ADVERTISEMENT

Official Rice Game Thread

So you’re saying this staff is coaching the players to be a better team than the individual talent
People at the Tulsa World just really think we should copy whatever OU does and it’ll work. Just hire the re-treads and guys that were pretty good at OU and just maybe TU can compare. Turns out in theory that concept is a failure and just done so we can always stay little brother to OU.

We should’ve hired a coach with upside and potential like GJ, Joseph Gillespie or Brennan Marion. Any of them would’ve been an upgrade. If you want to be a great program you have to take a gamble. Not hire a failed CFB HC just because he held Bob Stoops clipboard back in the day
He did a good job at Indiana. My goodness the dramatic bs in this post. Our recruiting class coming in is ridiculously good. Just stop.

I think the reality of this year's squad became clear last night for the first time To this point the type of opponent, specific injuries, monsoon weather, etc had obscured what we had.

I for one was given a rude awakening and, like I have said, worry for the future of our program due to the shifts occurring in the college football landscape. Now is the time we need to be good not three years down the road.

So not saying Wilson sucks. Just seeing the reality of where we are right now finally and it is a bummer and a half.

I think the reality of this year's squad became clear last night for the first time To this point the type of opponent, specific injuries, monsoon weather, etc had obscured what we had.

I for one was given a rude awakening and, like I have said, worry for the future of our program due to the shifts occurring in the college football landscape. Now is the time we need to be good not three years down the road.

So not saying Wilson sucks. Just seeing the reality of where we are right now finally and it is a bummer and a half.
We should have canned Monty a couple of three years ago. Alas, we had the wrong interim people in charge to make that call.

We should have canned Monty a couple of three years ago. Alas, we had the wrong interim people in charge to make that call.
Yes. We really need to be playing at the competitive level of Tulane,, SMU or even Memphis right now. Raising our level of competitiveness a few years down the line might be too late to matter. Not giving up on Wilson just saying sadly "looks like he cannot do it fast enough to matter."

Hoping very much that I am way off base. I was under the impression that cleaning up Montgomery's consistent foibles would have made more of a difference this season.

Reactions: TulsaAM
He didnt get a good recruiting year and had position coach issues. When he got here he needed to keep as many players as possible. Same sort of thing that Konkol had to do. Konkol has change out the whole team except for two people so lets see what that does for us in basketball. Maybe this is his evaluating year of who he has so he can recruit and hit the portal for what he feels he needs to win. I was pretty hopefull about Braxton to start the season and then when he went down I was hopeful with Williams. Braxton made me start to believe agian and then I dont know what happened with Rice. We are getting the same play that we had with monty.

But hey! Basketball is two weeks away.

He didnt get a good recruiting year and had position coach issues. When he got here he needed to keep as many players as possible. Same sort of thing that Konkol had to do. Konkol has change out the whole team except for two people so lets see what that does for us in basketball. Maybe this is his evaluating year of who he has so he can recruit and hit the portal for what he feels he needs to win. I was pretty hopefull about Braxton to start the season and then when he went down I was hopeful with Williams. Braxton made me start to believe agian and then I dont know what happened with Rice. We are getting the same play that we had with monty.

Montys recruiting classes were routinely bottom of the barrel in conference, THATs what’s showing up.

You do realize that it’s possible that it may not be recruiting thats the root cause of the problem for Konkol or for Wilson right?

I’m not saying that’s a definitive statement…. But it’s in the realm of feasibility. With Konkol it’s probably less likely because he built a decent program at his last stop. But anyone who argues Wilson did well at Indiana (even against non Big 10 teams) needs to do some research.

Wilson let (or encouraged) a 3,000 yard passer walk out the door in favor of what we saw last night. Where does the buck stop?

Last edited:
We’re not playing the same conference. These are CUSA teams…. Even Monty’s recruits should have been able to stand up.
All of the good monty recruits like our WRs last year are basically gone. Monty’s recruits were abysmal save for a few. One of our main problems is QB.

All of the good monty recruits like our WRs last year are basically gone. Monty’s recruits were abysmal save for a few. One of our main problems is QB.
Regardless, Wilson’s class coming in is leaps and bounds better than anything Monty ever dreamed of bringing in.

You do realize that it’s possible that it may not be recruiting thats the root cause of the problem for Konkol or for Wilson right?

I’m not saying that’s a definitive statement…. But it’s in the realm of feasibility. With Konkol it’s probably less likely because he built a decent program at his last stop. But anyone who argues Wilson did well at Indiana (even against non Big 10 teams) needs to do some research.

Wilson let (or encouraged) a 3,000 yard passer walk out the door in favor of what we saw last night. Where does the buck stop?
That is always a possibility. But since both coaches came in late in the recruiting cycle and they both needed a team to put in the court or field they are using someone else’s players. Konkol has switched out the whole team. Let’s see how that plays out before we judge the man. That said a new system and he is in his second year but first year with the new team. Man gets a couple years.

For Wilson new coach same players with a new scheme. I am still not sold on the defensive coordinator as I believe he was hired to fill a hole out of desperation. That is just my opinion. So he as well needed to asses what he had and he will get a full recruiting cycle this off season.

What am I seeing? I am seeing the same type of play that the last years team was doing. I believe we had better receivers and a better QB last year than this year. I am seeing a defense that is a shell of what it once was not so long ago. What else am I seeing? We don’t have unsportsmanlike penalties. Ethan Hall hasn’t pissed me off yet and that has really surprised me.

It seems the culture has changed which is a start. Now it’s time to get some better players. You can’t fire a coach after a half season especially when the last one was here about 3 years too long. Everyone is slobbering all over Colorado because they have Deion and he switchex out his whole team. He has a losing record and now he has players on his team with discipline issues. I don’t see that here even though we have a losing record. We just got to get through this year. Let’s see what we get next year. Wilson will be here a minimum of 3-4 years.

That is always a possibility. But since both coaches came in late in the recruiting cycle and they both needed a team to put in the court or field they are using someone else’s players. Konkol has switched out the whole team. Let’s see how that plays out before we judge the man. That said a new system and he is in his second year but first year with the new team. Man gets a couple years.

For Wilson new coach same players with a new scheme. I am still not sold on the defensive coordinator as I believe he was hired to fill a hole out of desperation. That is just my opinion. So he as well needed to asses what he had and he will get a full recruiting cycle this off season.

What am I seeing? I am seeing the same type of play that the last years team was doing. I believe we had better receivers and a better QB last year than this year. I am seeing a defense that is a shell of what it once was not so long ago. What else am I seeing? We don’t have unsportsmanlike penalties. Ethan Hall hasn’t pissed me off yet and that has really surprised me.

It seems the culture has changed which is a start. Now it’s time to get some better players. You can’t fire a coach after a half season especially when the last one was here about 3 years too long. Everyone is slobbering all over Colorado because they have Deion and he switchex out his whole team. He has a losing record and now he has players on his team with discipline issues. I don’t see that here even though we have a losing record. We just got to get through this year. Let’s see what we get next year. Wilson will be here a minimum of 3-4 years.
Correct. He’s said in so few words that he’s trying to build something special which may not yield immediate results this season with the players we have

Regardless, Wilson’s class coming in is leaps and bounds better than anything Monty ever dreamed of bringing in.
I sure hope so. Hope his first priority is a decent QB and at least one sure-handed receiver. This is his last chance ever to coach, so I hope he tries to go out with his best effort.

I sure hope so. Hope his first priority is a decent QB and at least one sure-handed receiver. This is his last chance ever to coach, so I hope he tries to go out with his best effort.
The WR from Crandall Texas is going to be a stud I think. His class is very need based for us

He didn't let a 3000 yd passer walk out the door. He had to make a choice because he couldn't keep them both, due to ego of Dad. He may have made the wrong choice, but a choice he had to make. He saw that one passed well, and one ran, and 'seemed' to pass well.

Last edited:
He didn't let a 3000 yd passer walk out the door. He had to make a choice because he couldn't keep them both, due to ego of Dad. He may have made the wrong choice, but a choice he had to make. He saw that one passed well, and one ran, and 'seemed' to pass well.
Kid throws the ball like a shotput and needs mechanical help, but he has talent. Both QBs have talent, but can they be developed? And if they do develop, they will be able to move to a better team through the portal.

Face it, the way you built a team before is dead, it's all about money for the big time draws. The PAC 12 is dead, that was a conference with the same teams in it since before I was born. College football is now just the NFL minor leagues.

Where does the buck stop? So now the TU coach gets to pass the buck by blaming poor personnel decisions on player’s parents?

Where does the buck stop? So now the TU coach gets to pass the buck by blaming poor personnel decisions on player’s parents?
Neither player would have stayed if Wilson kept the other on the roster, period. He made a choice based on that. You are just being obstinate because you can.

Reactions: dougheffking
Are we saying that a guy who has already thrown 11 interceptions for Georgia Southern in 7 games and has the 81st ranked QBR wouldn’t have done that here?
Our top 2 QBs have combined for 10 TDs and 10 Ints. Brin has 14 TDs and 11 Ints against a weaker schedule. Brin was decent and maybe would have performed a little better to this point given his experience but he has many of the same issues as the guys we have.

Reactions: dougheffking
Are we saying that a guy who has already thrown 11 interceptions for Georgia Southern in 7 games and has the 81st ranked QBR wouldn’t have done that here?
Our top 2 QBs have combined for 10 TDs and 10 Ints. Brin has 14 TDs and 11 Ints against a weaker schedule. Brin was decent and maybe would have performed a little better to this point given his experience but he has many of the same issues as the guys we have.
It wouldn't shock me if Wilson sought out portal help at QB in the offseason, but I think Cardell will be damn good with more experience and another offseason. Braxton can hit the road for all I care.

He threw five of those interceptions in one game. Other than that game he avg 1 int per game. I don't know that the Sun Belt is not better than our conference this year.

Reactions: drboobay
He threw five of those interceptions in one game. Other than that game he avg 1 int per game. I don't know that the Sun Belt is not better than our conference this year.

The comparison I made probably isn’t fair because Brin throws a lot more for GSU than our guys are throwing here, but our schedule is rated significantly harder to this point

The comparison I made probably isn’t fair because Brin throws a lot more for GSU than our guys are throwing here, but our schedule is rated significantly harder to this point
Of course it is. But I was comparing the two losses that we had(besides UW & OU) to the two tougher wins they have on their schedule. C Carolina & UL Monroe would at least be equal to if not better than Rice and FAU. OU and Washington are by far better than James Madison & Wisconsin, but we would have lost to them as well.

He did a good job at Indiana. My goodness the dramatic bs in this post. Our recruiting class coming in is ridiculously good. Just stop.
What is your definition of a good job? He had a losing season every year at Indiana. And had a player abuse scandal.

He did the best at Indiana of anyone in a long, LONG, time.

Player abuse scandal LOL. Please don't be a moron.
So we’re settling for mediocrity? That’s what we want out of a coach? He wasn’t as bad as other coaches were in the past so might as well hire him. He didn’t win there but maybe if we bring him to Tulsa he can be mediocre here too. That’s not how to run a program. You will get left in the dust. We need a home run to get out of the AAC and into the Big 12. We already got left behind during the last wave of conference realignment due to Montgomery’s incompetence and our Athletic Department’s satisfaction with mediocrity.

Take a breath. He’s halfway through his first season with mostly another coach’s players, who got fired for underperforming. He did pretty decent at OU and the real OSU.

I’m as frustrated as you. Let this season play out. If we don’t see improvement next year then we have problems.

Take a breath. He’s halfway through his first season with mostly another coach’s players, who got fired for underperforming. He did pretty decent at OU and the real OSU.

I’m as frustrated as you. Let this season play out. If we don’t see improvement next year then we have problems.
We will see improvement based on talent upgrades alone. Still think we finish 6-6

What is your definition of a good job? He had a losing season every year at Indiana. And had a player abuse scandal.
The coaching ranks & media persons out there generally thought the program was showing signs of improvement. The impression was that he should have been given at least a couple more years to turn it around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT