was doing in the last 5 minutes of close games.

I think Memphis being good, UCONN getting better and the overall AAC being closer to one of the major conferences makes it easier for Tulsa, Houston, Temple to recruit up and get better.
The real Power 6 !!!

Maybe to a point. Gonzaga has been very good for quite some time but they haven't lifted the recruiting of the other schools in the WCC. It's still largely dependent on the conference schools to hire good coaches who can both recruit and coach. The top schools in the AAC are and will get 4* talent. We need to do the same. OSU landed three top 125 national players in their 2019 class. TU should be able to land one occasionally.

The downside of having an elite team or two in conference is the 3 of 4 guaranteed losses on your schedule which often results from the same.

Maybe to a point. Gonzaga has been very good for quite some time but they haven't lifted the recruiting of the other schools in the WCC. It's still largely dependent on the conference schools to hire good coaches who can both recruit and coach. The top schools in the AAC are and will get 4* talent. We need to do the same. OSU landed three top 125 national players in their 2019 class. TU should be able to land one occasionally.

The downside of having an elite team or two in conference is the 3 of 4 guaranteed losses on your schedule which often results from the same.
I'd disagree somewhat. St. Mary's certainly is an NCAA tourney team 80% of the time now. BYU is also pretty good, San Francisco has been consistently good. The WCC is certainly considered at least a 2-3 bid conference now and a lot of that has to do with Gonzaga's quality and other schools in the conference trying to raise their level to meet that quality.

Reactions: drboobay
I'd disagree somewhat. St. Mary's certainly is an NCAA tourney team 80% of the time now. BYU is also pretty good, San Francisco has been consistently good. The WCC is certainly considered at least a 2-3 bid conference now and a lot of that has to do with Gonzaga's quality and other schools in the conference trying to raise their level to meet that quality.

Isn't St. Mary's good in large part to it's overseas connections and not state side recruiting? I haven't seen BYU improving due to Gonzaga's success. They were good prior and have several built in advantages which helps them compete. San Francisco hasn't been to an NCAA tourney in 20 years :) The Zags' success might help the other schools a bit but I haven't seen a significant change (maybe outside of St. Mary's) in that conference...and St. Mary's is somewhat of a different animal.

The benefits are on a longer time scale. More money, better schedule, more name recognition. You still have to cash them in. I would think an OSU fan would understand the advantages of playing in a conference with successful programs.

The only real success I've seen in my lifetime regarding OSU basketball is due to Eddie Sutton and has very little to do with the Big8 or Big12. Coaching is obviously the single most important factor...by a huge margin. Conference affiliation may help some but in basketball we have seen success again and again due to a great coach despite of the conference affiliation. Where conference affiliation does play a major role is money and being able to retain that great coach.

Football is another story due to the vast differences money can make imo. However, I would argue that football and basketball are different animals.

To keep up with Memphis we're going to need some handlers and ways for you to buy the recruits cars, set their family up with a house and/or a car, and provide tat money.
Lol I didn't say we needed to buy top 50 recruits. I think ( or hope?) you can still get 75-150 without paying them.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
But...with elite talent, he may be able to get away with it...
Dennis Fisher didn’t just roll it out for the fab 5. He coached them up a bit, made them play as a cohesive unit, and made it to the title game. Of course he couldn’t teach Webber to count high enough to know they were out of timeouts.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
And the best college basketball team I’ve ever seen play didn’t win a national championship (actually there’s 2 or 3 of them). 1991 UNLV, 1999 Duke.

This year has a 1999 feel to it. Duke is clearly the best team by a country mile. I’m hoping TU plays like 1999 as well. Let’s just avoid the 8/9 game in Duke’s region.

Interested to continue to watch Penny’s coaching ability.

My initial impressions aren’t overly positive.

He basically rolls the ball out and says “go play really really fast, hectic, and disorganized”.

That is exactly what he is doing. It's why their young guards will make or break them. If they get caught up it will cause them to look like most JC's in style of play.

Sounds like AAU ball.

Which is what his coaching pedigree is, even going so far as to essentially recruit in high school for his state championships. It's also why he has a short time pipeline to some top recruits. This is an all or nothing coaching choice by Memphis. If Penny doesn't cash in on these kids he has connections with he won't likely be getting more and his x & o skills seem dubious to be polite.

The only real success I've seen in my lifetime regarding OSU basketball is due to Eddie Sutton and has very little to do with the Big8 or Big12. Coaching is obviously the single most important factor...by a huge margin. Conference affiliation may help some but in basketball we have seen success again and again due to a great coach despite of the conference affiliation. Where conference affiliation does play a major role is money and being able to retain that great coach.

Football is another story due to the vast differences money can make imo. However, I would argue that football and basketball are different animals.

The difference is in the number. Three or four programs capable of reaching power status creates critical mass for other schools. Tulsa has only ever been in one conference with that sort of set up, the Super Wac. Even it isn't much of a comparison to what the current AAC has bubbling. Their are 7 programs with strong basketball history and recent performance with Tulsa probably low on the list.

National Programs
UConn
Cincy
Memphis

Top level programs
Temple
Wichita
Houston
Tulsa

All of those schools have made multiple runs in the NCAA. Those schools will push each other through regular competition and drag a few other conference schools along just on momentum.

In the end it all comes down to the quality of your coach. Even the elite programs will struggle when a below average coach is in charge. Of course they can generally attract a more proven coach when the need to hire one comes around. Haith is going to need to recruit better to compete with that upper tier imo.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Just bumped into the entire Memphis team tonight in Orlando

Fwiw I bumped into the entire Loyola team on way down at airport

Loyola is bigger

I was trying to find a guide that ranked AAC basketball recruiting classes by team and year, and came up blank. I did find this, which lists the top recruits by school since 2000 (as of 2016). Given the impact one or two players can have in basketball, it seems like a decent proxy:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...every-school-in-american-athletic-conference/

Question for the long time fans here:

When Tulsa basketball was in its heyday, were we winning on the court because we were winning the recruiting battles over our primary competition, or was it something else? Coaching, player development, JUCO guys, putting together a good all around team, finding overlooked guys?

Just my 2 cents:

We had a string of great coaches who could evaluate high school and juco talent and then develop the same when they arrived on campus. We would win our share of recruiting battles but evaluation, development, and coaching were the key.

Question for the long time fans here:

When Tulsa basketball was in its heyday, were we winning on the court because we were winning the recruiting battles over our primary competition, or was it something else? Coaching, player development, JUCO guys, putting together a good all around team, finding overlooked guys?

It terms of players, it was finding the hidden gems. Very few of our highly ranked recruits really did anything outside of Nolan’s guys.

Coaching and player development were key though.

We had players improving every year, Nolan through through Buzz, sans maybe Barnett’s years.

Small schools don’t make the Sweet 16, Elite 8, FF, or NC game with 4/5 star guys. They do it with coaching, player development, and recruiting in terms of hidden gems and bringing in players that fit your style of play and have the right variations of attitudes that allow them to create chemistry.

I agree, great coaching and finding those players who others don’t want or can’t find. Guys like Pooh and Coley weren’t big time recruits but were big time players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT