ADVERTISEMENT

NWOSU Exhibition Thread

I don't care what position he played. I've seen how disruptive he was. I didn't say Jeffries wouldn't be a good defender. I just said that he needs to focus (mentally) on defense if he's getting beaten on a few plays by a bad DII team. I think he'all be really good this year. But if he's getting beat like consistently that he's not going to be Coley. He will be very good, but not Coley.

As far as people liking me I don't give a crap. Also, it's funny for a lawyer to give anyone advice on people liking you. I appreciate you thinking you're hot :crap:e with your northeast Oklahoma war stories. Maybe some day you will grow up. You don't impress me at all. Child.

The point is no one was even talking to you. BLA made the crazy comparison to Julius Peppers. I have three names that made more sense. Then you start talking about the holiest of Coleys and you never were in the building when he was, like most of the rest of us. I mean, good for you that you became a TU fan after that, but so much of what you say is misinformed and/or not informed by the experience of seeing how all that worked. It just seems like a good time to give it a break on your end.

I’m good at what I do. I’m not interested in affirmation from you. The war stories thread is fun. You can start your own war stories thread about Warcraft or whatever else it is that you do. But do that after you take a break from the board.

Aston, it's time to admit you're wrong on some things and cut your losses. When EVERYBODY calls you clown shoes it's probably time to look in the mirror. As they say...if it walks like a duck...
giphy.gif

I can’t tell if you mean that in a good way or bad way. Among the OKC crowd, that’s generally a bad name to throw out.
I always rooted for Lamb when he played for the Thunder. He seemed like he was trying his best, but he just wasn't quite quick enough for the NBA. Still, you have to be better than almost everyone playing college ball just to make an NBA roster.

I always rooted for Lamb when he played for the Thunder. He seemed like he was trying his best, but he just wasn't quite quick enough for the NBA. Still, you have to be better than almost everyone playing college ball just to make an NBA roster.

That’s all true. But they gave up Harden, in part based on the claim that Lamb looked good in the summer league. He wasn’t bad, but that was a big drop off in talent.

The point is no one was even talking to you. BLA made the crazy comparison to Julius Peppers. I have three names that made more sense. Then you start talking about the holiest of Coleys and you never were in the building when he was, like most of the rest of us. I mean, good for you that you became a TU fan after that, but so much of what you say is misinformed and/or not informed by the experience of seeing how all that worked. It just seems like a good time to give it a break on your end.

I’m good at what I do. I’m not interested in affirmation from you. The war stories thread is fun. You can start your own war stories thread about Warcraft or whatever else it is that you do. But do that after you take a break from the board.
The point is, I agreed with you on Peppers. Then, I mentioned the Coley comparison, which I admitted makes sense (it's who I thought he'd be before the season)! Adding that if he really wanted to be compared to Coley he would have to play better defense than he apparently did last night. You can't pull the age crap on me when there's video of Coley playing in multiple games online. I wouldn't deign to comment on any of the guys from the 80's because there's barely any evidence of how they played barring stats and some NBA footage of Pressey. Coley; however, you can get a pretty good idea of pretty quickly, which was part of what made him so special.

I wouldn’t dare talk about him if you weren’t there for it. Videos don’t even explain it. If you can find the plays where he dunked the ball on missed free throws shot by another player (it was a set play) or what he did to OSU or the game where he almost had a quadruple double, we’ll talk.

Hate to defend Aston because many times I don't agree with him. However, I was disappointed in the defense of Jeffreies last night. I have thought of him as a lock down defender that can guard a point or post. He seemed to get out of position a lot when guarding the perimeter player, (which is all our opponent had last night.) I suspect, as I mentioned in the game review post, the match ups were strange for him and first game at TU made things different. I am going on comments from our coaching staff that Jeffreies will be that lock down defender we need.

I wouldn’t dare talk about him if you weren’t there for it. Videos don’t even explain it. If you can find the plays where he dunked the ball on missed free throws shot by another player (it was a set play) or what he did to OSU or the game where he almost had a quadruple double, we’ll talk.
Telling me that he's even more special than I already think him to be doesn't really make sense when I was saying that I'm not sure xyz player will live up to his already lofty elevation in my mind. I know he was VERY special and could do a lot of things on the basketball court. The Coley reference was a good one. I just think if any Tulsa player should want to be compared to him, they have to be an extraordinary defender.

No they aren't. They are picked 11th in their 12 team league. They won 8 games last year and are expected to be worse this year. They are the bottom of DII.

That’s nearly the exact same thing you said about SEOSU when we played them

#4 JUCO recruit in the country. You bash our recruiting over ranking systems constantly and we finally get one who is highly ranked. Then you split hairs over whether he is good. Uh huh. You never saw him or Coley play in a TU uniform. Please just stop.

#4 JUCO recruit in the country. You bash our recruiting over ranking systems constantly and we finally get one who is highly ranked. Then you split hairs over whether he is good. Uh huh. You never saw him or Coley play in a TU uniform. Please just stop.
I know his recruiting rank. I have said multiple times in this thread he is going to be good at both offense AND defense. What more do you want? He's about the same size as Jordan. Should I compare him to Jordan with a jumpshot?

All I said was he needed to focus more than he (apparently) did last night on the defensive end to be Coley. I seriously don't see how you get peeved at that? I didn't say he couldn't do it. Or that he wouldn't do it. Just that he needs to keep working at it. Take a xanax friend.

That’s nearly the exact same thing you said about SEOSU when we played them

If SEOSU was picked next to last in the conference that year then my post was accurate. I don't believe they were btw. That team we played last night might turn out better than is predicted (looking at their roster and prior year's performance I doubt it) but the fact that they are projected as one of the worst teams in DII is accurate. Games against these types of opponents tell me nothing from a team standpoint. It does give us a look at some of the newcomers though....which is the positive I took from the game.

Watching the old NCAA game noting that two starters (Hill and Coley) were from the Tulsa area and one (Heard) from OKC. Need that local recruiting to get back to that level.

If SEOSU was picked next to last in the conference that year then my post was accurate. I don't believe they were btw. That team we played last night might turn out better than is predicted (looking at their roster and prior year's performance I doubt it) but the fact that they are projected as one of the worst teams in DII is accurate. Games against these types of opponents tell me nothing from a team standpoint. It does give us a look at some of the newcomers though....which is the positive I took from the game.

It seems you took my post to mean that I think NWOSU is good or even decent. They’re not. They’re terrible. The point was really that we’ve shown it’s possible to lose to a team that bad, but we won by 31 this time

It seems you took my post to mean that I think NWOSU is good even decent. They’re not. They’re terrible. The point was really that we’ve shown it’s possible to lose to a team that bad, but we won by 31 this time

That is true. I don't think there's any way we did any game prep or scouting for that game. It was a scrimmage. I liked the way the young guys looked. Defense still worries me.

Hate to defend Aston because many times I don't agree with him. However, I was disappointed in the defense of Jeffreies last night. I have thought of him as a lock down defender that can guard a point or post. He seemed to get out of position a lot when guarding the perimeter player, (which is all our opponent had last night.) I suspect, as I mentioned in the game review post, the match ups were strange for him and first game at TU made things different. I am going on comments from our coaching staff that Jeffreies will be that lock down defender we need.

He developed some bad habits in juco last year. It may take a minute, but all the tools are still there.

They were picked 8th out of 11 in the same conference that year.

Thanks...not sure two spots higher makes a huge difference but I guess NWOSU is technically worse. I thought SEOSU had more inside than the team we watched last night. NWOSU was two votes out of last place if that matters. That all said...we should NEVER lost to any of these teams.

Do you know how SEOSU did that year in their conference? They looked better than 8th to me.

Didn’t they have a really experienced coach? And two guys who got really hot that night?

Thanks...not sure two spots higher makes a huge difference but I guess NWOSU is technically worse. I thought SEOSU had more inside than the team we watched last night. NWOSU was two votes out of last place if that matters. That all said...we should NEVER lost to any of these teams.

Do you know how SEOSU did that year in their conference? They looked better than 8th to me.

They finished tied for 4th at 11-9. They were fine, but we trailed by 19 at one point in that game. I remember thinking at the time that it was the worst loss in our program's history.

Didn’t they have a really experienced coach? And two guys who got really hot that night?

Yes, they did. He figured out part way through the 1st half to run a weird offensive set with all off-ball guys standing at top of paint to set screens and then they'd cut off each other. Our coaches and players didn't figure out how to stop it until we were down big.

I agree with @ctt8410 in thinking it was the worst loss in program history.

If memory serves we didn't find out until after the game what Haith was dealing with at the time with his sister.

Way after the game. There were no excuses made. Could you imagine the list of complaints that Wojcik and Phillips would have had?

I know his recruiting rank. I have said multiple times in this thread he is going to be good at both offense AND defense. What more do you want? He's about the same size as Jordan. Should I compare him to Jordan with a jumpshot?

All I said was he needed to focus more than he (apparently) did last night on the defensive end to be Coley. I seriously don't see how you get peeved at that? I didn't say he couldn't do it. Or that he wouldn't do it. Just that he needs to keep working at it. Take a xanax friend.

I’m not your friend. Quit making baseless and classless aspersions about mental health. Find another hobby than annoying the serious posters on here. Thx.

I’m not your friend. Quit making baseless and classless aspersions about mental health. Find another hobby than annoying the serious posters on here. Thx.
^Further evidence for the need of xanax...FRIEND.

This board was particularly salty the night of the SEOSU loss. Felt bad for weighing in once I found out the circumstances surrounding the game.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
This board was particularly salty the night of the SEOSU loss. Felt bad for weighing in once I found out the circumstances surrounding the game.
Puts things in perspective , after all, it's just a game, I don't understand how a game divides people so much

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I can't blame Haith for that one. I can understand him wanting to do his job that night I just wish he hadn't felt compelled to do so. It was clear he was frustrated and unable to respond appropriately which was understandable. Shaq almost singlehandedly saved the day too. I would have understood had he put one of the assistants in charge that day. It might have helped.

Reactions: TULSARISING
I can't blame Haith for that one. I can understand him wanting to do his job that night I just wish he hadn't felt compelled to do so. It was clear he was frustrated and unable to respond appropriately which was understandable. Shaq almost singlehandedly saved the day too. I would have understood had he put one of the assistants in charge that day. It might have helped.
I just wish our fan base wasn't so divided on here over things they don't agree on over a game, we are all TU fans, we are never going to agree 100% on things, but that shouldn't divide our own fan base like it does! We all need to be ready to cheer on our team this year!

I have been following TU sports since the 50’s. Use to go out to the games when we played football with Wichita on Thanksgiving Day. For me, Coley is one of my all time favorites. At the end of the B.B. season we will know how Jefferies compares to Coley. If he only comes close to Coley, I will be happy.

Watching the video of the sweet 16 game in 2000, damn we played hard nosed man to man and our rotations left nothing. No passes, no lanes to the basket. Every coach should show that video and say "this is how you play defense"

I’m being a little petty but NWOSU ended up finishing 22-7 and second in their league :sunglasses:

I’ll join in on the pettiness! Some were acting like we were playing a team of western OK farm boys, but I pointed out that it was actually a team with a lot of inner city kids who transferred in from jucos. Their main problem was a lack of size. They definitely had quickness.

Last edited:
Reactions: URedskin54
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT