ADVERTISEMENT

ORU situation finally a hot seat ?

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Rumblings from the south about the basketball program sinking and attendance in free fall. The new administration may finally have Sutton fatigue. I think a change might put a spark back in a once proud program and be good for Tulsa the City and the University of Tulsa.

Reactions: TU 1978
Their problem is they won't find anyone more loyal. I imagine there could be an interesting list of candidates looking for redemption. Buzz Peterson or Doug Wojcik? We could only hope.

They should hire a young assistant or someone like David Cason. Jeremy Ballard? Steve Woodberry?

I still don't see it happening. But you never know. And like they want my input.

Last edited:
Man, that's hard to say. Sutton has been loyal to ORU, I'd hate to see them fire him. He has also done fairly well at ORU... but the last 5 years have been a downward slide, and this year appears to be a dumpster fire.

If this article is to be believed, and Sutton is making $467k a year in 2014, then if I were an ORU fan I'd probably want a change. For a long time Sutton was paid near the bottom of the barrel, while ~$500k certainly isn't the top of the NCAA... it isn't a bargain for sub 20 win seasons either.
http://acuoptimist.com/2014/02/financial-stakes-rise-with-move-to-div-i/

It's a lot of money at that school. I honestly hope they figure it out. It just seems like they lost a lot of momentum when they switched back to the Summit and about the time Sutton publicly campaigned for the TU job.

David Cason. Jeremy Ballard? Steve Woodberry?

They could hire one of those guys. They have a phenomenal season or two there. Haith leaves and we hire one of them? It'd be like Self Redux

Shhhhh . . .

And don't mention "transfer." Sore subject over there. Speaking of which, You can watch Jeffries' games on the Western Texas web site. He's a man among boys.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Why did they give up on the Southland conference?

I think it was a really heavy football league and they don't play football. Also, they kept getting beat by Stephen F. Austin. I'd say travel costs but I don't think they are that much worse than the Summit.

That 'university' has been in the toilet for some time. They'll probably give up athletic programs in the near future.

Actually, much to the chagrin of some of you, ORU is in the best place it has been financially since the mid-80's. So, no strip mall or strip club filling the space at 81st & Lewis in the near future.

As far as the athletic programs, men's basketball especially, we definitely have fallen on hard times. That said, one or two recruits (like Caleb Green and Ken Tutt), could immediately change our fortune. But, that is much easier said than done...

Actually, much to the chagrin of some of you, ORU is in the best place it has been financially since the mid-80's. .

When you dropped out of D1, sold the law school, and closed the City of Faith? The good ole days . . .

Sure. Seriously though, good luck with this. Sutton is a good guy and I hope he gets this turned around.

That said, if TU wins at Memphis, we officially sweep the Voice sweepstakes this year. We should get special recognition or free donuts or something.

Actually, much to the chagrin of some of you, ORU is in the best place it has been financially since the mid-80's. So, no strip mall or strip club filling the space at 81st & Lewis in the near future.
This is accurate...

It might be in great shape, but the 80's as a benchmark is problematic. "But Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

Can someone dial up caleb green for a comeback? They would be a lot better if they could get Sean back on the blow, pills and JD.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT