ADVERTISEMENT

Owen Ostroski

pissed off TU fan maybe.

- constantly losing football program
- severe revenue shortfall
- embarrassing public academic battle

maybe others just need to start expecting more out of the people that run this joint.
Seems like you are supporting the wrong program. You want us to be all the things we've never been.

Seems like you are supporting the wrong program. You want us to be all the things we've never been.
If those are the expectations, then we have been all of those things.

At several periods of the Universities existence we’ve had a winning program.

The University has previously been on solid financial footing until recently, and the blanket disenfranchisement of donors certainly didn’t happen, and allowed for quick influxes as needed.

If there were academic issues that arose, none as significant as the recent battle to make us a vocational school, we didn’t air that dirty laundry for all to see and adjustments weren’t going to fundamentally change the foundation of the University.

If we’re expecting the ship to be right in those areas, then I’m on board too and I’m sure most on this board are as well.

Todd is a jerk. He won’t be a Hawaii long.
Let’s see how he rolls out his new “Social Distance” Defense before we give him credit for another “High Octane” Offense success story.

If those are the expectations, then we have been all of those things.

At several periods of the Universities existence we’ve had a winning program.

The University has previously been on solid financial footing until recently, and the blanket disenfranchisement of donors certainly didn’t happen, and allowed for quick influxes as needed.

If there were academic issues that arose, none as significant as the recent battle to make us a vocational school, we didn’t air that dirty laundry for all to see and adjustments weren’t going to fundamentally change the foundation of the University.

If we’re expecting the ship to be right in those areas, then I’m on board too and I’m sure most on this board are as well.
i was speaking to the very specific and the very general. On the academic issue, (which was the very specific) we have always had academic issues similar to this one. Sometimes we kept it out of the media, and sometimes we didn't. But yes the general funding of the university as a whole has never been in this bad of a situation. They have never made such drastic changes to the universities academic structure, no matter whether it was/or wasn't to deal with monetary problems. I don't disagree with you about that at all. It just wasn't addressing what I was talking about.

Reactions: rusty-c
saw where we offered Drummond. a troll might say that the free web board was doing someone's work for them? I'm SURE our coaches were on the kid before you guys started posting about him.

If he comes here, I'll give him the love and hope he kicks some rear.

Owen has committed to Army. Never a Tulsa offer. What an absolute miss by Montgomery and his coaching staff.

You'd have to assume there's a reason they didn't offer. Maybe the kid always wanted to join the army?

I’ll give you the reason they didn’t offer: Incompetence.
I seriously doubt that. A football coach isn't going to just overlook a kid who's related to one of his coworkers, who's also a famous form NFL alumni. I don't care how bad of a coach you are, that just doesn't happen.... Even if you think Monty himself is incompetent, a guy like Gillespie has been pretty good at recruiting and evaluating talent and I'm sure he has the green light to offer who he wants.

Reactions: TU Guy
I had heard that Owen really wanted to attend one of the service academies and then serve his country. I have a great deal of respect for young men and women that make this commitment. It is not an easy road and the athletic competition is secondary to other requirements.

Whether TU recruited him or not I don’t know. Perhaps they did but he wanted to take the military path or maybe he had other concerns (e.g. who will be the HC for most of my career).

i always cheer for the Academies except when they play TU. Best wishes to Owen and his family.

I had heard that Owen really wanted to attend one of the service academies and then serve his country. I have a great deal of respect for young men and women that make this commitment. It is not an easy road and the athletic competition is secondary to other requirements.

Whether TU recruited him or not I don’t know. Perhaps they did but he wanted to take the military path or maybe he had other concerns (e.g. who will be the HC for most of my career).

i always cheer for the Academies except when they play TU. Best wishes to Owen and his family.

I wish he would have gone with Navy if service was the primary reason, kid is special would have been nice to watch him grow in the AAC.

However I chalk this up to just more Monty, hopefully just two more ass whuppings away from a change. With MWC and MAC not playing maybe we could find a coach before the end of this season and get a head start on the rebuild. Honestly though some of those sunbelt coaches are getting it going. Louisiana has quite a coach.

With MWC and MAC not playing maybe we could find a coach before the end of this season and get a head start on the rebuild.
CHeck this...MWC is now reconsidering whether or not they will play. 8 game season on the board but it is still possible individual schools in the conference (i.e. Fresno and San Jose St) may not play.

Nice hit piece from Haisten on this subject in the Tulsa World. He talks like TU completely missed or didn't want Owen. How do you miss a kid who's father literally works for the athletic department and was one of the greatest players at your university? He could have just went and asked Jerry about the situation instead of publicly bashing on TU.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
CHeck this...MWC is now reconsidering whether or not they will play. 8 game season on the board but it is still possible individual schools in the conference (i.e. Fresno and San Jose St) may not play.

The PAC and MWC both have natural disasters and state regulations that will prevent them from playing.

We have a similar issue with Temple right now in the AAC. The MW and PAC California schools may be out of time out in October for Covid, but Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Idaho, and California are also on fire.

Agree with Hurricane Drummer!
so tired of Haisten bashing TU.
Do we know for sure that there wasn’t a conversation regarding Owen
maybe Haisten needs to move to Norman.....

The PAC and MWC both have natural disasters and state regulations that will prevent them from playing.

We have a similar issue with Temple right now in the AAC. The MW and PAC California schools may be out of time out in October for Covid, but Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Idaho, and California are also on fire.
I'm just going off a news report released yesterday after the B1G announced they had caved to pressure from POTUS and potential lawsuits

Reactions: TU4ever2
Oh yes.....none of the players wanted to play, but the bad orange man is making them against their will.
Sometimes the best interest of a body of people isn’t necessarily what they want. If you honestly think this change was made because the PLAYERS wanted to play you’re delusional. The change was made because the schools’ admins wanted them to play.

Reactions: TU Sepp
I seriously doubt that. A football coach isn't going to just overlook a kid who's related to one of his coworkers, who's also a famous form NFL alumni. I don't care how bad of a coach you are, that just doesn't happen.... Even if you think Monty himself is incompetent, a guy like Gillespie has been pretty good at recruiting and evaluating talent and I'm sure he has the green light to offer who he wants.

Not to prove you wrong, but Dave Rader refused to offer a scholarship to Wes Hamilton's son Ben. Rader told Wes that Ben was not D1 material. Minnesota thought otherwise and offered. Minnesota offered late as they thought Ben was going to TU as his dad and uncle both played there and TU was Ben's #1 choice. Ben went on to have a nice career with the Denver Broncos.

Oh yes.....none of the players wanted to play, but the bad orange man is making them against their will.
Never said that, but the B1G presidents weren't budging until threatened by POTUS searching for votes in places like Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Guarantee within the week he takes full credit for that since he's got nothing else and he's killed 200k people

Sometimes the best interest of a body of people isn’t necessarily what they want. If you honestly think this change was made because the PLAYERS wanted to play you’re delusional. The change was made because the schools’ admins wanted them to play.
The people who control the money wanted them to play whether it be the admins, the TV folks tired of showing Sun Belt games on network TV, or the boosters who probably threatened to withhold millions. Waiting for Wisconsin to have to shut down their entire athletic program due to COVID because the people in that state are out of control and so is their infection rate.

Reactions: HuffyCane
The people who control the money wanted them to play whether it be the admins, the TV folks tired of showing Sun Belt games on network TV, or the boosters who probably threatened to withhold millions. Waiting for Wisconsin to have to shut down their entire athletic program due to COVID because the people in that state are out of control and so is their infection rate.

Michigan St will probably get there first, apparently there are already large parts of their housing on total lockdown.

Never fully understood the football argument when the students are on campus. One would figure football players under a strict protocol would be less likely to become infected than the general student body who aren’t required to adhere to such mitigation procedures.

Never fully understood the football argument when the students are on campus. One would figure football players under a strict protocol would be less likely to become infected than the general student body who aren’t required to adhere to such mitigation procedures.
Never fully understood people who think football players just sit in their rooms all day and only hang out with eachother. Football players are just as likely to get infected as the rest of the student body... the only difference is they get tested more often so we can see when they are infected. Do you honestly believe that out of 100 (ish) players on a team, that 0 of them are seeing their girlfriends this entire semester?

Never fully understood people who think football players just sit in their rooms all day and only hang out with eachother. Football players are just as likely to get infected as the rest of the student body... the only difference is they get tested more often so we can see when they are infected. Do you honestly believe that out of 100 (ish) players on a team, that 0 of them are seeing their girlfriends this entire semester?

Who said anything about football players sitting in their rooms all day? Now most our isolated in separate housing where their activities are closely monitored. They are under strict rules as to what they can and cannot do regarding groups and social gatherings. In the Big10 they are being tested everyday. Those are just some of the differences between them and the student body. In fact, we have a new offensive lineman from down the turnpike directly due to the rules players are under. Why are these differences difficult to grasp for some ? If these measures make even a 1% difference they are technically safer due to being under the protocol required by the AD

Reactions: HuffyCane
Who said anything about football players sitting in their rooms all day? Now most our isolated in separate housing where their activities are closely monitored. They are under strict rules as to what they can and cannot do regarding groups and social gatherings. In the Big10 they are being tested everyday. Those are just some of the differences between them and the student body. In fact, we have a new offensive lineman from down the turnpike directly due to the rules players are under. Why are these differences difficult to grasp for some ? If these measures make even a 1% difference they are technically safer due to being under the protocol required by the AD
Safer is a relative term due to the heart complications that the virus causes. Most people who are infected aren't expected to perform strenuous cardiovascular activities. So, while it might matter less to some of the students on campus, a positive infection for a player matters a great deal. Are each of the players who have tested positive given heart exams after having been cleared?

Safer is a relative term due to the heart complications that the virus causes. Most people who are infected aren't expected to perform strenuous cardiovascular activities. So, while it might matter less to some of the students on campus, a positive infection for a player matters a great deal. Are each of the players who have tested positive given heart exams after having been cleared?

In the Big10 they are. Not sure about the other conferences. Students certainly aren't being tested for heart enlargements. Many of whom while not competing in D1 athletics are very active with strenuous exercise. Another reason why football players would be safer than the student body at large.

To date there have been no significant issues with players in college or the NFL who have tested positive practicing or playing btw.

In the Big10 they are. Not sure about the other conferences. Students certainly aren't being tested for heart enlargements. Many of whom while not competing in D1 athletics are very active with strenuous exercise. Another reason why football players would be safer than the student body at large.

To date there have been no significant issues with players in college or the NFL who have tested positive practicing or playing btw.
You can't compare a run on the treadmill in the gym to football practice and you know it. I'm sure in the bigger conferences / pro leagues they've been very careful about this, but I doubt a program like Arky State has the excess cash to give specialized cardiac checkups to each player who tests positive (considering it's something like half their team).

Would anyone really be shocked to have one or more of these kids die on the field or in practice this season due to complications from this illness? I would not.

Remember when Brian Kelly got in so much trouble for that kid dying on a scissor lift in high winds? Imagine that fiasco on a much grander scale.

You can't compare a run on the treadmill in the gym to football practice and you know it. I'm sure in the bigger conferences / pro leagues they've been very careful about this, but I doubt a program like Arky State has the excess cash to give specialized cardiac checkups to each player who tests positive (considering it's something like half their team).

Would anyone really be shocked to have one or more of these kids die on the field or in practice this season due to complications from this illness? I would not.

Remember when Brian Kelly got in so much trouble for that kid dying on a scissor lift in high winds? Imagine that fiasco on a much grander scale.

I'm not sure the guys you went to college with but my buddies were running half marathons, fighting amateur and professionally, wrestling intramurals, rugby, soccer, etc.... Maybe not to the extent of D1 ball but still significant strenuous activities. What's worse is most college kids (except for football players being tested daily or multiple times a week) will never know they were infected. I'll take the kids being regularly tested and looked after 247 by medical professionals as being safer any day of the week.

I would be surprised if a D1 player died on the field or in practice as a result of covid. Keep in mind we have several athletes die every year during practices from various things such as enlarged hearts, etc... We're likely at the point now where well over 100,000 kids and young adults have been infected. Thousands upon thousands of these kids and young have participated in strenuous activities since April. To date we have had zero deaths due to such activities. More of these people have been killed driving to and from school, workouts, etc...than from working out post covid. The threat while not zero is hugely overblown. One look at the data thus far tells us as much.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
I'm not sure the guys you went to college with but my buddies were running half marathons, fighting amateur and professionally, wrestling intramurals, rugby, soccer, etc.... Maybe not to the extent of D1 ball but still significant strenuous activities. What's worse is most college kids (except for football players being tested daily or multiple times a week) will never know they were infected. I'll take the kids being regularly tested and looked after 247 by medical professionals as being safer any day of the week.

I would be surprised if a D1 player died on the field or in practice as a result of covid. Keep in mind we have several athletes die every year during practices from various things such as enlarged hearts, etc... We're likely at the point now where well over 100,000 kids and young adults have been infected. Thousands upon thousands of these kids and young have participated in strenuous activities since April. To date we have had zero deaths due to such activities. More of these people have been killed driving to and from school, workouts, etc...than from working out post covid. The threat while not zero is hugely overblown. One look at the data thus far tells us as much.

The same sorts of arguments that people used trying to convince me a few months ago that this was just the flu. And then a few months later that everyone shouldn’t be required to wear a mask.

What I can’t wait for (sarcasm) is for these college kids and players to return home for the winter break. It’s going to be a super spreading event as students give it to their family members.
Btw, an infinitesimally small portion of students do the level of activity you’re talking about at TU. Most lift weights and run. With the occasional low level intramural (which I’m sure have been canceled) thrown in. Intramural wrestling and fighting basically isn’t a thing to 99% of the students. I’m not even sure I saw many people doing long distance running while there. Usually 5 or 10K’s. Not typically half marathons.

Since those football players are being tested multiple times a week the people they’re around during Xmas break will be infinitely safer than those around ordinary students. Yet another reason to support college football and the protocols they have in place.

I attended college in the “old” days but at least half of the 80 or so guys I lived with regularly did those activities which I listed. I personally fought and wrestled. Ran the least amount possible for those activities because a detest running.

Someome take aston off the cliff!! He is too scared to go outside his house!

Brandon Lohr was another local kid who was "undersized". 6', 250, defensive lineman.
I think we were all happy with Shawn Jackson and Brandon Lohr.

None of this has anything to do with politics or safety. It’s about money. They have gaping holes in their budgets, no revenue stream to fill them, and other schools are doing just fine with it. If a 3A high school in a hot spot can play with testing and no infections, why should Ohio State lose $100 million? Secondarily, they don’t want to cripple their programs for a decade retiring that debt and let the ACC and SEC get even further ahead. Finally, football feeds Title IX. They can no more afford to not play than TU. If they don’t play, there’s no extra cash for the girl’s bowling team. And that means lawsuits. Either now or later as they try to recover.

Reactions: TU Man

Key word: Yet.

Waiting for the first Hank Gathers type of incident during a game while on national TV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT