ADVERTISEMENT

Official Arkie State Prediction Thread

I really don’t understand what you’re saying. We won’t fire Monty in a week or two. But we will in 5 or 6 weeks? I don’t get it.

I'm being sarcastic.

We have ten games this season as is. Some where in games 4-6 depending on how bad the losses or how dumb the decisions our interim AD will fire him. The DC will get promoted to interim.

At that point the positives of firing him will be overwhelming. The season will be a loss and as bad as last year. The new AD will get to hire his guy, we will have given Gillespie a run to see how he does, and word will get out for applicants to show interest before the rush. Plus the interim takes the baggage from firing him so the new AD doesn't have to deal with that to start. It won't cost us anymore money and might help prevent grad transfers with extra eligibility from this season who want to win. Depending on who we hire we might pick up one or two in key spots as well.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I'm being sarcastic.

We have ten games this season as is. Some where in games 4-6 depending on how bad the losses or how dumb the decisions our interim AD will fire him. The DC will get promoted to interim.

At that point the positives of firing him will be overwhelming. The season will be a loss and as bad as last year. The new AD will get to hire his guy, we will have given Gillespie a run to see how he does, and word will get out for applicants to show interest before the rush. Plus the interim takes the baggage from firing him so the new AD doesn't have to deal with that to start. It won't cost us anymore money and might help prevent grad transfers with extra eligibility from this season who want to win. Depending on who we hire we might pick up one or two in key spots as well.

I'm all for that scenario playing out. And if Rick needs someone to tell Monty he's out, I'll gladly be his hatchet man.

I could be wrong but Donaldson is in there some where.
Donaldson was gone in 1994. Dickson was the AD until 1996 before Judy took over under Dr. Lawless...most of the decisions made were Lawless'. Rader was fired November 1999, Lawless was President and Judy was AD. We had like 3 games left. I wasn't a fan of the decision back then but after you look at it and understand the politics of coaching searches...we basically were announcing a job opening and that we were really going to go hard after a top assistant. Can Monty now and you can have guys outside the dept. making unofficial contacts with people's people to find out if they'd be interested...like Lashlee. Of course the easy pick is Gillespie and I'd love to hold onto him but we need to score points to win games. I'd love to see if we could lure the Ark St coach away to a bigger conference and better opportunities because that guy can recruit and coach. Of course there is the old reliable fall back in TG (more importantly who he brings with him in GJ and The Milkman). The second we are no longer bowl eligible this season is when the ax MUST fall on Monty to announce to college football there is an opening in a P6.

Donaldson was gone in 1994. Dickson was the AD until 1996 before Judy took over under Dr. Lawless...most of the decisions made were Lawless'. Rader was fired November 1999, Lawless was President and Judy was AD. We had like 3 games left. I wasn't a fan of the decision back then but after you look at it and understand the politics of coaching searches...we basically were announcing a job opening and that we were really going to go hard after a top assistant. Can Monty now and you can have guys outside the dept. making unofficial contacts with people's people to find out if they'd be interested...like Lashlee. Of course the easy pick is Gillespie and I'd love to hold onto him but we need to score points to win games. I'd love to see if we could lure the Ark St coach away to a bigger conference and better opportunities because that guy can recruit and coach. Of course there is the old reliable fall back in TG (more importantly who he brings with him in GJ and The Milkman). The second we are no longer bowl eligible this season is when the ax MUST fall on Monty to announce to college football there is an opening in a P6.
I just feel like Gillespie is a continuation of a previous era with no proof of an ability to attract and retain assistants who can coach. He would be cheap though and the current players would likely be ok with it.

It’s strange to say because he’a never been here before, but Lashlee seems like a step backward to a previous era. He was actually my choice when we hired Montgomery, but five years on, it just feels dated. Him and a Phil Bennett type to mentor without all the recruiting and discipline problems. I don’t think we will be able to afford him if he gets Miami winning again.

Give me someone young who is innovative and cheap and has the proven ability to put together a FBS staff. We’ve had two in a row who have had no clue and no money to solve this problem.

Think Frost or Heupel, not Marion or Keopple.

Last edited:
I just feel like Gillespie is a continuation of a previous era with no proof of an ability to attract and retain assistants who can coach. He would be cheap though and the current players would likely be ok with it.

It’s strange to say because he’a never been here before, but Lashlee seems like a step backward to a previous era. He was actually my choice when we hired Montgomery, but five years on, it just feels dated. Him and a Phil Bennett type to mentor without all the recruiting and discipline problems. I don’t think we will be able to afford him if he gets Miami winning again.

Give me someone young who is innovative and cheap and has the proven ability to put together a FBS staff. We’ve had two in a row who have had no clue and no money to solve this problem.

Think Frost or Heupel, not Marion or Keopple.

Sure let me just go out to my backyard and pick one of those 😁

I agree with you on general. Gillespie is probably not the answer but he may be down the road and giving him a run now doesn't hurt. I would prefer a young go getter with connections, but there aren't a ton just waiting around. Which is another reason to look early mid-season to see if you can beat the end of the season rush. Since it seems likely there will be some teams not playing this year you could even possibly bring in someone mid year and start the process of switching.

Reactions: HuffyCane

Thanks I didn't want to go look it up. More my point that fantastic leadership hasn't always been present.

Arkie St guy is not the answer. They predominately recruit in the south east. We need texas connections. He also is very comfortable and well supported there.

Also just to be honest I need to see more than just the ability to beat Monty as a requirement. Obviously that a low bar.

Anyway we are at best a few weeks ahead of ourselves here.

Rick Dickson left TU in March 1994. I know that because I was covering TU at the time and it was one of the last, if not last, TU event I covered before switching careers. We named Chris Small as interim, who was essentially an academic working in administration. He resigned in 1995 and took a job back East at some tiny school doing admissions. The resignation was in response to Donaldson announcing his retirement for the following year at the end of the giving cycle and academic year in June of 1996. Judy was getting her Master’s and working ticketing and compliance. Dickson brought her on staff and mentored her and I assume played a role in advising that she be given the job full time in 1996.

And now you know why I earlier this month I stated I wouldn’t be surprised if we would be hiring an academic who thought he could do the job and be loyal or a woman looking for a big break. We needed the faculty to calm down then and we need them to calm down now.

For those of you wondering what the permanent will look like: after his pay cut, Dr. Gragg was making less than Dickson turned down before he decided to stay at Washington State in 1997.

Last edited:
Rick Dickson left TU in March 1994. I know that because I was covering TU at the time and it was one of the last, if not last, TU event I covered before switching careers. We named Chris Small as interim, who was essentially an academic working in administration. He resigned in 1995 and took a job back East at some tiny school doing admissions. The resignation was in response to Donaldson announcing his retirement for the following year at the end of the giving cycle and academic year in June of 1996. Judy was getting her Master’s and working ticketing and compliance. Dickson brought her on staff and mentored her and I assume played a role in advising that she be given the job full time in 1996.

And now you know why I earlier this month I stated I wouldn’t be surprised if we would be hiring an academic who thought he could do the job and be loyal or a woman looking for a big break. We needed the faculty to calm down then and we need them to calm down now.

For those of you wondering what the permanent will look like: after his pay cut, Dr. Gragg was making less than Dickson turned down before he decided to stay at Washington State in 1997.
Thanks. Dickson was the driver of us getting into the WAC which we started playing in 1996 right? I forgot about Chris being the interim. He was a VP level in charge of enrollment and admissions stuff. He came to MA in 1989 to interview and recruit me as a student to TU. He was from Connecticut originally. He went back to Trinity College in Hartford. I remember Judy in the ticket office (based out of the double wide at the NW corner of Skelly back then.

Thanks. Dickson was the driver of us getting into the WAC which we started playing in 1996 right? I forgot about Chris being the interim. He was a VP level in charge of enrollment and admissions stuff. He came to MA in 1989 to interview and recruit me as a student to TU. He was from Connecticut originally. He went back to Trinity College in Hartford. I remember Judy in the ticket office (based out of the double wide at the NW corner of Skelly back then.
He certainly helped. Coach Hudspeth made some phone calls as I recall. Coach Rader of course. Lots of help was needed pulling that off. It saved the program.

Last edited:

We need to have a lot of things calm down. In general this timing is awful for every thing in the bigger than Tulsa picture and because everything seems to be negative Tulsa could control, it's just even worse. Perfect storm type of timing.

I don't feel like it was caused by one big terrible decision either. More like a lot of small, kind of bad decisions rolling one into another and all having to be paid for, now at the worst time in general.

13-7 TU - 3 FGs called back due to horribly called Timeouts just before kicker nails the kick. Kicker goes 2-3 after being iced by own coach.

All I know is that if we want to win this season Collins is going to have to play the entire game. That boy needs his tacklin fuel so he doesn't cramp up!

tenor.gif

Would put it at 50/50.

Media suggests Memphis thinks their outbreak was caused by Arkie State.

TU admin is nervous our team will bring a super spreader back to campus if we play them too.

Also, they will beat us and we can’t fire a coach for losing if he refuses to play.

I say they cancel their rescheduled game with Central Arkansas, or play it at the end of the season. Then we can play each other on our open date on the 10th of October. I'm sure that's what they are working towards.

I'm just happy we didn't lose this week... Postpone isn't as tough of an opponent as Bye

I expect the game is cancelled. Too hard to make up and Arkie State has had too many COVID issues to not consider playing them a risk.

I expect the game is cancelled. Too hard to make up and Arkie State has had too many COVID issues to not consider playing them a risk.
This. Assuming we for sure don’t have a win threshold to meet to go bowling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT