ADVERTISEMENT

Owen Ostroski

TulsaFan2000

I.T.S. Sophomore
Jan 6, 2019

Graham just offered him. Now he has offers from Hawaii, Navy and Army without an offer from Tulsa. Honestly Ostroski should have been offered and committed his sophomore year. He’s a great recruit and the son of a TU legend who works at the university. It makes no sense that Tulsa hasn’t offered him yet.

Monty and his defensive staff need to make it happen. F Graham.
I can’t blame Graham for trying to recruit the Tulsa area. Especially with how poor of a job Montgomery is doing at recruiting it. Hopefully we get our act together and actually can keep track of our local talent and actually offer them.

Reactions: Original TULSAFAN
I thought I saw where he was scheduled to come to a TU junior day. So I assumed they were waiting til he came on campus to offer him. Could be mistaken though.

Maybe we have a David Alexander, Jake Alexander ending. That would be good for Tulsa football.

Owen will make what he thinks is best decision for himself.

Go Tulsa!

Reactions: 4tu2
I thought I saw where he was scheduled to come to a TU junior day. So I assumed they were waiting til he came on campus to offer him. Could be mistaken though.
March 7th I think was when he was supposed to do the junior day.

Jake didn’t have a ton of D1 options at a higher level from what I remember. But that kid gave every last ounce of energy and his body to TU.

Owen is a player. Straight up impact player. Can play multiple positions. Can even put him in on offense to block from a TE position. And he is as strong as a freaking OX!

Reactions: Hurricane Drummer
March 7th I think was when he was supposed to do the junior day.

Jake didn’t have a ton of D1 options at a higher level from what I remember. But that kid gave every last ounce of energy and his body to TU.

Owen is a player. Straight up impact player. Can play multiple positions. Can even put him in on offense to block from a TE position. And he is as strong as a freaking OX!
J.A.: Colorado, Iowa St., Louisville, LSU, Texas A&M, Michigan St, and Tulsa all offered.

Reactions: el duran and TUMU
Owen Ostroski is picking up D1 offers weekly. New Mexico is the latest. I don’t get why he does not have an offer from TU???

It mind boggling really.
We should have offered last summer when we hired Jerry. It's not like you couldn't see that Owen was a true D1 player with some versatility to where he can line up (edge/DE, OLB, ILB). Honestly when I watch Owen on the defensive side of the ball, I see a lot of similarities to Shawn Jackson with speed, size, strength (Owen can lift a freaking car)...and most of all, good football instincts. And Owen plays with the same dirt dog attitude his dad played with. We've missed the boat in a big way by being so far behind the curve UNLESS Monty and Jerry just have an agreement that Owen will walk on here to save the scholarship. But I think Jerry knows Monty likely won't be here by the time Owen comes on campus.

It's absolutely ridiculous we've not offered a kid who is being offered by schools we're competing against for recruits.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
We should have offered last summer when we hired Jerry. It's not like you couldn't see that Owen was a true D1 player with some versatility to where he can line up (edge/DE, OLB, ILB). Honestly when I watch Owen on the defensive side of the ball, I see a lot of similarities to Shawn Jackson with speed, size, strength (Owen can lift a freaking car)...and most of all, good football instincts. And Owen plays with the same dirt dog attitude his dad played with. We've missed the boat in a big way by being so far behind the curve UNLESS Monty and Jerry just have an agreement that Owen will walk on here to save the scholarship. But I think Jerry knows Monty likely won't be here by the time Owen comes on campus.

It's absolutely ridiculous we've not offered a kid who is being offered by schools we're competing against for recruits.
It is just more evidence to the fact that Montgomery ignores the Tulsa area.

J.A.: Colorado, Iowa St., Louisville, LSU, Texas A&M, Michigan St, and Tulsa all offered.

Since some of you apparently are too lazy to read all of this thread, I’ll do your work for you.

That's right. Aren't we arguing the past here? What year is this anyway?

I think it’s great Owen has a lot of choices. He may have made it known to all involved he wants to weigh his options before deciding what’s best for him.

By having Tulsa offer early, it may scare programs off who will undoubtedly know of his connection to the program. Opportunities he might have had might be closed off for him.

A good example of this is Clint Trickett. Clint’s father was an Oline coach at FSU and very well connected in the coaching faith community. Clint had a number of opportunities early in his recruiting, including Tulsa, due to Coach Malzahn and Coach Hand. Arkansas and a few other big names offered, but as FSU’s numbers game played down, they eventually offered Clint, and the other offers pretty much dried up. He committed a little while after that. He was a back up that played due to injury, including the loss against OU. He eventually transferred to get playing time at WVU where his father’s family is from and where they had connections in the program. Had FSU not offered, he might have had more (and better) opportunities to play. He’s OC now at FAU and iyam, a short lister for any opening at Tulsa in either OC or HC.

So let’s trust in the process, the program, and most importantly, his parents, to make a decision that is best for him long term. There’s a really good chance Tulsa not offering is a well reasoned, well justified decision that is in the best interests of both him and our program’s chances of actually landing him. Personally, I think he has talents beyond Tulsa. I hope he wants to play here for his parents anyway.

There were reasons for listing old news. J. Alexander was listed as hope, justifiction, comparison whatever. Due to forgetfulness someone tried to invalidate comparison, then I listed the reason to compare them.

Espn has constantly had the football draft up in headlines cuz it's the only thing going on in sports, since early march. Why is this being poo poohed as subject matter when we don't have a whole helluva a lot going on in sports, regardless if the rationale is correct or not. You could chastise the poster for making the incorrect point about J.A., but then you would be eliminating 1/2 of the posters posting. Cuz almost everybody makes an invalid point due to sketchy memory.

Reactions: HuffyCane
There were reasons for listing old news. J. Alexander was listed as hope, justifiction, comparison whatever. Due to forgetfulness someone tried to invalidate comparison, then I listed the reason to compare them.

Espn has constantly had the football draft up in headlines cuz it's the only thing going on in sports, since early march. Why is this being poo poohed as subject matter when we don't have a whole helluva a lot going on in sports, regardless if the rationale is correct or not. You could chastise the poster for making the incorrect point about J.A., but then you would be eliminating 1/2 of the posters posting. Cuz almost everybody makes an invalid point due to sketchy memory.
I admitted I failed to recall the recruiting hype of Jake. For some reason I just always assumed he was coming to TU due to his familial connection here. I don't think I was on this board or any previous board at that time so I definitely didn't pay much attention to online chatter about TU recruiting. I simply didn't realize he had that many P5 offers.

I admitted I failed to recall the recruiting hype of Jake. For some reason I just always assumed he was coming to TU due to his familial connection here. I don't think I was on this board or any previous board at that time so I definitely didn't pay much attention to online chatter about TU recruiting. I simply didn't realize he had that many P5 offers.

That's right. Aren't we arguing the past here? What year is this anyway?
I wasn't coming down on you for it. I was just commenting on '78's comment on why I was arguing the past. It somewhat related to the future. I'm in the middle of rewatching 'Eureka' for the first time since it aired. So all this past/present/future is all related for me right now. Was actually a pretty damn decent show, now that I'm watching it for the second time. They had a Christmas special that was pretty magical.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I think it’s great Owen has a lot of choices. He may have made it known to all involved he wants to weigh his options before deciding what’s best for him.

By having Tulsa offer early, it may scare programs off who will undoubtedly know of his connection to the program. Opportunities he might have had might be closed off for him.

A good example of this is Clint Trickett. Clint’s father was an Oline coach at FSU and very well connected in the coaching faith community. Clint had a number of opportunities early in his recruiting, including Tulsa, due to Coach Malzahn and Coach Hand. Arkansas and a few other big names offered, but as FSU’s numbers game played down, they eventually offered Clint, and the other offers pretty much dried up. He committed a little while after that. He was a back up that played due to injury, including the loss against OU. He eventually transferred to get playing time at WVU where his father’s family is from and where they had connections in the program. Had FSU not offered, he might have had more (and better) opportunities to play. He’s OC now at FAU and iyam, a short lister for any opening at Tulsa in either OC or HC.

So let’s trust in the process, the program, and most importantly, his parents, to make a decision that is best for him long term. There’s a really good chance Tulsa not offering is a well reasoned, well justified decision that is in the best interests of both him and our program’s chances of actually landing him. Personally, I think he has talents beyond Tulsa. I hope he wants to play here for his parents anyway.
So your saying we have a back door strategy to land this kid? Lets not offer early, let him stack up D1 offers and swoop in late with the coveted offer from TU?

Once again, this is mid boggling to me.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
I wasn't coming down on you for it. I was just commenting on '78's comment on why I was arguing the past. It somewhat related to the future. I'm in the middle of rewatching 'Eureka' for the first time since it aired. So all this past/present/future is all related for me right now. Was actually a pretty damn decent show, now that I'm watching it for the second time. They had a Christmas special that was pretty magical.
Well I apologize for the confusion on my part. During day 499 of quarantine I broke my glasses and didn’t see the “J.A” at the beginning of the line and thought this was the list of schools for Owen. So you can ignore whatever I said because it’s obviously wrong.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
So your saying we have a back door strategy to land this kid? Lets not offer early, let him stack up D1 offers and swoop in late with the coveted offer from TU?

Once again, this is mid boggling to me.
No I’m saying there’s no strategy to be had, the kid is talented enough to go where he wants. Respect that.

I totally respect the fact the kid has D1 talent and the opportunity to go anywhere he wants. What I don’t understand is Tulsa Footballs recruiting strategy???
I’m not saying that’s it. It’s one of several plausible scenarios. There are others I won’t share here. I do think we should give TU and his parents a break here.

I totally respect the fact the kid has D1 talent and the opportunity to go anywhere he wants. What I don’t understand is Tulsa Footballs recruiting strategy???
And exactly all the more reason why we should have been the 1st to offer him. He's local, his dad is a celebrated and noted alum of the school who is heavily involved in the program and given the program more than just money over the years (remember, Jerry O is the one who basically got the program turned around to where we expect winning teams again with his recommendation of Kragthorpe). Even if he is a marginal D1 player, you offer SOMETHING

With things being so tumultuous and the coaching staff definitely on the hot seat, does Jerry want his kid playing at TU? Does his son want to play at TU? Graham is a proven winner at every level........Monty not!!!!!!!!......If I’m Jerry’s kid, I wait until right before the season starts to see if other bigger schools make an offer and if not commit to Hawaii. Good news is even without an offer he can go to school free at TU no matter what thanks to his fathers employment.

I am not in the know but will be shocked if he goes to Hawaii. I really doubt Todd will be there for four years so going there to play for him is gamble. If I were guessing it will be a service academy or possibly TU.

I am not in the know but will be shocked if he goes to Hawaii. I really doubt Todd will be there for four years so going there to play for him is gamble. If I were guessing it will be a service academy or possibly TU.
I sure the hell hope he takes an official visit on their dime, has to be the best free trip on the recruit circuit.

Todd is a jerk. He won’t be a Hawaii long.

If Jerry is an employee, his kid gets tuition paid for...thus there is no need to extend or waste a scholarship on Owen.

That said, he better darn sure be recruited, because I'd rather have a spot or two spent on a local kid than a kid from far off we are taking a chance on.

Reactions: noble cane
If Jerry is an employee, his kid gets tuition paid for...thus there is no need to extend or waste a scholarship on Owen.

That said, he better darn sure be recruited, because I'd rather have a spot or two spent on a local kid than a kid from far off we are taking a chance on.
You are assuming that the tuition program continues as a benefit for employees. My understanding is that program is one of many potential cost cutting measures being considered for implementation in the fall.

I disagree. Free tuition is a great benefit, but what about room, board, books, etc? He has to pay for that so we don’t waste a scholarship on him? Being offered a full ride means you are wanted and worthy of the offer. Not being offered that communicates something else IMO. If he’s good enough. Offer.

Speaking of a 2021 recruit, here's another one. It seems we are recruiting Bryce Drummond from Pawhuska, after, I think, he has verballed to NoTx. Having his Momma at Skelly might help our attendance with her fans that are many times more numerous than TU fans. Oh, & BTW-her son the size & a cannon for an arm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4tu2
Speaking of a 2021 recruit, here's another one. It seems we are recruiting Bryce Drummond from Pawhuska, after, I think, he has verballed to NoTx. Having his Momma at Skelly might help our attendance with her fans that are many times more numerous than TU fans. Oh, & BTW-her son the size & a cannon for an arm.

I've seen him play a couple of times. IMO he needs to go to North Texas if they have given him an offer. He seems to be a good kid from what I have heard.

You are assuming that the tuition program continues as a benefit for employees. My understanding is that program is one of many potential cost cutting measures being considered for implementation in the fall.
To me that appears to be of greater use(a benefit that does not entail a great deal of cost) than it is a liability for TU. It seems they are considering cost cutting actions that cut off the nose to spite the face.

I've seen him play a couple of times. IMO he needs to go to North Texas if they have given him an offer. He seems to be a good kid from what I have heard.
You say a number of things that make me question whether you are a TU fan. This is not something I've noticed just in one or two posts. Troll?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT